The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

Family Tree - Yorks
Can we get a family tree for Madeleine and Edward please?

King Edward IV of England (April 1442-) m. Madeleine of France (December 1443-)
  1. Edward of Eltham, Prince of Wales (April 1465-)
  2. Magdalene of York (March 1466-) b. Maximilian of Austria (March 1459-)
  3. Cecily of York (December 1467-)
  4. Richard, Duke of York (October 1468 -)
  5. Catherine of York (November 1469-)

Last edited:

Deleted member 147978

2. Magdalene of York (March 1466-) b. Maximilian of Austria (March 1559-)
Would there be a Duke of Bedford in Edward IV's family ITTL just like IOTL? :V

Family Tree - Valois
Louis XI of France (July 1423-) m. a) Margaret Stewart (1436-1445); b) Charlotte de Savoy (1441-1469); c) Margaret of York (May 1446)
  1. b) Louis de France (October 1458–1460)
  2. b) Joachim de France (July 1459–November1459)
  3. b) Louise de France (born and died in 1460)
  4. b) Anne de France (April 1461−) m. Louis, Duke of Orléans (June 1462-)
  5. b) Joan de France (April 1464–)
  6. b) Marie de France (June 1469-)

1. c) Charles, Dauphin of France (October 1470-)

Last edited:
  2. Magdalene of York (March 1466-) b. Maximilian of Austria (March 1559-)
oh perfect!

December 1470.
December 1470. Windsor Castle, England.

Absence does make the heart grow fonder, Madeleine had learned.

Before his visit to court for the Christmas celebrations, she had not seen her eldest son in three years. The little chubby boy she remembered stumbling over his words and bringing her flowers from the garden was no more, replaced instead with a little serious lord, bowing carefully before her. “Lady Mother,” he whispered with a strange tilt to his words as if he was nervous. As if he was greeting a stranger. Her heart broke.

Her sister-in-law and Ned’s governess held his hand as they came to stand before her, but Madeleine paid her little attention. She looked at her son, her little boy. He was not as chubby as before, certainly because he spent his entire day running and playing through Ludlow Castle, but he still had those fat little cheeks he certainly inherited from her. Madeleine saw with glee that he had her hair, brown curls falling over his eyes, but that was where the similarities ended between them. He looked so much like Edward. There could be no doubt over who his father was.

“Go and hug your mother,” Anne of York whispered.

Ned gave a shy step forward and Madeleine knelt on the ground, hearing her ladies gasp as she did so. She didn’t care though. She didn’t care about anything other than her son. She opened her arms for him and he stepped forward even more. When he came close, Madeleine took his little hands in her own and kissed his little knuckles, pressing them to her face.

She raised her eyes, feeling them filling with tears, and touched his face gently, stroking his cheek. “How beautiful you are,” she whispered. He was the most beautiful boy she had ever seen, with a long and elegant nose and full pink lips. “How special. Do you remember me?”

He shook his head and Madeleine sat back on her ankles, feeling her legs ache under her weight.

“Well, I remember you,” she said. “I remember you very well. I think of you every day and every night, where I pray for you. Do you pray for me?”

He nodded. “I pray for the Queen every night,” he said in a loud voice. “Lady Exeter says I need to pray for my father, my mother and my little brother and sisters. And I do! Every night. I ask God to keep everyone… everyone safe!”

Madeleine smiled. “How good you are,” she said. With a little tug at his hand, she pulled him into an embrace, placing her nose in the crook of his neck to inhale his sweet smell. “I missed you so much, so so much," she whispered, so only he would listen to her. "Did you miss me?"

"I thought of the Queen every day," he said when she pulled away from him. "And the King too. And my brother and sisters.”

It wasn’t really the answer she was looking for, but Madeleine smiled all the same. “Good. We think of you every day too, Ned,” she said, pressing a small kiss to his cheek. She stood up and took his hand, drawing him close to the other side of the room. “I have some gifts for you. Would you like to see it?”

He nodded, biting his lower lip. She could see in his eyes how eager he was for his gifts, but, as a royal, he was drilled extensively into not showing his emotions so overtly. It made her heart thrum in pride. Madeleine brought Ned to the slightly large pile of presents that she and her ladies had picked up over the past.

He looked to Anne of York for confirmation before he picked up the first one.

Last edited:
Edward also thought there were enough Margarets in the world. Almost too much. There was his mother, his wife, his cousin Lady Richmond, the Usurper's sister. He wanted his daughter to be unique and with a name such as Margaret, she'd never have such a promising start. "Blanche of Lancaster.”
Edward is a surprisingly sweet dad.

I’m sorry I’m not writing as long a letter as you did. I don’t really know what to say here. No one really writes me letters. Only my mother did, but now that we are both living at court, there really isn’t a reason for her to write me a letter when she could just find me in my room.
Oh, Harri ignoring his uncle’s letters? I like it.

Before his visit to court for the Christmas celebrations, she had not seen her eldest son in three years. The little chubby boy she remembered stumbling over his words and bringing her flowers from the garden was no more, replaced instead with a little serious lord, bowing carefully before her. “Lady Mother,” he whispered with a strange tilt to his words as if he was nervous. As if he was greeting a stranger. Her heart broke.
Poor Madeleine having to give up her son to England.

Once again @pandizzy a great chapter! One question, how many children do Elizabeth and Edward have ( that he claims) and how many children dose Elizabeth have with her second husband? Thanks!

Once again @pandizzy a great chapter! One question, how many children do Elizabeth and Edward have ( that he claims) and how many children dose Elizabeth have with her second husband? Thanks!
That Edward claims? Just little Bessie. Elizabeth at this point has about 3 children that her husband recognizes as his own.

I was gonna mention elizabeth but i just have yet to find an opening for her or a member of her family to appear