The Strange Maps guy is going to publish an atlas

Thande

Donor
Check the Strange Maps blog. It's got 5 million hits, and now the bloke says he's going to compile an atlas of the strangest maps, published by Penguin.

:cool:

Highlander

Banned
He never did post the maps I sent him - his excuse was that he didn't like to post Alternate History maps.

O RLY?

Thande

Donor
He never did post the maps I sent him - his excuse was that he didn't like to post Alternate History maps.

O RLY?

Our AH maps may be a bit too in-depth for general consumption. Look at the levels of explanation he has to put into something as simple as an Axis victory for the web proles. ;)

Highlander

Banned
Our AH maps may be a bit too in-depth for general consumption. Look at the levels of explanation he has to put into something as simple as an Axis victory for the web proles. ;)

That's a very very good point. I'll need to keep that in mind when I send him one of mine.

Thande

Donor
That's a very very good point. I'll need to keep that in mind when I send him one of mine.

Basically the same reason why Turtledove and Stirling do things we mock. You need to tone down the hardcore for a general audience. Remember, to them the idea that (say) the CPs could have won WW1 is a startling new idea.

Highlander

Banned
Which makes me think maybe my stuff is a bit too much.

I was going through some of it, and found this. Think a never-unified Italy would go over peoples head?

Thande

Donor
Which makes me think maybe my stuff is a bit too much.

I was going through some of it, and found this. Think a never-unified Italy would go over peoples head?

I think that's too obscure for most people (unless they're Italian). Try doing a really good job of something that we would normally shrink at as unoriginal, like a CSA that wins the Civil War or something.

Thande

Donor
That's a good plan. I'm just curious how many of those he's going to get, though.

Well, then, make sure your style is the most professional of any he might get. Without biasing the map contest ;) you're one of our best mapmakers, and can probably beat any Turtledove-style thing that some Alternian bozo drops on his doorstep.

O RLY?

What did you send him?

AH maps are a strange by default. I could understand them not being included perfectly well. I wouldn't either

Check the Strange Maps blog. It's got 5 million hits, and now the bloke says he's going to compile an atlas of the strangest maps, published by Penguin.

:cool:

Maybe something for Ian to consider? :D

But then again, who would buy beside us :(

Thande

Donor
Well he say that he's going to make an Atlas of his map but that doesn't mean people will buy it :D (not all his map are particulary interesting)

That particulary cartoon was showed to me back in high school when we started to talk about WWI (even thought it's date from 1870)

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/imagen1-full.jpg

Are you sure, because there were very many cartoon maps of that type made throughout the 19th century, and you might have been shown one that was made closer to WW1.

Highlander

Banned
So here is what I was thinking of sending him.

What do you all think? Is it okay?

Untitled-2.png

Thande

Donor
So here is what I was thinking of sending him.

What do you all think? Is it okay?

Very nice!

I think to a more mainstream bloke like him, that's plenty AH enough for the punters' taste, and it looks nice, which is the main thing. He did the Finnish Nazi Victory one after all. (And if this one isn't strange enough, change all the state names to your alternative ones like Verrrgeennniallaaandslaavistaan or whatever and tell him it's in Estonian ;) ).