The Towers Still Stand: An Alternate take on early 21st Century America.

Who Do You Think will win the 2004 Presidential Election at This Point in the TL?

• President George W. Bush (R-TX)

Votes: 60 28.7%
  • Former Vice President Al Gore (D-TN)

Votes: 96 45.9%
  • Speaker of the House Dick Gephardt (D-MO)

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN)

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Senator John Edwards (D-NC)

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Former Governor Howard Dean (D-VT)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
February 18th, 2005. Partial Birth Abortion Ban Fails to Pass. Bush says the fight to Protect Life Continues:
The Partial Birth Abortion ban, proposed by Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania failed to get support after anti abortion politicians fought for over two weeks to get the legislation passed in both houses of Congress. The legislation was declared dead on the morning of February 18th. Speaker Pelosi said that "Over the last few weeks, Congressional Democrats have been fighting hard to protect a woman's right to choose. Today I can say that our efforts have paid off and I pledge to the American people that Congressional Democrats will continue to fight hard against the efforts of this President and Congressional Republicans to roll back Women's rights." Later that day, President Bush issued a statement saying that "The defeat of this legislation was sad for all who value the life of the unborn. Despite the failure to pass this bill, the fight for the sanctity of life continues and this Administration will continue to stand on the side of life." The President, despite having a Democratic Controlled Congress, hoped for a quick legislative victory at the start of his second term, just like the one he got in the form of the 2001 Tax Cut that was passed early in his first term, believing that moderate and conservative Democrats would side with the Republicans on this issue. With the failure of this bill, the Administration now knew that passing the next piece of their agenda, the Second round of Tax Cuts, was going to be an uphill battle, but one that they were none the less, willing to fight.

I get a bad feeling that this might lead to another round of culture wars. Still calmer than OTL, but can lead to bad things if it really goes to pot.

I'm still banking for second Korea war, or cartel violence in Mexico.
Or Cuban Spring!

Wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 happened at this point, since something has to happen to break the extended "peace and prosperity". Even assuming none of the 3 happen (I reckon we will have at least cartel violence in Mexico), then I think the big break will be 2008, when the OTL Russia-Georgia war took place.

I also wonder whether President Bush ITTL made a speech in which he said things similar to his OTL "Axis of Evil" rhetoric in the OTL 2002 State of the Union.

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing more of what the rest of the world looks like where we currently are in this TL, not that US politics is boring, which even in this TL it isn't, far from it.

Wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 happened at this point, since something has to happen to break the extended "peace and prosperity". Even assuming none of the 3 happen (I reckon we will have at least cartel violence in Mexico), then I think the big break will be 2008, when the OTL Russia-Georgia war took place.

I also wonder whether President Bush ITTL made a speech in which he said things similar to his OTL "Axis of Evil" rhetoric in the OTL 2002 State of the Union.

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing more of what the rest of the world looks like where we currently are in this TL, not that US politics is boring, which even in this TL it isn't, far from it.

As mentioned before, this TL has the twist that the very large amount of Georgian forces (would have close to doubled the amount of troops they had defending South Ossetia) that were in Iraq IOTL are right at home. That has the potential to be a big fireball.

The one thing that is certain is that something will have to be done about Libya. Arab Spring is baked in due to long term trends not affected by anything here, which means Gaddafi, who didn't give up his gas and nuclear program IATL as far as I can see because the Iraq War never happened to scare him to death, will still be fighting a civil war as IOTL. The west will intervene the minute the country blows up. The one thing everyone in the world can agree on is that Islamic fundamentalists + WMDs in a power vacuum is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.