The Towers Still Stand: An Alternate take on early 21st Century America.

Who Do You Think will win the 2004 Presidential Election at This Point in the TL?

• President George W. Bush (R-TX)

Votes: 60 28.7%
  • Former Vice President Al Gore (D-TN)

Votes: 96 45.9%
  • Speaker of the House Dick Gephardt (D-MO)

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN)

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • Senator John Edwards (D-NC)

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Former Governor Howard Dean (D-VT)

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
January 3rd, 2003. The 108th Congress is Sworn in, Dick Gephardt Becomes Speaker of the House:

On January 3rd, 2003, the Democratic 108th Congress was sworn in, marking the first time in 8 years that the party controlled the House of Representatives. Notable Republican Freshmen included Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who was elected to Strom Thurmond's old seat and Elizabeth Dole, wife of Former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, of North Carolina. Notable Democratic freshmen included Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire and Tom Strickland of Colorado.

After taking the oath and receiving the Speaker's Gavel from now House Minority leader Dennis Hastert, Speaker of the House Dick Gephardt addressed Congress. He said that he was honored to accept the position as Speaker of the House and thanked all of those that voted for him. He also thanked Dennis Hastert for his service as Speaker of the House and pledge to work with everyone on both sides of the isle in Congress and pledged to work with President Bush.

January 6th, 2003. President Bush Announces Cabinet Changes:

In a Press Conference on January 6th, President George W. Bush announced that there would be changes in his cabinet. Bush announced that he accepted letters of resignation from Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neil and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and his undersecretary Paul Wolfowitz. The President said that all three served their Country well and that he wished them the best. When asked if he had anyone in mind to succeed the three departing members of his cabinet, Bush said that "we're currently in the process of vetting people now. I do hope that the Senate will, without any issue, do its' part and confirm the appointments." Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, and O'Neil would stay in their positions until there replacements were chosen.

150px-OneilllPaul.jpg
rumsfeld.jpg
220px-Paul_Wolfowitz.jpg

Sources around the White House say that the decision to replace O'Neil as he was openly critical of the administration, but was reluctant to replace Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz, but did so for political reasons. Possible replacements for Rumsfeld included Former CIA Director Robert Gates and Former Secretary of State James Baker. Sources did not have any ideas as to who would replace O'Neil and Wolfowitz.

Reading this TL got me thinking:
Since the 9/11 attacks haven't occured, will the US or any Western nation be targeted by a terrorist attack of 9/11 magnitude or a 'less severe' terror attack?

Reading this TL got me thinking:
Since the 9/11 attacks haven't occured, will the US or any Western nation be targeted by a terrorist attack of 9/11 magnitude or a 'less severe' terror attack?
I've been pondering that myself. We might see a terrorist attack in the U.S. or other Western nation, or we just might see more attacks abroad.

January 28th, 2003. President Bush gives his 2003 State of the Union Address:

On January 29th, 2003, President George W. Bush addressed the 108th Congress from the Capitol Building:

"Mr. Speaker. Vice President Kasich, distinguished guests, fellow citizens. Tonight our Government is divided. Now, as it has been for most of the last half century, the Republicans control the executive and the Democrats control the legislative. Despite this divide, our Union is still strong. We can however work to bridge this divide. Upon receiving his position as Speaker of the House, Speaker Gephardt pledged to work with members of congress of both sides of the isle. I do to, and I congratulate all of you who were just elected this past November. He also pledged to work with me. I pledge tonight to work with him. Working together is the only way we can do the work of the people. Our economy is still weakened and unemployment is still on the rise. Our budget is also in deficit. Last year in my State of the Union Address, I proposed a Stimulus package to congress to pass, and it never did. Despite this, many of you in this chamber ran on an economic stimulus. Let's do what I proposed we do last year and what you campaigned on this November and pass an economic stimulus, but let's do so in a way that doesn't bring our budget further into deficit. Last year, I also proposed that we make the 2001 tax cuts permanent. This is another way we can help hard working Americans out. This must also be the year that we reform Medicare so that our Senior Citizens don't have to make a choice between prescriptions and food. Our seniors worked hard throughout their working lives, and they deserve better and this Congress must give them better. Another priority of this congress must also be to bring about much needed reforms to our Immigration system. Immigration is what built this Country and we must continue to welcome it. However, it must be done in a legal manor. That is why we must strengthen security at our borders and enforce our laws better than we currently do. For those who are here illegally that contribute to our society and obey our laws, a path to legally obtain citizenship must be part of this legislation....

This past August, an Air Bas in Saudi Arabia that men and women of our Armed Forces have been stationed at since the end of the Persian Gulf War was attacked. The men who carried out this attack had ties to the Taliban regime of Afghanistan, who ordered this attack in retaliation for Missile Strikes launched against Terrorist Training camps in their country by the United States in 1998. We did this in retaliation for the attack on our embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. At that time the Taliban harbored the Al Qaeda terrorists responsible for the attack on our embassies. Five months ago, it was the Taliban regime itself that attacked us. We must make it clear to them and to others that wish us harm in the world that if you threaten or attack the United States, we will respond and there will be consequences. The United States, as a result of these attacks, is now withdrawing from Saudi Arabia. Over the last 12 years, the United States, through the Prince Sultan Air Base had enforced the sanctions and UN resolutions placed on Iraq after the Gulf War. Despite our withdrawal from Saudi Arabia, we must continue to enforce these sanctions and no fly zones, and must maintain a presence in the region to do so. I will work with my national security team and with the international community to find the best way possible to prevent Iraq from becoming an even greater threat. In the 21st Century, China's influence is increasing throughout the world and it is becoming an economic power. We must ensure that their intentions are peaceful...

Our Country is a Country with a great and unique history. Let's make our future even greater. Thank you, God bless you, and may he continue to bless the United States of America.

hqdefault.jpg

After a devastating loss in the midterms for his party and after announcing the departure of two key cabinet members, the President went into his State of the Union Address with a 40% approval rating. Two days after his speech, after receiving mostly positive remarks for his address, they rose to 43%.

If you want to load the dice a little you could have an incident where a hijacker attempted (or succeeded) in taking command of an airliner to fly it someplace himself.

AFAIK the 9/11 hijackers took advantage of a blind spot in our responses to hijackings - previously the hijacked airliners were flown someplace at the direction of the hijackers as an attention-grabbing gesture that usually wound up with the hostages being returned inconvenienced but unharmed, so the standard response was to go along with the hijackers.

If something happened to bring this blind spot to light then armored cockpit doors might be mandated by the FAA and CAB.

I'm really enjoying this TL. One think that occurs to me, Bush was horrified by US inaction during the Rwandan genocide. He clearly wanted to intervene in Sudan during the Darfur genocide, but there was no political will to do so with the US already in Afghanistan and Iraq. Here (if the situation in Sudan resembles OTL) he may have a freer hand.

February 3rd, 2003. James Baker named as replacement for Rumsfeld. John W. Snow for O'Neil:

On February 3rd, 2003, President George W. Bush nominated Former Secretary of State James Baker to replace Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense. Bush said in a Press Conference after he made the announcement that "James Baker is a qualified candidate for the job. He served President Reagan well as Treasury Secretary and as Chief of Staff and he did a phenomenal job as Secretary of State during my Father's administration. For those reasons and more, I think James Baker will be a great Secretary of State."

Shortly after announcing Baker as Rumsfeld's replacement, Bush announced former CSX CEO John W. Snow to replace Paul O'Neil as Secretary of the Treasury. The President said of Snow that "John Snow had an impressive record in the Private Sector. I believe that with this record and experience, John Snow will be a great asset in getting our economy moving again." Bush went on to say that "Both of these men are very qualified for the jobs that I've appointed them to. I hope the United States Senate can put partisanship aside and confirm them."

20030306-8_d030603-1-250h.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.