The Soviet Union in 2021

Popular discontent occurs all the time in authoratarian regimes, yet authoratarian regimes continue to flourish. The Soviet regime in particular, have suppressed far -worse- discontent in the past.

They seem pretty resilient to me. They have tools of repressing popular discontent, and in the USSR those tools worked very well.

It wasn’t just”popular discontent”. Afghanistan combined with Chernobyl resulted in a near total loss of confidence in the competency of the Soviet system.

RousseauX

Donor
It wasn’t just”popular discontent”. Afghanistan combined with Chernobyl resulted in a near total loss of confidence in the competency of the Soviet system.
The mechanism by which a lack of confidence in a government translating into actual political outcomes is -through- discontent

Sorry for not catching that earlier. By "the region" I meant pretty much everything in the Middle East; Israel might have played a part, though I'd thought that American involvement in Saudi Arabia had more to do with it. Might be wrong, though.
Pro tip for future reference; Afghanistan is in Central and South Asia, not the Middle East. The Middle East is generally accepted to encompass everything under Turkey and between Egypt and Iran, including all three.

Pro tip for future reference; Afghanistan is in Central and South Asia, not the Middle East. The Middle East is generally accepted to encompass everything under Turkey and between Egypt and Iran, including all three.
...in the USA this is the generally accepted definition.

Pro tip for future reference: Turkey considers itself in Europe, the term "Middle East" is "generally considered discriminatory and Eurocentric" outside of the USA.

In short the Soviet Empire was not doomed to dissolve, but rather it was driven into the ground by a second coming of Nicholas 2nd.

The Soviet Empire would find itself with better energy prices post 90s (less than OTL because loss of former Soviet states lost productivity post collapse), thusly a healthier national budget.

The biggest determiner of success would be economic policy in the Empire.

If they followed Deng it may look something akin to China, but with export markets primarily geared towards those formerly Soviet aligned or tilted states. You would see a larger share of global arms sales coming from the Soviet Empire compared to OTL Russia. A concerted effort from Russian Administration turned Russian into one of the largest agricultural nations, I doubt an equal effort from the Politburo would not create an equal or better effect.