The Towers Still Stand: An Alternate take on early 21st Century America.

Who Do You Think will win the 2004 Presidential Election at This Point in the TL?

• President George W. Bush (R-TX)

Votes: 60 28.7%
  • Former Vice President Al Gore (D-TN)

Votes: 96 45.9%
  • Speaker of the House Dick Gephardt (D-MO)

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN)

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Senator John Edwards (D-NC)

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Former Governor Howard Dean (D-VT)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
February 21st, 2003. President Bush unveils a plan for Immigration Reform:

On the morning of February 21st, President George W. Bush unveiled a plan for Immigration reform. The President had been working with members of Congress of both parties to craft a plan. Those members included Senator Ted Kennedy, who worked with the President in crafting "No Child Left Behind Act" and Senator John McCain, the President's main challenger from the 2000 Republican Primaries. The bill included an increase in boarder security enforcement, by increasing the number of boarder control agents and adding additional fencing across the US/Mexican boarder. It would also create a pathway to citizenship for those in the country illegally and create a guest worker program. The President, after outlining the plan, said that this is proof that members of both party can come together and come up with sweeping legislation. He also thanked all those who worked with him in crafting this bill. While the bill received criticisms from the right for giving illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship and from the left over the guest worker program and for the revisions in the reunification visas, many political pudits believed the bill stood a good chance at becoming law. Speaker Gephardt, without stating his position on the legislation, said that the bill would be allowed to the floor for a vote.

That same day, Former Secretary of State James Baker was unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate to succeed Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense. Baker would take the oath that coming Monday. Hearings for John W. Snow as Treasury Secretary were almost complete and a vote would be held earlier in the week.

February 26th, 2003. The United Nations passes Resolution 1441, which calls for Iraq to allow UNMOVIC Inspectors in the Country for inspections. Also calls on Iraq to give inspectors access to any and all weapons sites:
On February 26th, 2003, The United Nations Council votes on Resolution 1441, which called for Iraq to allow Inspectors from the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC) to enter the country to inspect the country to ensure that the Country did not have biological and chemical weapons or Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD). This resolution also called for Iraq to give inspectors access to any and all weapons facilities and sites.

Last edited:
February 26th, 2003. The United Nations passes Resolution 1441, which calls for Iraq to allow UNMOVIC Inspectors in the Country for inspections. Also calls on Iraq to give inspectors access to any and all weapons sites:

On February 26th, 2003, The United Nations Council votes on Resolution 1441, which called for Iraq to allow Inspectors from the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC) to enter the country to inspect the country to ensure that the Country did not have biological and chemical weapons or Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD). This resolution also called for Iraq to give inspectors access to any and all weapons facilities and sites.
Bush will stop at nothing to obtain one of Steve Jobs' failed inventions, the i-Rack. He'll even put it on his credit card although, without Afghanistan he has more money left over. Looks like nothing can impede a son from finishing what his father could not a decade prior.

Bush will stop at nothing to obtain one of Steve Jobs' failed inventions, the i-Rack. He'll even put it on his credit card although, without Afghanistan he has more money left over. Looks like nothing can impede a son from finishing what his father could not a decade prior.

Eh, we'll see. He can only do so much without the support of congress. Plus, while I think going to war in OTL was a mistake, Iraq was a thorn in the ass for both parties, so you never know what'll happen.

Eh, we'll see. He can only do so much without the support of congress. Plus, while I think going to war in OTL was a mistake, Iraq was a thorn in the ass for both parties, so you never know what'll happen.
I forgot Congress is different from OTL. Looking back on it, I agree that Iraq is a thorn in the behind as ISIL is now to both parties.

Plus, no Cheny means no Italian Letter, so there's that gone.

adding additional fencing across the US/Mexican boarder.
635964489032351854-1196254673_great_wall_trump%20(1).jpg

Just goes to show Trump's idea is little more than a stupid version of traditional Republican doctrine.

February 28th, 2003. John Snow Sworn in as Treasury Secretary. Saddam Hussein Refuses to Allow Inspectors into Iraq:

On February 28th, John W. Snow was Sworn in as Treasury Secretary of the United States. The United States Senate confirmed Snow a day earlier by a vote of 69-31. That same day, Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein announced two days after the United Nations passed Resolution 1441 that he would not allow any UNMOVIC inspectors into his country. Weapons inspectins have not been done in Iraq since the late 1990s. President Bush, in a press conference that took place shortly after Snow was sworn in, said that "Saddam Hussein is yet again in violation of a UN Resolution. It is vitol to the Security of the world that he allow these inspections to take place and if he does not allow them to happen, there will be consequences." When asked if the United States would take action against Iraq unitlateraly should the UN not act, Bush said that "The United States will do what it can to make Saddam Hussein follow the will of the world."

Also on February 28th, the House of Representatives held a vote on the President's bi partisan immigration. The bill passed the House by a 248-187 vote, with 120 Republicans voting in favor of the bill and 77 of them voting against. 128 Democrats voted for the bill, and 110 Democrats voted against it. The bills opposition was from Conservative Republicans, who were opposed to a pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens and also met opposition from liberal Democrats as well, mainly due to the guest worker program. The bill was now off to the Senate.

March 4th, 2003. British PM Tony Blair meets with President Bush at the White House to Discuss Iraq:

British Prime Minister Tony Blair met with President George W. Bush at the White House to discuss Iraq and Saddam Hussein's decision not to allow any weapons inspections to take place. After meeting in the Oval Office for a little over an hour, the President and the Prime Minister held a Joint Press Conference. Blair said that he and the President were prepared to take action against Iraq if it continued to violate the UN resolution that had recently passed. He also urged the UN to join them in taking action against Iraq in order to get Saddam Hussein to comply with the United Nations. He and Bush did make clear that if they were forced to act alone, they would.

blair-bush_1706409c.jpg

I apologize, Treasury Secretary John Snow for you will have that joke made every time your name comes up for the rest of time. I am deeply sorry.
Oh, I'm sure he'll get used to it. I mean, the meme only was invented in 2000.....

And the books weren't that well known until HBO picked up the books, so he'll be fine.

March 6th, 2003. Saddam Hussein still Refuses to Allow Weapons Inspections to Take Place:

Just two days after U.S. President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair met to discuss Iraq, Saddam Hussein announced that he was still not going to comply with the United Nations and allow Inspections to take place. The next day, President Bush said that "It is clear that Saddam Hussein has made his decision and is sticking to it. As I have said before, Saddam Hussein must face consequences for not complying with the United Nations and he will..."

Status
Not open for further replies.