The Stars at Night: A Texas Timeline

General Forrest just ends up in southern secessions wherever he goes.

I wonder what the West Texans think of this? Or world reaction anyway? Mexico may see an opportunity here.

I wonder if they have a flag picked out? What kind of government are they aiming for?

Nice job showing the less than black and white situation on the Ranches.

THE FLAGS OF TEXAS

The Warring States Period of Texian history saw much confusion on the battlefield - not just from the usual fog of war, but due to heraldry. For a time, every side was claiming to legitimately represent Texas (well, not the Comanche or the Germans, obviously). In order to alleviate this, other flags beyond the usual Lone Star were flown by various factions at various times. While the French-backed forces never wavered in their use of the old national flag - having the heaviest burden of proving their legitimacy - a variety of other banners were used. A few are sampled below.

FREE TEXAS

800px-Flag_of_Texas_281836E28093183929svg-1.jpg

The Burnet Flag. Designed by David Burnet as a provisional flag for the Republic of Texas in 1836. Historians speculate that Burnet ignored the project until the last minute, woke up hung over 15 minutes before the flag was due, and simply recolored the Bonnie Blue flag of West Florida, very possibly in crayon. David Burnet: Hog thief AND flag thief.

1836.png

The 1836. A simple design, reminding Texians of the revolution whose values they were upholding and the Constitution they were defending. At least, in theory. In reality, it's pretty fucking hard to notice a small '1836' in the middle of a smoky battlefield while people are getting their legs knocked off by canon, so the efficacy of this design was limited.

TEXAS-1.png

The Patriot Banner. "Shoot, what country are we fighting for agai-OHHHH. Whew, thank goodness for that flag."

goliad.png

The Goliad Flag. Settlers at Goliad were some of the earliest Texians who voted for independence, signing their very own declaration of independence. Inspired by the patriotism of the Goliad people and the admittedly awesome arm cutting itself off with a sword symbol, it was adopted by some in the Army. Conveniently left unsaid: Goliad surrendered and everyone was murdered by the Mexican Army.

independence.png

The Independence Flag. The snake represents Texas, and the hand is the French. Or, wait. The hand is Texas, the snake represents the constant struggle to keep independence. Or, no. Wait. The hand represents independence, or...

In the end, after Edwards Plateau, the West Texians mostly defaulted on the plain Lone Star, as there was less immediate contact and conflict with the East - at least, in the form of armed military clashes. Beyond that, the most common variants were the Patriot Banner and a Burnet/Lone Star hybrid, basically the Lone Star with a golden star rather than white.

RIO GRANDE

riogrande.png

The RRG's flag is based off the original Rio Grande flag from 1840. No one could quite agree on what the color of the lower bar had been, but in the end the TOTALLY ORIGINAL red-white-blue combination won out. The five stars represent the first Ranches that signed the Declaration of Independence - King, Forrest, Maverick, Pierce, and Snyder.

COMANCHE

comanches-1.png

The Comanche weren't really big flag users. They rather preferred war shields, which were more durable and which could be actively utilized in killing people. The ever-industrious John Rayner, whose ancestors came to know all too well that white people will roll right over you and put their flags all over your shit if you don't first, set out to change that. At the Sun Dance gathering, Rayner attempted to learn the native sign language that was used between tribes with different dialects. The sign for 'Shoshone' was a snakelike movement, and the sign for 'Comanche' was the reverse - a snake slithering backwards. With the snake motif in mind, Rayner designed this flag for the joint Comanche/Freedmen forces. At this point, it is not in wide use.

GERMANS

Many of the Germans who make up the population of the Deutsch colonies were revolutionaries who fled after the 1848 rebellions collapsed. Between that and the fact that many of the Germans in the colonies were from different German nations, the use of the pan-Germanic tricolor seemed more than appropriate. But how to give it that unique, Texian Deutsch feel? Hey, put a snake on it! No one's done that bef-aww, damn. Well, what animal represents the cunning and strong defenses of the Deutsch colonies, an animal that can survive in the rocky heights of the Hill Country, something that would strike terror into the heart of the colonies' opponents? Only the animal they called panzerschwein.

panzerschwein.png

FEAR THE ARMADILLO, HE'S NATURE'S TANK!

Love the commentary on the flags. Especially the whole snake in hand bit.

An arm severing itself . . . that is inspirational? I would love to see a Texian flag bearer being caught by the comanche and trying o explain this admiration for self maiming.

How much are the revolutionaries running things in the Hill Country. After all this is more agrarian than their old stomping grounds, and with so many small farmers ad business owners where is the great appeal to collective economics? now i could see them having fun in Rio Grande, but it seems more like Germanism will be the driving force in the hills.

Have they agreed on a name? Maybe named it honor of their mighty mascot?

FEAR THE ARMADILLO, HE'S NATURE'S TANK!

Love the commentary on the flags. Especially the whole snake in hand bit.

An arm severing itself . . . that is inspirational? I would love to see a Texian flag bearer being caught by the comanche and trying o explain this admiration for self maiming.

Well, that's the OTL Goliad flag.

You. You a very funny man :D And its nice that you were able to include a Burnet joke; I've missed him since his death :(

So Samuel Maverick has lived longer than OTL?

Another thing: it has long been a theory of mine that with an independent Texas, they can only really put down one minority. With both a large minority of blacks and Mexicans, only one can really be suppressed (the Indians are screwed no matter what). So if, lets say, the situation for blacks are alleviated, Mexicans would be put down even more.

Now I don't mean they'd be equal, but there wouldn't really be a lot of legal or social problems as you'd expect. Now I thought the Mexicans would get the brunt of things, with whites and blacks sharing a common language and religion in this case. But with the recent slave rebellion and the graying of matters it seems on the big southern plantations, maybe its the Mexicans who will be brought up in society.

My main point is, you can't put down both blacks and Mexicans; one will be suppressed, the others' condition will improve gradually, maybe towards near equality. Now granted this is just a theory of mine, and I could be 100% wrong, but I think we might see an earlier civil rights movements in Texas for at least some minority. :D

An interesting thought. It's kind of sad for humanity, though.

Ya, it is a pretty sad theory. Honestly when I thought of it, I was just thinking of Featherston's Confederacy, with the whites and hispanics allied against the blacks. With three minorities in this time period, it just makes sense that there has to be some kind of alliance, however grudgingly, between two of them. Still depressing though :(

Great updates Sic!

Digging the flags. I guess we officially have a secessionist movement in the Great Texan Civil War :eek: :cool:

I live near the King Ranch (in Corpus Christi, as a matter of fact) and hearing about Richard King is interesting.

I live near the King Ranch (in Corpus Christi, as a matter of fact) and hearing about Richard King is interesting.

My junior high had this system where students/teachers were divided into multi grade "ranches", for some reason. Each ranch was named after a famous large ranch in Texas; King, XIT, and YO. I was in King ranch. That chapter made me giddy with nostalgia. :D

I think it's mainly 'middle schools' that do it, which is odd because my school was a 'junior high' too.
Did your school have 'block' scheduling?

Yes. Although in my Senior Year of Highschool it switched back to normal scheduling. Which was really terrible, I wasn't able to complete German IV because of this.

Lamar and his faction (which some had begun to call Republicans) favored a hard line against Indians, Mexicans, and everyone else darker than a manilla envelope.

So I tell my friend (whose extremely tan) to check out this timeline. I get a txt after he sees this line, and it just says "Lamar is an asshole!!!!!!!!" hahahaha, I couldn't stop laughing! I think that's the first time someone has said that in a hundred and fifty years :D

Also, I just noticed that the kid who killed Seward is actually a real person. I feel stupid now :p So did they ever catch him? I mean, if they caught him in OTL, surely they'll catch him after he killed the President :eek:

So I tell my friend (whose extremely tan) to check out this timeline. I get a txt after he sees this line, and it just says "Lamar is an asshole!!!!!!!!" hahahaha, I couldn't stop laughing! I think that's the first time someone has said that in a hundred and fifty years :D

Also, I just noticed that the kid who killed Seward is actually a real person. I feel stupid now :p So did they ever catch him? I mean, if they caught him in OTL, surely they'll catch him after he killed the President :eek:

Haha, I loved that line too. Sic is the man!