The Sun, The Stars and The Sickle: Alt-WWII and a Tripolar Postwar World

What would you like to see next

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what I was hoping for! Not much to say except that I really liked the slight alteration in writing style here, which I assume was to get us into Bill Hamilton's disordered state of mind as he's just exited combat.

Thank you! That's what I was going for, so I'm glad it turned out how I intended!

As for the posters in restaurant windows - I hope there will be no equivalent to the Japanese-American internment camps for Chinese-American citizens ITTL, but unfortunately racism and paranoia are powerful factors. On the other hand, ITTL China is badly fractured between internal fractions, and the war there is more a proxy battle against Nazi influence. Thus the situation is a bit different OTL, in which a unified militaristic empire had just struck US soil.

TTL, the latter is the case, and there is no internment program for Chinese Americans. However, as you noted, suspicion and paranoia still exist, hence the sometime over-the-top displays of patriotism. Another mitigating factor is that Sino-American relations were much better prewar (and far more investment dollars as well) than Japanese-American relations, nor were there years of fearmongering about China as "The Prussia of the East"

Last edited:
Re-skimming the thread, I was reminded of Jaenera Targaryen's excellent contribution of period Japanese military pieces that might become incorporated into Allied news and propaganda (much like how hearing "The British Grenadiers" or "Anchors Aweigh" immediately clues you on in which nation and service is being featured). I wonder if the Union of China might get a similar treatment in Allied and especially American media.

With the caveat that I'm definitely not an expert on 20th-Century China, would this song work? "The General's Mandate" was a folk piece that IRL was eventually used as the basis for the memorable theme of Once Upon a Time in China.

Re-skimming the thread, I was reminded of Jaenera Targaryen's excellent contribution of period Japanese military pieces that might become incorporated into Allied news and propaganda (much like how hearing "The British Grenadiers" or "Anchors Aweigh" immediately clues you on in which nation and service is being featured). I wonder if the Union of China might get a similar treatment in Allied and especially American media.

With the caveat that I'm definitely not an expert on 20th-Century China, would this song work? "The General's Mandate" was a folk piece that IRL was eventually used as the basis for the memorable theme of Once Upon a Time in China.

That just might work!

Now, the song itself is southern Chinese, while much of the Unionist leadership is northern Chinese; the remnants of the Zhili and Beiyang Cliques.

However, there was, OTL and TTL, much more American presence in southern China, and a greater likelihood that an enterprising musically-minded American will hear something that sounds something both inspiring and quintessentially Chinese, and decide to arrange it so.

I assume the Triads are realizing now that you can't use the law to save yourself if the law is to summarily execute illegal combatants.

I suspect Du Yuesheng may have had some contacts with the Shanghai underworld as well, as well as an appetite for it as large as his ears, now that Shanghai is out of his grasp. The Bureau of Opium Suppression has also largely suspended its operations, with Du now tasked with gathering information from Mao's Communists.

TTL, Mao is also less willing to collude with the Japanese to topple Chiang, and the Japanese don't want Mao's help anyway, knowing he'll be a thorn in their sides later.

I assume the Triads are realizing now that you can't use the law to save yourself if the law is to summarily execute illegal combatants.

Since Patton is fighting in China this time around, I can somehow imagine him issuing - with MacArthur's backing, no less - orders that any man found bearing arms without a military uniform is to be shot forthwith as an illegal combatant.

Or, since they have to maintain a semblance of due process, hanged or shot after a summary court martial.

Since Patton is fighting in China this time around, I can somehow imagine him issuing - with MacArthur's backing, no less - orders that any man found bearing arms without a military uniform is to be shot forthwith as an illegal combatant.

Or, since they have to maintain a semblance of due process, hanged or shot after a summary court martial.
Not that big a change, really. SOP is anyone caught behind lines out of uniform doing anything suspicious, like say, bearing weapons, is to shoot 'em.

That is definitely a real test for the Allies.

China is in the midst of an ugly civil war, and the Allies don't want to do anything that will push more people into the Nationalist camp. On the other hand, they can't have Nationalist gangs taking pot shots at their troops, especially when disguising themselves as Unionist irregulars.

Thus far, the Nationalists, Unionists have abided by the terms of the Geneva Convention, as have the Japanese, recalling their conduct during WWI. While a prison camp in China isn't exactly a vacation in Canada, it's nothing like Soviet conditions.

Last edited:
Apologies for the absolutely glacial pace of updates as of late. Much of my creative energy has gone into seeking out a new direction to expand my business, and I have found an excellent opportunity! I hope to have one up in a couple days!

I hope everything goes well for your business.
As for your updates, real life is more important than any timeline, so take as much time as you need.

I hope everything goes well for your business.
As for your updates, real life is more important than any timeline, so take as much time as you need.

Thanks! You guys are the best readership anyone could ask for! This is definitely something I wanted to pursue for quite some time, and the opportunity presented itself and things are looking good so far!

A happy mind is a mind that writes.
I definitely ageee, writing is actually excellent stress relief, as you have to really switch your thinking over to it, which works much better than more passive entertainment does!

Mid 1942 Update
Perhaps nothing groundbreaking, but necessary to move things forward! Canadian Thanksgiving...thankfully have me the chance to write this!

---

Excerpts from
"Pivot 1942". Ganzel, B. and Dworkin, R; F.N. Doubleday, New York, 1987.

Mid 1942 marked a series of changes in the Allied situation, although the change was not necessarily reflected on the map.

The first significant action was the Battle pf Nanking, which pitted some 440 000 Allied troops, the bulk of which were American and Unionist Chinese forces aginst some 760 000 Nationalist forces. After four days of harsh street fighting, the Beiyang Star was draped from the roof of the KMT Headquarters (now a courthouse and government office complex in Nanjing). Casualties were approximately 30 000 Allied and 80 000 Nationalist. The Allied command stressed the importance of waging a clean battle, although some Unionists carried out reprisals against Triads known to have attacked Unionist troops, which was not controversial, but also summarily executed suspected irregular combatants, estimated at 600 by the Unionists and anywhere from 800 to the "ridiculous" figure of 20 000 by various Nationalist sources. While order was quickly brought to Nanking, it became apparent that further fighting deep in Nationalist territory would be even more difficult.

The next major Allied victory in the Eastern China theatre of operations was the Second Battle of Huchow. In contrast to the Battle of Nanking, Unionist forces were not major participants in the initial phases of the battle, owing primarily to the lack of motorization of the Union Army hampering the redeployment of troops from Nanking. The operation was almost entirely a Japanese one, with both the Kwantung and 1st China Expeditionary Armies participating; slightly more were from the former. Overall command fell to Kwantung Army commanding officer General Shunroku Hata, who was eager to repair the Kwantung Army's reputation after its poor performance at the end of Tojo's command.

The battle commenced during the early morning hours of April 27th, 1942, with an IJAAS bombing raid against Xuzhou's electrical infrastructure, fuel and ammunition dumps, as well as Nationalist troop convoys arriving from Nanjing. The IJA artillery performed particularly well during the battle. The lack of purpose-built Type 1 Anti-tank Guns was overcome by employing the Type 92 10cm Cannon and particularly the Type 100 9.4cm Anti-Aircraft Gun in the direct fire role against Nationalist tanks, despite the unsuitability of their mountings.

Nationalist generals Pang Bingxun and Tang Enbei mounted a particularly strong and well-coordinated defence of the city, but it ultimately fell a week later. The Japanese forces, while much smaller in number, were much more mechanized, and turned their air superiority into air supremacy within the openining phases of the battle. The Nationalists, saving what equipment they could, made a hasty retreat for Wuhan. There were not enough Japanese troops to both secure the city and environs as well as pursue the bulk of Nationalist forces, so the decision was made to reinforce Xuzhou instead.

Japanese casualties totalled approximately 24 000 of the 220 000 troops committed, while the Nationalists an estimated 78 000 of 640 000 troops committed, although Nationalist figures vary due to the fluid positioning of forces during this battle.

The Empire of Japan richly rewarded its successful commanders in the wake of the battles of Nanking and Huchow. On June 9th, 1942, both Terauchi and Hata received their Field Marshal's badges, the first two such awards the IJA would make during the war.

Farther to the west, the Nationalist advance into Thailand and Malaya was blunted just inside the Malay border at Kota Bharu in early May. Forces under the command of Lieutenant General Tadamichi Kuribayashi dug in well, preparing layers of tank traps and using the difficult terrain to their advantage. The first wave if Nationalist troops, under the command of General Feng Yuxiang were already exhausted from months of fighting, and constant harrassment from American, British and Japanese aerial and naval bombardment, and were unable to press their advantage.
The Nationalists' supply chain had been severely disrupted by the "plinking" campaign by the Allied navies, making preparations for a further attack especially difficult.

During this time, the National Army delayed plans for a campaign against British India, partly because the Nationalists did not expect the Unionists to gain as much popularity as they had in such a short time period. The Nationalists also developed new tactics and equipment for aerial attacks on Allied shipping, including a 500kg semi armour-piercing bomb. These new bombs, dropped from licence-built Ju-88s were used in an attack on the IJN's fleet off Burma, and two of them struck the hybrid carrier Fuso. One bomb broke up on impact, while the second penetrated the flight deck, causing severe damage. Fuso, although sitting low and listing, made for Singapore under her own power, although the flight deck and tall pagoda mast adversely affected her stability.

In the Soviet Union, the Germans once again rallied for their summer offensive, intending to capture the Caucasus to secure oil. In the meantime, steel production could barely keep pace with demand, and iron ore stockpiles were critically low. Sweden continued to refuse to sell Nazi Germany iron, and Russia remained the main source now. Nazi Germany was at a crossroads- oil, iron or Moscow- which was needed first?

Last edited:
Smart move, on Terauchi and Hata's parts, on focusing on fortifying Xuzhou as opposed to attempting to pursue retreating KMT forces west. Not only does this conserve limited Japanese manpower and resources, it allows the city to be used as a stepping stone for the next stage of the Allied advance towards Chongqing.

Meanwhile, in SE Asia, Kuribayashi seems to have gotten a good start with the defense of Kota Bharu, though I imagine the KMT will be sending fresh troops soon. Also, what is this 'plinking' campaign by the Allied navies?

With regard to Germany and the Soviet Union...if the Germans had taken Leningrad, had some leeway with regard to resources, and had taken the rail links to the front from Moscow, then I'd suggest going for Moscow before the Caucasus. The latter would just give the Soviets an opportunity to draw the Germans in, and then pincer and pocket them. As things stand, however, Germany does not have the resources to take Moscow, but going into the Caucasus with Moscow still in Soviet hands only gives the Red Army an opportunity to smash the German Army.

. Also, what is this 'plinking' campaign by the Allied navies?

That is the bombardment of the Nationalists' convoys and troop concentrations in coastal Burma and Thailand. Plinking is informal target shooting with improvised targets, which applies pretty aptly here. The USN operates off the eastern side of the Kra Isthmus, while the RN and IJN take up stations on the west side.

That is the bombardment of the Nationalists' convoys and troop concentrations in coastal Burma and Thailand. Plinking is informal target shooting with improvised targets, which applies pretty aptly here. The USN operates off the eastern side of the Kra Isthmus, while the RN and IJN take up stations on the west side.

Yikes...talk about hell, given the Allies are probably throwing around 8-inch shells at the smallest caliber, while on the upper end we've got 16-inch shells falling like rain.

Yikes...talk about hell, given the Allies are probably throwing around 8-inch shells at the smallest caliber, while on the upper end we've got 16-inch shells falling like rain.

Not only is it terrible for NA logistics (coastal roads are dangerous, you can't stay still for too long either), it's hellacious on the morale of the troops as well. Day in, day out, they're getting massive shells dropped on them, and there's nothing they can do about it. They can strike at any moment, and the RN and IJN especially are experienced doing it at night or in bad weather.

This is what happens when a heavy tank gets hit with a 16" shell. I can identify the turret ring and a road wheel...and that's about it. Much of the rest is just gone:

main-qimg-b8b3114a9263642c630d7b08e492d5ba

Not only is it terrible for NA logistics (coastal roads are dangerous, you can't stay still for too long either), it's hellacious on the morale of the troops as well. Day in, day out, they're getting massive shells dropped on them, and there's nothing they can do about it. They can strike at any moment, and the RN and IJN especially are experienced doing it at night or in bad weather.

This is what happens when a heavy tank gets hit with a 16" shell. I can identify the turret ring and a road wheel...and that's about it. Much of the rest is just gone:

main-qimg-b8b3114a9263642c630d7b08e492d5ba

And when it's not battleship or cruiser fire, they have to watch for Beauforts or Wellingtons from the RAF, or IJAAF Ki-21s and Ki-49s conducting level bombing, backed by Ki-51s and D3As, which in addition to delivering precision air strikes, would also be conducting strafing runs.

And when it's not battleship or cruiser fire, they have to watch for Beauforts or Wellingtons from the RAF, or IJAAF Ki-21s and Ki-49s conducting level bombing, backed by Ki-51s and D3As, which in addition to delivering precision air strikes, would also be conducting strafing runs.

Given that the KMT forces are attempting to advance rather than dug in, even aircraft cannon strafing can be rather nasty. With bombs and battleship-grade fire incoming, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the KMT units arrange "accidents" for officers who try to force the men into killzones.

Status
Not open for further replies.