The Universal Religious Colour Scheme (TURCS without Caicos)

upload_2017-12-25_19-45-14.png

And below is a map of original religions in different parts of the world (colours not in palette: Zamolxism in Balkans, Druidism in Britain and Spain, Kemetism in Egypt, Nabatean in NW Arabia, Semitic pagan in Yemen, Zuni in Afghanistan)
upload_2017-12-25_19-48-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-25_19-41-47.png
    upload_2017-12-25_19-41-47.png
    80 KB · Views: 1,151
A map of common non-reformed Christian denominations of the Old World, by traditional distribution.
upload_2017-12-25_20-14-15.png

A map of traditional distribution of Protestant/Reformed denominations. Anglican, Reformed, Protestant,Hussite, Uniate, Maronite, Chaldean and Old Believer
upload_2017-12-25_20-23-58.png

I have realized that while my key does cover most of current religions, it would fail in most of AH scenarios, and even by 400 AD it would be quite difficult.

The standard key leaves one continent untouched, as I have no idea how to divide "Fetishist", while knowing that Wolof and Zulu traditions are quite distict, indeed. Therefore, I am open to suggestions from you guys.

Also I am planning to add six more expansions:
  1. Dawn of Civilization, for pre-476 scenarios
  2. Pagans of the World,Divide , to cover various mythologies more specifically
  3. In Search for Nirwana (to deal with organized religion in lands east of the Indus river , which means I will need some help here)
  4. Yet Another Schism (the various branches if Christianity until the burning of Jan Hus)
  5. A Myriad of Denominations (the various branches of Protestantism, as well as new religious movements)
  6. A God of the Rings (for LotR scenarios).
The earliest expansion will reach this thread most optimistically on Thursday evening, more probably on Friday.
Anyhow, I am open to suggestions and lists.

With those extensions, TURCS will definitely catch on. I have also gone over to using religion colours for extremist states of that religion, @Skallagrim and so, such schemes will catch on even for maps not centred around religion per se.

Any suggestions for The Dawn of Civilization?

A proposal:
  • Egyptian group
  • Mesopotamian group
  • Semitic group
  • Anatolian group
  • Abrahamic group (without Christianity and Islam)
  • Hellenistic group
    • Philosophic subgroup
    • Mystery subgroup
  • Iranian group
  • Gnostic group
    • Early Gnostic subgroup
    • Christian Gnostic subgroup
    • Islamic Gnostic subgroup
  • Islamic group
    • Sunni subgroup
    • Shiah subgroup
    • Kharijiy subgroup

Last edited:
List of Bugs
  • Maronite colour identical to Animist, to be changed fixed
  • Mithraic mysteries lack a colour. Will be fixed when Mithraism is added fixed
  • Fix islamic gnostic name
  • Wikipedia lists a separate Luwian religion. Should I add it to Anatolian?
  • Beta Israel denomination to be added
  • Add some NAmerican mythologies
  • Add Sufism
  • Add Mutazilism
  • Add Gnostic denominations: Bardasianites
  • Add more Jewish groups
  • Add Georgian and Vainakh mythology, add Kalash people
  • Add Georgian patriarchate colour, for Serbia and Bulgaria as well
  • Monithelits ar NOT Maronites. They deserve a separate colour.
  • Add following: Pneumatomachians, Origenism, Anomeanism.: Origenism not added, as there was no schismatic movement around him.
  • Add Military orders for non-Catholic religions
  • Add Edinovertsy
  • Knights Hospitaller
  • add Skoptsy
  • Add Johannites as Gnostic sect

Last edited:
The Dawn of Civilization
Religion table.png

I decided NOT to add Islam into The Dawn of Civilization, due to Islam emerging at a much later date, but mostly because of me being tired :/ and thinking Islamis a way too diverse religious group to be dealt with at such time. As you may notice, some religions do appear more than once, with Mandeism appearing three times, mostly due to difficult classification.

Last edited:
You mean the Islamic subgroup of "Gnostic"? well the thing is that the members of those branches actually declare themselves to be part of "Shia islam", mostly to escape persecution, as has been written numerous times on M. Izadys maps: http://gulf2000.columbia.edu/maps.shtml . I know it does lack some logic, but why have I lumped them into that subgroup? well because they declare themselves as Muslims (The Druze doing it so very rarely, e.g. for the purposes of the Syrian constitution)

ST15RM

Banned
You mean the Islamic subgroup of "Gnostic"? well the thing is that the members of those branches actually declare themselves to be part of "Shia islam", mostly to escape persecution, as has been written numerous times on M. Izadys maps: http://gulf2000.columbia.edu/maps.shtml . I know it does lack some logic, but why have I lumped them into that subgroup? well because they declare themselves as Muslims (The Druze doing it so very rarely, e.g. for the purposes of the Syrian constitution)
Dude I don't think anyone who is Muslim will mind. Just call the group "Arabic"

Dude I don't think anyone who is Muslim will mind. Just call the group "Arabic"
If this post gets more likes than mine below (

)

then I will implement the change :) .

Although I have realized that neither the Alevis, nor the Zikris, nor the Yarsanis and Yezidis speak Arabic though (speaking mostly Kurdish dialects, with some Alevis speaking Turkish, and the Zikris speak Baloch). Leaving us with Arabophone Druze and Alawites. If we consider that over a half of the denominations in the group don´t speak Arabic, such a change would be even more confusing

ST15RM

Banned
If this post gets more likes than mine below (

)

then I will implement the change :) .

Although I have realized that neither the Alevis, nor the Zikris, nor the Yarsanis and Yezidis speak Arabic though (speaking mostly Kurdish dialects, with some Alevis speaking Turkish, and the Zikris speak Baloch). Leaving us with Arabophone Druze and Alawites. If we consider that over a half of the denominations in the group don´t speak Arabic, such a change would be even more confusing
I just got a like. And FYI "Arabic" isn't referring to the language, it is referring to the peninsula.

If we're being pedantic, "Arabic" refers to the language, and "Arabian" to the geographical region (and when they're not being referred to ass Arabs, both seems to be in common use to refer to the people).

Really, saying "Arabic" doesn't refer to the Arabic language is like saying that "English" does not refer to the English language.

The Dawn of Civilization, Description
Kemetic
Key deities: Amon, Ra, Isis
Key locations: Siwa, Giza, Karnak, Thebes
Liturgical language: Egyptian
Atenism
Key deities:Aton
Key locations: Amarna
Liturgical language: Egyptian
Elamite:
Key deities: Kiririsha, In-shushinak, Jabru
Key locations: Susa, Awan, Anshan
Liturgical language: Elamite
Sumerian
Key deities: Enlil, Enki, Inanna
Key locations: Ur, Uruk, Lagash, Nippur
Liturgical language: Sumerian
Babylonian
Key deities: Anu, Enki, Enlil, Ishtar, Marduk
Key locations: Babylon, Ur, Akkad
Liturgical language: Sumerian, Akkadian
Ashurism
Key deities:Ashur
Key locations: Ashur, Niniweh, Dur Sharukkin
Liturgical language: Akkadian, Aramaic
Canaanite
Key deities: Baal, Melqart, El
Key locations: Tyre, Ugarit, Carthage
Liturgical language: Canaanite
Nabatean
Key deities: Dusharra, al-Uzza, Manat
Key locations: Petra, Sobata, Bostra, Hegra
Liturgical language: Nabatean
Arabic
Key deities: Hubal, al-Uzza, Manat
Key locations: Mecca, other locations
Liturgical language: Arabic
Hittite
Key deities: Tarhunt, Telipinu, Inara
Key locations: Arinna, Ain Dara, Nerik
Liturgical language: Hattian, Hittitte
Hurrian
Key deities: Šauška, Teššub, Kumarbi, Nergal
Key locations: Yazilikaya, Kahat, Urkesh
Liturgical language:Hurrian

TBC

Also, the next upcoming expansion will cover the lands from Gibraltar to Ordos, from Ural to Madagascar, so awiat the Crescent of the Saracens