The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

April 1473.
April 1473. Palace of Westminster, England.

Richard lowered the letter at the same time that he raised his eyes, staring right at his older brother, the Duke of Clarence with the utmost disinterest and petty anger that he can possibly muster.

“Is this supposed to help you?” he asked, setting the piece of paper aside. He ran his eyes up and down George. He was wearing light blue colours, with a giddy set to his smile and bouncing on his heels like an eager little boy. “Does this make you happy?”

George scowled. “How can it not?” He pointed to the letter with his open palm. “Do you even realize what this means?”

“Your father-in-law is dead, George,” said Richard. He looked at the letter again, a report from one of his Neville relatives detailing the victory over the petty rebels that were causing trouble in the north and also informing him of the death of the Earl of Warwick. “Show some respect.”

“No one knows yet,” murmured George. “I don’t have to show anything.”

“What is wrong with you?” Richard asked, placing his two palms on the table that stood between them. “What do you think is going to happen?”

“The wealth of the Warwick lands now belong to me!” he insisted. “Which means, you will have no choice, but to hand me the regency and the power!”

Richard stared at his brother with confusion. George seemed strange, out of his mind, and he didn’t know why. As he spoke, he scratched his neck and wrists obsessively and Richard was able to see reddish ulcers sprouting from his skin, possibly born from his constantly biting nails.

He sighed, shaking his head. George had always been difficult and almost dying in the field certainly hadn’t helped. Losing the regency to his younger brother made him lose whatever little sanity he had left, especially considering he had no child to inherit his throne whereas Edward had six surviving and Richard’s wife was pregnant with their third.

“The wealth of Salisbury belongs to you, idiot,” said Richard, exasperated. “The Countess of Warwick remains alive and her lands will stay in her hands until she dies.”

“The old hag is not long for this world,” spat out George, “And she is a woman! Women can’t hold lands.”

“This woman can,” he retorted. “It would also be good for you to remember that the Salisbury earldom only belongs to you through the right of your wife. It’s not entirely yours, George.”

“What is her is also mine,” his brother answered, succinctly. “Richard, as your older brother, I demand you hand over the honours to which I am entitled. Give me the regency!”

“Edward trusted me with the guardianship and the regency,” he responded, rolling his eyes at his brother’s childishness. “And it doesn’t matter. None of us will continue ruling in his name for much longer.”

George frowned. “What do you mean?”

Richard picked up a letter from the desk and hand it over to his brother. The Duke of Clarence was scowling as he all but ripped it from his hands, opening it to read. His eyes moved from one side to the other in rapid fashion. When he was done, he threw the paper on the desk like it was nothing.

“Is he an idiot?” he asked. Richard chuckled as he thought about how it took one to know one. “Why would he agree?”

“Because he’s desperate, I suppose,” he said, shrugging. “Anthony Woodville can’t return to the she-wolf’s side until he has her husband in his custody. By trading Edward with him, each side gains their king back and the war returns to the stalemate it was before Henry’s capture.”

George smiled.

“Then I have just the right man to do your secret mission,” he said. “My loyal soldier. Will do anything asked of him, no matter the moral cost.”

Richard nodded. “Then summon him to court,” he said. “I intend to set up the kingly trade in a fortnight.”

“No need,” George said. “He’s already here.” He turned his face slightly, looking back at the closed door just behind him. “Alfred, come in!”

The door opened and a man stepped inside. He was tall and lanky, but Richard saw his gaze be attracted immediately to his crooked nose, probably broken in a childhood accident that never healed properly, and the large wine-coloured birthmark on his cheek.

Can George be run over by a herd of cows or something, please? I can't stand him. At least he doesn't seem to be actively causing trouble for Richard but I'm sure that will change soon.

I knew Warwick was dead when it was said that they hadn't heard from him yet. Poor Isabel though. She seemed to be close to her father.

Also, does George have some sort of insanity going on? Maybe so venereal disease?

Well, George hopefully won't be too much of a threat to his brothers, rather openly stating what he wants will at least stymie his plots. I do wonder what Alfred will do, considering his connection to Clarence, I fear that perhaps he may be ordered by him to kill either Edward or Henry... Lovely chapter!

Also, does George have some sort of insanity going on? Maybe so venereal disease?
It's worth saying that I was planning on him having syphilis but syphilis was brought over from the Americas to Europe with Columbus' rapists, so, unfortunately, I can't technically say George has syphilis.

Warwick is dead! Hopefully Isabel isn’t too upset. I hope George doesn’t do anything too foolish. Though George is a very foolish man…

I'd say basically saying 'Give me power. I'm rich' is causing trouble, but to each their own, I guess.
I meant that he's just telling Richard to give him power but hasn't actually moved against his brother or did anything. So far he's just talk, at least when it comes to Richard.

Can George be run over by a herd of cows or something, please? I can't stand him. At least he doesn't seem to be actively causing trouble for Richard but I'm sure that will change soon.
Oi, @Victoria. Wanting people to be trampled by cattle is MY thing, madam. I expect an immediate apology for this transgression or it shall be pistols at dawn! :winkytongue:

I have this vision of Henry being handed over into Westminster's hands at the end of long poles and the Lancasters going "wtf?" To which the Yorks go "oh btw he has leprosy and smallpox. Good luck!"

Can someone just drown George in some wine already?
images.jpeg-60.jpg