The Sun, The Stars and The Sickle: Alt-WWII and a Tripolar Postwar World

What would you like to see next

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught up and really liking this timeline. Excited for future updates!

Thank you! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it!

All of that sounds good, though I'd add a look into the Soviet Union to that list. I think that is more prescient than a look at the USA at this point even.

It is indeed high time for an update on the Soviet situation, it will be the next update! I was thinking more of a top-down view rather than a character-narrative style just to get everything up to speed.

I know Norway of today is considering making a series of very expensive bridges to connect their cities in the north which are not as north as you might think and yet today are either not connected by road at all or by rather poor roads. Basically a land connection through Norway to Russia is just logistically impossible. Though you are right that Finland will find it harder to act on their revanchism now that Britain can more easily send supplies and soldiers via boat to Russia. Plus the Med should be more or less totally open to the Brits giving an even better supply line to the USSR through the Black Sea ports, so that is a plus.

On the downside though the US looks set to remain neutral or even declare war on Japan and Britain over some incident started by the Manila Gang. Which means the added supplies the Soviets get from Britain and maybe Japan will be counterbalanced by not getting US lend lease, it is quite possible that when all is tallied USSR ends up in the red compared to OTL. Plus though Germany had more setbacks it also is more focused, no North Africa campaign, maybe no involvement in the Balkans and they are out of Norway too so all the more potential bodies to throw at Russia. I would tend to agree that opening a front against USSR does not make sense for China but Chiang may do it thinking that he can score some easy wins against the exposed Siberian underbelly of Russia, boosting morale without costing him many men compared to what he needs to throw at Tojo.

Anyhow we will see what @WaterproofPotatoes has in mind for us ;)

The Manila Gang are definitely a wildcard among wildcards now, and the exceptionally poor intelligence work by Willoughby certainly hampers their ability to make properly-informed decisions. While Japan is still the biggest problem for their Pacific ambitions, the United States would still rather not have a war break out- that would be a big problem for their base in the Philippines and their trade through Shanghai.

Updates to the situation are forthcoming as well- after the Soviet Union, the next updates will include a view from Chiang, and an update on the Manila Gang's activities.

As ever, requests and questions are welcome!

Hmm, I don't suppose the Army has considered looking into hiring locals for rear line occupational work? I mean, I'll be honest, if they can't get people from Japan, they gotta look at other sources of manpower.

And unless anyone has any other alternatives....

Hmm, I don't suppose the Army has considered looking into hiring locals for rear line occupational work? I mean, I'll be honest, if they can't get people from Japan, they gotta look at other sources of manpower.

And unless anyone has any other alternatives....

The Manchukuo Imperial Army is indeed engaged heavily in rear-line duties within the borders of Manchukuo, but now the Kwantung Army is stretched so far that manpower shortages are starting to catch up with them. The IJA General Staff want to start drawing on the local forces for front-line duties as well, outside the antebellum borders of Manchukuo.

The aim is to cut China off from Soviet and German aid, and force a surrender with favourable terms for Japan- which will necessarily include the cession in perpetuity of Manchukuo, Mengjiang and the Kwantung Leased Territory.

Each Area Army has to compete for resources as well, in addition to the Navy. Hata, the Inspector General, is paying Tojo a visit to see just how trained, or trainable some of them are. They won't exactly be Imperial Guards, but they'll still compare favourably to most National Army troops. There are also Russian and Jewish volunteers, the former of which already have cavalry battalions under Japanese officers.

EDIT: As for civilians, many are involved in defence industries, as well as mining, railway operation and construction, trucking, and a fledgling merchant marine. Though the Japanese influence is unmistakable, many of Manchukuo's citizens are hard at work, providing the built and logistical strength for the defence of Manchukuo and the IJA's campaigns.

Last edited:
When You're Russian, There's No Time For Stalin
Moscow, RSFSR, USSR

January 12th, 1941

5:34 PM

JOSEPH Stalin was a cautious man. Some would say paranoid, but they wouldn't dare say that out loud.

It was undeniable that the wily Stalin was surprised that Germany was able to triumph against France, especially after such a surprisingly poor showing in Norway. Germany was also struggling against Britain, but that was a sea and air war, completely different from the conditions they would face should they invade the Soviet Union.

It was precisely that which had Stalin worried. Norway was an amphibious war, and Germany lost. Poland, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, France... those were land wars and Germany smashed her opposition. he studied a map intently, puffing his pipe. He was alone for this, for he needed to be. He sifted through intelligence reports, prepared for his eyes only. Sometimes, even the People's representative needed to be alone with his thoughts.

Officially, Germany had a neutrality pact with the Soviet Union, but it didn't take a genius to know that Hitler's promises were worthless. Still, surely Hitler wouldn't be stupid enough to attempt an invasion of the one nation on his borders that was willing to work with him?

It was the situation in the Far East that had Stalin far more worried. Who was his greatest threat?

Japan, an Imperialist nation, made a massive land grab in China, and projected their forces westward on a flimsy pretext, to cut China off from Soviet aid and trade with Germany in the hopes of forcing surrender. Japan also held territory which had once belonged to the old Russian Empire. They harboured anti-Communist traitors in Manchukuo and Mengjiang, and even allowed them to join the military in their puppet states. They had a small, albeit modern, army with significant motorization and mechanization, air power, and the third largest Navy in the world. But were they the bigger threat?

China had been taken over by the Nationalists, and the Communists banished to the hinterlands of China's Northwest. More concerning was the German training and advice that the Chinese National Army was receiving from the Germans. The Chinese National Army, although it was backwards compared to the Imperial Japanese Army, was much larger than the IJA. The National Army's elite German trained and armed units also began to be equipped with locally-produced Panzer IIIs and the fledgling Air Force began to receive Bf-109 D models. They weren't much of a threat now, but could they be later? Certainly, they were less far apart from an ideological standpoint then the Japanese were, but, then again, the Japanese were allied with Britain and France.

Who was more of a problem?

Stalin made his decision. The question was really "both or neither". The answer was to sign neutrality agreements with both. Then, fortify the Eastern border, and pick a winner when one began to emerge. Now, where is Comrade Molotov? He has his work cut out for him.

Wily Uncle Joe wasn't about to leave anything to chance. The People and the Revolution depended on it. If it required some tough decisions and unsavoury temporary setbacks, so be it.

China Background
I was going to do another update from the Chinese perspective, but I realized it might be better if I gave some more background, as well as some context for the "flimsy pretext" in the above update.

TTL, China has continued with the 1930 Sino-German Co-Operation Pact; reaffirmed in 1934 and 1938.

Japan has been less aggressive, beginning rapprochement with Britain in 1934, and is a de facto Anglo-ally by 1937.

Japan also has not kept a large garrison in Shanghai, and at times, has even discussed an alliance with China; the efforts spearheaded by General Iwane Matsui, but these efforts inevitably collapsed over the issue of Manchukuo.

Japan's fledgling alliance with Britain leads China to seek a European partner as well, and Germany is the choice that Chiang makes. They are staunchly anti-communist and knowledgeable about land warfare, and they also are less likely to ask for territorial concessions than other European powers; their territorial ambitions lying elsewhere. Germany gets a lot of natural and human resources out of the deal.

In China, Chiang has managed to consolidate power within the KMT, mostly. With the Japanese seemingly content with Manchukuo and Mengjiang, he seeks to purge the Communists first.

Chiang, concerned about the warlords within the party and Communists everywhere, seldom travels without his German-trained bodyguards, particularly after the Sino-German Pact is renewed in 1934; much to the consternation of Matsui and several of the former warlords in the KMT, some of which have Communist sympathies; others who want all foreign involvement to Chinese affairs to end.

These bodyguards manage to foil a plot to kidnap Chiang in late 1936 (the OTL Xi'an Incident). Chiang, as such, never makes a truce with the Communists, and grows increasingly paranoid about threats within the KMT. The prominent warlord Zhang Xueliang, a known opium addict, "overdoses" shortly after his involvement in the plot is discovered. Wu Peifu was promised safe retirement in Nanchang, but monitored closely so he could not attempt to form a new clique to oppose Chiang. Wu remained there until 1938, when Chiang called him up to fight the Communists in the West.

Other major players include Wang Jingwei, the de facto leader of the KMT's left wing, and "Big-Eared Du"- Du Yuesheng, the warlord and drug lord who marshals considerable popular support in Shanghai.

The official casus belli for the start of the Second Sino-Japanese War and Japanese involvement in WWII is the Hyuga Incident on September 7th, 1939. The Japanese government alleged Chinese terrorists planted a bomb on the battleship Hyuga and detonated it within her No. 5 turret, with the intention of blowing up the ship. However, the damage was akin to that of a turret explosion; it failed to detonate the magazines. Furthermore, the explosion took place just off Yokosuka; it would have been exceedingly difficult for the plotters to infiltrate security and board the ship. On the other hand, the ship had just left the dockyard (where an infiltration could have taken place). If proper damage control procedures were taken, and the bomb were poorly placed, it could very well mimic a turret explosion. Terrorists are also not necessarily demolitions experts either. The execution meant nothing to Japan; it was the intention that shocked them

Chiang and Mao both steadfastly denied any involvement; the Japanese blamed German instigation as well. The Japanese argument was that even if neither Chiang nor Mao authorized the attack, neither did anything to prevent it, nor did they put enough effort into rounding up the perpetrators.

At the time, there were many groups opposing Japanese involvement in Manchuria, collectively termed "bandits" or "terrorists" depending on their relative sophistication by the Japanese. The militias involved had a wide variety of ties, ranging from Communist groups, to ultranationalists, and the Sinofascist Blue Shirts clique within the KMT.

One of the strangest was the SS-backed "Steel Helmet Clan", aka Stahlhelm-Ost. This group took an ultra-far-right stance, and took the view that the Japanese and other Asian nations were racially inferior to the Han Chinese. Their ultimate, far-fetched aim was that the "Reformed Ming Dynasty" should rule all of Asia, including parts of the Soviet Union; but they would settle on expelling the Japanese and installing a Ming descendant as puppet Emperor while a Fascist regime ruled from either Beijing or Nanking. Despite never numbering more than a few hundred, possibly thousand, members, they were known for being particularly violent even by the standards of bandits. Although they denied responsibility, they claimed, variably, that the Hyuga bombing was either a right and just action by Chinese patriots or a false flag operation by the Japanese government.

With tensions as high as they were, war was all but inevitable, but this incident was what set events into motion.

Last edited:
The Jiangsu Candidate
Because I don't have enough pictures, here is the Headquarters of the National Government of the Republic of China, circa 1927:

iu

Nanking, Republic of China

January 11th, 1941

10:37 AM

ADOLF Eichmann had finally gotten used to the sights, sounds, and smells of China. Initially an assault on the senses, he had grown used to them by now. He had a job to do, after all.

Today, he would finally meet with Generalissimo Chiang, the entire purpose of his assignment; he resented that it had taken so long. The meeting was to be with Alexander von Falkenhausen and Du Yuesheng, the party bigwig that controlled Shanghai as well.

He looked over his crisply-pressed SS uniform, and was satisfied with everything, except for the rank patch- it denoted the rank of Obersturmbannführer, the equivalent of a lieutenant colonel in the Wehrmacht. This was the highest rank awarded to an SS man who had clawed his way up the ranks as he had. Promotion beyond this rank, to Standartenführer and ranks loftier than that were awarded only two ways- a battlefield promotion, or by gaining Himmler's personal favour. Eichmann hoped for the latter.

He looked over his notes,,as he was apt to do while he rode through the crowded streets of Nanking in a staff car to meet with Chiang and Falkenhausen. He could not afford any mishaps, the needs of the Reich and his career depended on it.

He couldn't help but feel slightly nervous as the car pulled up to the arched building that housed the Headquarters of the National Government. He disagreed with how Falkenhausen was managing the "advice", but Falkenhausen could just as easily pull rank (he was, after all, a retired General) and embarrass him in front of Chiang and Du.

As he entered Chiang's office, he was directed to a chair to Falkenhausen's left, in front of Chiang's desk. Chiang sat at the centre of his desk, and behind him, relaxed in a padded chair by the window and smoking a huge cigar was jug-eared Du Yuesheng in a rumpled suit.

A translator stood at the side of the desk, resulting in something of a delay between the exchanges.

Chiang opened the meeting in his characteristically brusque manner.

"Ah, a present from Berlin! Another advisor! Just what I always wanted!"

Eichmann bristled but said nothing, while Falkenhausen remained silent, Chiang chuckled at his own joke, and Du scratched one of his huge ears and brushed cigar ash from his pant leg.

"Good morning, Generalissimo Chiang! Heil Hitler" said Eichmann as he stood up and gave a Nazi salute, before sitting back down.

"Please, dispense with the pleasantries" deadpanned Chiang, without getting up, and weakly giving a military salute. "Advice is the last thing I need. I need tanks, guns, money, and loyal soldiers who can read. The Japanese are still there. They still have more planes, tanks, and artillery. They walked into Beiping and took it- the centre of thousands of years of Chinese culture! And all this after I have received 'advice' from Berlin!"

"Generalissimo, I am well aware of your frustration" said Falkenhausen, apparently used to Chiang's mercurial moods "Perhaps, Mr. Eichmann would like to present his findings from his research on military matters?"

Eichmann could tell that Falkenhausen disliked him, but he didn't care. Falkenhausen was one of the old generation of elite officers who simply did not understand the modern world and modern warfare as far as Eichmann was concerned.

"I will begin, then, if all are ready." The remaining three men nodded as Eichmann spoke. "The problem here has less to do with small scale tactics; it is a problem with overall strategy. To train the bulk of the National Army to the standards of the Japanese Army will simply take too long. The Japanese will then turn their industrial might towards making their position in the Manchuria unassailable. They may then, if they are not capable already, strike down the coast to take Shanghai, or bomb Nanking to dust."

Chiang looked on with great interest, and at the mention of Shanghai, Du sat up straight. "Go on, Eichmann" said Chiang

"You, Generalissimo, however, enjoy the superiority of numbers. Numbers which the Japanese can neither marshal nor replace. German military tactics are second to none- the Japanese will be defeated with movement warfare; they only understand the obsolete practice of static defence. Specially trained, motorized assault divisions will lead offensives, in conjunction with armour. Massed troops will then flood and overwhelm the Japanese positions.

I will supervise the formation of the first of these Panzergrenadier regiments, Waffen-SS Rechtschaffene Faust. You, Generalissimo, are no doubt familiar with the name- it recalls China throwing off the shackles of foreign oppression in the Rebellion of Righteous and Harmonious Fists. The Germany that participated in it was a different one; one corrupted by the forces of international banking. They are parasites on your nation as well, and we will aid you in eliminating them, just as we have in ours."

"On who's authority do you plan to do that?" scoffed Falkenhausen, as Chiang's eyes followed the two men.

"The personal authority of Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler. I could easily arrange a conversation about this matter" said Eichmann, his voice barely betraying any expression.

With Falkenhausen silenced, Eichmann continued.

"Such a plan, of course, will eliminate the need for a campaign of attrition, which, thus far, has failed to achieve results. The aged princelings that lead the Japanese army have no stomach for this modern type of warfare. They will capitulate."

Falkenhausen scoffed once again. "Mr. Eichmann, with all due respect, what military experience do you have? Do you feel it is responsible to make such lofty guarantees?"

Eichmann, starting directly ahead, and with palpable frustration, said "I have eyes, General von Falkenhausen. In sixteen weeks, France, the mightiest of the armies that opposed us, collapsed completely, and we now control everything from the Rhine to the Channel. After sixteen months in China, the Japanese control nearly all of Inner Mongolia, a swath of coast, and everything they held before. Perhaps, a shift in strategy may be advisable.

In any case, my focus will be administration. The SS has at its disposal some of the finest tactical and strategic minds; experts in every manner of warfare and effective training. I come to advise, not to usurp"

Falkenhausen opened his mouth to object, but a voice from the back of the room interrupted him.

Du broke his silence. "What of the Americans?" he asked, brushing away a cloud of cigar smoke. "Will they get involved?"

Eichmann beamed, pleased with his new position as an expert . "A good question, Mr. Du. The answer? For the right price. If the Japanese inconvenience them, the Americans just might solve some of our problems for us. Remember, above all, they are an exceptionally weak-willed, decadent culture. They care only about money and convenience. Carry on business as usual, and make sure that their access to cheap liquor and their degenerate radio serials are not interrupted. We will deal with them later, they aren't important now."

Du smiled, and then laughed loudly.

"I like him" Du said boisterously, as Chiang looked on approvingly. "You" he said, pointing his cigar at Falkenhausen "Why didn't you send us a guy like that before?"

Falkenhausen said nothing, and frowned. Eichmann said nothing, and smiled.

"Gentlemen" said Chiang "You will have to excuse me, I have some pressing internal matters to attend to. However, I appreciate input from you both, and I look forward to discussing these matters further. Now is the time to be bold; to be decisive!"

Perhaps now, China had been biding her time long enough, and her fortunes would turn at last...

---
AN: Why, oh why, must there be a Falkenhorst and a Falkenhausen both featured in this TL...

Last edited:
Then, fortify the Eastern border

Hrm. Forts and static defenses, then? Will this allow mobile units to be sent westward while conscript units are busy building ditches, trenches, and laying concrete?

Furthermore, the explosion took place just off Yokosuka

I hadn't realized she was basically in Yokosuka when that happened.

That definitely explains a lot more of the American antipathy, as this excuse has become even more thinly veiled than OTL.

false flag operation by the Japanese government.

Is it paranoia if they're really out to get you?

Perhaps, a shift in strategy may be advisable.

The biggest question will be whether there is enough time to train for this strategy shift... It's only Jan 1941, but if Russia is going to be invaded, it will be invaded soon.

Eichmann beamed, pleased with his new position as an expert . "A good question, Mr. Du. The answer? For the right price. If the Japanese inconvenience them, the Americans just might solve some of our problems for us. Remember, above all, they are an exceptionally weak-willed, decadent culture. They care only about money and convenience. Carry on business as usual, and make sure that their access to cheap liquor and their degenerate radio serials are not interrupted. We will deal with them later, they aren't important now."

Hrm. This is familiar; OTL Eichmann opinion, general Nazi position, or something else. It's one of these things I feel I should know but don't remember exactly.

Also, Eichmann is way too easily pleased.

Hrm. Forts and static defenses, then? Will this allow mobile units to be sent westward while conscript units are busy building ditches, trenches, and laying concrete?

That's pretty well the case. The most obsolete artillery and tanks will be sent eastward as well.

I hadn't realized she was basically in Yokosuka when that happened.

That definitely explains a lot more of the American antipathy, as this excuse has become even more thinly veiled than OTL.

There are a few things at play here. Hyuga was long overdue for a refit. The Fusos served as the IJN's training ships, and all of the fast 14" and all 16" ships received a higher priority for reconstruction. Ise and Hyuga have been worked hard. An old ship, recently brought up to wartime readiness, coupled with the distraction of a visit from sea cadets, are conditions ripe for an accident.

Then there's the fact that as tensions in Europe escalated, the Yokosuka dockyards have been a hive of activity; people, trucks and railcars coming and going- excellent cover for a saboteur.

Is it paranoia if they're really out to get you?

Certainly, that would be a very convenient explanation for some, but anyone in Japan would tell you if they did it (and they didn't), they could have just blown up an obsolete coastal/ 2nd class destroyer for the same effect.

With all the bandit provocations, a false flag isn't even needed for a casus belli.

The biggest question will be whether there is enough time to train for this strategy shift... It's only Jan 1941, but if Russia is going to be invaded, it will be invaded soon.

It's a very bold strategy being proposed, and one that relies on making use of relatively few trained troops and masses of minimally-trained troops. In any case, the thrust from the East will be a distraction, but how will Stalin see it?

Hrm. This is familiar; OTL Eichmann opinion, general Nazi position, or something else. It's one of these things I feel I should know but don't remember exactly.

Also, Eichmann is way too easily pleased.

A bit of each of them, with a hint of Mein Kampf on top! Eichmann is the same modestly intelligent to unintelligent, but hardworking and ambitious ruthless climber as he is in OTL. He's also just as much of an anti-Semite.

One would be a fool to underestimate him, but his lack of experience may mean he overestimates himself. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Last edited:
The Jiangsu Candidate Part 2
They didn't call him "Big-Eared Du" for nothing...

13389.jpg

Nanking, Republic of China

January 11th, 1941

11:46 AM

BEHIND closed doors, Chiang and Du discussed the "pressing internal matters"

"Well, Du?" asked Chiang Kai-Shek "You seem pretty taken with this Eichmann"

"I like him" said Du. "I take it you don't?"

Chiang laughed "A secretary who thinks he's a general! Delightful. You've become far too easily impressed, Du."

It was Du's turn to laugh. "I said I liked him, not his plan. He has spirit; initiative. He's at least trying something different, and his lack of experience may work to advantage, he sees what we old dogs look over from starring over them for too long. I know as well as you do his plan is far too simplistic, and he has no idea what the Japanese are really like. Wait until the first time he hears about a banzai charge. That type of man, once you stroke his ego, is like clay in a sculptor's hand,"

Chiang nodded and replied. "It's not just his plan, Du. There's something profoundly distasteful about him as well, something that I can't quite put my finger on"

"He's a blunt instrument" replied Du. "It's clear that the Germans would not send us a great military mind, so they send us this stenographer who's ambitions exceed his intellect in the hopes that we will be fooled. His plan is to throw enough Chinese soldiers at Japanese machine guns that the Japanese run out of bullets. That's how a butcher thinks, not a general. Or even a secretary for that matter. "

Chiang's interest perked up "Then why did you just sit there, Du?" Why didn't you say something?"

"Because" said Du, matter-of-factly, "He does raise one very good point- what we're doing isn't working. I wanted to turn up the heat on Falkenhausen. We take the best of what each of them has to offer and we make something work."

Chiang shot Du a look, and Du chuckled.

"Chiang, how long have you known me? You know that one does not survive long in Shanghai without knowing a few tricks."

It was Chiang's turn to laugh, his mood abruptly flipping

"Du, you old gangster. There is a brain between those ears of yours. But, there is one thing I have to ask you about?"

"If it's about that road repair crews' strike, I assure you, it's being.... dealt with"

"Nothing like that, Du. It's...well... does the Opium Suppression Bureau really need that Ju-87 you bought? Are you sure it conveys the kind of message we're looking for?"

"Of course!" replied Du, as if he were asked to justify the purchase of rice or firewood. "Visibility, and let's face it, a bit of swagger is necessary to show just who's in charge with this sort of thing. I'll tell you one thing though- do you have any idea how hard it was to get one of those sirens for it?"

Last edited:
Letters from Manchukuo
I like writing better than I like Christmas shopping, so...
---
Prince Pujie and Lady Hiro Saga

Aisin-Gioro_P%C7%94ji%C3%A9_and_Lady_Hiro_Saga_1937_wedding_photo.jpg

Hsinking, Manchukuo

January 13th, 1941

9:42 PM

AISIN-Gioro Pujie, Puyi's younger brother and confidant sat at his desk, re-reading the letter that arrived in an unmarked brown paper envelope today. His wife, Lady Hiro Saga stood over his shoulder and read it with him.

"Dearest Brother,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and good spirits. I write with a heavy heart and a restless mind.

I have thought much about the situation we face. General Tojo- and you know I neither like nor trust him- informs me that the war is going badly. Even he cannot hide it despite his assurances. I worry not for myself alone, but also for the legacy I leave.

My wife, poor, addled Wanrong! How I hate her! Sometimes it brings me indescribable pleasure to see the suffering she is inflicted on herself, that unfaithful, mule-headed she-devil! Yet, I cannot help but feel pity at times for what she has become. Will I share the same fate? Is she a mirror, sent to show what I will become?

The dynasty will die with me. I will have everything ripped away from me once again, and once again, I will live as a caged monkey, trotted out for the amusement of my masters and those who they wish to impress.

I cannot bear the thought of it happening again. To lose everything once more. Better I should take my life, and at least make a point that I may leave this world as I choose.

Pujie, I hope I am wrong, so I look to your counsel. Tell your weary brother that he is wrong if he is wrong, but if he is right, I implore you to do what it is you do, and be the one and only person who has ever been entirely honest with me.

I do not know how you can, but... Help me, Pujie. I am not sure how you can, but if anyone can, it is you.

Puyi"

"Dearest" said Pujie "Look at the state of him. He is worse even than last time.

"I know that he is of such... sensitive temperament" replied Lady Saga "But I have never seen him in such a prolonged depressive state. Those... dalliances with those pageboys... perhaps he has contracted some sort of..."

Pujie's brow furrowed. "It is possible. But this, I believe, is a disease of the soul, not of the body. There must be something we can do to help him. I cannot watch him die, nor live as a ghost."

"Nor I" replied Lady Saga.

"Surely" said Pujie "You know of someone who could help him in some way?"

As a relative of Emperor Hirohito, Lady Saga was powerfully connected, and well regarded enough that she could afford to call in a few favours, if necessary.

"I do" said Lady Saga, after a few moments of contemplation. "There is one man in particular who I think may be able to help us, and, more pressingly, Puyi"

"Doctor Sugimori? He's one of the finest psychiatrists in Japan... but I thought the Navy recalled him from his private practice?" said Pujie excitedly.

"No" said Lady Saga. "Baron Nobuyoshi Muto."If your brother will listen to anyone, it will be him"

Meet the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss?
I promise everybody that after this update, we will have a little less exposition, and a lot more explosions.
---

Generals Shunroku Hata (L) and Count Hisaichi Terauchi (R). They're pretty big players in the TTL IJA, and I realized I hadn't shown a picture. Note campaign ribbons do not correspond to TTL campaigns; I'm not good with Photoshop.

1938_terauchi_hisaichi.jpg

Marshal-General Baron Nobuyoshi Muto:
249px-Nobuyoshi_Muto.jpg

Hsinking, Manchukuo

January 21st, 1941

7:10 AM

GENERALS Hideki Tojo and Hajime Sugiyama stood on the tarmac on a cold winter morning, their collars turned up against the cold. They were awaiting the arrival of Baron Nobuyoshi Muto, the Japanese ambassador to Manchukuo and Tojo's predecessor as commander of the Kwantung Army. Even at 72 years old, he remained sound of mind and body. Widely respected in military and civilian circles, he also held the coveted rank of Marshal-General, the most senior rank possible in the Imperial Japanese Army.

The cold was absolutely biting this morning, making the wait seem even longer

"It could be worse" said Sugiayma. "Did I tell you what was in yesterday's army news bulletin? You wouldn't want to be in Ushiroku's boots today."

"Why is that?" inquired Tojo

"The Imperial Conduct Order. General Ushiroku of the Central China Area Army found out that the Colonel of one of his regiments, Isamu Cho, turned a blind eye to some of his men raping villagers. Two of them were even caught with opium."

Tojo's expression become deathly serious.

"Naturally" continued Sugiyama "Ushiroku was furious when he found out. He had the kempeitai on the regiment like a swarm of wasps. They found thirteen privates, two corporals and a sergeant responsible. They were strung up in the middle of the village, with the villagers and the rest of the regiment watching. Every officer in the regiment was either broken in rank or dismissed entirely, and the men scattered to other regiments. Then, after making him watch, they strung Cho up too. Ushiroku called him a stain on the Army, and his family's honour."

"We're this short of men, and they can afford to do that?" Tojo thought out loud. "I agree with the sentence, though. You must cut rot out, and enforce standards consistently. Those warlord armies would never enforce discipline like that. Cho was no damn good anyway; a hothead. I even knew about that here."

At last, the plane landed. The steps were brought up, and five men deplaned.

Hata was the first, and he introduced the rest of the men. He and three others wore the new ichi-shiki (Type 1) Army uniform, their fur overcollars turned up and their high forage caps atop their heads. The fourth man was a short, rotund figure in a double-breasted civilian overcoat and a grey ushanka.

"General Tojo! General Sugiyama! Good morning. It is my pleasure to introduce Marshal Baron Muto, although I am aware you are already familiar. Today, we are accompanied by two members of my staff, Lieutenant Colonel Baron Nishi, an expert in cavalry tactics, and Captain Wakasugi, Prince Mikasa. We are also accompanied by Doctor Sato of Unit 731 in Harbin, who will share with us some of the scientific research he is engaged in"

Prince Mikasa was none other than Takahito, the Emperor's youngest brother, only twenty-five years old.

Tojo and Sugiyama shook hands with the men, and as they did, Tojo could not help but feel a slight pang of self consciousness.. Baron Muto, in particular, cast an impressive sight. He wore the Marshal's version of the new uniform, as denoted by the ermine overcollar (the other officers wore overcollars of wolf fur) and decorated sword grip exclusive to his rank. Tojo's worn senbou cap and the frayed spot on his coat felt immediately obvious to him.

Today was set to be a busy day. They would first meet with Prince Regent Pujie, who would sign a Defence Authorization Act in their presence, a compromise brokered by the Prince Regent, Prime Minister Zhang and Ambassador Muto. Thereafter, they would review the Manchukuo Imperial Army.

They piled into warm and waiting staff cars, and the motorcade split up- Sugiyama, Nishi and Wakasugi headed towards the Kwantung Army HQ, while Muto, Hata, Tojo and Sato carried on to the Salt Tax Palace.

---

Salt Tax Palace

Hsinking, Manchukuo

January 21st, 1941

9:00 AM

PRINCE Regent Pujie stood still in the entrance as his wife, Lady Hiro Saga, straightened his tie. He wore a conservative morning suit, attire appropriate for such an important meeting. Lady Saga wore an elegant Western style dress.

Prime Minister Zhang waited in the office, preparing some additional papers.

Pujie had been Prince Regent for only three days, but he was already easing into the role. In an elegant compromise brokered by Baron Muto, Puyi agreed to temporarily abdicate for health reasons, and went with Wanrong to a sanatorium in Macau. His last act was to appoint Pujie as his Regent. Today was a big day, as Ambassador Muto had also helped broker a compromise for the Defence Authorization Act that Puyi had refused to sign.

The Salt Tax Palace was also a hive of activity. It was fumigated for the infestation of insects that Puyi and Wanrong had caused, and the damage they had caused to the Palace was being repaired as well. To the staff's delight, Pujie's first act as Prince Regent was to ban corporal punishment for the Palace staff, and henceforth, nobody would be "taken downstairs" ever again.

"You look very handsome" said a smiling Lady Saga. "I have nothing but confidence in you"

"It is you who made this all possible" replied a smiling Pujie.

At that moment, the cars pulled up.

A butler opened the door, as Muto and the rest of the entourage entered. The Prince Regent and Princess Consort bowed.

"Your Imperial Highnesses" said Muto "I thank you for your hospitality. It is my great pleasure to introduce General Shunroku Hata, Inspector General of Military Training of the Imperial Japanese Army, General Hideki Tojo, Commanding Officer of the Kwantung Army, and Doctor Sato, Deputy Research Director at Unit 731 in Harbin"

"Welcome" said Lady Saga. "Allow us to take your coats. If you would like some refreshments or require anything, do not hesitate to ask. I am sure you have much to discuss, so I will take up no more of your time"

As they walked towards the Prince Regent's office, a repairman caught Tojo's eye. He was buffing out a scrape in the floor, in the exact spot that the ashtray Wanrong threw at him landed. The repairman, presumably a veteran, stood up and saluted as the entourage passed, and the officers acknowledged. Tojo could not be more surprised at the difference in the receptions now and two weeks ago.

The five men joined Prime Minister Zhang in the Emperor's office, around a meeting table that had been set up. The Prince Regent opened the meeting.

"The first order of business today, as the Prime Minister and Ambassador have been briefed on, is the Act renaming the city of Mukden to Shenyang. This will be done to emphasize the inter-racial cooperation that is the hallmark of Manchukuo and to put into the past certain unfortunate associations with the old name. Mr. Prime Minister, please sign here, and when the meeting concludes, please see to it that the Post Office and South Manchukuo Railway are made aware of this change."

Zhang and Muto signed it, while Tojo looked on, duly impressed with the new Prince Regent.

"Now" continued Pujie "To attend to the matter that brings you gentlemen here today, the amended Defence Authorization Act. I have been briefed on it, and given my input. As drafted by Ambassador Muto, it will allow the Imperial Japanese Army to commandeer certain units of the Manchukuo Imperial Army. Volunteer units may be deployed outside the current borders of Manchukuo, while conscripts must remain in Manchukuo unless they volunteer for extraterritorial service. It will also allow the formation of additional volunteer units, to be funded and equipped by the Imperial Japanese Army. This, I believe, is a fair compromise, which balances the rights of the citizens of Manchukuo with defence requirements. General Tojo, do you have any additional input, before signing commences?"

Hata looked on and nodded with approval, clearly impressed. Tojo was visibly surprised by the difference.

"None, Your Imperial Highness. I am duly impressed with your great effort to make such an Act possible."

"Very well then" said Prince Regent Pujie "We will begin"

The Prince Regent signed it, followed by the Prime Minister, and the Ambassador, Hata and Tojo signed as witnesses.

Tojo, although he was pleased with the additional powers, realized the damage that this would do to his reputation. He was unable to get Emperor Puyi to consent to such an act, and it required Muto, who outranked him as a soldier and a diplomat to do it. His victory in Manchukuo would have to be a great one if he was ever to get a political appointment or a Marshal's badge.

After signing was completed, Dr. Sato began his presentation. The short, rotund man, with his coat and hat removed revealed a shiny bald head, a well-fitted grey double-breasted suit. He brought with him a large valise.

"Your Imperial Highness" he began. "It is my great pleasure to present the great discovery I and Unit 731 have made to you and the Army staff today. It is also my humble request, that you provide me with some subjects and a control group for further research" said Sato.

"Before I agree" said Pujie "I will have to see the nature of your research"

"Yes, yes, of course" said Sato, with great excitement, as he opened the valise.

"My name is Doctor Akira Sato, and I am the only Japanese man who holds dual doctorate degrees in chemical engineering and podiatry!" He pulled a vial containing a greenish liquid, another with a bluish-white powder and a pair of insoles from the valise. "Now, gentlemen! How does an Army march? Why, on its feet, of course! That is why I have developed the 'Sato System'; a method of protecting soldiers' feet in an economical and practical manner which utilizes existing footwear! This liquid you see here is a waterproof sealant which maintains an excellent bond with rubber, and natural or synthetic leather. The insoles you see here are a high-density foam rubber compound which reduce fatigue on the feet and are quick-drying and odour resistant. The powder, and this is my proudest discovery- it destroys odour and bacteria, yet is completely non-toxic to humans! Why, it is safe enough to eat! If you would like a-"

"That..." said Pujie, trying to suppress a laugh "will not be necessary, Doctor Sato. How have the efforts to increase production of the BCG-type tuberculosis vaccine progressed?

"They have encountered delays, but are now progressing well" said a slightly annoyed Sato, eager to change the subject back to his discovery.

In the end, the boot sealant was approved, the powder rejected, and the insoles green-lighted for further research using non-strategic materials only.

The presentation concluded, the Prince Regent and his entourage departed the Palace for the Kwantung Army Headquarters, where a parade took place and Pujie took the salute from the Manchukuo Imperial Army, followed by a detailed inspection.

The day was punctuated by more good news from Hata- the Navy, having phased out the Type 95 25mm Anti-Aircraft Gun as it adopted the Type 99 and began trialing the Bofors gun, transferred the older, surplus pieces to the Army, presumably by the edict of one of the many efforts to reduce inter-service rivalry. French expatriate engineers from Hotchkiss and Schneider et Cie. were employed to develop a faster-traversing mount. The Kwantung Army would share first priority for the pieces with Count Terauchi's Northern China Area Army.

Although much work remained to be done, it appeared that Manchukuo's fortunes were improving.

Last edited:
Unit 731 is specializing in footwear?!

As far as Deputy Director Double Doctor Sato is concerned, yes, but officially, its most important contributions are tuberculosis vaccine and water purification tablets.

Our pioneering podiatrist is also likely seeking employment and a generous research grant from one of the Zaibatsu. That requires finding something with commercial viability as well, so he can sell himself as a success as well as a patriot.

Granted, the IJA might also be hoping for some private funding and thus allowing a certain amount of research with more commercial than strictly military value...

Last edited:
A Mighty Wind a Blowin'
Excerpts from "By so Many, to So Few: The Story of the Battle of Britain" J-F Brault, Random House Canada, 1957

Plate 3: HMS
Malaya prior to setting sail to shell submarine pens under construction

03_hms_malaya.jpg

THE final phase of "Operation Cricket" (Unternahmen Grille) was to be "Action Typhoon" (Aktion Taifun) a coordinated strike against merchant shipping, Britain's lifeblood. This third phase relied on the preconditions that air superiority if not outright supremacy had been established, and that Britain's ability to replace aircraft was severely damaged, and the weary population already demoralized. This phase was also to involve increased participation from the Kriegsmarine, who would construct fortified submarine pens on the French coast to strike at the Atlantic convoys in conjunction with surface raiders.

This phase was delayed considerably, owing to the conquest of France commencing late and taking longer than expected, on top of the delays encountered in Operations "Lightning" and "Thunder". It commenced on January 6th, 1941, and while war in the Atlantic continued, the order for "indefinite postponement" came on March 24th, 1941.

It should not have been any surprise to Göring, who had taken direct control in January, that none of these preconditions had been met. The Royal Air Force was not only shooting down German aircraft faster than the Germans could replace them, but Britain and her allies were also replacing planes far faster than they were shot down, due in no small part to Lord Beaverbrook's ambitious construction and repair program. Not only were aircraft, the vaunted Spitfire among them, being produced in British factories, they were being shipped across the Atlantic from massive Canadian factories. This also meant that the Ju-88 and Fw-200 shipping strike aircraft, which would have to operate outside the range of fighter cover, were extremely vulnerable to RAF and FAA fighters, which inflicted catastrophic losses on the shipping strike forces. Morale remained high in Britain, and the award of the Order of the Precious Crown by Hirohito to Queen Elizabeth increased pro-Japan sentiment amongst Britons.

From the naval side, the situation for the Germans went from bad to worse. It was no surprise that Britain had plenty of battleships, enough that some could be spared for missions that would previously have been dismissed as too risky or too unimportant to merit the presence of a battleship.

When aerial reconnaissance revealed the construction of submarine pens on the French coast, the Royal Navy dispatched the Queen Elizabeth and remaining Revenge class battleships, with considerable air cover and both close and distant anti-submarine screens, to demolish them with their 15" guns, which they did.

This had the effect of forcing U-Boats to sail from Germany, having to sail between Allied Norway and occupied continental Europe. Many were lost before they even entered the Atlantic. This routing also meant longer sailing times, and patrols had to be shortened because of this factor.

Once in the Atlantic, U-boats' woes did not end. The surface raiding force remained bottled up in the Baltic. Since the 1939 incident in which the fleet carrier HMS Furious was torpedoed by a submarine and subsequently grounded and was written off as a total constructive loss, the Royal Navy adjusted their tactics, employing IJN doctrines as well. Thereafter, carriers were closely screened and only older, smaller carriers were employed in the ASW role until the Colossus class light carriers, designed specifically for this role were completed. Even old carriers like Eagle, Argus and Hermes could create untold misery for a submarine, especially when caught on the surface where they spent most of their time.

Germany also employed merchant raiders- merchant ships with hidden guns, and cosmetic changes to disguise their identities, as well as false flags. They were also used to clandestinely resupply U-Boats, a task at which they excelled.The most notorious of these raiders was Pinguin, estimated to have sank hundreds of thousands of tons of Allied shipping.

Pinguin
's luck came to an end on April 28th, 1941. In this instance, she sailed a close pass by the battlecruiser HMS Hood just off Hong Kong while disguised as the Union-Castle liner Coombe Castle. Pinguin was on a mission to lay mines to attempt to disrupt British shipping. Owing to Pinguin intercepting a coded message intended for disinformation regarding Hood's position, she sailed far too close to the battlecruiser. A petty officer on the bridge had sailed on the real Coombe Castle prior to the war and seeing through the deception, reported it to the officers on the bridge. Hood fired a spread of her new 24" oxygen torpedoes at Pinguin, and one of them struck Pinguin, setting off her mines and causing Pinguin to sink with all hands. Despite this success, Hood's torpedo tubes were removed shortly afterwards, owing to how dangerous they could be to Hood herself and the space required for the launchers and reloads. They were replaced with octuple "Chicago Piano" 2pdr "Pom-Pom" mounts.

The lack of success of Operation Cricket had sweeping effects within the Wehrmacht. It severely damaged Hermann Göring and Großadmiral Erich Raeder's prestige, and directly precipitated the former's fall from favour. Forces began to be withdrawn eastwards for the Reich's next big plan.

The word of the day was Barbarossa.

Last edited:
When aerial reconnaissance revealed the construction of submarine pens on the French coast, the Royal Navy dispatched the Queen Elizabeth and remaining Revenge class battleships, with considerable air cover and both close and distant anti-submarine screens, to demolish them with their 15" guns, which they did.

Ouch. This really limits the Nazi sub capabilities to a greater degree than OTL. I also like the inversion of the Q ships with Germany's merchant cruisers like the Pinguin.

So Göring is losing favor fast and Himmler is seen as a bit odd/occult crazy. Himmler also does not have many friends/allies outside the SS and not having the vast Waffen-SS at his disposal and the vast resources leading the Holocaust gave him means he isn’t in a position of great power... yet.

Who is heir apparent in TTL’s Third Reich? Hess? If I’m remembering correctly when Hitler named Göring his heir when WW2 started wasn’t Hess the 2nd in line to succeed?

So Göring is losing favor fast and Himmler is seen as a bit odd/occult crazy. Himmler also does not have many friends/allies outside the SS and not having the vast Waffen-SS at his disposal and the vast resources leading the Holocaust gave him means he isn’t in a position of great power... yet.

Who is heir apparent in TTL’s Third Reich? Hess? If I’m remembering correctly when Hitler named Göring his heir when WW2 started wasn’t Hess the 2nd in line to succeed?

A very good question!

Since Norway failed for the Reich TTL, the Kreigsmarine and Luftwaffe are in hotter water than OTL. One screwup is an accident, two is a pattern. On top of it all, everything is behind schedule, and Halder is complaining. Hitler is more distrustful of the Wehrmacht as a whole earlier and insists on more direct control.

As of now, Göring is still the heir apparent, if not the golden prince he once was. If everybody gets one screwup, this (blowing the Battle of Britain and losing about +10-15% more aircraft, primarily medium bombers, over OTL) is Göring's and he'll have to redeem himself. He's still a big presence within the party. If anything, Göring's infallibility myth is broken, but there's nobody else who ticks off as many boxes. This may not be the beginning of the end, but it appears to be the end of the beginning.

Hess has not yet made his flight of fantasy, so he remains Deputy Führer; that also tamps down Bormann's presence.

Göbbels is a cog in the machine, his value is not as a leader.

Himmer, as in OTL, remains Treue Heinrich, but he is a creepy weirdo with few allies outside the SS.

For now, the crown is Göring's to lose.

Last edited:
Probably still up in air, Hitler kinda vacilitated because announcing his heir meant that a rival to him would be made public.

Probably still up in air, Hitler kinda vacilitated because announcing his heir meant that a rival to him would be made public.

This is quite true. No Notler here- TTL Hitler still firmly believes in the principle of not letting anyone other than himself be indispensible, and having poorly defined, duplicated and overlapping responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.