The Stars at Night: A Texas Timeline

iddt3

Donor
So exactly how bad is the disorder in Texas, because I would suspect that at a certain point the US is going to be drawn in if violence keeps spilling over the borders, especially in the north of Texas.

Finally I notice there is no mention of mighty Deutsche cowboys? Are the colonists that inward facing despite having a slice of the borderlands near San Antonio? What are the Men in the RRG and Free Texas doing in regards to the German rebels.

As long as Shiner Bock beer eventually comes to fruition, I'm happy... :D;)

So exactly how bad is the disorder in Texas, because I would suspect that at a certain point the US is going to be drawn in if violence keeps spilling over the borders, especially in the north of Texas.

That seems like the direction things are going.

Perhaps Mexico will become involved, as well.

Yeah, I can't see them tolerating an Indian entity for too long. Plus, that panhandle is cutting California and the Pacific territories (which are even bigger ITTL) from the mainland, and if it were to be regained, it'd be the perfect route for a transcontinental railway…

Yeah, I can't see them tolerating an Indian entity for too long. Plus, that panhandle is cutting California and the Pacific territories (which are even bigger ITTL) from the mainland, and if it were to be regained, it'd be the perfect route for a transcontinental railway…

it will dependon how badly the Comanche problem is affecting the USA. After all this would be a 'white' nation's territory they are seizing. And as for securing permission do theyget it from Houston or Camp Johnston?

Which reminds me, what kind of Governmt des Free Texas have?

Mexico has the misfortune of shring a border with the best organized state. If Mexico starts to threten Forrest and Lady King will not have a hard time getting their peers to cough up money for an army. After all the Anglo upper class has everything to lose in the event of a Mexican conquest.

That being said I expect Mexico will try it. After all would Washington care about a rebel government in another country?

it will dependon how badly the Comanche problem is affecting the USA. After all this would be a 'white' nation's territory they are seizing. And as for securing permission do theyget it from Houston or Camp Johnston?

Well, if Texas implodes, it won't be seizing territory, it will be "securing" it. :rolleyes:

Yep.
I'd need to know more about this US to know whether it is likely.

And how much value Texas is seen to have. Aside from the panhandle for a railroad what can the USA get from a wild mess of nationalistic Texians, crazy Germans, Frenchmen, and Confederate Loyalists? After all if conquered most of those people could become . . . voters.

What about Britain stepping in on behalf of the RRG?

And how much value Texas is seen to have. Aside from the panhandle for a railroad what can the USA get from a wild mess of nationalistic Texians, crazy Germans, Frenchmen, and Confederate Loyalists? After all if conquered most of those people could become . . . voters.

What about Britain stepping in on behalf of the RRG?

I figured the Panhandle was the only part the US would go for.

Again, I'd need to see how/what the British are doing to be able to tell.

Sic, I think it's time for another international update soon...

iddt3

Donor
Agreed! Personally, I don't think the British would get involved. If they completely blocked out the Confederates during the war, I doubt they'd help much with Texas.

Besides, it's right in America's back yard, I doubt London wants to stir up that hornets nest; If anyone intervenes it'll be the US.

Agreed! Personally, I don't think the British would get involved. If they completely blocked out the Confederates during the war, I doubt they'd help much with Texas.

Ah but unlike the Confederacy the RRG doesn't have slavery muddying the waters. In fact Southern Texas has a history at this point of hostility to the 'peculiar institution'. Also the RRG hardly borders the USA at all, and they would probably ask for less than the French did officially.

As to why, the RRG in addition to having exports could potentially help Britain project influence into Mexico or other regions of Texas. Less Royal Navy, more British merchants bearing gifts.

I am not even saying this is likely, just a possibility to explore.

Ah but unlike the Confederacy the RRG doesn't have slavery muddying the waters. In fact Southern Texas has a history at this point of hostility to the 'peculiar institution'. Also the RRG hardly borders the USA at all, and they would probably ask for less than the French did officially.

As to why, the RRG in addition to having exports could potentially help Britain project influence into Mexico or other regions of Texas. Less Royal Navy, more British merchants bearing gifts.

I am not even saying this is likely, just a possibility to explore.

Again, I'd have to see where Britain is at this point, because I'm not sure whether they would have anything to gain from interfering, or if they have bigger fish to fry elsewhere.

Less Royal Navy, more British merchants bearing gifts.

Well stopping British merchants from exploiting an opportunity at this point in time is ASB, we can be certain that there are a few British merchant in Corpus Christi selling gunpowder, firearms, cannon etc. probably right to the US and French delegation. The question is whether the Royal Navy is sniffing around the area. Remember at this point in OTL Britain was approaching the apex of her self regard and general jingoism phase. Remember Don Pacifico. If a British merchant gets roughed up and there is a General Election coming up the political temptation to intervene for purely domestic reasons will be nearly impossible to resist.

Well stopping British merchants from exploiting an opportunity at this point in time is ASB, we can be certain that there are a few British merchant in Corpus Christi selling gunpowder, firearms, cannon etc. probably right to the US and French delegation. The question is whether the Royal Navy is sniffing around the area. Remember at this point in OTL Britain was approaching the apex of her self regard and general jingoism phase. Remember Don Pacifico. If a British merchant gets roughed up and there is a General Election coming up the political temptation to intervene for purely domestic reasons will be nearly impossible to resist.

Yeah but...
The UK is not going to try to Blockade Washington DC to get one person's proper payment. :)

US-UK relations in the 1870s should be a tick warmer than IOTL, no Alabama claims right? In fact, when did (or has) Canada become its own country? And as long as we are dealing with UK relations and Canada, whither Alaska?

Also, the idea of multiple countries sitting in a coastal town, possibly waiting for payment. Does it remind anyone of the situation in IOTL Mexico in the 1860s (prior to the French putting Maximillian on the throne)?

Yeah but...
The UK is not going to try to Blockade Washington DC to get one person's proper payment. :)

US-UK relations in the 1870s should be a tick warmer than IOTL, no Alabama claims right? In fact, when did (or has) Canada become its own country? And as long as we are dealing with UK relations and Canada, whither Alaska?

Also, the idea of multiple countries sitting in a coastal town, possibly waiting for payment. Does it remind anyone of the situation in IOTL Mexico in the 1860s (prior to the French putting Maximillian on the throne)?

No they're not going to blockade Washington but if the political stars align Galvaston or Corpus Christi might get a visit. Remember this is the era that coined the term "gunboat diplomacy".

No they're not going to blockade Washington but if the political stars align Galvaston or Corpus Christi might get a visit. Remember this is the era that coined the term "gunboat diplomacy".

Exactly, and would the USA care enough about one part of Texas enough to make much of a fuss at this point? After all the British would probably not be even close to as invested as the French were, and the USA put up with them for decades.

What I see is the British coming to make money with an eye on expanding business in Mexico; and offering guns to help with the Bandito problem and maybe a small Royal Navy involvement against the Pirates to 'protect their interests.'

Even if it goes that far, will Washington condemn London for hunting down corsairs in the act of assisting a fledgling republic?

While people are asking for a Global update we still don't know how politics have shaped up in Texas. What kind of Regime is General Billot running, or the Committee of Public Safety, the Deutsche Colonial government, and was it ever sad who is President of the RRG?

This is a great and absolutely brilliant timeline so far. I cannot WAIT to read more. You've certainly got me hooked. Can't wait to see how the Warring States Period of Texas History resolves itself. Keep up the great work! :D

I just spent much of the last few hours reading this whole timeline. It is, without a doubt, the best one on AH. You really know how history flows, and that when it rains it pours.

I'm looking forward to both RRG expanding into Mexico, seeing what happens to the Spanish Caribbean, and where the trans-continental railway gets built? Does the route of the Union Pacific have to go further north around Texas. Does the comanche/freeman "state" threaten the railroad? Would that force the US to intervene?