The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

“I hate the Yorks,” Edward murmured, tears dripping down his face. “They… They took my father’s throne, they called me a bastard, they expelled my mother and me from England. Why would I ever give away my daughter to them?”

Maisie tried to find an answer in her mind. “The people are eager for peace. They will do anything for it, even make bad decisions.”

“I won’t let them,” her husband said. “Blanche is mine. Ours. I won’t let them sell her away to the Usurper’s child like she is a broodmare for their cause. She is my daughter and, until the day we have our Henry, she is my son as well. My heir. If we never have a boy, she will be Queen Regnant of England. The first of her kind.”
Very interesting chapter. Good to see Edward of Westminster showing his more angry side but in a protective sort of way over his young daughter.

His daughter had become quite a nuisance as of late and he found himself becoming more and more exasperated at her, despite their once-close relationship. It was perhaps the effect of years spent as a mistress to a king, instead of his wife and queen, as she intended. Or even the failure to gain offices, lands and coinage for her family, especially her children. Elizabeth was too ambitious for her own good, he always said so.
Elizabeth Woodville falling apart in this timeline is everything I could ever want it to be and more. Love seeing her just become complete mess.

“Lord Warwick sends his regards,” whispered one of them, his face stained and his nose crooked. His knife twisted painfully and he removed it, grunting with the force of his movement. He stabbed him again.
Oh dear, what’s about to become of the Woodvilles now that their patriarch is taken down? They’d best get out of London soon.

Also the guy could be lying.
Why would he lie to a dying man?

But IMHO this is a bit much. IIRC, Warwick did not move against the Woodvilles while Edward was King. He rebelled against Edward when it got to be too much.

Elizabeth may have got her father his intro at court, but she's been pushed aside, and Rivers has done well on his own merits. He's now one of Edward's trusted servants. So Edward is going to be very annoyed at his murder, which is just one step removed from outright lèse-majesté.

And there is a witness. Anthony Woodville (now Earl Rivers?) can identify the man in royal livery who pretended to summon his father to the King. Warwick could be in very deep trouble.

More likely, Warwick would intrigue to have Rivers dismissed from office and/or charged with crimes, and executed - by attainder if necessary. I.e. he has to turn Edward against Rivers.

Why would he lie to a dying man?

But IMHO this is a bit much. IIRC, Warwick did not move against the Woodvilles while Edward was King. He rebelled against Edward when it got to be too much.

Elizabeth may have got her father his intro at court, but she's been pushed aside, and Rivers has done well on his own merits. He's now one of Edward's trusted servants. So Edward is going to be very annoyed at his murder, which is just one step removed from outright lèse-majesté.

And there is a witness. Anthony Woodville (now Earl Rivers?) can identify the man in royal livery who pretended to summon his father to the King. Warwick could be in very deep trouble.

More likely, Warwick would intrigue to have Rivers dismissed from office and/or charged with crimes, and executed - by attainder if necessary. I.e. he has to turn Edward against Rivers.
Considering the manner of Rivers' OTL death, an execution without trial, I think this is quite likely.

Considering the manner of Rivers' OTL death, an execution without trial, I think this is quite likely.
Exactly. Warwick having Rivers murdered by a squad of his own thugs would be a flagrant breach of the King's peace, and a gross offense against the King's majesty. Even if Edward was about to sack Rivers and arrest him - he would do it, not any presumptuous peer.

Warwick would know this, and confine himself to intrigues.

Exactly. Warwick having Rivers murdered by a squad of his own thugs would be a flagrant breach of the King's peace, and a gross offense against the King's majesty. Even if Edward was about to sack Rivers and arrest him - he would do it, not any presumptuous peer.

Warwick would know this, and confine himself to intrigues.
So Warwick killing Richard and John OTL was not a breach of the king's peace?

Wasn't he already in rebellion by then?

I might be wrong, but if I recall correctly, the executions of Richard and John Woodville were after the defeat of loyalist Yorkists by rebels led by Warwick

At that time, Warwick was in open rebellion against Edward. ITTL, he's in favor with Edward.

And yes, Elizabeth Woodville wasn't properly set aside - but she's not queen. Five years before (1466), she had a baby that despite her claims to the contrary was clearly Pembroke's (Fiennes') not Edward's. She now has six children, the last two also by Pembroke (there has been no mention of any additional children by Edward). She's hardly been mentioned since - till now, where it is implied that she is still Edward's mistress - or at least thinks she is, though it hardly seems likely that Edward would share his mistress with a husband.

Pembroke as a "beard", who knows his place, would be one thing. Pembroke as an active husband, fathering children on Elizabeth, is another. And I really doubt that Elizabeth's hold on Edward would survive the exposure of her actual relations with Pembroke.. She tried to impose - not a bastard, but another man's child on him. (Presumably, Elizabeth lied about relations with Pembroke.)

As I noted, the Woodville position at court survived whatever damage Elizabeth brought on herself. Rivers is still Lord High Treasurer, Anthony is Edward's emissary to Denmark. For Warwick to engage in violence against them would be very dangerous. In OTL, he rebelled, and actually seized control of Edward, along with murdering Rivers and John Woodville. But he had to back down and fled into exile. It would be very foolish for him to go down that path ITTL (IMO).

At that time, Warwick was in open rebellion against Edward. ITTL, he's in favor with Edward.

And yes, Elizabeth Woodville wasn't properly set aside - but she's not queen. Five years before (1466), she had a baby that despite her claims to the contrary was clearly Pembroke's (Fiennes') not Edward's. She now has six children, the last two also by Pembroke (there has been no mention of any additional children by Edward). She's hardly been mentioned since - till now, where it is implied that she is still Edward's mistress - or at least thinks she is, though it hardly seems likely that Edward would share his mistress with a husband.

Pembroke as a "beard", who knows his place, would be one thing. Pembroke as an active husband, fathering children on Elizabeth, is another. And I really doubt that Elizabeth's hold on Edward would survive the exposure of her actual relations with Pembroke.. She tried to impose - not a bastard, but another man's child on him. (Presumably, Elizabeth lied about relations with Pembroke.)

As I noted, the Woodville position at court survived whatever damage Elizabeth brought on herself. Rivers is still Lord High Treasurer, Anthony is Edward's emissary to Denmark. For Warwick to engage in violence against them would be very dangerous. In OTL, he rebelled, and actually seized control of Edward, along with murdering Rivers and John Woodville. But he had to back down and fled into exile. It would be very foolish for him to go down that path ITTL (IMO).
It's not like people know it was Warwick. Anthony thinks his father was summoned by the king and no one heard the birthmark man's words to Richard except his own goons.

It's not like people know it was Warwick. Anthony thinks his father was summoned by the king and no one heard the birthmark man's words to Richard except his own goons.
When Rivers is found murdered in the street, it will be obvious that the summons was fake. Anthony Woodville saw the supposed messenger, with his odd nose and prominent birthmark. Unless that fellow disappears, and no one had ever seen him in Warwick's household, Warwick is in grave danger.

August 1471.
August 1471. London, England.

The world was still as the last note hung in the air, a smile slowly creeping upon Bess Plantagenet’s lips. Elizabeth waited until her daughter’s hands left the lute’s chords before she started clapping, the sole observer of the nightly performance.

“Wonderful!” she said, her cheeks aching from the straining smile. “Wonderful, my dear. Simply wonderful!” Bess flushed, smiling bashfully, and looked away. She set her lute aside and stood up, rubbing her palms against the skirt of her black dress.

Elizabeth barely had time to prepare before her daughter ran up to her, wrapping her skinny little arms around her neck. She oofed, posing a hand behind her to catch herself on the bed and another to protect the large swell of her belly, and laughed. Bess kissed her face, beaming. “Do you really mean it, mama?” she asked, voice eager. “Do you really think I was wonderful?”

“I don’t think, darling,” said Elizabeth. “I know it.” She stroked Bess’ cheek and smiled, observing her wide blue eyes and her full lips. Not even six years old and she was already so beautiful, more beautiful than the King’s legitimate daughters, she knew it so. There were many who admired Bess, who thought she was beautiful, lovely and intelligent.

Elizabeth was, despite everything, a pragmatical person. She knew that eventually, her daughter would need to be married, to have children and a family of her own, her personal joys. Her beauty would only help her, certainly, maybe even lessen the stain of her illegitimacy and there were many prospects in the world for the king’s daughter.

Edward arranged an Emperor for Madeleine’s girl and Elizabeth was his eldest daughter, the one he should love the most. She would have to ask him about possibilities and when she did, she would have to arrive with options already, to give him an image of what she wanted.

Both of the royal duchesses were pregnant, but even if both babes were boys, which Elizabeth sincerely doubted, they would be too young for her Bess. And they’d be first cousins as well, which would need a dispensation for the marriage to occur. Too complicated. The young Duke of Buckingham was betrothed to Lord Warwick’s niece, so even if the match fell through, she doubted he would be willing to attach himself to her. Norfolk was married and childless and the de la Poles were her daughter’s first cousin.

There was little Harri Tudor as well, heir to all of the Somerset lands. His mother was a favourite of Madeleine and everything Lady Margaret wanted, Madeleine would ask of her husband. Certainly, any day now, Harri would receive Richmond back and be restored to all of his riches. He was eight years older than Bess, but that wasn’t so bad. His own father was over a decade older than his mother and well, it didn’t matter when Bess’ happiness was on the line.

Annie Holland was a problem though. It was common knowledge now that the two were close friends, that there was a possibility of marriage between them in the future. Elizabeth wouldn’t let herself be cowed by two children though. If she offered Thomas for Annie, and really, Thomas was as good a match as any girl could hope for, and asked Harri for Bess, then Edward would have no choice but to accept.

She couldn’t ponder about it more, because a sudden and rapid knocking came onto the door. Bess jumped in her seat next to Elizabeth on the bed and the Countess stood up, smoothing down her skirts. “Don’t worry, love,” she said. “I’m sure it is just the Earl calling me to bed.” They were in their London residence, still in mourning for her dearly departed father and unable to travel long distances because of Elizabeth’s condition.

Elizabeth opened the door with a placid smile on her face, a thousand excuses already on the tip of her tongue. Her husband, the Earl, had a certain resentment towards her little girl, despite having allowed Elizabeth to keep Bess close (and really, how horrible. She is her mother. She doesn’t need anyone’s permission to have her daughter live with her.). He didn’t like when he spent more time with Bess than with their other children, even Thomas and Richard from her first marriage, who lived with them as well. It was ridiculous, frankly.

But it wasn’t John with his frowns and his dead eyes. It was her brother, Anthony. Tall and fair, Elizabeth had always favoured Anthony over her other siblings, even when Lewis was still alive. They just understood each other, completed each other. There was no one else she trusted more than her Anthony. Except maybe her mother, but that was different. Who could you trust if not your own mother?

“Anthony,” she said, smiling. “Please, come in.” She moved aside to let him pass. “Bess, my dear, say hello to your uncle Anthony.”

“Hello, Uncle Anthony,” said Bess, with a smile. “I have missed you.” The two embraced and Anthony kissed Bess’ face, pinching her little red cheek. She giggled and swatted his hand away. “Would you like to see me play the lute? My tutor says I am very talented!

“I’m sure you are, my dear, said Anthony, “But not right now. I must speak with your mother. Will you give us some privacy?”

“But…” Confusion was etched on Bess’ face. “This is my room.”

“I know, but you will be a good girl and lend it to me to talk to your mother, won’t you?” Anthony asked, arching an eyebrow. Bess hesitated, but with a look from Elizabeth, she left.

When she was gone, Elizabeth turned to her brother. She was confused. It was unlike him to do that, to come without announcing and so late, on top of everything. Anthony moved to the window and shut it close, drawing the curtains until the moonlight was driven away. She frowned and stepped closer to him, extending her arm to take his hand.

“What is wrong?” she asked him. Their father’s death had affected all of them, but Anthony especially. He was the last person to see the Earl alive. That would weigh down on anyone, which would explain why the King had removed him from the diplomatic mission to Denmark, sending Sir Henry in his place. The entire Woodville family needed time to grieve, to be together.

“I have made my mind up,” said Anthony, his back to her. His words carried something heavy in them, something dark and she intertwined their fingers. “Edward of York is not our king. He has never been. Father and I fought at Towton. We gave our blood and our honour to the Lancastrians, only to stab them in the back at the first sign of fortune.”

“Anthony…” Words failed her. “What are you saying?”

He turned to look at her, a serious expression on his face. “I intend on returning to the red rose and I want you to help me, Elizabeth.” She shook her head and stepped back, but Anthony grabbed her arms, stopping her from moving. “I know Edward still visits your bed, even when you are heavy with child. Only he and Lord Warwick know where King Henry is held and I want you to find it out for me. Queen Marguerite and the Prince of Wales will only take me back if I return His Grace to them.”

“No…” she said. “Anthony, no. I will not be your spy. And I will not help you! Edward is King. Mad Henry was a usurper and a tyrant.”

“He was the rightful king. We swore an oath to him,” he said. His eyes, wide and blue, observed her face, reading her expression as easily as he could read a book. “Stop fooling yourself, Elizabeth. Edward has made you his mistress, the mother of another one of his bastards, and not even a boy at that. When King Henry is restored, I shall beg for mercy for you. You are just a woman, weak and in love. He will understand.”

“No!” she repeated, stomping her feet. “Edward is the rightful king! He is the descendant of Philippa of Clarence, he holds the Mortimer claim.”

“Edward killed our father!” Anthony lashed out. “I know it so. The man who came after him wore the royal livery and said the King was calling him. Now our father is dead and it’s all because of Edward.”

“Stop saying that!” She wanted to clamp her hands over her ears, stop his words from coming out, but she couldn’t, and Anthony kept talking.

“Why are you still loyal to him? Do you think he will marry you?” he asked. “His wife has already given him two sons and a whole load of daughters. Do you really think he will set that aside for just a bastard girl?”

“Stop talking!”

“Lionel and Richard are with me. Little Edward too and John…” He shook his head. “John has always been too stubborn for his own good. Now.” He looked at her, “Will you help or not?”

“No.”

“Then you really are a whore,” Anthony said before turning around and leaving.

Oh please, anthony, just because the men wore the king's livery doesn't mean that they were actually in the king's service or acting on the king's command. Also, he is a fool to think that elizabeth would ruin her daughter's prospects by abandoning edward like that.