The Spirit of Salamis- A Short Allied Victory in Crete TL

Wonder how holding on to Crete will affect the Greek Civil War--ITTL, with Greece actually holding on to Crete, the anti-Communists are going to have more credibility and support, methinks...

Wonder how postwar Greece develops...
The position of the communists in a potential civil war would be tricky, at the very least. As you noted the legal government will be vastly more credible then OTL, both for holding Crete and due to the lesser degree of influence of peoples compromised in the August 4 Regime. On top of that their position inside the resistance if far weaker then OTL and the legal will have a significant, if relatively small, army coming the liberation of Greece.

Regarding post-war in general, the TL will stop in 1945. In essence it is a WWII TL so it seem to be the logical endpoint. I do plan to give hints of the butterflies to come latter on in future updates, tough, and I will be happy to answer any question if I believe I can do so without spoiling any significant plot points :)

Hmm. Seems to me TTL EKKA is what the OTL AAA and the Tsigantes organization was intended to be, with the Venizelist left firmly part of it. Actually EDES should be only a branch of the main organization... well I suppose it becomes so in short order. This will have wide ranging consequences.

1. ELAS is deprived of the majority of its professional officers. Sarafis obviously. Mantakas is in Crete so serving in the free Greek army anyway. Neokosmos Grigoriadis was more a politician than a soldier by this point, a Venizelist one. Demetrios Mixos an air force officer who was military commander of the Peloponnesian ELAS. Socrates Demaratos a royalist who joined ELAS for lack of alternatives in Macedonia. Not least of all Euripides Bakirtzis who given his abilities is the one likely to be in overall command of EKKA forces in mainland Greece. They still get the outright communists like Makrides and Venetsanopoulos and any officers they can force into ELAS. But the latter are always likely to try switching sides to EKKA and EDES

2. In Macedonia ELAS did manage to alienate the Turkophone Pontian Greeks in OTL, who truth to tell were wary of it from the outset due to the Soviet role in 1919-22. In Eastern Macedonia under Antonios Fosteridis they fought a two front war against both the Bulgarians and ELAS. In central Macedonia without Bulgarians around after ELAS first failed to get Kyriakos Papadopoulos, the so called Kisa Bajak, on their side, then attacked and tried to assassinate him, it led to an alliance of the Pontians with the Germans against ELAS, much like Chetniks in Yugoslavia. But here the Pontians do have an alternative in EKKA and as a population they are overwhelmingly Venizelist (over 90% so in interwar elections). Which brings several thousand fighters that ended up collaborating with the Germans in OTL on the resistance camp. Similar dynamic in the Peloponnesus.
Yep, essentially in OTL one of the issues the Venizelists faced was that they didn't coalesce in one organisation quickly enough, giving an opening to the EAM. Here they the EKKA achieved a commanding position quickly enough to avoid that. Regarding EDES, organising and coordinating your resistance on the ground does demand some serious work, as it kinda hard to herd everybody toghether when you can't operate openly. It is not, by any means, only a Greek problem and while it usually end up happening it does take some time in many instances. Managing to get all the anti-communists organisations under the same umbrella will be one of Psarros top priority in the next few months.

I. ELAS will be significantly weaker then OTL, to say the least, and their capacity to bully other resistance groups will suffer accordingly. Nonetheless, they will still get not only the outright Communists but also some former Venizelists who haven't accepted the monarchy and/or, without having been turned to Marxism, have been greatly radicalised by the famine. Basically they're is a group of both officers and potential fighters who could end up under either the EKKA or ELAS. As stated in the update, the competition for them will be fierce.

II. Good point, overall you have allot of collaborationists of OTL who will end up making the right choice due to a far more credible legal Greek government who still has a presence in the national territory. You might have some particularly right-wing government, think the Metaxists type, who did not collaborate in OTL but who might ITTL due to the greater influence of the Venizelists but the first group will far outnumber the second.

Last edited:
K&G just got out their last video of WW2 Greek campaign on the battle of Crete:

A good perspective for the TL I think, along the other videos on the Greek campaign.

K&G just got out their last video of WW2 Greek campaign on the battle of Crete:

A good perspective for the TL I think, along the other videos on the Greek campaign.
Saw it this morning :)

Many peoples in the comments seem to have landed on the same POD I have too, which is good it shows it solid.

In other news I am reading and working on the ITTL version of Operation Battleaxe as we speak, alongside other writing projects of mine that have nothing to do with WWII. Depending on how one see things it either make me lacking focus, having an admirable variety of interests or something in between :p

I just noticed the mention of the Aegean campaign while reading again the update on the TTL Siege of Crete.
With Crete in Allies' hands, the strategic situation changes quite significantly in the Balkans I imagine.
With the Americans in, they can divert a more significant force of bombers and fighters to Crete, so I guess the bombing of Milos airbase isn't just an isolated event.
Is Ploesti in range of potentially Crete based bombers here ? I ask because I imagine that Churchill and Roosevelt would be hard pressed by Stalin to provide some relief to the Eastern front by launching air raids from Crete.
Plus, ITTL, Crete (especially if the Aegean islands are conquered) will be a good springboard for a Balkans campaign, a campaign that could become politically critical if Churchill push it to avoid postwar imposition of Soviet influence in the region. I believe he tried something like it IOTL but lacked the means. Perhaps holding onto Crete can change that here.

Else, I'm looking forward to read that update on Operation Battleaxe.

Lord Byron had something to say:

The mountains look on Marathon —
And Marathon looks on the sea;
And musing there an hour alone,
I dreamed that Greece might still be free;
For standing on the Persians’ grave,
I could not deem myself a slave.

A King sate on the rocky brow
Which looks o’er sea-born Salamis;
And ships, by thousands, lay below,
And men in nations; — all were his !
He counted them at break of day —
And, when the Sun set, where were they?

The writer may be taking the Holidays off. Guess we'll have to see what the New Year brings. I was enjoying the story, so I hope it will continue.

Sorry folks, I just saw that some had commented on the thread :p

Sorry for the inactivity as well :(

Part of it was good old RL, as things at work have grown echtic in the fall and I ended up having neither the time nor the energy to properly do the research I felt I needed to keep things going on the level of quality I needed to be satisfied with my own work. Another part of it was simply how massively complex WWII is, and how much research and writing it takes to deal with all the butterflies in even some details. I was laying the groundwork for the events on other fronts during the Siege of Crete but even after a descent amount of it I didn't felt quite yet quite close to put fingers to keyboard again so I decided to give myself some times to reflect on how best to approach it.

I do want to continue this, tough, and the fact it still gathers interest after month of activity only make me want to do it even more so here is what the plans are looking: one update dealing with the other front during the Siege of Crete on a VERY surface level, like one or two in-universe excerpts per front, no more. Then we are back to Greece and the Aegean and we will stay there until 1945 and the end of the TL, with little roundups of stuff happening elsewhere every now and then, with eventually a grand finale with an epilogue going a bit into the aftermath of the war in Greece and its neighbours to see the longer term butterflies a bit.

Mind you, things are still fairly busy IRL so I cant give dates but I do very much intend to write it all in due time :)

Yeah, let's go bomb Ploesti ^^
giphy.gif

Good to see the TL back on tracks.

I just noticed the mention of the Aegean campaign while reading again the update on the TTL Siege of Crete.
With Crete in Allies' hands, the strategic situation changes quite significantly in the Balkans I imagine.
With the Americans in, they can divert a more significant force of bombers and fighters to Crete, so I guess the bombing of Milos airbase isn't just an isolated event.
Is Ploesti in range of potentially Crete based bombers here ? I ask because I imagine that Churchill and Roosevelt would be hard pressed by Stalin to provide some relief to the Eastern front by launching air raids from Crete.
Plus, ITTL, Crete (especially if the Aegean islands are conquered) will be a good springboard for a Balkans campaign, a campaign that could become politically critical if Churchill push it to avoid postwar imposition of Soviet influence in the region. I believe he tried something like it IOTL but lacked the means. Perhaps holding onto Crete can change that here.

Else, I'm looking forward to read that update on Operation Battleaxe.

Sadly a full on Balkans Campaign is not in the card as the Americans will put their veto on it and Churchill simply can't go against that. Crete simply does not change the factors that lead them to shot the idea down in OTL, for that you'd need a POD far more massive then this one. At the very least you'd need a successfull Operation Compass and perhaps even a full on France Fight On scenario!

I'll keep my cards close to my vest regarding Ploeisti but, at the very least, Crete would be able to serve as an emergency airfield and the risk related to Tiddle Wave would be far lessened, making it accessible for the WAllies to invest far more ressources in it. At the end of the day the planes are precious but what matter are the crew members and, again in the less butterflies scenario, Crete would help allot in that regard.

The bombing of Milos was a framing operation for a landing there. That is a spoiler that I am willing to give since Milos is pretty much unavoidable as a first target. On one hand its just not prudent to try to push further then that when you still have an Axis base in Milos that can mess with the Allied's main instalations in Crete and any convoy sailing further North and on the other an Allied held Milos would be a good asset to project Allied air power further north. As a famous french statesman once said: every lock is that you close to your ennemies will therefore be open to you.

If the USAAF operates from Crete, what will the long term logistic and infrastructure impact look like? Think airfields, roads, port infrastructure on the south coast, maybe even some railroads. This is a place where 600mm railroads could be put to good use.

If the USAAF operates from Crete, what will the long term logistic and infrastructure impact look like? Think airfields, roads, port infrastructure on the south coast, maybe even some railroads. This is a place where 600mm railroads could be put to good use.
Definitely, altough the island is already bound to better off in many regards then in OTL. Instead of an Axis force of occupation trying to force the Cretans into submission with increasing brutality as the war whent by and a guerilla war fought against said occupation forces, with all the destruction coming with it, you have an Allied garrison building infrastructure to support itself and further air forces as well as being eager buyer of the island agricultural products. That is a pretty big improvement in my book and it will have positive effects down the line :)

Last edited:
When I wrote about changing the strategic situation in the Balkans, I wasn't referring to a possible landing and a campaign on the ground, which the Americans would indeed still veto, but the danger the oil fields at Ploesti are now in. Of all targets for strategic bombing by the RAF and later the USAF, Ploesti is probably the one with the best risk to reward ratio because it being damaged or crippled can significantly impact the capabilities of the Wehrmacht to wage war into the Soviet Union; with all pressure from Stalin on the Western Allies to relieve pressure from the Eastern Front, bombing Ploesti remains the most immediate and accesible target before the landings in Italy and Normandy.

May 1941-May 1942: The Wider War
Allied poster.png

The Allied Coalition Truly Took Shape During the Year Following the Battle of Crete

May 1941-May 1942: The Wider War

While latter events would ensure that much of the tensions between the two men would be covered up in their respective memoirs and recollections future archives' opening would sow just how close the working relationship between Wavell and Churchill came to the breaking point. On May 1, 1941 the Prime Minister was strongly considering replacing the CiC Middle-East, and was finding significant support in the War Cabinet for such a course of actions. The victory in Crete, of much importance for a wartime leader seemingly always thinking of the Balkans as a significantly more important theater then it truly was, bought Wavell much good will, however, and a reprieval that latter events made permanent.

Much disagreements nonetheless remained between the two men, however. Optimistic and eager to strike while the iron was hot, for as news of the victory in Crete were the toast of London the British capital could also celebrate progress in the Horn of Africa and the colapse of the pro-German regime of Rachid Ali in Irak, Churchill reiterated its demand for a quick offensive against Rommel and Lybia (Operation Battleaxe) launched simultaneously with the conquest of the Vichy held Levant (Operation Exporter). More cautious, Wavell would have instead prefered to see Exporter cancelled altogether and for Egypt to be reinforced by men once deployed in Crete and Irak, and perhaps even some who were currently fighting the Italians further south, before striking west. As Churchill was Prime Minister the debate was mainly settled in his favour but Wavell had gained enough credit through the failure of Mercury and Ares for him to gain some concessions nonetheless. Exporter was to go forward and Battleaxe would not wait until its completion but it would be delayed until General Cunningham could dispose of many of the men who fought in Crete in Irak.

Excerpt of The Prime Minister and the General: Winston Churchill, Archibald Wavell and the Fight Against the Axis.

While the preliminary operations had lead to mixed results, with both Allied and Germano-Italian attempts at taking key positions before the battle (Operation Brevity and Case Skorpion) both failing (1) Battleaxe's first phase did not turn that . While, by all account, a capable enough general of infantry Alan Cunningham proved to be unable to deal with the demands of a tank battle and showed himself utterly inferior to General Rommel in all respect, threatening to all but mentally collapse in the middle of the fight, forcing Wavell to replace him with one his younger protegée: General William Slim. Fortunately, Slim proved himself far more competent then Cunningham and, thanks to greater numbers in the ground and, especially, in the air, managed to salvage the situation (2). While Battleaxe was a costly victory for the British Eight Army it was a victory nonetheless. The short-lived Siege of Tobruk was lifted, Cyrenaica retaken and the Axis forces pushed back east. Thus the stage was set for Operation Crusader as, in spite of the pleas of both Erwin Rommel and of Mussolini's the German Dictator, obsessed, as always, by the newly openned Eastern Front, simply refused to take seriously the direness of the Axis' position in Lybia and the convoys supplying the Axis forces in Africa were mercilessly harassed by the Allied squadrons based in Malta (3), until it was no longer salvageable and sending the kind of reinforcements needed to save it, or at least sending them in time, was no longer possible. In many ways it was therefore an unavoidable turn of events when, a few days before Christmas 1941, Slim's troops Tripoli and, a few days later, managed to, in the words of Winston Churchill, ''Cleansing a whole continent from the stain of Fascism!'' (4).

Excerpt of A Short History of the 20th Century.

How the Armée d'Afrique (5) and the officers and officials of French North Africa would have reacted to the entry of Allied forces in Tripoli remain a hotly debated question among historians. On one hand General Maurice Noguès and most of his subordinates had remained loyal to Vichy through the better part of 18 months but, on the other, the existence of significant Allied sympathies, or at the very least Germanophobia, among their ranks was well attested. The answer to this particular historical enigma would never be know, however, for Hitler acted before it could come to pass. Once it has become clear that the situation in Lybia was unsalveagable Hitler, convinced that to see Allied armies at the Tunisian border would lead the french to turn cloack and seeking a way to salvage the situation in Africa Hitler ordered the execution of Case Anton, the occupation of the Vichy Zone and the preparations for a transfer of German troops to French North Africa.

This decision, like so many made by their Fuhrer, proved to be disastrous for Nazi Germany, however, for it cause precisely what it sought to prevent. Throughout the summer of 1940 many in the Maghreb had toyed with continuing the fight and it was only with the most profound difficulties, as well as under the promise that the empire was to remain free of German presence, that Pétain had been able to obtain their allegiance. The occupation of the Vichy Zone, which dealt a crippling blow to Pétain's pretension of protecting France, and evidently seeming to prelude a transfer of German troops to North Africa proved to be enough to break the ties of the colonies with the old Marshall. A few supporters of Vichy tried to put up a fight but they were soon overpowered and a Comité du Salut National (6) was established with Noguès as its président. Moreover, before he was captured by the German forces Admiral François Darlan, Minister of Navy, had found the time to order the Toulon Squadron to sail for North Africa, which it managed to do with only negligeable looses. Alongside the french ships and crews interned at London and Alexandria it would soon join the Allied forces. France had now three governments, the only one not at war with Germany being the weakest of the three, and resistance was growing on the mainland as Vichy's popularity was cratering...

Excerpt of The Dark Years: An History of France During the Second World War.

In many regards the looses taken by the Regia Marina during the Raid on Taranto and the failed landing, that was supposed to be the core part of Operation Ares, had been grievous blows from which it had never recovered. Nonetheless, as 1941 was drawing to a close the Regia Marina, inferior as it was to Cunningham's Meditterannean Squadron, was nonetheless still a threat. In a brilliant action, littleknown today due to its lack of strategic consequences due to other events, the Italian submarine Sirè and three manned torpedoes entered Alexandria's harbour undected. Despite facing a fleet on alert, as it was to depart soon thereafter, they nonetheless managed to disable one destroyer and the battleship Queen Elizabeth (7). The rejoicing in Rome proved to be of short duration, however, for Cunningham's other vessels nonetheless sailed as planned, heading west to intercept the mighty Italian convoy heading toward Tripoli to give the Axis forces in Africa the suplies they would have needed to hold off defeat for at least sometimes as Malta's squadrons were wrecking havoc on Rommel's supply lines.

A few Allied reconnaissance planes having been sent to properly disguise the fact that the information had been sent from Enigma, the stage was set for another conventional naval battle. The details of the Battle of the Gulf of Sidra have been abundantly described elsewhere. For our purposes it is sufficient to say that it ended as other conventional battles between the two fleet had. Tripoli fell and the Regia Marina ceased to be capable of contesting the Allied mastery of the old Mare Nostrum, especially after it had been reinforced by the still significant remnant of the once mighty Marine Nationale.

Excerpt of The Fall of the False Rome: The Last Years of Fascist Italy

As tensions in East Asia and the Pacific were rising apiece the attention of Imperial Headquarters began to turn to theaters who had been comparatively neglected in the last years, as their attention was most evidently turned toward Europe in the Middle-East. One of these territories was Burma, whom even those who had the most faith in the might of Fortress Singapore aknowledged was in danger due to the ever closer ties between Bankgok and Tokyo. To adress the situation and prepare the colony for war a favourite of Hastings Ismay, the British Chief of Staff, was sent: General Bernard Law Montgomery (8). Unimpressed by what he found upon his arrival in Rangoon, and even less so by a visit in Singapore to confer with General Percival, and receiving little ressources from London, he nonetheless sought to turn what he had in hand into as potent a military instrument as possible. Drilling his soldiers, organising his forces and having them build fortifications with almost manic energy he managed to annoy most of his subordinates, superiors and colleagues but also gained their respect, even if often only grudgingly.

General Montgomery was no miracle worker and thus, when the Japaneses came they were victorious, inflicting heavy casualties to the Allied forces in Burma and pushing them back many miles. The japanese victory was not decisive, however. Rangoon held and the assault on Yunnan and the Burma Road was stopped, ensuring that the Chinese forces would continue to receive the precious supplies coming accross the mountains. In latter year it was said that no greater victory had been won by the Viscount of Moulmein then having snatched defeat from the jaws of disaster!

Excerpt of The Lion of Burma: A Military Biography of Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery

In many regards the fate of North Africa was sealed by Hitler's obessession with the Eastern Front, for it deprived the Afrikakorps and its Italian allies from ressources they would have direly needed and ensured that Berlin would only understand and try to react to the crumbling of the Axis position in Lybia when it was too late. It is nonetheless to affirm, like some historians have done, that no reactions from the Wermacht was launched until Tripoli's fate was sealed, for one was attempted but it proved to be misguided. Ordered to send some of his U-boats through the Straits of Gibraltar to support the Italians in the Medditerannean Donitz executed himself, despite his misgivings. Through the bright lights of June and July 15 U-boats were lost in these waters, a level of looses preventing those who had made it to the Axis harbours of southern Western Europe to be of much weight against the Medditerannean Squadron. Their absence from the Atlantic would prove to be a great boon for the Allies, however...

Excerpt of Wolfpacks and Convoys: The Battle of the Atlantic

(1) In OTL Skorpion was a success. Here it failed due to higher morale among the Allied troops, lower morale among the Axis, some of the troops who were destroyed in Crete in OTL being there and a better Allied situation in the air.
(2) The butterflies are really starting to act up here, as the Siege of Crete takes significantly more from what the Axis had in Africa in OTL then what the Allied had. Moreover, Slim had been something of a protegé of Wavell throughout the war, hence why he ended in Burma. After Irak he could justify giving him a big operational command and he pretty much took the first occasion he had to do it in OTL, and in ITTL as well.
(3) Similarly, a descent chunk of the ressources used against Malta are either in Crete or were eaten up back during Battle of Crete itself.
(4) He said more or less the same thing upon the end of the Tunisian Campaign in OTL.
(5) Army of Africa
(6) Commitee of National Salvation
(7) In OTL the Raid on Alexandria was arguably the most stunning Italian victory of the war, as one submarine and three manned torpedoes made it into Alexandria's harbour and disabled two battleships for good. ITTL the Brits got a bit of luck as they were about to set sail when the raid was launched, somewhat in advance from OTL to disorganise them as to prevent whatever response against the passing of the convoy to Tripoli they could have mustered, and therefore on some degree of alert. It served as cushion of a kind, but its still wasn't the proudest day of the Navy...
(8) The impression I got from OTL is that Ismay had Montgomery in mind as the commander he wanted in North Africa for a rather long time, hence why he was more or less held in reserve commanding forces in Britain for such a long time. With Slim having things in hand, however, Ismay abandonned the notion ITTL. As he still saw Monty as one of the great hopes of the British Army he pushed for Burma for him when tensions with Japan were ratching up.

Author Notes: All fronts not mentionned here have kept their broad strokes from OTL.

Last edited:
One point I feel will be raised so I may as well adress it right away: why has the Eastern front not changed significantly and why has there been no German reaction until it was too late in North Africa when there was in OTL?

Basically, several factors are at play:

I. Basically the fall of in power of the Axis forces had been, from Berlin's standpoint, far more gradual then in OTL, when much of it has been smashed in one go at El-Alamein, as it essentially took two longer campaigns, Battleaxe and the Allied offensive against Tripolitania, to make it happen. Of course, loosing Cyrenaica was seen as regretable in the German capital but Rommel's original mission had been to keep Tripolitania in Axis hands, nothing more, and had done that and much more with far less forces then what he still had post-Battleaxe. As a result alarm bells only started to ring rather late in the grand scheme of things.

II. The German margin to transfer troops in Africa is simply smaller then in OTL. In OTL the french governor of Tunisia, Admiral Esteva, simply couldn't decide who to support and left his airfields open to German transfer of troops, which allowed to get the 2nd German Army of Von Arnim there before the Allies could liberate Tunisia. ITTL, though, the situation is far more clearcut with no Torch and the French Armée d'Afrique rallying the Allies with its commanders and from the get to, as a result Tunisia is closed to the Germans and they weren't able to react before sending troops via Tripolitiania was no longer feasible.

III. Without any big extra forces sent to Africa there was no reason for the Eastern Front to significantly change quite yet.

Last edited:
Didn't Slim run the Iraq campaign from India if memory serves? Will he be in theater to be put in command?
According to good old wiki he got in Basra on May 7, so close enough geographically to be put in command IMO.

EDIT: And his posting in Delhi was purely temporary at any rates, a mean for him to recover from his injuries. With Battleaxe delayed ods are he would have been back in the Mid-East theater in time IMO.

Last edited:
While I am an admirer of Uncle Bill, Slim was a 'mere' Brigade commander at the beginning of the war, commanding 10th Brigade of the 5th Indian army Division in East Africa where he was wounded in Late Jan 41.

In May 41 having more or less recovered he was made COS of the Forces in Iraq but was almost immediately given command of 10th Division (whose commander had fallen ill) where he performed very well and a year later was sent to Burma to sort out the mess there (After Rangoon had fallen)

I cannot see him being senior enough or experienced enough (and being an Indian Army officer would not have as many contacts and supporters etc) to take command of the Desert army in North Africa in early 41

Far more likely Richard O'Conner, the very aggressive ground commander during the earlier highly successful Operation Compass, who had wanted to push on all the way to Tripoli but was prevented from doing so by Churchill rightly or wrongly stopping the advance and sending all available forces to Greece etc, leads them to victory -He had already commanded Division and Corps sized forces and his career was temporarily paused when as an observer to Gen. Neames HQ was along with Neame captured during the initial advance of Rommel's Op Sonnenblume (he would later escape and command VIII Corps in Normandy and beyond)

ITTL with a weaker DAK and a stronger British Desert army its less likely O'Conner is captured and Wavell places O'Conner with his proven track record in command of any advance into Libya.

Just an observation.

Also nice update

While I am an admirer of Uncle Bill, Slim was a 'mere' Brigade commander at the beginning of the war, commanding 10th Brigade of the 5th Indian army Division in East Africa where he was wounded in Late Jan 41.

In May 41 having more or less recovered he was made COS of the Forces in Iraq but was almost immediately given command of 10th Division (whose commander had fallen ill) where he performed very well and a year later was sent to Burma to sort out the mess there (After Rangoon had fallen)

I cannot see him being senior enough or experienced enough (and being an Indian Army officer would not have as many contacts and supporters etc) to take command of the Desert army in North Africa in early 41

Far more likely Richard O'Conner, the very aggressive ground commander during the earlier highly successful Operation Compass, who had wanted to push on all the way to Tripoli but was prevented from doing so by Churchill rightly or wrongly stopping the advance and sending all available forces to Greece etc, leads them to victory -He had already commanded Division and Corps sized forces and his career was temporarily paused when as an observer to Gen. Neames HQ was along with Neame captured during the initial advance of Rommel's Op Sonnenblume (he would later escape and command VIII Corps in Normandy and beyond)

ITTL with a weaker DAK and a stronger British Desert army its less likely O'Conner is captured and Wavell places O'Conner with his proven track record in command of any advance into Libya.

Just an observation.

Also nice update
O'Connor was definitely one of the least well know solid generals of WWII but sadly he was captured in early April, about a month before the POD.

As for Slim I see your points but two points made me consider it plausible.

I. Both here and ITTL he owe much to Wavell handpicking him and, in any case, it isn't like Wavell has a ton of good options on the spur of the moment. O'Connor is in captivity, Platt is a possibility but Cunningham just imploded aniway... To some degree an outsider was probably a given and Slim had at least the advantage of having gained some familiarity with the Mid-East theater and Wavell.

II. While Slim's rise would be pretty impressive here I would argue it isn't completely out of the blue by WWII standards. Rommel was a division general in 40 and found himself a defacto army commander (he was calling the shots for all the Axis troops in Lybia), Monty was also a division commander in 1940 and made it to the equivalent of an army command by the end of 1941. Both were only one rank higher then Slim.

Slim himself had not held any other important command after Irak (which I'd argue is more or less equivalent to commanding an army corps) when he was named in Burma. Granted, on paper he was a corps commander but his degree of autonomy and the important of the commander was more like a full army command, and it essentially came with such a promotion down the line if he didn't mess up, so to speak.

The most impressive case was none other then Ike himself! The guy was a colonel in 1941 and he was appointed to head Torch in 1942 before being promoted to SACEUR in 1943. He had never commanded troops in active combat before Torch too!

Basically there definitely was a tendency for capable officers to be promoted far faster then they nornally would during WWII.

Thank you for the compliment :)

Last edited:
I've enjoyed this timeline. I think it's a great effort. Plausible in the early parts. I do suggest you have a second read before posting because the mistakes make it a hard slog. There are many, many times, for example, where you've written "tough" instead of "though". I appreciate English may not be your first language.