Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we see Soviet support, at least verbally, for the "Freedom Loving (White) People of Alabama"

No, they'd be more likely to castigate both sides and point out how the Soviet Union doesn't (officially) have any issues with race. Anything else, even verbal support, for Alabama risks it being returned next time a Warsaw Pact nation steps out of line, and that's a can of worms they'd probably rather avoid, much less actually sailing ships full of easily recognizable weapons and supplies past dozens of USN ships to a fully occupied by the time they can organize the sailing, much less actually get there port. It's not exactly a mystery if the underground fragments of the KKK suddenly start using the AKM enmasse, you know?

Last edited:
Will Alabama merely be an American equivalent to South Africa, or is Wallace going to go full Juche here?

Wallace, unless Kennedy goes unexpectedly meek, is going to be Governor of Alabama for at best, another 48 hours to a week. I don't think it matters what his plans for foreign and domestic policy are, really. Even IF somehow the Federal government decided to shit all over Lincoln's legacy by allowing the state of rebellion in Alabama to persist longer then the couple of weeks at most it'd take to rally Heavy forces from Europe, expect Alabama's economy to utterly tank after the USN blockade, Wallace to be voted out next election, and the next government to seek peaceful reunion with the US.

Wallace, unless Kennedy goes unexpectedly meek, is going to be Governor of Alabama for at best, another 48 hours to a week. I don't think it matters what his plans for foreign and domestic policy are, really. Even IF somehow the Federal government decided to shit all over Lincoln's legacy by allowing the state of rebellion in Alabama to persist longer then the couple of weeks at most it'd take to rally Heavy forces from Europe, expect Alabama's economy to utterly tank after the USN blockade, Wallace to be voted out next election, and the next government to seek peaceful reunion with the US.
Good point. I also expect Wallace to hang for this kind of treason.

There is ZERO chance of this happening. The stand off was a political stunt/kabuki theater that was symbolic and to show voters that he did something, while not actually doing anything. George Wallace wasn't exactly an arch segregationist to begin with (segregationist yes, but not a fire eater and he abandoned segregation in the 70's and actively sought and got black support in 1982 election). He is also not a complete idiot and would not fire on federal troops with TV cameras rolling...

Last edited:
Ban
KENNEDY: Hmm.
GRAHAM: Sir, we need to figure something out, the support in Alabama for Wallace is increasing and if we don't do anything-
KENNEDY: I know Henry, but what can we do to show that we aren't acting like wimps to the UN? Given the troubles that are going on in 'Nam, we can't come up with anything that would end up that would end up with deaths on our hands, I want a peaceful America, not a bloody one.
CARROLL: Sir, I have an idea that just might work: Give them an taste of their own medicine.
KENNEDY: Explain?
CARROLL: Well, when you consider that they're gonna keep doing this until the blacks have gone, over the next few days whilst they're protesting, we transport every black person out of 'Bama and move them to places like New Orleans and Houston, afterwards we 'execute' Ms. Malone And Mr. Hood to make it appear that they have won. Afterwards we gently take away food stocks by 50%, and whenever Wallace shows up for meetings, force him to go through heavy checks for weapons, we also make sure that if anyone wants to leave or enter Alabama, they have to go through the insane sorts of actions that we did to discriminate the blacks, in about maybe a year or so they'll be begging for help and we would only give it to them if they fully agreed to stop the segregation of Alabama.
KENNEDY: Could be risky, but considering what we are dealing with at the moment, it's better to make it appear that the cat's won before we strike back, eh.
COLLECTIVE GROAN:

KENNEDY: Well, anyways, Carroll you have my full support, Graham, see if you can find areas for the African
Americans to live and prepare for transportation within the next few days. Good luck gentlemen, we may need it.

P.S The Carroll is Lieutenant General Joseph Carroll, the founding director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the first commander of the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI or OSI).

Geon

Donor
Two things - seriously - if Wallace should pull the sort of stunt the OP indicates yes he is going to be arrested for insurrection however that brings up two problems.

First- You now have the Alabamans royally ticked off at the federal government arresting their governor. The reaction is bound to be very violent indeed. Trying the insurrectionists out of state is only going to worsen the situation. And this will be noted and watched by other states in the deep south who will have similar sympathies.

Secondly-this going to reignite, big time, the issue of state rights versus federal rights. I could see any arrest and trial of a state governor going all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Wait. Resettling Southern blacks? You know that’s not just something you can do with a handful of Greyhound buses and some bellhops to move their shit, right? There were close to a million black folks in Alabama, according to the 1960 Census. Plus this has “unconstitutional” written all over it - I don’t think it passes muster under strict scrutiny according to the Korematsu decision, which, since it’s based on race, it would have to, even if the government is willing to fork over a bunch of money under eminent domain for hundreds of thousands of properties. For this to work, Kennedy pretty much has to declare war on Alabama in all but name and decide that either the country or a million Alabama blacks are in grave danger if he doesn’t resettle them.

It’s also a good way to make sure that the South flips to the GOP sooner than they did OTL - if a Democrat is laying siege to Alabama, they can forget the South trusting the Dems again for generations to come. It won’t be popular in the white-dominated areas of the northern states either, so Vietnam will be a silly side project compared to the rumblings domestically. Which the Soviets will have a field day with, of course.

He wasn’t, and he also wasn’t going to let Wallace and the klan push him around. Easier and less bloody to tear that bush up by the roots then ethnically cleanse a million people.
In my own personal opinion, I feel that this would make sense for Kennedy to not charge in with an army and end up making things worse, he would instead use the egotism of Wallace and the Klan to his advantage. The Klan and Wallace would think that because the blacks are gone from Alabama and the people they were blocking are 'dead', they naturally would celebrate which allows the government to focus on Vietnam, now the immediate problem has been solved for the time being.

Also just to clarify a few things:
  1. Kennedy is still going to die, he was in Texas, not Alabama.
  2. Johnson will continue to put the blockades up around Alabama, just to point this out, it wouldn't have just been Kennedy, Carroll and Graham in there, there would have definitely been the Vice President in the meeting as well.
  3. The biggest change in 'Nam, is that the soldiers of Alabama aren't being deployed... that's it.
  4. Don't ask how other countries will be affected, I'm focusing primarily on America for the moment.

In my own personal opinion, I feel that this would make sense for Kennedy to not charge in with an army and end up making things worse, he would instead use the egotism of Wallace and the Klan to his advantage. The Klan and Wallace would think that because the blacks are gone from Alabama and the people they were blocking are 'dead', they naturally would celebrate which allows the government to focus on Vietnam, now the immediate problem has been solved for the time being.

Also just to clarify a few things:
  1. Kennedy is still going to die, he was in Texas, not Alabama.
  2. Johnson will continue to put the blockades up around Alabama, just to point this out, it wouldn't have just been Kennedy, Carroll and Graham in there, there would have definitely been the Vice President in the meeting as well.
  3. The biggest change in 'Nam, is that the soldiers of Alabama aren't being deployed... that's it.
  4. Don't ask how other countries will be affected, I'm focusing primarily on America for the moment.

In the 19th century a precedence was set in this matter. It took four years and more American lives then any other war since to resolve but it was resolved. No succession. Vietnam is insignificant compared to Alabama deciding it doesn’t have to do what DC tells it to do again, and every last American would have been brought back to the states if need be to fight the secessionists. Fortunately, Alabama is also extremely easily solved, so Vietnam can still happen.

Last edited:

What is the legal basis for removing a million American citizens from their homes, presumably at gunpoint?

So as a response to white racists pulling guns on Federal troops John F. Kennedy goes Full Stalin, enacting the largest campaign of ethnic cleansing in America since the Trail of Tears, blatantly violating the constitution, blockading the state of Alabama and engineering an artificial famine, and then pretending (???) to execute two black college students for no apparent reason. Because he doesn't want to make things worse? This is the less worst option?

So as a response to white racists pulling guns on Federal troops John F. Kennedy goes Full Stalin, enacting the largest campaign of ethnic cleansing in America since the Trail of Tears, blatantly violating the constitution, blockading the state of Alabama and engineering an artificial famine, and then pretending (???) to execute two black college students for no apparent reason. Because he doesn't want to make things worse? This is the less worst option?

Honestly, I cannot imagine any reasonable response by Alabama that would justify not just arresting the governor and twenty to thirty off duty cops, particularly if he then goes to raise the battle flag of the AONV and actually declares succession. Certainly not this plan. To be honest, rework this into some sort of TL where the KKK tries to fight the federal government on the civil rights movement aka the troubles, it’d be at least reasonably plausible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.