The Sun, The Stars and The Sickle: Alt-WWII and a Tripolar Postwar World

What would you like to see next

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatta

Donor
Speaking of Normandy and the R Class, I think that the allies should create a shore bombardment fleet with the R's, the Standards, and a BBV or 2. This would likely actually destroy some of the German fortified positions.

Speaking of Normandy and the R Class, I think that the allies should create a shore bombardment fleet with the R's, the Standards, and a BBV or 2. This would likely actually destroy some of the German fortified positions.

That's certainly a possibility! TTL, while the Germans were attempting to build reinforced submarine pens on the French coast, HM Ships Barham, Malaya and Ramillies were sent to demolish them while they were still under construction- which they did. As of now TTL, all 5 Queen Elizabeth class battleships are in service, with none sunk.

A bit of problem might be basing and concentration of assets and number of slips. They still will need support for alt!Mulberrys, whatever they're called. And considering the scale of the Allies is greater here... maybe even three Mulberries are to be produced?

BBV's? Aviation Battleships?

Sorry, I'll put down my shipgirl game now...

I wonder if those will be more popular now...

Well, we probably won't get Azur Lane. But I think Kantai Collection, if it does appear, there will be more foreign ship girls in Kantai Collection ie Iowas, Queen Elizabeths etc

Chances are we might not get either, and that's even assuming video games will be a thing ITTL.

But it's still early (as in, we're in the 1940s) so anything could happen.

Chances are we might not get either, and that's even assuming video games will be a thing ITTL.

But it's still early (as in, we're in the 1940s) so anything could happen.
That is true. Oh well, can't wait to see what's next. I wonder if we will see Nagato, Texas and Warspite off the coast of Normandy blasting away at German defences.

Yup. the old Japanese 14" gun battleships are being converted into Aviation Battleships, to provide additional support and make use of their hulls, which are otherwise obsolete as battleships. It was the explosion of Hyuuga that launched the Japanese into open war with China (and provided the opportunity).

The US responded by converting four of the Alaska class into aviation battleships as well. A choice the US is now somewhat regretting.

Yatta

Donor

It's the age of the Aviation Battleship!
Basically a Ise Kai2, but with angled flight deck and twin turrets and steam catapults.
Fuso Class (converted 1939-1941):

Flag: Japan

Type: Aviation Battleship

Ships in Class:

Fuso
Yamashiro

Dimensions: 715' x 108' x 29'. 39 000 t standard.

Main Armament: 4 x 14" guns in two 2-gun turrets.

Air Wing: 24 + 3 reserve

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 26 kn rated speed. 100 000 shp.

Characteristics:

-Normal, raked bow, raised forecastle, raised and overhanging flight deck abaft funnel

-Very tall pagoda masts

-Two 14" mounts ahead of superstructure, on centreline end. One raised mount superfiring.

-Funnels trunked into forward funnel; original mixed firing boilers replaced with oil-firing boilers, direct-drive turbines replaced with geared turbines.

-Outward angled, Y-shaped exhaust outlet atop funnel

-Lengthened 40' astern during reconstruction; flight deck overhangs an additional 10'.

-Angled flight deck.

-Steam catapults.

Ise Class
(converted 1939-1941):

Flag: Japan

Type: Aviation Battleship

Ships in Class:

Ise
Hyuuga

Dimensions: 743' x 104' x 30'. 41 000 tons at standard load.

Main Armament: 4 x 14" guns in two 2-gun turrets.

Air Wing: 32 + 4 reserve

Propulsion: Oil-fired boilers, geared steam turbines. 26 kn rated speed. 110 000 shp.

Characteristics:

-Normal, raked bow, raised forecastle, raised and overhanging flight deck abaft funnel

-Very tall pagoda masts

-Two 14" mounts ahead of superstructure, on centreline end. One raised mount superfiring.

-Funnels trunked into forward funnel; original mixed firing boilers replaced with oil-firing boilers, direct-drive turbines replaced with geared turbines.

-Outward angled, Y-shaped exhaust outlet atop funnel

-Lengthened 45' astern during reconstruction; flight deck overhangs an additional 15'.

-Angled flight deck.

-Steam catapults.
file
Something like this?

A bit of problem might be basing and concentration of assets and number of slips. They still will need support for alt!Mulberrys, whatever they're called. And considering the scale of the Allies is greater here... maybe even three Mulberries are to be produced?

"Mulberry" is still the code name for the project to develop temporary artificial harbours. There will definitely be at least three considered- the Allies will want to bring a lot of stuff with them. Norway was a rare example of learning from someone else's mistake- the Allies do not want to be caught without supplies, and be caught in a humiliating rout like the Wehrmacht was. They landed as Aryan supermen, they left hungry, cold and exhausted, with children laughing at them, only to be faced with the sight of the capsized Blucher as the evacuation vessels carried them down the Oslofjord.

Simply using lighters and crane ships will be far too slow for the the volumes required, so a harbour required until one can be taken. It is suspected that the Germans will expect a landing at a French port, and will have mined them thoroughly, so attempting to take one intact will be too risky.

The Allies thus far have the Higgins and Daihatsu type landing craft at their disposal, although they will still need an LST or equivalent.

TTL, there won't be Iowas, but you do get the Louisiana, Oregon and Alabama class battleships, in the 44 000 t, 49 000 t and 68 000 t (standard) weight classes.

As for manga, it is still around TTL. WWII has seen the introduction of cheaply printed volumes with heavy-handed patriotic themes. The Shounen series typically involve dramatic storylines based around military heroism and cameraderie. The most popular storylines are those that feature fighter pilots and battleship sailors. The inside covers often feature airplane silhouettes to identify.

The Shoujo volumes generally don't sell as well. The common themes are slice-of-life stories about coping with the war on the homefront, although some especially risqué ones tackle the subject of battlefield nurses.

@Yatta Dead on!

TTL, there won't be Iowas, but you do get the Louisiana, Oregon and Alabama class battleships, in the 44 000 t, 49 000 t and 68 000 t (standard) weight classes.

Also, you got me imagining what Caro Maru and Soda Maru would look like. If it's anything like OTL, they'd be pouncing on them with those nicknames...

As for manga, it is still around TTL. WWII has seen the introduction of cheaply printed volumes with heavy-handed patriotic themes. The Shounen series typically involve dramatic storylines based around military heroism and cameraderie. The most popular storylines are those that feature fighter pilots and battleship sailors. The inside covers often feature airplane silhouettes to identify.

Anything else like your caricature of Churchill from earlier in the thread? With the only battleship-on-battleship confrontations being British on German, I could see some glamorization of the British sailors in that regard. And some liberties taken with said depiction of said sailors.

Also, you got me imagining what Caro Maru and Soda Maru would look like. If it's anything like OTL, they'd be pouncing on them with those nicknames...

Anything else like your caricature of Churchill from earlier in the thread? With the only battleship-on-battleship confrontations being British on German, I could see some glamorization of the British sailors in that regard. And some liberties taken with said depiction of said sailors.

Ah yes! I had actually been meaning to do another propaganda update!

In Japanese depictions, Albion is anything but perfidious. The popular view Britain was the one Western nation that brought Japan back into the fold, and that although the formal Alliance lapsed, Britain came through in the end.

The British sailor in particular is depicted positively, due in no small part to shared lineage. The Imperial Japanese Navy is modeled after the Royal Navy, and many of its ships are of or inspired by British designs. The grand dame of the IJN's capital ships, Kongou, was actually built in Britain. Officers' swords are closely related to contemporary British patterns rather than the Japanese-styled shin gunto. Many captains still choose to command their bridges in English as well.

The British sailor, usually blond and blue eyed, is Jolly Jack Tar, afraid of nothing and ready for anything. The destroyerman, standing on the open compass platform as his ship bares down on a cruiser many times its size is a popular subject for posters, as are British and Japanese capital ships sinking German ones. Another popular propaganda poster features a British and Japanese sailor both hauling on the same globe-spanning rope.

The Foot Guards, in their bearskins and scarlet tunics, and the Highlanders in kilts and feather bonnets are also the subjects of much fascination, just like how the British public tend to think of samurai traditions when the IJA is mentioned.

Although not yet as widespread as the popular image for Britain, there are popular depictions of Canadians and Australians. Both are depicted as hardy, adventure-loving peoples who thrive in the harshest of conditions. The Canadians are usually depicted in boots and fur-trimmed parkas, in snowy mountains or in ice-bound convoys, while Australians are rarely not depicted in bush jackets and slouch hats with huge smiles on their faces.

What the allied view on German peace if there a coup

It will be one of many items discussed at the Tunis Conference, but as of now it looks like:

Unconditional surrender.

Churchill and Reynaud absolutely refuse to budge on this matter. In their view, Versailles was too light a punishment for Germany, who must never be allowed to start another war like the last one again.

However, if Chiang offered decent enough terms, the Allies might negotiate with China.

I think Stalin would support unconditional surrender too. He won't want another German threat in the future.

Then, the Japanese will likely stand by UK and France on that point, as they value their alliance.

Only the USA might be inclined to accept less than unconditional surrender.

BTW, how is France viewed in Japan ?

Although not yet as widespread as the popular image for Britain, there are popular depictions of Canadians and Australians. Both are depicted as hardy, adventure-loving peoples who thrive in the harshest of conditions. The Canadians are usually depicted in boots and fur-trimmed parkas, in snowy mountains or in ice-bound convoys, while Australians are rarely not depicted in bush jackets and slouch hats with huge smiles on their faces.

Anything going on with NZ or the Maori Battalion? People love to bring up Gurkha, the knife does make em stand out, but we have a pretty solid reputation to.

Just read through this engaging timeline. Really good work -always glad to see Japan on allied side + becoming a more sensible country :)

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Unconditional surrender? Absolutely. Balkanization - bad idea. It'd cripple the European economy, and the Americans would put all the pressure they can exert to keep it from happening. And it'd be easier to defend against the Soviet Union with a democratized (West) Germany on the frontline than a patchwork of mutually-jealous and competing states that the Soviets could easily subvert and/or play each other.

Unless the Allies want another occupation force marching down the Champs Elysees in a couple of decades, a divided Germany is the most they can cut Germany up.

On propaganda though, how are the Japanese portrayed in Britain and the Commonwealth? How are they made visually distinct from the Chinese? No offense to Japanese and Chinese members, but it is historical fact that at this point in time, Westerners tended to see Asians as semi-homogeneous ethnic groups, i.e. South Asians all look Indian, and all East Asians look Chinese, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.