Narrative Appendices: Yes or No

• Yes

• No

• Neither: Build a canal (Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be funny if his wife is NOT having an affair, but the investigation turns up that the secretary is scheming to kill David and become Aftokrator/Emperor himself.

Why the hell didn't anyone tell me that LIV was titled 'Opening Shits'?
  1. The first sentence, prefacing the update, referred to it as "probably shit;" part of me figured there was a theme going on.
  2. As the others have said, it was immensely funny.
Interesting stuff in the latest update, though. I like the choice of using lightly colored text to refer to mental-Mgeli speech - feels a bit more like inner speech than italicized text, plus the blue=holy connotation is both appropriate and not too intense a contrast from the normal text. No idea as to what might come of the investigations, but regardless of outcome it's going to be another strain on his mind. While he is not in the most rational of headspaces, I'm hoping he doesn't end up cracking during his reign as these kind of stresses accumulate. It would nice to see a "mad, but competent" ruler be able to end his story on a high note.

On a more fun note: would it be appropriate to say that David has a case of Mgelimania?

Last edited:
Why the hell didn't anyone tell me that LIV was titled 'Opening Shits'?

April 1527, Trapezous

David sloshed the wine in his cup, staring out from the palace window. The vista was beautiful, the tree-covered hills of the surrounding valleys burnished light shades of orange and pink by the setting sun and almost seemed to glow with vibrant energy. On any other night, it would have been captivating, but David had more pressing issues in mind, namely, his marriage.

He had returned from the front only yesterday, and had expected Ioncela to be….well, anything, really. Happy to see him, angry that he hadn’t bothered to visit her during his brief stopover in the capital, relieved that he had survived, disappointed that he had survived, lustful because of his long absence. Instead, he thought as he watched her knit, she had all the emotion of a hazelnut. She hadn’t even looked at him more than once or twice since he’d gotten back. A part of him was resentful, he was a busy man after all, and it had been difficult to clear his schedule for the several hours they had been sitting together. Wroth is a sin, he reminded himself, wroth is a sin. Still, it was strange that she hadn’t even spoken to him about affairs in the capital while she had been regent. That gave him an idea….

“Ioncela,” he said, sliding forward in his chair. It had been years, and he still hadn’t come up with a pet name. Ionca? Iona? “I don’t suppose anything of import happened while I was gone, did it?”

She paused, thinking for a second. Her skin seemed milky in the setting sun. “No.”

“Anything, anything at all? Not even merchants having it out on the docks or a random arson?”

Ioncela looked up from her knitting, then dropped her eyes once again. “No, not that I can remember. The details on everything that transpired should be in the report that Kantakouzenos will have for you tomorrow.”

“Who’s Kantakouzenos?” David asked, words tumbling from his mouth before he could think.

Ioncela blinked. “Oh, Kantakouzenos is my secretary. He was of immense help while you were gone, he probably deserves a promotion.”

“Your secretary?”

“Oh, yes. I couldn’t do everything by myself, you have quite the job. I believe he worked with your father.”

She resumed knitting without changing posture or expression. David sat tense like a coiled spring, hand clenched around his cup. With careful, strained deliberacy he set it down and rose, walking deceptively calmly out of the room. The second the doors were shut behind him he began to pace across the antechamber like a trapped lion.

I could have that bastard in one of the secret rooms under the palace in half an hour, he thought. I shouldn’t, of course, there’s no real grounds other than my suspicion, but I'd really, really like to. Besides, Kantakouzenos had it coming, he’d help enable some of the worst parts of my predecessor’s rampage, he’d even helped create the papiai. It’d be ironic, hoist with his own petard, as the Latins said. It was almost certain Ioncela had done something, even if she was a foreigner no one could spend three years in the palace without hearing of Kantakouzenos’ lechery and general blackguardness. She had taken him on as secretary, of all things! Secretary! I have every right to have them both arrested and tortured into giving up the scheme and then mounting their heads on pikes above the port gate!

But you won’t. Mgeli commanded, his voice stern and cold. You won’t execute your wife on grounds of paranoid delusion. At least your father had the decency to wait until your mother tried to kill him.

David sucked in a breath, ignoring Mgeli’s pointed reference to his predecessor. Him waiting was what caused his death. I’m no paranoid madman, and I can’t prove it, but I know they’re involved!

What you’re going to do is send papiai to tail both of them to see if anything is happening between them, so that if they are involved you won’t turn the entire city against you.

He sighed. Mgeli was right. He was dead certain that his wife was cheating on him, but if he moved without solid, tangible proof, then everyone in the capital and probably most of the Empire would conclude that he had gone insane like Alexios had and he’d be off the throne in weeks. He should wait to see if anything conclusive could be found before he acted.

He resumed pacing, at a much slower speed, while he tried to calm himself with other thoughts. He’d taken to writing hymns in the praise of the Lord, various saints and angels in an attempt to ape his namesake, and forcing himself to recite the frankly awful poetry was generally good at taking his mind off things. After reciting a few dozen stanzas likening the tribulations of the faithful to the shearing of sheep in the summer, he felt calm enough to ease open the door and return to his seat. He stared at his wife for several minutes, scrutinizing every inch of her uninterested visage for signs of deceit.

The outburst had brought him perilously close to an immensely sinful act, and he knew that he had to make things right with God again. It was only fair, after all, for him to repay the victory at Boyabad and the guiding voice that was Mgeli? It was high time he visited one of his orphanages, after all, he hadn’t seen any of them since he had left for Kartvelia two years before. He’d give alms, see to the ‘children of the aftokrator’ and pray for wisdom and support, then see what happened with Kantakouzenos and his wife. Of course, the papiai wouldn’t be letting either of them out of their sight for the next few….years, probably, but they would still be alive for the next while.

Thank you, he thought, unsure of what else to say to the spirit in his mind.

It’s my duty. Mgeli replied, his tone much softer.
Good appendice which develop character psychology !

Eparkhos

Banned
I should note that I'm not *really* coming back from hiatus, I'm just posting whenever I get the time. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

I should note that I'm not *really* coming back from hiatus, I'm just posting whenever I get the time. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Don’t worry slow down if you want to. As a fanfic writer, I know what it’s like getting a writing high and plopping down everything in your head so slow down so the writers block doesn’t hit you too badly

So I have to ask, how technologically developed are the Trebizonites around the 1520s? At this time it's clear that they won't get far without adopting and stepping up to contemporary military practices. Maybe due to the discovery of the New World the crops from there help to sustain their position on the Pontic coast. A major factor in the decline of the Silk Road and the empires which rested on it (The Ottomans, Iranians, and Mughals) was the discovery of the New World and the shift it caused in the global system. Naval power in the ocean became key over land control and that was key to the rise of the British and Portuguese empires.

Knowing many Greeks I know that they are a very sea-friendly (and mercantile) people, so who knows! Maybe we might see a Trebizonian Sumatra or a lot more Constantine Phaulkons running around in southeast Asia.

Eparkhos

Banned
Alright, before I get to the questions, I have a question:

I'm working on an update describing the collapse of the Golden Horde and the downfall of Nogai Ahmed. I have a narrative segment planned but I don't have the time to write it today. I can either a) release the non-narrative stuff tonight, or b) wait and release it all tomorrow. What do you guys think?

I'm working on an update describing the collapse of the Golden Horde and the downfall of Nogai Ahmed. I have a narrative segment planned but I don't have the time to write it today. I can either a) release the non-narrative stuff tonight, or b) wait and release it all tomorrow. What do you guys think?
B. Release tomorrow

It's best to take your time and get it right the first time. We can wait for perfection.

B - ive been thinking other stuff, ill let you know later.

Option B

Eparkhos

Banned
It amused me...
I thought you did that intentionally.
*Mutters* Alright, you get a pass this time. ;)
To be fair, it was kinda funny. Plus, I don't think anyone here was much of a buzzkill to criticize your title choices.

Nice to see you back on the timeline, Eparkhos!
Thanks. I'll keep going as best I can. I'm quite invested in this TL, but IRL stuff can be quite draining.

Status
Not open for further replies.