• Yes

• No

• Neither: Build a canal (Results)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eparkhos

Banned
No, they're OK--sometimes you need to use more words to describe events...
Not at all, i do like long updates myself, frankly. One of the criteria, even though it is a silly one, that i use to begin a new story is precisely the length.

When you are doing good writing, the length doesn't matter that much.
Good to know.
@Sphenodon
Most intriguing. Not sure which set of options would be most interesting to observe - the wayward Turkmen and Candarids managing to conquer Egypt and establish a Turco-Arabic polity, the Mamluk system's fall leading to the rise of a more conventional Arab sultanate, or the Mamluks' collapse simply leading to a fragmentation of state power in Egypt and the rise of multiple regional regimes. I'm predicting the former, but with how this is described as the Turks causing the collapse of the Sultanate rather than its conquest leaves room for a number of possibilities.
Why not all three?!
I am also interested in seeing how long the new Sultanate of Rum manages to exist. The fact it is consistently referred to as "Neo-Rumite" implies to me that it will probably not survive very far into the modern period, as most "Neo-[X]" names are exclusively retrospective (ex: Neo-Babylonian and Neo-Assyrian Empires, which most certainly weren't used by the states' contemporaries). If I had to guess, either Trebizond and the Ottomans will gradually whittle it down to nonexistence, the Candarids in Syria will annex their turf, or both. The Qutlughids will probably involve themselves, though with the time of modern warfare drawing ever closer I don't see them being more than an accessory actor in whatever fall the Rumites experience.
So the Rumites will definitely end up as (rum)p state in central Anatolia, but the question is which direction the crippling blow will come from. I think I'll keep Kadir around for the next while, so I don't want to hurt them too bad right now, but there's definitely a laundry list of potential killers who have them on their list. There's the Trapezuntines, obviously, and the Ottomans too, and the Chandarids' newer subjects certainly aren't going to be too fond of them, and the Qutlughids are still miffed about Malatya and Erzurum, and they've been bothering the Mamluks' and the Latins' trade. And, of course, there's always the possibility of Albanian conquest.
Missing your footnotes...

Good update, though...
Sorry, I'm really tired, I'll fix it tomorrow.
With the Neo-Rumites having pissed off the Qutlughids something fierce, its likely with Kadir invading the Trapezutines, the Qutlughid ruler will see an opportunity.
This is true. But, I've already had the Qutlughids bail out the Trapezuntines once, so events won't be that straight forward.
Interesting faceoff is coming !
Thank you Flos, I hope you'll enjoy it.

@Pio2013

Without the Safavids to catalyze them, there are also a bunch of Qizilbash Turks and mystic orders floating around the Greater Azerbaijan area. It's always possible he could fall in with them. Come to think of it, if I ever write a fantasy novel I think I'll just rip the labels off of this region and set it there.

Part LIV: Opening Shots (1526)

Eparkhos

Banned
I'll be honest, this is probably shit. I wrote it right after I had the accident so it's not that good, but I just have a shit ton of school stuff I have to do and a perpetual headache and I just can't bring myself to rewrite it, you know?

Part LIV: Opening Shots (1526)

The rivalry between Trapezous and Rûm had lasted for centuries. The Trapezuntines, with a direct if tenuous connection to the glories of old Rome itself, considered themselves to be the sole legitimate successors of that venerable empire and thus took the Rûmite’s belief that they were the true heirs as not just insolent but a direct insult to their realm and their dynasty. The Rûmites, for their part, believed that they had become the heirs of Rome by force of arms and the Trapezuntines foolishly and insolently refused to acknowledge this, presenting an insult to both their realm and their dynasty. Because of the mutual intransigence of their positions, the two states had been locked in a cold war since the beginning of the Neo-Rûmite Sultanate in the 1490s. Raiding and counter-raiding had been commonplace across their long shared border, but for more than thirty years it never escalated beyond that. An uneasy and weak peace had been worked out, sufficient to prevent the outbreak of outright war, but little beyond that. Then the death of Kilij Arslan V at the hands of a Pontic assassin radically upset the balance, leaving the Neo-Rûmites howling for blood. As Rûmite outriders flooded over the frontier, the Trapezuntines would realise too late that a great and terrible scourge had fallen upon them…

On the night of 26 January 1526, the sultan of Rûm, Kilij Arslan V, was in his study with his grand vizier, Iskandar ibn Ayyub al-Saamat. The sultan and al-Saamat were discussing the problem of recurring raids by Turkmen tribes under Qutlughid protection, which happened to take place beside a window. Backlit by the light of the room, the sultan was an easy target for Skaramagos, who crouched behind the dome of a nearby building. A single quarrel split the night sky, taking the sultan through the heart and killing him instantly. The killer then fled before a search could be organized. Within a day, most of Kilij Arslan’s sons were dead as well. Fearing his assassination by an overly-ambitious heir, the sultan had ordered that his adult sons be served poisoned wine before any of them took the throne. As wine was forbidden under Islamic jurisprudence[1], he expected that God would intervene to keep his ablest son from drinking the foul liquid. Unfortunately, the only who refrained were his sons Ibrahim, who was by all accounts a very kind and gentle man completely unsuited for ruling, and Kadir (b.1508). Kilij Arslan had suspected Kadir’s mother of infidelity and thus after his birth had him castrated and his mother put to death. The presence of an inexperienced and minor son of the old sultan upon the throne was sure to cause problems, but before any other members of the Karamanid dynasty could try and unseat him, he struck. Declaring that the assassin must have been in the service of the Trapezuntine aftokrator, who had seemed to be marshalling for war a few years before, he issued a formal declaration of war in late February and began preparing an invasion.

The nafjayş was in and of itself an impressive force--especially by the standards of a state only two generations removed from existence as a federation of Turkmen tribes--but it would not be sufficient to win the war itself. As such, Kadir began mobilizing conscripts from across the Rûmite realm to supplement the nafjayş. Not wanting to waste the advantage of surprise, he dispatched the Zazas of the standing army to raid into Trapezuntine territories and cause general havoc and mayhem to slow the mustering of the bandons and redeployment of forces from the east. Most important, he gave their commanders the initiative to seize anything or anyone that they deemed may be important to the war effort. Many of the Zazas were stationed in cities close to the border, especially in Sivas, Erzincan and Erzurum, from which they could threaten the Pontic heartland itself. Within days of the proclamation of hostilities, they ranged deep into enemy territory.

The chief goals of the Zaza raiders were to sow chaos in the frontier zone, aiming to prevent the frontier defenses from being fully manned and the bandons from mustering out to join the war proper. In this they were very successful, spreading terror across the Trapezuntine hinterland with fast-moving terror attacks that would appear and disappear like the mountain demons of Lazic folklore. Their targets varied from villages and hamlets to barracks, fortified camps and overlays, in addition to their universal attacks on roads and bridges, which would dramatically slow any attempt to respond and drive them out. Many of the local bandons were caught piecemeal and shattered by the mobile and skilled horse archers, but in some areas they were able to cordon off defensible areas and resist the raiders by force of arms. Despite the success of these efforts, the greatest impacts the Zazas would have on the course of the conflict came on two singular occasions. The Trapezuntines had, understandably, not been the kindest to the Turks who they had recently conquered, and because of this there was a great deal of resentment in areas that still held large Turkish populations. These were concentrated along the frontier, and in many places small camps or villages were incited to revolt against the Greeks. Such events would even take place in cities. In early March, the raiders crossed the frontier in central Nikaia, arriving at the trading town of Nalisaray, which still held a Turkish majority. Several ulema within the town incited their followers to revolt, and the mob of angry Seljuks and Turkmen were able to storm several gatehouses and throw open the portculli, surrendering the city to the Rûmites.

Tarkhaneiotes sprung into action, knowing that time was of the essence. David had about a third of the realistic forces available to Trapezous at that moment all the way in Kartvelia, and worse still those men had been primarily drawn from the bandons along the coast, which meant that the most secure and strongest of the units were hundreds of kilometers away. Even worse, it was almost entirely coastal bandons who were holding Alexandria and the Gothic hills from the Golden Horde, which had swamped the rest of Perateia within weeks of that conflict beginning. He ordered the bandons to muster out across the Empire, knowing that he had little time before the Rûmites were too widespread to be contained. Several dozen ‘divisions’ of four bandons east were hastily formed with their mustering point set to be the nearest defensible hardpoint, and riders sent out across the country to organize them. Depending on the proximity of Turkish forces to the hardpoint, they would either dig in or move to a secondary regional center, where they would join with other divisions into a proper army. While the bandons were rushing together, Tarkhaneiotes also mustered a mixed force of mercenaries, veteran refugees from Kartvelia (of which there were many) and the bandons closest to Trapezous to defend the Alys Gorge and keep the Rûmites from getting any ideas about penetrating into Pontos proper, altogether numbering some 10,000 strong.

Meanwhile, across the lines, Kadir had managed to raise some 20,000 men from both the militias around the capital and the nafjayş, which could be reinforced by militias drawn from near the border, by the end of March. He set out at once for the north, hoping to reach Inner Paphlagonia within a few weeks’ time, at which point he could begin a determined and forceful offensive against Trapezuntines in that region. The sultan’s hope was that by taking all of Inner Paphlagonia with haste--not too demanding of a task considering the large Turkish populations present within the region--he could essentially break the back of the Greek Empire, forcing them to rely on more difficult and expensive sea transport to connect Bithynia and Pontos. By doing so with great alacrity, he could shock the Trapezuntines into submission and force them to cede his conquests with little loss on his own part. He expected that it would take several wars to dismember the Trapezuntine state, and believed that a quick and speedy annexation of Paphlagonia would be the best way to start this off. As he and his men advanced, they began to face supply problems, as they were crossing what was essentially a giant desert that had been depopulated of its inhabitants, who would usually help succor an army such as his, by his grandfather’s anti-Turkmen campaigns of the previous century. A handful of Turkmen bands had managed to survive in the most isolated parts of the desert, and they came out in full force in hopes of being able to take a crack at the sultan himself, revenge for their slaughtered families.

To the west, Nikaia was in a secure position. The southern mountains protected it from the brunt of the Turkish assault, but it still faced attacks from the west and, increasingly, the north-west. It was fortuitous that Lakharnas, the regent there, had taken David’s instructions in regards to the junior empire’s defenses to heart and fully enacted the bandons system there, as well as constructing a number of fortifications on all possible routes of attack. Within weeks of the war beginning, he was able to raise a force of nearly 10,000 to secure the western half of the joint Greek realm. He moved with great vigor, not waiting for the Turks to arrive in his domain to begin countermeasures across all of it. After the fall of Nallisaray, he recognized that the southern plateau cities of Nikaia could not be held at the time being and gave the order to abandon Beypazar, evacuating its populace to safety in the north and destroying all Turkish property within the city, enslaving its Turkish residents and putting them to use as forced labor for the benefit of the Megalokomnenoi. After the surrender of the aforementioned city, he became certain that the Turkish Trapezuntines would betray them and ordered the general massacre of Turks across Nikaia, going so far as to kill every Turk above the age of three in Bolu. He attempted to advance on Gerede and mete out a similar fate, but was forced to retire by the arrival of Turkish outriders in his flank during a battle with the Geredean militia west of that town. He also installed garrisons in Pontoherakleia and Amastris, seeking to bring all Trapezuntine forces in the west under his central command.

While the butchery of so many innocent Turks did ensure that Bolu and similar cities remained under Greek control, it had the exact opposite effect in Paphlagonia. Most cities dissolved into street fighting between garrison forces and Greco-Armenian militias on the one hand and Turkish militias on the other, the latter often being reinforced by Zazas and allies from Rûmite territories. Gerede was taken by Rûmite forces before Kadir and his army had even reached Lake Tuz, while Safranbolu and Eflani both fell within a few weeks’ time thanks to the vigor of the local Turkish militias and the shocking alacrity of Rûmite cavalry. Kastamone would see some of the worst of the internecine fighting, as its garrison commander, Ioannes Khaltzes, was fully aware of how much of crushing morale blow the loss of the city would be to his empire and ordered his men to fight on to the last. Despite the large Turkish population, the Trapezuntine forces emerged victorious after several days of slaughter, putting every Muslim in the city to the sword and razing all of their buildings and mosques. Supplies were rushed into the city by Tarkhaneiotes’ command, as many innocents as possible evacuated, and the garrison and militias settled in for a siege.

By the end of May, the situation in the Trapezuntine Empire had seemed to settle some, but in fact had merely hit terminal velocity in its free-fall. Two armies drew nearer as June did as well, David’s from the east and Kadir’s from the south. The First Rûmite-Trapezuntine War was about to begin in earnest….

Last edited:
I fear this war is going to suck for the people of Anatolia as much as the Mongol invasion will for the Georgians. Poor folks.
Why not all three?!
In succession, or at the same time? 👀

In honesty, it's not that hard to see these coming into fruition at the same time. Some kind of Syrian Turkmen polity could well come into being from the large population that just emigrated from Rûm (or alternatively become a new appendage of the Candarids), and if we assume that a Mamluk civil war would mostly focus on the cities of the Nile Delta, it's not unlikely that the remaining holdings east of the Suez Peninsula could spring into independence. Ethiopia might even be able to get in on the action with rapid enough opportunism, making use of the collapse of Mamluk power in the North to put some tendrils into Nubia.
So the Rumites will definitely end up as (rum)p state in central Anatolia, but the question is which direction the crippling blow will come from. I think I'll keep Kadir around for the next while, so I don't want to hurt them too bad right now, but there's definitely a laundry list of potential killers who have them on their list. There's the Trapezuntines, obviously, and the Ottomans too, and the Chandarids' newer subjects certainly aren't going to be too fond of them, and the Qutlughids are still miffed about Malatya and Erzurum, and they've been bothering the Mamluks' and the Latins' trade. And, of course, there's always the possibility of Albanian conquest.
Certainly not the most inviting diplomatic outlook. Even ruling out the possibility of a great Albanian conquest, they seem to have a vast number of enemies and vanishingly few friends. Not so much an issue if their geographical position was better-secured, but between most of the irritated parties having direct borders and their heartland's productive capacity being so flimsy, it certainly doesn't look good. We will have to see how long Kadir manages to clutch out a niche for New Rûm, at least.

And, of course, there's always the possibility of Albanian conquest.
That would be very interesting to see. I believe the current leader served once with the Ottoman army before the civil war took place.

It would be hilarious to have a Skanderbeg figure rise out of the Ottoman system to be the main power propping it up. Maybe he get the title of bey from Constantinople to legitimize him.

He's also a somewhat familiar creature that's neutral and strong enough to wrangle and check the Turkic frontier remnants and the Ottoman leadership can use him to stabalize, recover, and play them off the Turks they have employed currently.

I hope at least David can stop the Rumites (and I think he will succeed as the two defeats will definitely cause the destruction of the Trepezuntine Empire) and expand downwards for strategic depth as that's what David wants. I also really want to see what's
what's happening with the Albanians. Will they win and take land from the Turks? A big Albanian Empire is something I'd like to see.

Good to know.
@Sphenodon

Why not all three?!

Sorry, I'm really tired, I'll fix it tomorrow.

This is true. But, I've already had the Qutlughids bail out the Trapezuntines once, so events won't be that straight forward.

Thank you Flos, I hope you'll enjoy it.

@Pio2013

Without the Safavids to catalyze them, there are also a bunch of Qizilbash Turks and mystic orders floating around the Greater Azerbaijan area. It's always possible he could fall in with them. Come to think of it, if I ever write a fantasy novel I think I'll just rip the labels off of this region and set it there.
You're welcome !

I'll be honest, this is probably shit. I wrote it right after I had the accident so it's not that good, but I just have a shit ton of school stuff I have to do and a perpetual headache and I just can't bring myself to rewrite it, you know?

Part LIV: Opening Shits (1526)

The rivalry between Trapezous and Rûm had lasted for centuries. The Trapezuntines, with a direct if tenuous connection to the glories of old Rome itself, considered themselves to be the sole legitimate successors of that venerable empire and thus took the Rûmite’s belief that they were the true heirs as not just insolent but a direct insult to their realm and their dynasty. The Rûmites, for their part, believed that they had become the heirs of Rome by force of arms and the Trapezuntines foolishly and insolently refused to acknowledge this, presenting an insult to both their realm and their dynasty. Because of the mutual intransigence of their positions, the two states had been locked in a cold war since the beginning of the Neo-Rûmite Sultanate in the 1490s. Raiding and counter-raiding had been commonplace across their long shared border, but for more than thirty years it never escalated beyond that. An uneasy and weak peace had been worked out, sufficient to prevent the outbreak of outright war, but little beyond that. Then the death of Kilij Arslan V at the hands of a Pontic assassin radically upset the balance, leaving the Neo-Rûmites howling for blood. As Rûmite outriders flooded over the frontier, the Trapezuntines would realise too late that a great and terrible scourge had fallen upon them…

On the night of 26 January 1526, the sultan of Rûm, Kilij Arslan V, was in his study with his grand vizier, Iskandar ibn Ayyub al-Saamat. The sultan and al-Saamat were discussing the problem of recurring raids by Turkmen tribes under Qutlughid protection, which happened to take place beside a window. Backlit by the light of the room, the sultan was an easy target for Skaramagos, who crouched behind the dome of a nearby building. A single quarrel split the night sky, taking the sultan through the heart and killing him instantly. The killer then fled before a search could be organized. Within a day, most of Kilij Arslan’s sons were dead as well. Fearing his assassination by an overly-ambitious heir, the sultan had ordered that his adult sons be served poisoned wine before any of them took the throne. As wine was forbidden under Islamic jurisprudence[1], he expected that God would intervene to keep his ablest son from drinking the foul liquid. Unfortunately, the only who refrained were his sons Ibrahim, who was by all accounts a very kind and gentle man completely unsuited for ruling, and Kadir (b.1508). Kilij Arslan had suspected Kadir’s mother of infidelity and thus after his birth had him castrated and his mother put to death. The presence of an inexperienced and minor son of the old sultan upon the throne was sure to cause problems, but before any other members of the Karamanid dynasty could try and unseat him, he struck. Declaring that the assassin must have been in the service of the Trapezuntine aftokrator, who had seemed to be marshalling for war a few years before, he issued a formal declaration of war in late February and began preparing an invasion.

The nafjayş was in and of itself an impressive force--especially by the standards of a state only two generations removed from existence as a federation of Turkmen tribes--but it would not be sufficient to win the war itself. As such, Kadir began mobilizing conscripts from across the Rûmite realm to supplement the nafjayş. Not wanting to waste the advantage of surprise, he dispatched the Zazas of the standing army to raid into Trapezuntine territories and cause general havoc and mayhem to slow the mustering of the bandons and redeployment of forces from the east. Most important, he gave their commanders the initiative to seize anything or anyone that they deemed may be important to the war effort. Many of the Zazas were stationed in cities close to the border, especially in Sivas, Erzincan and Erzurum, from which they could threaten the Pontic heartland itself. Within days of the proclamation of hostilities, they ranged deep into enemy territory.

The chief goals of the Zaza raiders were to sow chaos in the frontier zone, aiming to prevent the frontier defenses from being fully manned and the bandons from mustering out to join the war proper. In this they were very successful, spreading terror across the Trapezuntine hinterland with fast-moving terror attacks that would appear and disappear like the mountain demons of Lazic folklore. Their targets varied from villages and hamlets to barracks, fortified camps and overlays, in addition to their universal attacks on roads and bridges, which would dramatically slow any attempt to respond and drive them out. Many of the local bandons were caught piecemeal and shattered by the mobile and skilled horse archers, but in some areas they were able to cordon off defensible areas and resist the raiders by force of arms. Despite the success of these efforts, the greatest impacts the Zazas would have on the course of the conflict came on two singular occasions. The Trapezuntines had, understandably, not been the kindest to the Turks who they had recently conquered, and because of this there was a great deal of resentment in areas that still held large Turkish populations. These were concentrated along the frontier, and in many places small camps or villages were incited to revolt against the Greeks. Such events would even take place in cities. In early March, the raiders crossed the frontier in central Nikaia, arriving at the trading town of Nalisaray, which still held a Turkish majority. Several ulema within the town incited their followers to revolt, and the mob of angry Seljuks and Turkmen were able to storm several gatehouses and throw open the portculli, surrendering the city to the Rûmites.

Tarkhaneiotes sprung into action, knowing that time was of the essence. David had about a third of the realistic forces available to Trapezous at that moment all the way in Kartvelia, and worse still those men had been primarily drawn from the bandons along the coast, which meant that the most secure and strongest of the units were hundreds of kilometers away. Even worse, it was almost entirely coastal bandons who were holding Alexandria and the Gothic hills from the Golden Horde, which had swamped the rest of Perateia within weeks of that conflict beginning. He ordered the bandons to muster out across the Empire, knowing that he had little time before the Rûmites were too widespread to be contained. Several dozen ‘divisions’ of four bandons east were hastily formed with their mustering point set to be the nearest defensible hardpoint, and riders sent out across the country to organize them. Depending on the proximity of Turkish forces to the hardpoint, they would either dig in or move to a secondary regional center, where they would join with other divisions into a proper army. While the bandons were rushing together, Tarkhaneiotes also mustered a mixed force of mercenaries, veteran refugees from Kartvelia (of which there were many) and the bandons closest to Trapezous to defend the Alys Gorge and keep the Rûmites from getting any ideas about penetrating into Pontos proper, altogether numbering some 10,000 strong.

Meanwhile, across the lines, Kadir had managed to raise some 20,000 men from both the militias around the capital and the nafjayş, which could be reinforced by militias drawn from near the border, by the end of March. He set out at once for the north, hoping to reach Inner Paphlagonia within a few weeks’ time, at which point he could begin a determined and forceful offensive against Trapezuntines in that region. The sultan’s hope was that by taking all of Inner Paphlagonia with haste--not too demanding of a task considering the large Turkish populations present within the region--he could essentially break the back of the Greek Empire, forcing them to rely on more difficult and expensive sea transport to connect Bithynia and Pontos. By doing so with great alacrity, he could shock the Trapezuntines into submission and force them to cede his conquests with little loss on his own part. He expected that it would take several wars to dismember the Trapezuntine state, and believed that a quick and speedy annexation of Paphlagonia would be the best way to start this off. As he and his men advanced, they began to face supply problems, as they were crossing what was essentially a giant desert that had been depopulated of its inhabitants, who would usually help succor an army such as his, by his grandfather’s anti-Turkmen campaigns of the previous century. A handful of Turkmen bands had managed to survive in the most isolated parts of the desert, and they came out in full force in hopes of being able to take a crack at the sultan himself, revenge for their slaughtered families.

To the west, Nikaia was in a secure position. The southern mountains protected it from the brunt of the Turkish assault, but it still faced attacks from the west and, increasingly, the north-west. It was fortuitous that Lakharnas, the regent there, had taken David’s instructions in regards to the junior empire’s defenses to heart and fully enacted the bandons system there, as well as constructing a number of fortifications on all possible routes of attack. Within weeks of the war beginning, he was able to raise a force of nearly 10,000 to secure the western half of the joint Greek realm. He moved with great vigor, not waiting for the Turks to arrive in his domain to begin countermeasures across all of it. After the fall of Nallisaray, he recognized that the southern plateau cities of Nikaia could not be held at the time being and gave the order to abandon Beypazar, evacuating its populace to safety in the north and destroying all Turkish property within the city, enslaving its Turkish residents and putting them to use as forced labor for the benefit of the Megalokomnenoi. After the surrender of the aforementioned city, he became certain that the Turkish Trapezuntines would betray them and ordered the general massacre of Turks across Nikaia, going so far as to kill every Turk above the age of three in Bolu. He attempted to advance on Gerede and mete out a similar fate, but was forced to retire by the arrival of Turkish outriders in his flank during a battle with the Geredean militia west of that town. He also installed garrisons in Pontoherakleia and Amastris, seeking to bring all Trapezuntine forces in the west under his central command.

While the butchery of so many innocent Turks did ensure that Bolu and similar cities remained under Greek control, it had the exact opposite effect in Paphlagonia. Most cities dissolved into street fighting between garrison forces and Greco-Armenian militias on the one hand and Turkish militias on the other, the latter often being reinforced by Zazas and allies from Rûmite territories. Gerede was taken by Rûmite forces before Kadir and his army had even reached Lake Tuz, while Safranbolu and Eflani both fell within a few weeks’ time thanks to the vigor of the local Turkish militias and the shocking alacrity of Rûmite cavalry. Kastamone would see some of the worst of the internecine fighting, as its garrison commander, Ioannes Khaltzes, was fully aware of how much of crushing morale blow the loss of the city would be to his empire and ordered his men to fight on to the last. Despite the large Turkish population, the Trapezuntine forces emerged victorious after several days of slaughter, putting every Muslim in the city to the sword and razing all of their buildings and mosques. Supplies were rushed into the city by Tarkhaneiotes’ command, as many innocents as possible evacuated, and the garrison and militias settled in for a siege.

By the end of May, the situation in the Trapezuntine Empire had seemed to settle some, but in fact had merely hit terminal velocity in its free-fall. Two armies drew nearer as June did as well, David’s from the east and Kadir’s from the south. The First Rûmite-Trapezuntine War was about to begin in earnest….
It seems like Kadir is kinda unprepared to a surprise....

In honesty, it's not that hard to see these coming into fruition at the same time. Some kind of Syrian Turkmen polity could well come into being from the large population that just emigrated from Rûm (or alternatively become a new appendage of the Candarids), and if we assume that a Mamluk civil war would mostly focus on the cities of the Nile Delta, it's not unlikely that the remaining holdings east of the Suez Peninsula could spring into independence. Ethiopia might even be able to get in on the action with rapid enough opportunism, making use of the collapse of Mamluk power in the North to put some tendrils into Nubia.

Upper Mesopotamia seems a region which the Turkmen could take over and it's also where most Turkmen in the region lives today. The region have a mix of irrigated farming and herding, it's dominated by steppes. So the Turkmen could move in displace the Arab herders and set themselves up as overlords over the local Arab and Assyrian farmers and urban populations.

Nice update! I think a look to the east would be good, it'd sure be interesting to see what the Persians have been up to.
Any chance of a map any time soon btw?

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
You know, guys, I'm kind of getting tired of writing these. I think that I'll stop for a bit once I get done with this arc.

Part LV: The Best Defense (1526 - 1527)

Eparkhos

Banned
Part LV: The Best Defense (1526 - 1527)

By the time David and whatever forces he could scrape together from the east returned to Trapezous, things were rapidly spiraling out of hand. The Rûmites had overrun much of Inner Paphlagonia and now seemed poised to finish the job, as Kadir and his forces approached with enough firepower to level Boyabad and Kastamone, the only fortresses standing between the Turks and the Pontic lowlands. The bandons were scattered across the country and would need time to be reorganized into a fighting force, time that neither David or Trapezous had. Trapezous was on the verge of being crippled or utterly destroyed and nothing seemed able to stop it, except for maybe a miracle….

The aftokrator landed in his capital on 25 March, having spent the last three weeks on a manic march across the plains of Imereti before taking ship in Vatoume and making a harrowing voyage back to Trapezous, buffeted by fierce winds and waves as he went. He was greeted on the docks by a small crowd led by Alexios Kaballarios, his megas domestikos, who told the aftokrator that he had escaped from prison the day before, only hours before his scheduled execution, and had had to hide in a drain pipe until he spotted the returning monarch. David had left a bureaucrat named Thomas Papadopoulos as his regent before departing for Kartvelia the year prior, hoping that his timid nature and all-around tepidity would keep him from getting any ideas in his absence. This had worked for a time, but as soon as word of the Rûmite invasion came, the glorified desk jockey panicked and handed the regency off to an experienced general fresh from the provinces. This was a fairly smart move, and had he summoned, say, the megas domestikos, who was at that time dealing with what he thought were some Turkmen raiders in the Lykos Valley, it could have led to a smooth transition of power that would help the Trapezuntines face down the invaders. Hell, if he had called up one of moirarkhs from Trapezous’ hinterlands, it could have helped create a united front. Instead, Papadopoulos summoned Sabbas Tarkhaneiotes from Sinope and appointed him regent, without even bothering to inform David of doing this[1].

Tarkhaneiotes had moved at once. This was a golden opportunity, if he was able to route the Rûmites now, he would be the savior of all Trapezous and all Greeks and he could finally, finally, have enough legitimacy to overthrow the Komnenoi and install himself as aftokrator. He summoned Kavallarios to the capital and then arrested him, along with anyone else who would have the desire to inform the aftokrator of this quasi-usurpation. Kavallarios had been particularly troubling, and so after getting the greenlight from the Patriarch he scheduled his execution before gathering up the bandons from the surrounding region and marching west to join the fray. Kavallarios had managed to dodge his execution, of course, and now David was very, very angry at this upstart. He and his men quickly went through the city, freeing all of Tarkhaneiotes’ political prisoners and arresting all of his supporters, installing Kavallarios as his new regent. He then set about scraping together a force of bandons, mercenaries and slave soldiers to deal with the invading hordes, and this one prick of a subcommander. He had managed to assemble a ragged and makeshift force by the middle of April; 5,000 veterans from Ananuri, 17 (4,250) bandons, 2,500 mercenaries and 500 conscripted vagabonds and slaves with no value other than acting as human shields. With this semblance of a campaign army, he set out along Tarkhaneiotes’ trail two months behind.

By the time he reached the Alys Gorge, things had changed dramatically once again. Kadir had arrived in Paphlagonia only two days behind David himself, and like Tarkhaneiotes he had immediately leapt into action. Splitting off two forces of 2,500 men each, his lieutenants had laid siege to Kastamone and Boyabad, respectively, pinning down the two largest Trapezuntine forces on the plateau and threatening the ancestral capital of the Megalokomnenoi itself in one smooth move[2]. He sent cavalry forward to scout and probe Trapezuntine defenses in Outer Paphlagonia and western Pontos, while he kept the bulk of his forces in reserve on the Plateau, where they would be free to strike at will. He had, in his mind at least, placed himself into the ultimate advantageous position; if the Trapezuntines or Nikaians struck out at him, he could intercept them and crush them; if they cowered on the other side of the mountains, then Kastamone and Boyabad would be taken with ease, opening the road across the mountains and attaining his goals for this first war. Of course, it would be preferable if the Ponts came out into the open so he could slaughter them but hey, it was his day to lose either way.

Special vigor was devoted to the assault on Kastamone, as Kadir calculated that a determined and prolonged assault there would serve best to draw out the Trapezuntines. Dozens of cannons were brought up to the city, subjecting the defenders and their families to round-the-clock bombardment from all directions. The city’s walls had been rebuilt under Ratetas, so the Trapezuntines were able to withstand the punishing bombardment with relatively light casualties. Cannonballs and other projectiles--the former soon nicknamed ‘Kadir’s stones’ pounded away at the city’s defenses for hours on end, crews of gunners rotating in and out to keep the assault constant and only breaking when the guns threatened to overheat and explode. Gradually, the hastily-erected dirt berms which had been raised around the city were worn down[3], clearing the way for direct assault, and the stone and mortar walls of the city seemed as if they would be next. Khaltzes, knowing that the defenders would be unable to repulse a direct assault, raced to put together a response, and eventually, figured one out. The cannons on the city’s walls were too exposed to Rûmite artillery and would be blow to hell if their crews tried to man them there; given the primitive stage of cannon development, this meant that they could be barely used at all and thus were able to lay down suppressing fire to lessen the constant bombardment. Khaltzes ordered the cannons taken off the walls and raised levers so that their barrels just barely rose above the top of the wall and then opened fire, his men missing most of their shots but succeeding in forcing the Turkish cannonade to be pulled back, which bought them and their comrades more time. The Trapezuntines had just invented the howitzer. Kadir used this as an excuse to desist from any assaults, but in truth he didn’t wish to lose any men on what was supposed to be a bait attack. Throughout May and June, the worst months of the siege, he waited in his camp, which lay some twenty miles east of the city, for news of a Trapezuntine response, but none seemed to mobilize. At the same time, his scouts didn’t report any concentration of men other than the smallish force that was holding the Alys Gorge. Would David not only sacrifice two of his cities, but leave a highway into his heartland barely defended? The Trapezuntines must have been gutted by the war in Kartvelia, he concluded, there was no way in hell that they would do something as stupid as this! What the hell was going on?

This abnormally quiet state of affairs continued for the next six weeks, throughout the end of June and all of July. Kastamone itself was forced to surrender due to starvation on July 14, but Kadir treated the starving defenders with surprising mercy, calculating that dangling the threat of razing the city and massacring its inhabitants over the Trapezuntines would be worth more than just doing so outright and throwing away such a lovely opportunity for extortion. The main point of attack was shifted to Boyabad; the continued presence of a Pontic garrison there made any advance down the Alys nigh-on impossible, and holding it would essentially slash the heel of any future Pontic offenses into Inner Paphlagonia. Cannonade pounded away at the city’s formidable citadel, which rose some two hundred feet above the surrounding plain and had been fortified by successive rulers ever since the Çandarid anarchy in the 1460s. The Rûmites, meanwhile, merged their siege forces together and dispatched 5,000 men to test the Nikaian section of the frontier for any weakness, keeping some 25,000 men behind at Boyabad All the while, Kadir sent further probing expeditions down the Alys, wondering where the Trapezuntine army was. He would soon find out.

On the evening of 10 August, a ragged and dazed-looking rider came into the Rûmite siege camp outside Boyabat, asking to be brought to see the sultan. When Kadir met him, the man informed him that he was the commander of one of his Zaza formations, and that everyone else in his unit was dead. He wove a tale of woe and destruction, speaking of how his and several other Zaza formations, as well as several thousand militiamen and would-be ghazis from the eastern edge of the sultanate had come together west of Ezurum to meet a supposed Trapezuntine invasion force. The Rûmites, numbering some 6,000 strong, had made contact with and given chase to an estimated force of seven bandons up the Lykos Gorge, where that river’s valley narrowed to only a few dozen feet wide and was surrounded by sheer cliffs. The horsemen were able to enter with relative ease, as a dry summer had weakened the river to a bare tickle. They had rounded a bend in the canyon to see the Ponts scrambling up the cliffs on rope ladders and a torrential wall of water--supposedly fifty feet high--surging towards them. The lucky captain had managed to grab hold of one of the ladders and cling to it as the flood swept his men and his comrades downstream to their deaths. Once the floodwater had receded, he had found a horse and ridden with all speed to Boyabad to inform the sultan of this disaster, for there were no more fighting men left in the east. The captain then drew his sword and fell upon it.

Couriers flooded in from all directions in the following days, bearing confused and panicked messages from all across the northern half of the Rûmite Sultanate. Seeming hordes of Ponts had come swarming out of the mountains, catching the unsuspecting Turks completely off-guard and supposedly carrying the day wherever they went. Hundreds, no, thousands, of Rûmite soldiers and militia had been slain, thousands more wounded or deserted, dozens of towns had been captured or burned, and hundreds of Greek and Armenian slaves freed. Kadir was overwhelmed with it all and struggled to sort through the influx of pleas for aid and salvation, spending all of his time trying to get a handle on the situation and subsequently not paying attention to the events playing out to the north as his army grew ever more splintered….

Back in early May, David had arrived at the Alys Gorge to find Tarkhaneiotes camped before its mouth with an army slightly smaller than his own, dug in after barely repelling a Rûmite reconnaissance in force a few days before. The aftokrator stormed into the camp demanding to know what the hell Tarkhaneiotes thought he was doing and threatening to send him on the next ship to Alexandria, only to be met by a smug general who ignored his threats. Tarkhaneiotes explained that this army was loyal to him after he successfully turned back the Turkish assault, and as they were about a third of the total Trapezuntine force in the field at that point, David couldn’t do anything; punish or try to kill him, and he would make him a martyr. The young ruler stormed out in cold silence, plotting already.

Tarkhaneiotes woke two days later with a bag over his head and a horse between his legs, head stuffed from the cocktail of sedatives a loyal officer had placed in his drink. After a few moments, his ears stopped ringing and the sack was roughly pulled off, revealing a cold David shouting to the assembled army how he had caught Tarkhaneiotes trying to slip out of the camp with maps of the camp and formations written in Persian, doubtless meant for the Rûmites. The eleutheroi had to beat back the angry mob of men that rushed the bound general, and it was only with great effort that David calmed the soldiers. Tarkhaneiotes was sent back to Trapezous under armed guard, with orders for Kaballarios to throw Tarkhaneiotes in a sunless hole under constant surveillance, to be killed if anyone tried to break him out--as he repeatedly told the bastard--and to then had the regency over to Ionela and come join him as soon as possible.

David then turned his attention to the situation at hand, finding it not to his liking. While the nominal strength of his force was equal to the Rûmite army that laid siege to Kastamone, it was equal to the Turks only on paper, and the Trapezuntines would certainly be defeated if they attempted to meet the Rûmites on an equal field, and likely even if an action took place on ground that was to the Ponts’ favor. However, he couldn’t just leave Kastamone and especially not Boyabad out to be conquered, as their loss would give the Rûmites an open road into the Pontic heartland. After some time, he concluded that his best option was to try and pull off Rûmite forces so that he could strike against the bulk of their force and relieve Boyabad.

Once Kaballarios arrived in the Trapezuntine camp, David was able to begin implementing his plan. Eight of the twenty bandons which had accompanied him to Ananuri and back would be broken off, along with sixteen bandons either freshly raised or from Tarkhaneiotes’ army, giving him a force of some 6,000 men and leaving 15,000 men to hold the pass. Kaballarios was charged with whipping the motley bands into a true fighting force in David’s absence, and to give backbone to this force the surviving eleutheroi and most of the Trapezuntine artillery train were left with him. Meanwhile, David sent a coded message to Lakharnas in Nikaia, asking him to begin an offensive southward on the day after the Transfiguration[4]. Meanwhile, the aftokrator and his newly-mounted force of infantry[5] rushed eastward; timing must be tight if David’s plan were to work.

On the designated day, the offensive began. Lakharnas’ force exploded out of the Bithynian hills, moving with alacritous speed for an entirely infantry force. The Rûmites had focused the bulk of their forces at Gerede and Nalisaray, as these had been the expected sites for a counter-attack, and so they were completely unprepared for 5,000 Nikaian footmen to coming streaming south-west out of the mountains, running along the edge of the Ottoman frontier before swinging out to attack Eskişehir on 10 August. The city’s garrison had been transferred to Nalisaray, and so the militia of the town were unprepared for such a sudden attack. The Nikaians feasted and pillaged the city--Lakharnas had turned his army into a giant flying column, prioritizing speed and maneuverability over supply--before moving out two days later, continuing his south-westward run. Five days later, the Nikaians arrived at Kütahya, a major trading city on the western edge of the plateau. Once again, the defenders were caught off guard and the city was taken, but rather than pillaging as in Eskişehir they burned the city, smashing the kilns of the city’s ceramic district and destroying anything that couldn’t be nailed down. They then turned north and made for Nikaia, Lakharnas being forced to abandon his desired burning of Eskişehir by the arrival of several thousand Rûmite horsemen. The Nikaians would manage to escape back across the frontier near Kolpazar, the Turks nipping at their heels. The operation, in the west at least, was a complete success.

In the east, David and his mounted infantry began their offensive on the same date, striking south from Neokasieria on horseback. They struck first at Tokat, succeeding in drawing the garrisons of Erzincan and much of the Rûmite east into a pursuit down the Lykos Gorge. David had intended to pin them down and massacre his pursuers in the narrow valley, but as it turned out it was much easier to just overload the irrigation dams on the southern end of the valley and then blow them, hence annihilating the Rûmite force with shockingly few losses. He then advanced to Erzincan on 24 August, advancing without cannons or a baggage train in another instance of speed prioritization. Erzincan was one of the few Shiite centers of Anatolia and as such had little love for the Konya regime, and David was able to strike a deal with the Qizilbaş, a militant Shiite order from the surrounding hill country; the Shiites would keep the Trapezuntines supplied, and in exchange the Pontics would leave them unmolested.

David then left his expeditionary force, riding with all speed north-westward accompanied only by a small group of guards. As planned, he met with Kaballarios en route and confirmed that everything was going to plan, after which the two commanders continued their ride, completing their switching of commands. While the aftokrator continued Kaballarios’ training of the makeshift army, the megas domestikos continued David’s breakneck offensive. He dispatched two bandons to seize Erzurum, the far easternmost possession of the Rûmites, in an ultimately doomed expedition.. Kaballarios then continued his southward advance, taking the cliffside citadel of Çemişgezek by deception, then using its captured artillery to pound the mountaintop fortress of Harput into submission before advancing on Malatya, raiding the lands around the city before retreating.

These raids had the desired effect of forcing Kadir to split his forces, as the fall of a city as large and prominent as Malatya would be a nightmare for a regime such as his, and some 10,000 of the 25,000 Rûmite soldiers in Paphlagonia were hastily sent eastward or westward to supplement the local militias that were doing the bulk of the fighting against the Pontic raiders. Even worse, as far the sultan was concerned, Boyabad remained defiant and the campaign season was drawing to a close, meaning that he would have to dismiss the militia in his already reduced army, only further weakening his position. With great reluctance, the sultan gave the order in early November, hoping that the snows and the frost would keep the Trapezuntines at bay for long enough for him to reassemble his army in the spring. David, meanwhile, was eagerly awaiting the end of the winter, having already committed his forces to winter camp; the Rûmite levies would be forced to traipse back and forth across their realm to return to their homes and then back to the field army, while the bandons would have to cross only a tenth of that distance.

The future of Rûm and Rome hung in the frosty winter air….

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Papadopoulos would later claim that his message to David had been lost at sea, but the veracity of this is undeterminable.
[2] Kadir had done a great deal of research on Trapezuntine governance and mentality before his invasion, and the significance of Kastamone was not lost upon him.
[3] Dirt berms were commonly raised to prevent cannonballs from impacting directly on the ramparts of a fortress, making enemy assault much more difficult
[4] That is, 7 August.
[5] Mounted infantry are just that, infantry who ride to and from the battle but cannot actually fight in the saddle.

It would be a real shame if you burned yourself out. You are doing a great job with this story with a engaging narrative, impressive world-building and a astonishingly breakneck pace. I'm sure nobody is going to fault you if you take some time for yourself. Especially in such trying times (no idea where you live, but here in Brazil the pandemic is raging at it's worst, and with a worrying political crisis as well) it can be really easy to exhaust yourself, especially if you are still recovering from your accident. Thank you for dedicating yourself to write such a wonderful story, but your health and motivation are more important than anything.

As always, a wonderful update. David's whirlwind campaign is doing wonders to stall the Turkish advance, against all odds. And he is ruthless, really ruthless, even though he doesn't not and can not always win. A very effective prince indeed. You were spot on, David gave some strong Andreas Niketas vibes in that update, and i always expect good things from references to that demi-god of Alternate History. So far, you are doing a very strong profile of him, and i'm very excited to see where this is going.

It's perfectly valid to take a break if you're feeling burned out writing the timeline. Considering you basically spent the past few months posting a high quality timeline at a breakneck pace, I think you deserve it.

I just want to say 1) take all the time you need/want 2) this is a really good timeline and despite everything you've dealt with lately I think you're still putting out great content and I hope that if you take an extended break you'll come back to the story sometime because it's a good story and you're a good writer. I would also pay a few bucks if you want to self-publish this as an ebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.