The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

August 1474.
Small chapter dedicated to all who voted for this story on the turtledove poll, but also with a special mention to @TheBookwormBoy who has spent too many hours listening to my ramblings, and also encouraged me in May 2021 to write the new idea I just had about Magdalena of France marrying Edward IV. This is your victory too, Michael, not just mine!​

August 1474. Newhaven, England.

His feet hit the wet sand with a muffled thud as he jumped off the small boat that had led him off the ship. Edward of Westminster, rightful King of England and France, looked around at the plain shore surrounding him, his heart swelling up in his chest.

It didn’t feel real, to finally be there, in his homeland once again, after so many years of exile. First in Scotland, then in France, driven away by the Yorkists and the Usurper. Edward closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, inhaling the salty sea air. The wind hit his face, messing his hair, blonde curls stuffed inside a tight cap bouncing against his cheeks.

He kneeled on the ground and took a fistful of the sand, bringing it to his lips to kiss it. Home. At long last, he was home.

Edward straightened up and saw his wife coming to stand beside him, holding tightly to Blanche’s hand. Maisie had her face pinched in a tight expression, wearing simple blue garments fit for the travel through the channel. They hadn’t reconciled entirely since their argument about Blanche joining the household of the Queen of France. Not even Edward acquiescing to her demands and allowing their daughter to remain with them brought husband and wife back together, but at least, when he turned to look at her, Maisie was smiling. A smile he had not seen ever since they lost their son.

“I thought I would never see this isle of Great Britain again,” she admitted. Edward nodded.

“I was born here,” he said. “I shall die here.”

“God willing, this shall not happen for many years yet,” said Maisie, placing her hand on the back of his head to play with the nape of his hair. He shuddered and chuckled, turning back to see the 2,000 mercenaries the King of France had funded for them disembarking. The men that would bring him back to London with his father’s crown returned to him.

Edward nodded at a group of riders in the distance, observing him and his party. “Edward of York will be aware of our arrival within the week,” he said. “Jasper Tudor has landed in Wales to gather supporters and we must rejoin with him, or we shall have no hope of winning this war.”

Maisie nodded. “It will take days for Edward to gather his forces,” she said. “Until then, we can reclaim the lands on our way to London.”

A hearty cough echoed behind them and Edward turned to see his mother being helped by the Duke of Somerset out of her boat, a fist closed against her mouth as her shoulder shook with the strength of her sickly shudders.

He turned back to his wife. Blanche was trying to grab her own fistful of sand, curly red hair flopping with the wind. “Look, mama!” she said. “A rock!” Edward and Maisie chuckled, his wife bending to pick up their four-year-old daughter in her arms.

Edward nodded at the land before them. “Come on,” he said. “We have a kingdom to reconquer.”

Last edited:
It didn’t feel real, to finally be there, in his homeland once again, after so many years of exile. First in Scotland, then in France, driven away by the Yorkists and the Usurper. Edward closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, inhaling the salty sea air. The wind hit his face, messing his hair, blonde curls stuffed inside a tight cap bouncing against his cheeks.
Enjoy it while it lasts, Eddie… Enjoy it while it lasts…
“I was born here,” he said. “I shall die here.”
Poor wording, Eddie… very poor.
A hearty cough echoed behind them and Edward turned to see his mother being helped by the Duke of Somerset out of her boat, a fist closed against her mouth as her shoulder shook with the strength of her sickly shudders.
Oh dear, is Marguerite of Anjou down with something? That doesn’t bode well for their supposed invasion.

Ah damn, even if he is technically the antagonist here, I can't help but feel bad for Edward of Westminster, as it seems very likely he'll die in battle or get cut down after it ends like IOTL... Great chapter!

It sounds cruel but I hope Margaret dies of her illness. It would be kinder than her otl fate and she won't have to see her son die.

Ah damn, even if he is technically the antagonist here, I can't help but feel bad for Edward of Westminster, as it seems very likely he'll die in battle or get cut down after it ends like IOTL... Great chapter!
He is not a true antagonist. He is more of an opponent, whose fate feels rather hollow, at least to me. It's sad to think of this boy who was chased out of his homeland trying to return years later as an adult and remake the world of his happy childhood, knowing very well that it's unlikely to work.

He is not a true antagonist. He is more of an opponent, whose fate feels rather hollow, at least to me. It's sad to think of this boy who was chased out of his homeland trying to return years later as an adult and remake the world of his happy childhood, knowing very well that it's unlikely to work.
I don’t think he even had a happy childhood. It was mostly dominated by the War of the Roses.

I don’t think he even had a happy childhood. It was mostly dominated by the War of the Roses.
I think there were happy moments. Myself and other people who for some reason didn't have a happy childhood sometimes remember moments fondly. I imagine Edward likes to think of his mother and father together, the moments where his father was lucid.

Ugh this is all so so sad but also, die already Edward of Westminster.
I think I'm the only one who isn't eager for his death. He's practically a kid, just twenty who spent practically his entire life dreaming of the stolen kingdom. It's sad, honestly.

He just needs to return to France. At this point he might as well be a foreigner and anyway Edward IV has what, TEN children, some of them healthy boys and daughters engaged to some of the most powerful men on the continent while Westminster just has a daughter….engaged to the dauphin. Considering the anti French sentiment people are feeling at the moment he would look like a French puppet. I don’t think he will have a lot of people flocking to his banner. Not now. That time has passed, but he has a chance to live his life with his family in peace. You don’t want to miss with Edward when it comes to combat and his throne, he was pretty ruthless when he had to be. Just look at the OTL.