The Sunne in Splendour: A War of the Roses Timeline

Why do I think George will try to marry Margaret Beaufort? She’s a great Lancastrian heiress, still of an age to have children (though I don’t think she can still have any due to how young she was when she gave birth, there’s no way they would actually know it at the time) and is of enough status that he’d try to do it

Why do I think George will try to marry Margaret Beaufort? She’s a great Lancastrian heiress, still of an age to have children (though I don’t think she can still have any due to how young she was when she gave birth, there’s no way they would actually know it at the time) and is of enough status that he’d try to do it
I honestly think Margaret's value as an heiress has been devalued in the marriage marker due to her having a son from a previous union, who stands to inherit all of her wealth and lands (and has already been named Duke of Somerset) so George isn't going to look for her.

December 1475.
December 1475. Windsor Castle, England.

Little Catherine of York took a deep breath before the large double doors of the great hall, trying to tell herself to relax. She was a big girl now, already six years old and she would not cry like a baby at the Christmas celebrations. She was not like Mimi, or Peggy and Ed, who were true babies that couldn't be trusted to attend the party without causing a ruckus. She was a big girl, a big sister and she would not cry.

Even if she really wanted to.

Catherine was standing behind Dickon and Ceci, with Lady Regina beside her. She could see her mother and father at the front of the queue, holding hands Blanche and Ned right behind them. Magdalene stood behind the Prince and Princess of Wales, alone and she would turn around and smile smugly to her younger sisters.

Catherine didn't really like her oldest sister. Magdalene was mean, and bossy. Ceci said she was very annoying and that she thought highly of herself because Father loved her best and because her future husband was the son of an Emperor.

Catherine didn't really know what 'thought highly of herself' meant, but she knew the son of an Emperor was a good husband. Very good. Her future husband was only the son of a King, and Ceci's future husband was the son of a maybe king, and Peggy didn't even have a bridegroom chosen just yet.

But it didn't matter. Lady Regina licked her hand and she took a deep breath. Catherine closed her eyes, laying her fingers over the dog's soft head. She was a big, brave girl and even if she was brave, Lady Regina would keep her safe.

Catherine felt a hand touch her shoulder and she opened her eyes, turning slightly to look at her older sister. Bess was the daughter of her father with a woman that was not her mother and she had come to court when Catherine was four. Catherine liked her sister, she was nice with auburn hair similar to her own blonde locks and a lovely smile.

Bess winked at her. "You can do it," she whispered before Lady Hastings' soft click of her tongue made them return to their positions.

Catherine nodded, stroking Lady Regina's soft fur with one hand while holding her long leather leash with the other. She was a brave, big girl. She could do it.

The doors opened and her father's herald announced, "His Grace, King Edward and Her Grace, Queen Magdalena. The Prince and Princess of Wales, Edward and Blanche. The Duke of York, Prince Richard and the Princesses Magdalene, Cecily and Catherine."

They entered the great hall with quiet steps, all of the people standing up so they could be courteous to them. Catherine held her breath as they walked together, Lady Regina walked next to her with her large tongue lolling forward. She had a light brown coat, with dark spots around her face and was much larger than Guinefort, her mother's dog.

Catherine sat in a high chair near her brothers. Her father waved for the dancing to start again and quickly, her uncle Richard pulled Ceci to the floor since his wife was heavy with child and had to stay seated. Catherine observed the people silently, biting her lower lip when Father took Magdalene by the hand while her mother stood to talk with Lady Richmond and Lady Rivers.

She'd love to dance, but she didn't want to look silly and didn't have the courage to accept anyone's request. Nor was it proper for a lady of her standing to invite someone of her own volition. So, Catherine stayed seated until it was time for bed. Lady Regina was laying by her feet, licking her ankles gently with Catherine nibbling on her sweets while she longingly watched the couples dancing, wishing she was brave enough to go as well.

--

After the younger children left, Magdalena was eating a plum when her mother-in-law approached her. Duchess Cecily was sixty years old, but remained as witty and proud as she had always been, with a tight expression on her wrinkly face.

"Your Grace," she murmured with a smile. Magdalena dipped her chin in reference, setting the half-eaten plum aside as she gestured for her husband's mother to sit.

"My lady, how are you?" the Queen asked, both out of politeness and actual interest. Duchess Cecily had not been seen lately at court, having retired to her dower lands in Yorkshire at the end of the war, but her presence was still as respected as it had always been.

"Quite well," said Cecily Neville, "And you?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Magdalena said. She moved her eyes back to the crowd, who were dancing. Edward was seated on the throne beside her, but he did not seem to have noticed his mother's presence for he was talking to his brother Richard and had not turned towards them in many minutes.

"Bess Plantagenet seems to have grown used to the court," Cecily murmured. Magdalena felt her entire body freeze at the mention of her husband's illegitimate daughter, but still, she moved her eyes in search of the red-haired girl who was happily dancing with her brother Arthur. "I'm glad to see that she is nothing like her mother. The Lord only knows what sort of snake could we have unleashed in this household if she were."

Magdalena bristled at her tone. "Lady Elizabeth is your granddaughter," she whispered. "How can you see her in such a way?"

Duchess Cecily chuckled boldly.

"I have many grandchildren who are nothing but strangers to me," she said. "Edward has many throughout England, and those he recognized are only a small fraction of it. George has one or two, I believe." She shrugged. "Even pious Richard has John and Katherine Plantagenet, whom the Duchess of Gloucester decided to take in and raise amongst her own children. If I were to make a point of meeting every single bastard that my sons produce, I'd spend my entire life searching for them."

Magdalena said nothing. She looked at the Duchess of Gloucester, who had a hand on her slightly round belly as she spoke with Maud Herbert, the Countess of Northumberland. She could never imagine herself raising her husband's bastards amongst her own, especially out of her own volition. She had only accepted Bess' joining the nursery because her mother was a traitor. Her sister-in-law Anne of York took care of Grace and Arthur in her own lands. Moreover, with Grace already married and settled in as the Countess of Leicester, with Arthur soon to follow as Baron Harington, she barely thought of them. That was how she liked it.

Just the idea of doing the same as the Duchess of Gloucester made her stomach tumble and she felt the taste of bile in the back of her throat. Magdalena pressed a hand to her mouth, feeling as if she was about to vomit.

"Do I upset you?" Duchess Cecily asked. "Forgive me, Your Grace, if I crossed a line, but I assumed you…"

Magdalena stood up. "There is no need for apologies, mother," she said, carefully. "I have just grown exhausted from the festivities." She nodded at the Duchess and left, with her ladies coming to form a line behind her.

--

It was late when Edward finally set his eyes on her. Tall, with dark and angular eyebrows and a lovely face, with high and pronounced cheekbones. She was wearing a soft blue dress with a tall headdress in the gentlest of white, the veil coming down to frame her face.

His mouth parted at the sight of her and he felt a low pull on his groin, encouraged by the absence of his children and wife from the celebrations. Edward turned his head slightly and Richard leaned in, noticing his silent request for a word.

"Who is she?" he asked in a low tone. Richard raised his eyes and found the lady quickly, for there was no other who could compare to her.

"Isabella Gordon," he answered. "Dowager Countess of Erroll. Her husband died earlier this year and after a conflict with her brother-in-law over the custody of her children, the King of Scotland sent her here to serve my wife." Edward nodded, returning her eyes to Isabella. She had noticed his attentions and smiled slyly, dipping into a low curtsy that allowed him a glimpse of her cleavage. Beside him, Richard hesitated. "Would you like me to procure her for you?"

Edward only looked at his brother. That was enough answer for him.

Last edited:
Awww little Catherine and Regina are so cute together, and I'm glad that Catherine is close to her half-sister :love: Oh God, a woman of prominence as Edward's mistress? Magdalena won't be happy at all, I assume him sleeping with random women, while disquieting, wouldn't be quite as humiliating.

Catherine is so precious. And Lady Regina is the best girl! Little Magdalena is gonna be a impressive empress, I dare say. And little Bess, aww!

Edward, you complete and utter garbage bag. Don't you go seducing your sister-in law's lady in waiting! Richard, stop enabling your brother, Mary is gonna kick you out off bed!

December 1475. Windsor Castle, England.

Little Catherine of York took a deep breath before the large double doors of the great hall, trying to tell herself to relax. She was a big girl now, already six years old and she would not cry like a baby at the Christmas celebrations. She was not like Mimi, or Peggy and Ed, who were true babies that couldn't be trusted to attend the party without causing a ruckus. She was a big girl, a big sister and she would not cry.

Even if she really wanted to.

Catherine was standing behind Dickon and Ceci, with Lady Regina beside her. She could see her mother and father at the front of the queue, holding hands Blanche and Ned right behind them. Magdalene stood behind the Prince and Princess of Wales, alone and she would turn around and smile smugly to her younger sisters.

Catherine didn't really like her oldest sister. Magdalene was mean, and bossy. Ceci said she was very annoying and that she thought highly of herself because Father loved her best and because her future husband was the son of an Emperor.

Catherine didn't really know what 'thought highly of herself' meant, but she knew the son of an Emperor was a good husband. Very good. Her future husband was only the son of a King, and Ceci's future husband was the son of a maybe king, and Peggy didn't even have a bridegroom chosen just yet.

But it didn't matter. Lady Regina licked her hand and she took a deep breath. Catherine closed her eyes, laying her fingers over the dog's soft head. She was a big, brave girl and even if she was brave, Lady Regina would keep her safe.

Catherine felt a hand touch her shoulder and she opened her eyes, turning slightly to look at her older sister. Bess was the daughter of her father with a woman that was not her mother and she had come to court when Catherine was four. Catherine liked her sister, she was nice with auburn hair similar to her own blonde locks and a lovely smile.

Bess winked at her. "You can do it," she whispered before Lady Hastings' soft click of her tongue made them return to their positions.

Catherine nodded, stroking Lady Regina's soft fur with one hand while holding her long leather leash with the other. She was a brave, big girl. She could do it.

The doors opened and her father's herald announced, "His Grace, King Edward and Her Grace, Queen Magdalena. The Prince and Princess of Wales, Edward and Blanche. The Duke of York, Prince Richard and the Princesses Magdalene, Cecily and Catherine."

They entered the great hall with quiet steps, all of the people standing up so they could be courteous to them. Catherine held her breath as they walked together, Lady Regina walked next to her with her large tongue lolling forward. She had a light brown coat, with dark spots around her face and was much larger than Guinefort, her mother's dog.

Catherine sat in a high chair near her brothers. Her father waved for the dancing to start again and quickly, her uncle Richard pulled Ceci to the floor since his wife was heavy with child and had to stay seated. Catherine observed the people silently, biting her lower lip when Father took Magdalene by the hand while her mother stood to talk with Lady Richmond and Lady Rivers.

She'd love to dance, but she didn't want to look silly and didn't have the courage to accept anyone's request. Nor was it proper for a lady of her standing to invite someone of her own volition. So, Catherine stayed seated until it was time for bed. Lady Regina was laying by her feet, licking her ankles gently with Catherine nibbling on her sweets while she longingly watched the couples dancing, wishing she was brave enough to go as well.

--

After the younger children left, Magdalena was eating a plum when her mother-in-law approached her. Duchess Cecily was sixty years old, but remained as witty and proud as she had always been, with a tight expression on her wrinkly face.

"Your Grace," she murmured with a smile. Magdalena dipped her chin in reference, setting the half-eaten plum aside as she gestured for her husband's mother to sit.

"My lady, how are you?" the Queen asked, both out of politeness and actual interest. Duchess Cecily had not been seen lately at court, having retired to her dower lands in Yorkshire at the end of the war, but her presence was still as respected as it had always been.

"Quite well," said Cecily Neville, "And you?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Magdalena said. She moved her eyes back to the crowd, who were dancing. Edward was seated on the throne beside her, but he did not seem to have noticed his mother's presence for he was talking to his brother Richard and had not turned towards them in many minutes.

"Bess Plantagenet seems to have grown used to the court," Cecily murmured. Magdalena felt her entire body freeze at the mention of her husband's illegitimate daughter, but still, she moved her eyes in search of the red-haired girl who was happily dancing with her brother Arthur. "I'm glad to see that she is nothing like her mother. The Lord only knows what sort of snake could we have unleashed in this household if she were."

Magdalena bristled at her tone. "Lady Elizabeth is your granddaughter," she whispered. "How can you see her in such a way?"

Duchess Cecily chuckled boldly.

"I have many grandchildren who are nothing but strangers to me," she said. "Edward has many throughout England, and those he recognized are only a small fraction of it. George has one or two, I believe." She shrugged. "Even pious Richard has John and Katherine Plantagenet, whom the Duchess of Gloucester decided to take in and raise amongst her own children. If I were to make a point of meeting every single bastard that my sons produce, I'd spend my entire life searching for them."

Magdalena said nothing. She looked at the Duchess of Gloucester, who had a hand on her slightly round belly as she spoke with Maud Herbert, the Countess of Northumberland. She could never imagine herself raising her husband's bastards amongst her own, especially out of her own volition. She had only accepted Bess' joining the nursery because her mother was a traitor. Her sister-in-law Anne of York took care of Grace and Arthur in her own lands. Moreover, with Grace already married and settled in as the Countess of Leicester, with Arthur soon to follow as Baron Hastings, she barely thought of them. That was how she liked it.

Just the idea of doing the same as the Duchess of Gloucester made her stomach tumble and she felt the taste of bile in the back of her throat. Magdalena pressed a hand to her mouth, feeling as if she was about to vomit.

"Do I upset you?" Duchess Cecily asked. "Forgive me, Your Grace, if I crossed a line, but I assumed you…"

Magdalena stood up. "There is no need for apologies, mother," she said, carefully. "I have just grown exhausted from the festivities." She nodded at the Duchess and left, with her ladies coming to form a line behind her.

--

It was late when Edward finally set his eyes on her. Tall, with dark and angular eyebrows and a lovely face, with high and pronounced cheekbones. She was wearing a soft blue dress with a tall headdress in the gentlest of white, the veil coming down to frame her face.

His mouth parted at the sight of her and he felt a low pull on his groin, encouraged by the absence of his children and wife from the celebrations. Edward turned his head slightly and Richard leaned in, noticing his silent request for a word.

"Who is she?" he asked in a low tone. Richard raised his eyes and found the lady quickly, for there was no other who could compare to her.

"Isabella Gordon," he answered. "Dowager Countess of Erroll. Her husband died earlier this year and after a conflict with her brother-in-law over the custody of her children, the King of Scotland sent her here to serve my wife." Edward nodded, returning her eyes to Isabella. She had noticed his attentions and smiled slyly, dipping into a low curtsy that allowed him a glimpse of her cleavage. Beside him, Richard hesitated. "Would you like me to procure her for you?"

Edward only looked at his brother. That was enough answer for him.
So we have Catherine being the most adorable girl who loves her older half-sister and her best fluffy doggo Lady Regina, little Magdalene who’s already letting the title of Holy Roman Empress get to her, and Edward being a typical scumbag husband who ogles other women. It’s good to see the Yorkist court recovering.

So we have Catherine being the most adorable girl who loves her older half-sister and her best fluffy doggo Lady Regina, little Magdalene who’s already letting the title of Holy Roman Empress get to her, and Edward being a typical scumbag husband who ogles other women. It’s good to see the Yorkist court recovering.
Typical family stuff.

Catherine is such a sweet little lady. All of the children seem to be growing up well, and who is Peggy? Is that Margaret? Perhaps Catherine and Blanche could be friends? I guess we could only go a short time before Edward is back to his philandering. And geez, that is a lot of illegitimate children! No wonder Magdalena felt sick.

Catherine is such a sweet little lady. All of the children seem to be growing up well, and who is Peggy? Is that Margaret? Perhaps Catherine and Blanche could be friends? I guess we could only go a short time before Edward is back to his philandering. And geez, that is a lot of illegitimate children! No wonder Magdalena felt sick.

I think Peggy is Princess Margaret.