The Two Golden Lions - a Thirty Years War timetree

Finally it is time, I think, to continue this work.

The next bit is coming; for the time being, I give a small recap of what has happened so far:

In 1630, Wallenstein is not dismissed as commander, hence the imperial army under Wallenstein and the army of the Catholic League under Tilly continue operating independingly.

In exchange, the Emperor waives his plans to centralize his power in the Empire, and recognizes the individual states a bit more as allies and a bit less as vasalls. Importantly, this includes a (one-sided) truce with the Protestant German states.

Saxony tries to exploit this situation by declaring itself the leader of the Protestant German princes,
propagating the "third way", a position which is self-assurely Protestant, but largely loyal to the Emperor.

At this point, this thread ramifies into three separate branches, constituting independent but comparable timelines
(That's why this thread has the word 'timetree' in its name). The events that triggered the splitting into the branches
are mainly military details.

BRANCH A: The Swedish king Gustav Adolph catches the Liguist army under Tilly by surprise and almost annihilates it.
=========
Saxony has nothing to counter him, and is forced into an alliance with Sweden. Gustav presents himself as the true advocat
of all Protestants. - The idea of a 'third way' has therefore found an early end, and the conflict has readopted the nature of a religious war.

BRANCH B: Tilly unites his forces with Wallenstein's. Together, they fight a long-dragging and exhausting series of battles
=========
North of Berlin, which end in a stalemate. Both major armies are hardly capable of action, while Saxony can unhurriedly improve its position. - Here it is yet unclear whether Saxony will ive up to its high claims.

BRANCH C: The Catholic League and the Protestant Elector of Saxony stop the Swedish foray by a coordinated strike.
=========
Although lossy as well for Tilly and Georg Johann, King Gustav Adoph has to retreat to the Northeast.
- Saxony has proven its potential and its will to maintain its position. Now the conflict has clearly evolved into a Swedish-German war.

STAY SUBSCRIBED! ;)

Last edited:
Part 7, Branch C: Easy come, easy go

April, 20th, 1631.

"More scaffold wood, to the left!" some sergeant was shouting, as Wallenstein was crossing his camp.
Major General Holk folded his hands behind his back and walked up beside him, with quick and firm paces.
The young Dane, who had reached the age of 30 not long ago, has had a steep carrier as this war had triggered.
In Danish service only two years ago, he had followed the war and changed sides, and was deemed one of
the commanders' most competent and reliable learders.

"Seen much action from the citizens?" Wallenstein asked, producing a telescope from his jacket and extending it.
They had a clear view towards the walls of Oranienburg, where his men were preparing a siege.
"They have attacked thrice today, but it was never hard to handle. Seems like they hadn't realized that most of
us are here", his vice commander replied. Indeed, the imperial main forces were encamped here, in menacing
proximity to Berlin, residence to Brandenburg's elector Georg Wilhelm.

Wallenstein took some time to observe. At length he turned to return, but Holk noted: "We could be a lot faster
with the bulwarks. Just assign more of the Silesian corpses." Wallenstein turned to him, rotating on his heel;
apparently to quick for him recenlty, as his eyes narrowed in pain. "No, we need to maintain some flexility.
Don't exhaust them too early. I shall have a look at the current constellation tonight, then we'll know better."
Putting his finger on Holk's chest, he ordered: "Check your riders. I want you to make sure they can leave for
a special action any minute." At the camp entrance on their left the guards just let pass a single, seemingly
unarmed rider. Noticing the scene, the general added: "Let's go. News for me."

"That's right, we need a place where we can rest for some time, and recover." Johan Ban'er agreed.
"Let's get back through Berlin, and retreat to the Oder."
"Friedland will already be there. We shan't meet him now", King Gustav replied, referring to Wallenstein.
His left arm rested on a low table, where an orderly was applying a bandage to it.
Baner, as his most important consultant, grew pensive.
"We can still fight. We have to be quick, though", the King answered. "What about a Western passage to the sea?" -
"Hard, your majesty." The monarch cried an oath and spat out on the ground. The private at his left
flinched for a moment. An angry look told him: He had drawn the cloth too tight.
"Tilly will have a look out for us. Keeping us from going West was all he wanted." -
Gustav's face told Baner that he spent some thought on that, but finally he said: "Tilly won't be able
to do a lot about us. He certainly has gone South and West to rest himself."
The knight could not contradict. "We shall sneak back to the Elbe, and then find the coast.
We can find both supply and support there." he added. A glimpse of hope and eagerness flashed over Baner's face.
"Right, Lübeck will help us."

Oranienburg, April, 22nd.

"What do you mean, they have gone?" The old man put it down to his bad hearing. "Right, the're all gone!"
In the streets of Oranienburg excitement was almost palpable. "Heinrich, tell us, your son has been on guard
this night, hasn't he!"

As always, the first rumors weren't right. Wallenstein had left some units behind, to watch the city portals,
as well as some important crossings. But this was nothing like the siege which was to be expected.

"They left, two hours before sunrise or so", someone added. "That can only mean that the Swedes will be back soon".
At the last remark, the faces of the listeners agreed in an unisono of terror.

near Wittenberge, April, 30th.

"Help! Help!!" a ragged figure was crying out loud, from the bushes on the bank of the Elbe.
Apparently he was unable to rise. Another young man, running by and hiding as much as he could,
noticed him and came down to him. He searched the maimed youngster, but could not find much of use;
so he took his trousers, and stabbed his back with his dagger in disappointment.
A couple of hours ago, in the battle, they had been comrades.

A small group of peasants showed up in the distance. They were in dispair and could not belive that
this devastation had to take place just near their village. Despite the fear of the soldiers,
whose rage or high spirits would soon turn against them, the were curious and impressed by the things
happening here.
The battlefield was almost empty. Wallenstein had caught the Swedish forces by surprise.
The Swedish infantery was annihilated, while the cavallery was fleeing, pursued by several cavallery
units of Wallensteins'. The imperial pikesmen and musketeers were enjoying themselves in the city
of Wittenberg, something the peasants chose rather not to witness.

From behind the city, a troup of heavily armed riders appeared, dashing across the plain.
Obviously, they had had some business there after the main battle. The farmers ran to hide.
The were afraid of being chased and overridden for sport.
But they were safe: Pappenheim himself, the famous (or notorious) martial hero, was leading
his detachment straight North, to join the pursue of the remaining Swedes.
Passing by, the peasants heard them shouting: "Find the king! Go for the king!!"

09 11 19 Gesamtschau April 1631 AUSGANG.gif

NOTE: I changed "Orianienburg" to "Bötzow", the then current name.

Never heard of these places before? Me hardly either ...

09 11 19 Gesamtschau April 1631 AUSGANG.gif

Last edited:

Part 8, Branch A: Days of Decision

End of March, 1631.

After his triumphant entrance in Leipzig and his first German unions, King Gustav Adolf of Sweden led his army North again. Wallenstein camping in Pomerania was a permanent menace to Gustav: His German allies would not be able to make up so fast for the supplies of men and matter which his trasports had carried and still were to carry to the German coast, but which he could not reach. The way both into the wealthy Habsburg core territories like Silesia and Bohemia, and into the center of the Empire with many opportunities for new unions and foundations was open to him; however, he had to shake off Wallenstein's blockade first;
otherwise he would run the risk of being trapped and lost on the mainland.

The army, now considerably bolstered by Saxon troups, was marching on a Western path; they were going through Thuringia and downstream along the Elbe on its Western bank. This allowed for demonstrating their glory to the hesitating princes and counts, and made it possible to stage a liberation scene in Magdeburg. Moreover, it let Gustav Adolf close his ranks through fast recruitments. Above all, however, he had to take a route not pressed too much by the war during the last half of a year - otherwise his army would be half-starved until they found the fight they were seeking.

Gustav had planned to confront Wallenstein as far Northeast as possible. If, however, the generalissimo refused an open battle, Gustav envisioned to "clear the shore"; which was his way of describing the conquest of the sea cities and fortresses from the West. Thus Gustav would be able to receive supply directly to these ports and, at the same time, check Wallenstein by squeezing out his support from Mecklenburg.

Gustav Adolf's coat of armor, the golden lion on blue-and-white stripes, would be planted on the Baltic coast again. The tense question was when they would meet the bearer of the golden lion on a purely blue shield ...

Part 8, Branch B:

Early June, 1631, city wall of Sternberg (Neumark/New March, Brandenburg, occupied Saxony).

The two young corporals were standing idly at the brick parapet, letting their eyes wander in the bright afternoon sunshine.
Josef was thoughlessly gnawing on the remainders of what was small piece of bacon.

Christian, as the elder of the was called, turned his head slowly and scanned all of the horizon he could see thouroughly.
"Guess what, none of them'll appear here anymore, five gets you ten on that", he assured his companion.
Josef did not change his position. "No, of course not." Indeed, their watch was mainly useful against small gangs taking advantage of the chaotic situation in this war. The big armies, Christian was right, were checking each other far off in the North. Skirmishes, diseases, and starvation had decimated both so effectively that they could hardly take any strong actions.

"I don't miss them." Josef added. Christian chuckled. "No really, I wouldn't even mind staying here, in peace. It's a nice place." An expression of indignation rushed over Christian's face, but faded as fast. "I don't think that'll work, I'm afraid.", he replied, laughing softy at his comerade. "We didn't exactly come invited. If we want to stay, we have to go on fighting."

The Saxon Army had certainly not lit the candle on both sides with the fighting. While Wallenstein-Tilly and Gustav Adolf were busy in the North, General Arnim took the opportunity to stage his forces right and perform some prestiguous sieges and city seizures.
Sternberg and Frankfurt/Oder had fallen quickly, and the main forces were now laying siege to Küstrin. That city would be tough, as it was still holding a strong Swedish garrison. Nevertheless, Elector Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg was losing most of his important upper Oder region, more or less as a side effect of the war. Johann Georg of Saxony was a great beneficiary of the situation - but he had taken care of that beforehand: While Brandenburg sided with Sweden (however voluntarily), Saxony had declared his political loyalty to the Empire.

Josef still looked dreamingly over the plain, and believed to realize the Oder as a faint strip in the disctance. "Whatever, the war will be over soon, and people will have to see what they'll do." Christian was appalled. He had not thought about that yet, but Josef was right. Although it was Josef who had enrolled far away in his Lower Rhine home, and been in many places all over Germany under Danish and now Saxon commanders - in summary, who had oriented his whole life in according with the war.

Christian, by contrast, was just a local recruit for a local army, if already years ago as well.
Nevertheless, he was thrilled by the opportunites and power one had as a soldier these days. In peace, he would still stand in his father's workshop, grafting away under the eyes of his bossy brother ... now, he could make people do what he wants.

And now that guy wanted peace. He would soon see his mistake. But perhaps he was right, and the war might just drain off in this part of the world. Christian frowned long and intensely. It might occur to him that he would have to think what to do with his life, return to the slavery of his family hearth, or starve in the freedom of a rover.

At length, he asked: "Tell me about your home, Josef. Tell me what people are like on the Rhine. I mean, the Dutch are still fighting the Spanish there, right?"

Part 8, Branch C: Exit Gustavus.

City of Lübeck, May 1631.

It was humilitating for this glorious army. Or rather, what was left of it.
The citizens of Lübeck had had mercy on the Swedish army and granted assylum to them;
but under harsh conditions: The whole army had to lay down their arms, and leave them under municipal guard. After some negotiations, it was agreed that all martial equipment, along with many of the war horses, would leave on a Swedish ship to Kalmar soon. The king and many nobleman left shortly after. Lübeck pressed for quick evacuation of the remaining Swedes, and took a fee for their protection.

Pappenheim, having rushed to the city with a signifcant share of the Imperial Army, had made efforts to lay siege to the city.
But when he received word that Gustavus had crossed the sea, they soon vanished as quickly as they had appeared.

After this sequence of events, the inhabitants of the proud Hanseatic city were the first people in the Empire to wonder whether the war was over ...

Hm, I can't say there is little attention for this thread, given the view counts.
But there haven't been many comments lately.

I suppose this means that this is just too far-flung a topic?
The last mentioned problem, which I could resolve was about the meaning of the branches and the tree concept.

I am wondering whether I should make a quick finish to this TL, and save some ideas for other projects. What do you think?

It's so quiet here I hardly dare to speak up ...

Well, I see that some people still follow this thread, but don't have any comment.
I can understand that perfectly as the period is not so familiar to may, and sorting out the ramification might be a bit challenging.
Unfortunately that leaves me a bit in the dark - as this is my first TL, I am even grateful for comments like "I don't understand what you last dialog posting implies in terms of G.A.'s campaign" or "your spelling sucks" or "more maps!".

Re maps, Professor: I guess without them I wouldn't be able to follow myself.

So I will gradually develop this tl further, at its sometimes rather comfortable pace.
I will also try to come up with some help to keep track of the different events ...

*** sneaking out on tiptoes ***