The South wins the Civil War then breaks apart

As pointed out by another thread South Carolina and other Southern states didn't get along internally. What if after the Civil war the Southern states themselves break apart? Northern Alabama secedes from Alabama, Jones County secedes from Mississippi and East Tennesee secedes from Tennesee and then things go really crazy. The average Southern state breaks into 6 pieces. So instead of 11 Confederate states (Missouri and Kentucky being under Union control means they weren't REALLY Confederate states. After all the US saying Argentina, for example, was a US state would not make it one. At least without winning a war to make it so.) you have 66 by 1867. All of them fighting each other. What happens next?

The North would use the opportunity to bring them back into the fold. And after they're fed up with fighting, they might actually like the idea.

Jasen777

Donor
I think it'd be more plausible for states to break away from the Confederacy than the states themselves breaking up, especially that much.

Over states rights? Or slavery (think Guns of the South with Forrest chosing to fight)? I'll buy that.

I think it'd be more plausible for states to break away from the Confederacy than the states themselves breaking up, especially that much.

Think of it as the Hillbillies vs the Planters. When the planters try to force the Hillbillies back in line some of the other counties break off as well not wanting to be used in a war against the Hillbillies. After all the same arguements used against the Federal Government could be used against state governments as well.

Jasen777

Donor
Think of it as the Hillbillies vs the Planters. When the planters try to force the Hillbillies back in line some of the other counties break off as well not wanting to be used in a war against the Hillbillies. After all the same arguements used against the Federal Government could be used against state governments as well.

They're likely to get U.S. protection or get squashed though. Some area tried that during the Civil War and proved they couldn't make a go of it without outside support.

They're likely to get U.S. protection or get squashed though. Some area tried that during the Civil War and proved they couldn't make a go of it without outside support.
Not unnecessarily. The swamps and mountains, land unfit for cannon and plantations, would be excellent areas for guerrilla warfare.

I would expect that the Texans might cause some trouble by nudging frantically towards Mexico while reloading. If the Confederacy got Oklahoma Territory, I can see Texas going after Greer County, and attack the Indians. They would also wish for All of Northern Mexico, including and this side of Sinoala, Durango, Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi. After dissolving, Houston takes control back in Western Texas, or very possibly all of it. There is a good possibility of either rejoining the Union, being disgusted by the Eastern Plantation owner's incompetence, arrogance, and possibly even being promised Greer County, generous federal funds for the rebuilding of the, well, fairly intact state. Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi would all be sulking over the loss of income from secession, due to tariffs and Northerners using the railroad for transportation. Speaking of which, varies areas of the South could be offered railroads and ports, along with occupation jobs on their neighbors.

Faeelin

Banned
Why would an independent Texas necessarily want to rejoin the USA? It has oil, cotton land, cattle....

Why would an independent Texas necessarily want to rejoin the USA? It has oil, cotton land, cattle....

The former Govenor was pro-Union. And the western portion had voted against secession. I don't know if oil had been found yet, but it might cause them to not need slavery as their chief source of income and such. If they didn't rejoin, they would likely become a British puppet, or face a possible invasion by the Republican Mexicans, or the French, and to a lesser extent Spanish and British, controlled Imperial Mexico. To either regain land, or to seize the oil. The Texans best bet for defense would be with the Union.

Virginia rejoins the Union, aswould Kentucky if it left ITTL. Tennessee rejoins the Union, as might Arkansas and Missouri if it goes. Louisiana and Texas each go their own way, and the rest remain part of a rump CSA, or some other confederation.

I wonder if the North would let the Southerners fight each other and let the South be weakened, Balkanized and too busy to bother the North?

Tennessee would almost certainly split, with the East going back to the Union. The East was (and is) solidly Unionist and Republican.

Faeelin

Banned
The former Govenor was pro-Union. And the western portion had voted against secession. I don't know if oil had been found yet, but it might cause them to not need slavery as their chief source of income and such. If they didn't rejoin, they would likely become a British puppet, or face a possible invasion by the Republican Mexicans, or the French, and to a lesser extent Spanish and British, controlled Imperial Mexico. To either regain land, or to seize the oil. The Texans best bet for defense would be with the Union.

Yes but the governor was one of the few people who did support the union, outside of the West as you note.

Why would Texas bvecome a British puppet, and how would Mexico acquire the capability to invade Texas?

Oil was not found in Texas and not yet a very important commodity. It was discovered in Penn in 1859 and there was no important oil industry before that date. The war ended in 1865 so the oil industry was still in its infantcy by the war ended.

I wonder if the North would let the Southerners fight each other and let the South be weakened, Balkanized and too busy to bother the North?

I think the North would wait until they are weakened and then see if they can pick up any of the pieces. After 10 or more years of warfare many in the South may think rejoining the Union as the lesser of two evils.