American history is, for a nation not yet three centuries old, a long, storied, and epic procession. It's many times the stuff of legend, the modern day reimagining of the myths of the Old World overlaid on the frontiers and wilderness of North America. With so many exciting events and influental or interesting people between 1776 and today, it becomes almost impossible for a timeline to encompass it all. I've done my best to include a lot, but I've also had to gloss over and skip around more than I'd like in writing A More Perfect Union: An Alternate History of the Land of the Free. This timeline is the story of a United States that never lost sight of the ideals of the Revolution. In the eyes of this America, all men (and women) are truly created equal, and the nation's existence has been nothing more than attempting to prove those beliefs to the rest of the world, or go down trying.

This is my place to expand upon this universe. In the great struggle between the Union and its enemies (be it the boisterous Mexicans, the rebellious South, the unstable French, or the perennial, tyrannical archnemesis in the shape of the British Empire), there was little time to plunge into the intricacies of this world, and no time at all to follow the lives of men and women who didn't directly move the country forward, however interesting they may have been in our timeline. Here, through Wikiboxes, graphics, art, videos, more than a few written blurbs, and really any other medium out there, I and anyone who wants to join me (provided you're familiar with the world of AMPU) will be delving into all that. I'll be answering questions like, "What was W. E. B. Du Bois up to in a truly equal United States?" And you can help, too! Want to write about Cathay Williams in the American Civil War? The time Abraham Lincoln waterboarded a would-be assassin for information? The culture of New Orleans? The history of the Great Manhattan Pickle? Go for it! There are just a few rules to abide by:
  • In general, don't go past where I am in writing the timeline. As I'm writing this, I'm entrenched in the Grand War of the late-1910s, early-1920s, so that means don't write about anything after that... unless you ask me and I okay it. Really, this is a case-by-case basis sort of thing. I've got a lot of twists and turns planned for this TL, so I'm not sure how well a lot of fan predictions would hold up (and also I want to be the one progressing the story).​
  • Threadmarked posts are officially canon in the world of A More Perfect Union. As a rule of thumb, most of my posts here will be threadmarked, and therefore canon, and most of them will consist of Wikiboxes or short written vignettes. However, any non-threadmarked post--including my own of that type--are non-canon. In general, if a post fits well within the world of AMPU, then it'll threadmark and canonize it. This is more of an insurance policy for me to maintain creative control over the timeline, but I probably won't enforce it too harshly.​
Hope you all have fun!

All Hail the United States, the Revolutionary Spirit, and F R E E D O M, L I B E R T Y A N D T H E P U R S U I T O F H A P P I N E S S

Obituary to Alexander Hamilton by @George Washington
Obituary to Alexander Hamilton, Founding Father, President, and Cultural Hero of the United States

He was a great symbol of the American dream, starting life as a poor immigrant and rising to be one of the greatest men in America
He loved his country and fought twice for its freedom against the tyrannical British
He gave a guide to America, through finishing Jefferson’s A Want of Liberty
He was a President, a war hero, a man for Freedom, and a Founding Father of the nation he loved
Alexander Hamilton was a true American

-Written by Henry Clay, US President

The Rock of Columbus: The Story of George Henry Thomas by TheRockofChickamauga
Excerpt from the article "George Henry Thomas" from the Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Civil War, co-authored by James M. McPherson, William C. Davis, and Edwin C. Bearss

"...Colonel Thomas, along with several other high-ranking military officers in the U.S. Army, including Major General Robert E. Lee, Brigadier General Joseph E. Johnston, Brigadier General Albert S. Johnston, Colonel P.G.T. Beauregard, and Colonel William J. Hardee, were recalled by President Roger Taney to the United States. All of these officers were of Southern origin, and Taney brought them back to the United States in fear of a rebellion of the Northern states that he predicted. Ultimately, however, it would be the Southern states of the United States that would engage in secession and rebellion, providing many of the recalled officers with a difficult choice to make. Some, like A.S. Johnston, Beauregard, and Hardee, would ultimately side with the CSA, while others, like Lee and J.E. Johnston, would ultimately side with the Union. Unlike some of his others comrades, Colonel Thomas would not have to go through the agony of deciding who to side with. He made clear that his sword would only be drawn for the Union, even if his home state of Virginia was to secede, which it ultimately did not thanks to the rapid actions of Major General John C. Fremont. He would be commissioned a brigadier general in the newly raised volunteer army. He would first bring himself fame, albiet briefly, for the small skirmish he engaged in on May 13, 1861, where he lead his 2,500 strong brigade into battle against 3,000 soldiers under Brigadier General Felix Zollicoffer at the Battle of Ghent, a small Kentucky town. Thomas would manage to earn a victory, with many accrediting it to the superior training of his soldiers. His victory would bring about his promotion to Major General in the volunteer army.

An 1861 Brady-Handy photograph of Thomas, depicting him shortly after his victory and promotion

Thomas would continue his service in the Western Theater, serving under General Grant in the role of a corps commander for the Army of the Ohio. From this posting, he would come to play a critical role in Longstreet's March to the Lake. Before the CSA invasion of Ohio, Thomas worried that it was coming, and reportedly told General Grant about their mutual friend James Longstreet, "Once his invasion is started, it will take the most immense amount of effort to repulse it. Longstreet has the grit of a bulldog on defense, and ferocity of a tiger on offense. In short, once his invasion starts, I fear the number of casualties that will be required to drive him back." Grant would heed Thomas' warning, and see to it that his troops were well trained, although he did not truly believe an invasion was likely in the near future. This hope was shattered with Longstreet's invasion and the the subsequent Battle of Hamilton, where despite immense efforts by Grant, Thomas, and their men, they were forced to retreat after a three-day battle. Thomas would continue to serve as a loyal lieutenant to Grant, distinguishing himself in the delaying actions that would allow the Army of the Ohio to retreat from the trap set for it at the Battle of Dayton, and even personally overseeing on occasion the skirmishes that the Army of the Ohio engaged in on their retreat north. It was during this time that Grant started to come to dislike Thomas, which many believed was sparked by a rumor that Lincoln was considering relieving Grant following the Battle of Dayton, and replacing him with Thomas. Grant, however, would keep this to himself for the rest of the campaign, recognizing his need for a capable subordinate. Eventually, the Union retreat would halt at Columbus, Ohio, where they would fortify the city, and prepare to bear the brunt of Longstreet's assaults. Thomas' men would hold the center of the line. In this role, Thomas would serve gallantly, repulsing every attack with his VII Corps, which would ultimately earn him his promotion to brigadier general in the regular army and the nickname of "The Rock of Columbus". In this, he was assisted by his division commanders Winfield S. Hancock-labeled by Thomas as "the superb"-, John A. Logan-an Illinois Federalist who Thomas had initially disliked due to his political origins, but had come to respect-, Alpheus Williams-a man who Thomas claimed had no superior as an officer-, and John MacArthur, who had been at Thomas' side since Ghent, and was generally considered his favorite subordinate.

Thomas personally overseeing combat of his troops during the Battle of Columbus, August 8, 1861

With the campaign having reached its climax, and the back of Longstreet's invasion having been broken, Grant was prepared to send Thomas out. He found the perfect opportunity for this in the upcoming campaign to invade Missouri and the eventual goal of the recapture to the Mississippi River. Although the command had already been given to General Meade-another corps commander of the Army of the Ohio-, Grant would oversee that Thomas and the VII Corps were transferred further west to aid in the operation. In theory, this was a promotion, as Thomas went from being third-in-command of the Army of the Ohio under Grant and Meade, to second in command of the Army of the Mississippi, but Thomas disliked leaving an unfinished operation. Orders were orders, however, and Thomas obeyed them. With the invasion of Missouri beginning, Thomas would rapidly find himself facing more fierce battles in the command tent rather than the battlefield, which were mostly just Missouri state militia and a few regular cavalry troops under CSA Major General Sterling Price's Army of Missouri. This stemmed from Thomas' fellow corps commanders: Major General Philip Sheridan of the X Corps, Major General Henry Slocum of the XII Corps, Major General General Gordon Granger of the XIV Corps, and Major General David Stanley of the Cavalry Corps. In these battles, Thomas would often play the role of the conciliator between Meade and his subordinates, causing Meade to refer to him as, "the most patient and humble man, let alone general, known to Union Army." These verbal battles would have little impact on the course of the campaign, however, with the Army of the Mississippi mopping up and ultimately forcing the surrender of the Army of the Missouri on November 10, 1861, and them setting up a provisional state government under Governor Benjamin G. Brown on November 16, 1861.

Thomas watching his XII Corps encircling the broken remnants of the Army of Missouri following the November 9 Battle of Wilton

With Missouri secured, the Army of the Mississippi was next sent to Kentucky to begin capturing the river that they derived their name from, with the invasion beginning on June 16, 1862. In this campaign, the Army of the Mississippi faced even less resistance than in the Missouri campaign, with no major battles being fought, and no army of any note being faced. Many of Kentucky's citizens had been hesitant to declare secession from the United States to begin with, and were in no mood to place their lives at stake for the government in Charleston. Thomas was even able to raise one of the Civil War's most iconic brigades while in Kentucky, the Orphan Brigade commanded by Kentucky Unionist Brigadier General Lovell Rousseau. The real challenge for the Army of the Mississippi would be in Tennessee. It was there that they fought their hardest battle. In the Siege of Memphis, the Army of the Mississippi would face a combined Anglo-Confederate force under General A.P. Hill, who was one of the few Virginians to side with the CSA. The siege would be one of maneuver, with Meade trying to surround and puncture a hole into Hill's defenses, while Hill launched probing attacks on Meade's lines to attempt a break out. The siege would ultimately come to an end, however, when a plan created by Meade, Thomas, and Chief of Artillery John M. Brannan. Brannan's artillery, supported by a division of troops under General Andrew J. Smith bombarded the Confederate defenses from President's Island, leading to Hill to move troops from Southeastern flank to prepare for the amphibious assault he was suspecting. The lines he weakened by this movement would prove to be the actual site of the Union attack, however. Thomas and the VII Corps would break through the weak line of defense, urging on his troops with the now famous lines, "Forward the men of Hazen's brigade! Seize the works Harker and Steedman! Do not halt for a moment Baird and Cruft!" Following this assault, and several other assaults by the other corps of the Army of the Mississippi, Hill's forces had been forced into Memphis' inner defenses, and were left vulnerable to close range bombardment. This would cause Hill to surrender his command on November 27, 1862. The Siege of Memphis was over, and the Army of the Mississippi's campaign to capture control of the Mississippi had just begun. Thomas would also receive his promotion to major general in the regular army for his role in the planning and execution of the battle.
9e8abfb46e89d7b1b7b8c466350f2cb7--civil-war-art-military-art.jpg

Thomas greeting fellow corps commander Gordon Granger inside Memphis works, with division commander Winfield S. Hancock watching the exchange

Thomas and his VII Corps would continue with the Army of the Mississippi down the Mississippi River. Thomas and his men did not take part in the Battle of Island Number 10, with the bulk of that fight being fought by Phil Sheridan and the X Corps and the Mississippi River Squadron under Rear Admiral Andrew H. Foote. Nonetheless, Thomas and his men would make up for this missed fight by fulfilling their bloody duty at Friar's Point, Gunnison, Rosedale, and Greenville. The culmination of their campaign would come with the Siege of Vicksburg, which was the last post on the Mississippi connecting the CSA east and west of it. If it were to fall, the CSA would be severed into two. Thus, the Army of the Mississippi settled in for another siege on April 18, 1863. Unlike Memphis, Vicksburg would not be won by a brilliant maneuver or action. It was won in seemingly the same way that the entire war was won for the Union--attrition. When the siege ended with Confederate morale giving out on June 23, 1863, it was praised throughout the Union, but for the men on the trench line, including Thomas, they were merely glad it was over.

A Union battery and sniper in the Siege of Vicksburg

The Siege of Vicksburg would be the last major action for the Army of the Mississippi. For the rest of the war, the Army of the Mississippi would put the down the little resistance that was left in Arkansas. They would continue this until the war's end in 1864. With this, the volunteer armies disbanded, although Thomas would maintain his rank of major general since it was with the regular army. Lee, to whom Thomas had always been a friend and favorite, would assign Thomas command of a military district encompassing Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. From this role, Thomas would ensure that the newly passed constitutional amendments were enforced, and was a vocal advocate for civil rights, having come to respect the African-Americans due to the ones who had served under him. Fulfilling his duty, Thomas would became one of the most effective officers in combating the racist hate groups that cropped up in the former CSA during Redemption. Ultimately, Thomas would die at his post on April 17, 1873 due to a sudden stroke, with his body being found by his loyal chief-of-staff Major William D. Whipple, his chief engineer Major James H. Wilson, and his adjutant general Captain John Mendenhall. The nation would mourn his loss, and his funeral was attended by President Grant, his cabinet, Lee, Meade, and many of Thomas' subordinates and soldiers from the American Civil War. In the modern day, Thomas is generally regarded as the best Union general never to hold independent command. He was known as a extraordinary subordinate who was, in words of General Lee "a genius at the council, immovable on defense, and unstoppable on offense.""

Last edited:
Loved the look into General Thomas, @TheRockofChickamauga! I wasn't as thorough as I would have liked to have been when I was covering the ACW, but it's wonderful to see people filling in some of the gaps!

so will bands like Kansas or Queen still exist? I'm pretty sure that the beatles won't though
Some of Britain's bands and celebrities from the 1970s and later will still become prominent, because by that point the country will be thoroughly devespasianified. I don't think all of them will, though, and it's likely that new bands will be formed consisting of members of OTL bands arranged in new ways. So you could see Freddie Mercury on stage with Pete Townshend and Roy Wood, for example.

I have some wacky plans for the Beatles, though. They are the single British cultural "thing" I'm salvaging from the 1950s/1960s, but even they will still be very different from OTL.

I have some wacky plans for the Beatles, though. They are the single British cultural "thing" I'm salvaging from the 1950s/1960s, but even they will still be very different from OTL.
yo are we gonna get british-american beatles

Ficboy

Banned
It made never made such for Virginia and Robert E. Lee to stay in the Union even in this timeline after all given that the Battle of Fort Marion (TTL's Battle of Fort Sumter) had already gotten every Upper South state to join the Confederacy alongside the Lower South it's likely the former two would have followed suit. Virginia and Robert E. Lee would end up as part of the Confederacy regardless of any Fort Sumter-esque event.

Nevertheless, the timeline is meticulously crafted and I credit the author HeX for doing such a good job with worldbuilding and a Hamilton presidency.

It made never made such for Virginia and Robert E. Lee to stay in the Union even in this timeline after all given that the Battle of Fort Marion (TTL's Battle of Fort Sumter) had already gotten every Upper South state to join the Confederacy alongside the Lower South it's likely the former two would have followed suit. Virginia and Robert E. Lee would end up as part of the Confederacy regardless of any Fort Sumter-esque event.
Virginia remained loyal because John C. Fremont ordered the arrest of all Democratic-Republican (pro-secession) lawmakers. Pretty hard to secede if those in support of secession are in jail.

Ficboy

Banned
Virginia remained loyal because John C. Fremont ordered the arrest of all Democratic-Republican (pro-secession) lawmakers. Pretty hard to secede if those in support of secession are in jail.
Well having the pro-secession lawmakers arrested by a Union general not to mention Virginia having a mostly plantation economy would only just get the state to secede and join the Confederacy.