Well, the Spanish won't fight as well, but even without coca tea you can adapt with time to conditions like the Altiplano: living here in Albuquerque, I can tell you 10,000 feet (top of the mountain where the ski slopes down the back start) isn't too bad. (I have read that European women, dealing with the already terribly strenuous conditions of 16th century childbirth, tended to have rather high rates of miscarriages and deaths in childbirth, which tended to push up the number of Spanish immigrants marrying native women).
Well, spending a day at the ski resort and going back down to a mile above sea level is a bit different than staying there for a long period of time. My brother and I used to go to Mount Whitney often, but he got altitude sickness after camping for a week. I'm no doctor, though, so this is nothing more than simple wondering. Maybe if there were any colonial records of altitude sickness in early Peru or even during conquest, that may help some.
I'm almost more interested in the Mapuche settling Buenos Aires and possibly expanding into the rest of Patagonia. John Adams believed that land is the best investment, and the Mapuche have some of the best in the world.
I'm not sure if Patagonia counts as the best in the world, seeing as it's mostly dry plains and cool deserts. Unless it's along the Rio Negro, maybe. But IOTL the Mapuche did wind up establishing themselves across much of northern Patagonia, including the Rio Negro. They had horses by that time, though.

Plant-based agriculture would stick to the few rivers in Patagonia as would most of the population. Some varieties of potato might be able to brave it elsewhere. But just as the steppes were/are excellent for sheep IOTL, so would the Mapuche find good llama pasture there. Of course, they may not know it but there's definitely plenty of fertile land north of Patagonia, which, as far as central Argentina is concerned, is already occupied by agrarian societies; some of which are used to fending off invaders and fortify their towns accordingly.

That region though is also interesting in itself -- many of the peoples in central Argentina just before Spanish arrival were becoming 'Incanized' at that point...or at least obtaining goods and borrowing practices from that region, such as metalworking and llama herding. It would be interesting to see what happens in that area without Europeans.

After reading this timeline for the past week, I can definitely say it has peaked my interest. Subsc- I mean, watched!

Interlude 1.3: Meanwhile in "Civilization"
Interlude 3: Meanwhile in "Civilization"

screen-shot-2017-02-26-at-8-32-05-pm-png.309848

Neither Charles nor Francis walked away pleased by the 6th Italian War, Francis had failed to take Milan while Charles had ceded much of the land protecting Milan, including Genoa, to the French and now faced a war with the Ottomans in the East. However it would prove only the beginning of the troubles for Charles, his war with the Ottomans saw the Muslim power ascend to navel dominance in the Mediterranean.......

Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 8.16.30 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 8.17.08 PM.png

Critically outnumbered in galleys as the newly French Genoan fleet did not fight in the anti-Ottoman war the Holy League could do nothing that stopped Barbarossa from seizing as much territory of Venice as he could. Eventually they decided to try to retake the fortress at Actium, recently seized by the Ottomans. But unfavorable winds and a massive numerical deficit resulted in a defeat for the Holy League.

Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 9.14.00 PM.png

Francis had returned for the final blow in the Hapsburg-Valois Wars, at least for a while, with Ottoman navel support the war in Italy went well, with the French making a triumphal return to Milan after some quick victories in Lombardy. The combined Anglo-Hapsburg invasion of France fizzled as Henry insisted on commanding the entire English force personally, dulling its ability. Meanwhile the German princes were rumbling and the debt was mounting, making Charles's personal invasion less impressive then it could have been. Eventually the Schmalkaldic League's rumblings became too great to ignore and Charles made Peace with Francis, fully intending to reclaim Milan at a later date. England soon followed with events on the island occuring quickly....

Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 8.57.58 PM.png

The Succession Act of 1545 restored Henry's children by previously removed wives to the line of succession to the English throne. Mary, Elizabeth and Catherine were all restored to their positions in line for the English throne, though after Edward, Prince of Wales.

Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 9.41.47 PM.png

Charles's decade reached it's nadir with the sudden death of his brother Ferdinand in 1545. Ferdinand had been his brother loyal steward in Austria as Charles's focus was diverted elsewhere. Ferdinand had been a bullwork against the Ottoman threat from the east. Ferdinand had been far more respected by the German princelings then Charles could ever hope to be. Ferdinand had been Charles's heir in the HRE instead of Charles's Spanish raised son. Now, as the Lutheran powers of Germany were agitating like never before, Charles had a chance to see his dream of a pan-European monarchy live beyond him in Philip, but also had the fact that his Brother's teenage son was a possibility as well.........

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 9.37.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2017-03-08 at 9.37.23 PM.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 446
I was looking forward to seeing Phillip II's reign being constrained and/or going worse as he finds his treasury with a ridiculously smaller amount of silver to fund his wars; now it seems that his reign is going to be getting off to a rocky start from the beginning. Not sure how I feel about that, but it should certainly be interesting...

French hegemony in northwest Italy? Interesting. And the Ottomans aren't slowing their pace either.

I feel vaguely sorry for Charles V. I always thought more highly of him than his contemporaries in France and England.

Well this might strengthen the Spanish in the long term as without Andean silver they'll be much less likely to bite off more than they can chew. This'll have big effects on China as well a bit down the road.

So lack of funds seeming to be an impact here, would be interesting to see a strong France-Ottoman alliance. Worked right and with some of the Italian states as vassals to one or the other they could come to control the Med.

So France gets it hold on Italy, the Ottomans begin it's Naval Dominance of the Eastern Med, and a Habsburg Civil War looms? I dunno about you, but this is starting to scream overall Habsburg-screw...

..I'm intrigued.

That last paragraph... do I smell a succession crisis?

Perhaps. For those of you keeping score at home Maximilian is Archduke of Austria, King of Hungary and King of Croatia. He'll need the approval of the Bohemian Estates to succeed his father there. The King of Bohemia, is of course, an elector to the Holy Roman Empire. Now remember that the estates elected Ferdinand only 20 years ago, and they have no deep ties to the Hapsburgs. And some of the other the Electors are engaged in an anti-Hapsburg alliance. And of course Maximilian is not quite 18 yet...

I was looking forward to seeing Phillip II's reign being constrained and/or going worse as he finds his treasury with a ridiculously smaller amount of silver to fund his wars; now it seems that his reign is going to be getting off to a rocky start from the beginning. Not sure how I feel about that, but it should certainly be interesting...

Yeah, Phillip is gonna be in deep economic shit before he starts.

I hope so. I'm absolutely tiiiinngliing in anticipation.

I will simply quote @DracoLazarus

"Our deadly enemies are two : the French and the Hungarians. And the English. Three! Three deadly enemies..." The Monty Pythons in the Habsburg Dynasty

Obviously the enemies are different, but the idea thus far is the same.

French hegemony in northwest Italy? Interesting. And the Ottomans aren't slowing their pace either.

I feel vaguely sorry for Charles V. I always thought more highly of him than his contemporaries in France and England.

He hasn't really made any huge mistakes, besides throwing in his lot with the horribly out numbered Holy League.

Well this might strengthen the Spanish in the long term as without Andean silver they'll be much less likely to bite off more than they can chew. This'll have big effects on China as well a bit down the road.

They'll still likely get a trickle of Silver, just from trade/looting the Andes when the Tawantinsuyu aren't looking.

Charles sure is gonna have a bellyful of problems there.

:oops:

So lack of funds seeming to be an impact here, would be interesting to see a strong France-Ottoman alliance. Worked right and with some of the Italian states as vassals to one or the other they could come to control the Med.

*Venice breathes heavily*

*The Pope prays heavily*

So France gets it hold on Italy, the Ottomans begin it's Naval Dominance of the Eastern Med, and a Habsburg Civil War looms? I dunno about you, but this is starting to scream overall Habsburg-screw...

..I'm intrigued.

The naval battle in this update is just a jacked up version of an OTL one. This period IOTL was a period of Ottoman strength at sea. As for a Civil War Charles is still alive to use his power to arbitrate and if push comes to shove they can always marry their own cousins. The biggest threat against them at the moment is the Schmalkaldic League taking this as an excuse to revolt en masse.

Hmm... Did the conquest of the Inca really give Spain such a monetary boost IOTL as to change the result of a European war so soon thereafter, or has more time passed since Pizzarro's expedition than I thought?

Oh. I checked the first post. Almost 20 years already?

I just caught up because I wasn't aware of the last two updates. Are any of Spain's rivals going to try to court the Inca? I give the Spanish a couple of months before they break that treaty. Interesting developments in Europe.

Perversely, this might be a good thing for the Hapsburgs long term- instead of constantly juggling multiple fiefdoms, each plagued by their own internal divisions, here the focus on Spain and Germany might see them have to develop more powerful national institutions like their rivals did.