The Unwanted Clairvoyant. A different French strategy in WW1

I've noticed I'd started thinking of this TL as WWI's equivalent of Blunted Sickle.
Which, given Blunted Sickle's quality, is quite the compliment.

I've noticed I'd started thinking of this TL as WWI's equivalent of Blunted Sickle.
Which, given Blunted Sickle's quality, is quite the compliment.
Indeed, i share the same sentiment.
Since I took inspiration from Zheng He and PDF27's TLs and since I consider them as the most detailed, accurate and plausible TLs about WW2 on this forum (with Galveston Bay's work being a close second), I'm really touched by this compliment. Will do my best to continue that way. :)

Sorta curious how the front will work; I dunno if a 200-some mile trench line is necessarily going to come about. OTOH, how similar to Flanders/Northern France is East Belgium?

I just feel ITTL the Entente so far has had much control of the tempo of the war, so I don't see them allowing the Germans to dig in to the extent that they did IOTL.

Sorta curious how the front will work; I dunno if a 200-some mile trench line is necessarily going to come about. OTOH, how similar to Flanders/Northern France is East Belgium?

I just feel ITTL the Entente so far has had much control of the tempo of the war, so I don't see them allowing the Germans to dig in to the extent that they did IOTL.
Between the dutch border and Louvain, the terrain is the very definition of flatness with a decent number of canals/rivers. Along the Dyle river, between Aarschot-Louvain/Wavre, the terrain is less flat with small rivers and low ridges. Between Wavre and Namur, the terrain is again quite flat. Southeast of Namur, the terrain becomes more hilly. So I would say that between the Dutch border and Louvain, the terrain is roughly like Western flanders while Between Louvain and Longwy, it's more like in Eastern France OTL.
You're right about the Entente controlling the tempo but the problem is that the French and British Armies are not the Russian ones. They don't like to launch an offensive when you lack supplies and ammo. Right now, there are 750 000 French soldiers, 150 000 british and at least 100 000 Belgian ones (not including the ones in Namur and the Garde Civique Militia) in Belgium: that's 1000 000 men. Everyone of them need food and ammo, plus the shells, plus the medical supplies and personnel. On the top of that, France must hold the line along Longwy AND continues its push in Mulhouse. Plus these men, while winning and being aware of it, are marching and fighting for two weeks now without any interruption. The men need rest and the guns shells. Tannenberg was a huge defeat for the Russians because their men lacked supplies (even food!) and the artillery shells. Advancing and controlling the tempo isn't enough to win and to keep pushing forward. Finally, no one can forget the following reality: even retreating, even beaten, even exhausted, the German Army in 1914 remains a mighty foe, a force which is well commanded, well trained and well equipped. Look at Von Kluck ITTL: the man has managed to retreat without breaking against THREE Entente armies so far. That's an amazing feat and IMHO, for all his flaws, Von Kluck was still a good general.

Women began to be employed in factories in june 1915 OTL. So so far ITTL, the Entente governments don't feel the need to do so.
Wait, weren't women always employed at factories, pretty much since the start of industrial revolution? Or what you mean here is that governments made no effort to organise recruitment drives specifically targeted towards women?

I wonder how the entente will enjoy being the one to have inadequate railway connections, with the Germans enjoying the home advantage of connections?

Why a status quo? Time to retake Alsace-Lorraine and stop the Hun.

"Hi rest of world! It's us Germany! Sorry for killing a couple hundred thousand of your soldiers, and burning Belgrade, half of Belgium and a bit of France too! Since we couldn't burn down Paris as well could you please forget it all and sign a peace treaty based on the pre-war status quo? Oh while you are at it please leave all the territory you have captured from us of course. We promise that when we try this again in 5 years time, after you let us walk now, we'll do a proper job of wrecking Paris!"

Wait, weren't women always employed at factories, pretty much since the start of industrial revolution? Or what you mean here is that governments made no effort to organise recruitment drives specifically targeted towards women?
My bad, I meant women employed in factories producing weapons/munitions etc. Of course there are women working in factories per se.
I wonder how the entente will enjoy being the one to have inadequate railway connections, with the Germans enjoying the home advantage of connections?
Western Belgium has an EXCELLENT railway system. Don't worry for the Entente: for the moment their armies are mostly advancing on foot and the BEF has trouble in bringing supplies but when the railway system is repaired/fully manned after the chaos of August/September, the logistical issues will disappear.
Just to give an idea, here's a picture of the Belgian railway system. As you can see, their lines were connected to the french ones.
mil03.jpg

31st August. Eastern Prussia
31st August. Tannenberg. Eastern Prussia

At 8 AM, the German I Corps, under the command of General François, attacks the positions held by the Russian I Corps around Soldau. The German objective is to rout the enemy formation in order to outflank the Russian Army. However, after initial gains, François halts the offensive as he wishes to wait for his heavy artillery. Indeed the German general remembers his failure at Gumbinnen where his infantry had attacked without proper artillery support.

Further west, the Russian XXIII and XV Corps are on the offensive against the German XX Corps reinforced with the 3rd Reserve Division. General von Scholtz scrupulously follows the instructions given by Hindenburg and Ludendorff and repulses several assaults. He even launches a limited counter-attack which severely batters the Russian 2nd Division (XXIII Corps).

On the German Army’s left flank, the results are promising. The XVII and I Reserve Corps attack the Russian VI Corps at noon south of Seeburg. General von Mackensen has opted for a series of small and vigorous attacks against the Russian 4th Division in order to harass and finally overwhelm the enemy formation. This proves to be successful and at dusk, the Russian VI Corps, while not destroyed, is routed, retreating in disorder towards Ortelsburg.

During the evening, Generals Hindenburg and Ludendorff as well as Colonel Hoffmann have dinner together and discuss the results of the first day of fighting. Overall the situation is favourable. With the neutralization of the Russian VI Corps, Mackensen is now free to concentrate efforts against the Russian units attacking the XX Corps. When François will destroy the Russian I Corps, Samsonov’s Army will be encircled.

Furthermore, the reinforcements sent by Coblenz have finally arrived. The 1st Landwehr Division, commanded by General von der Goltz will reinforce the defences around Posen with the 31st and 32nd Landwehr Brigades while the IX Reserve Corps and the 33rd Reserve Division will be used for the battle.

However, some unexpected news contribute to trouble the German officers. First of all, the Russian XIII Corps has managed to avoid the 3rd Reserve Division and the I Reserve Corps and is now slowly heading towards Allenstein. While serious, the situation is not critical. The IX Reserve Corps will establish defensive positions around Allenstein in order to repulse and eventually destroy the enemy formation.

But at midnight, reports begin to arrive. During the afternoon, planes have spotted large enemy formations near Rastenburg, less than 40 kilometres from Seeburg. Hindenburg realizes that Rennenkampf has advanced faster than anticipated. If the Russian First Army managed to bypass or vanquish Mackensen, the Eighth Army will be trapped and forced to retreat to avoid destruction.

During the night, the three German officers study their options. After the relative successes of the day, the Army could fall back and establish solid defensive line along a north-south axis, between Braunsberg and Lobau, using the numerous lakes and railways at their advantages in order to create several bottlenecks where they would concentrate their forces. The solution is favoured by Ludendorff but harshly criticized by Hoffmann. Hoffmann himself supports a continuation of the offensive: the XVII and I Reserve Corps can hold against Rennenkampf long enough to destroy or at least maim Samsonov’s forces. Finally Hindenburg decides that “half-measures are not enough to prevail”: the battle will continue. Mackensen with the XVII and I Reserve Corps will hold his ground against Rennenkampf near Bischofstein, a few kilometres northeast of Seeburg.

31st August. Between Allenburg and Friedland. Eastern Prussia

The German 1st Cavalry Division and 2nd Landwehr Brigade are attacked by the entire Russian XX Corps. Outnumbered five to one, and in spite of a stubborn resistance, the German troops are forced to fall back towards Konigsberg during the night. At dusk, General Smirnov, commander of the XX Corps, temporarily establishes his headquarters in an inn dominating the old battlefield of Friedland.

battle of Tannenberg.jpg

This is looking potentially very dangerous for the Germans. If Eighth Army gets wrecked, there's really nothing else on the Eastern Front, is there?

Anything that goes better for the Russians would be better than what they got IOTL...

Looking forward to the next update...