The Song of Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the map, Scarecrow!:)
I'm not to sure what to do with the Vlachs. Could they end up in Pannonia? Any ideas anyone?

They are probably among the Patzinaks and Yuruks, and also in the Byzantine margin of the Danube.
They can be used by both Roman Empires. It's a matter of what's more important for them: being Romans (in a Greek-speaking Byzantine Empire, where they would be marginalized), or being Orthodox (obeing to Constantinople).
They can probably settle in Pannonia or Western Hungary, and would help the power who protects them better from nomads.
The Albanians are probably still neighbours to the Byzantine Vlachs, and can migrate too, if the conditions in ATL prevent them from settling in OTL Albania. A part of them is pro-Rome, so they can be good vassals for the WRE.

Yay! A map. I'm glad that maps can now be made more often. That will enrich the TL so!

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the map, Scarecrow!:)

They are probably among the Patzinaks and Yuruks, and also in the Byzantine margin of the Danube.
They can be used by both Roman Empires. It's a matter of what's more important for them: being Romans (in a Greek-speaking Byzantine Empire, where they would be marginalized), or being Orthodox (obeing to Constantinople).
They can probably settle in Pannonia or Western Hungary, and would help the power who protects them better from nomads.
The Albanians are probably still neighbours to the Byzantine Vlachs, and can migrate too, if the conditions in ATL prevent them from settling in OTL Albania. A part of them is pro-Rome, so they can be good vassals for the WRE.

So we could end up with Albanians in Pannonia and Vlach in whatever state emerges in Transylvania?

Any other ideas about the Balkan situation?

I thought the Albanians were natives of southern Illyria, at least before the volkerwanderung :confused:

Of course, i heard this from an albanian, so it may not be too objective...

I thought the Albanians were natives of southern Illyria, at least before the volkerwanderung :confused:

When I was looking at the evolution of Indo-European, the story I heard was as Cromm says. The following is from Wikipedia, so perhaps not perfect, but its two alternate origins both involve evolution in situ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_language said:
Classification

Albanian was proved to be an Indo-European language in 1854 by the German philologist Franz Bopp. The Albanian language constitutes its own branch of the Indo-European language family.
Some scholars believe that Albanian derives from Illyrian[2][3]while others,[4] claim that it derives from Daco-Thracian. (Illyrian and Daco-Thracian, however, may have formed a sprachbund; see Thraco-Illyrian.)

There are theories (Thracian or Dacian origin) about the origins of the Albanian language that suggest that they were in close geographical contact with Romanized Dacian Populations, of whom a part lived in the Byzantine margin of the Danube (in Moesia, IIRC), which in turn suggest that during the 6th-10th centuries, at least a part of the Albanians could have lived a bit north of modern Albania, and may follow the migrations of Dacian/Vlach populations in TTL, depending on a number of factors:).

When I was looking at the evolution of Indo-European, the story I heard was as Cromm says. The following is from Wikipedia, so perhaps not perfect, but its two alternate origins both involve evolution in situ.
I based my opinion in Wikipedia (although I cannot assure the validity of the content), and extrapolated a possible ATL development;):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_Albanians

An update concerning one thing: this world has gotten too large.

I'm tempted to put the Song of Roland on the backburner, to reboot it, simply because it has gotten too large and far to separate from OTL to the point that it exists in its own world: There are no OTL characters to relate to, and few OTL institutions. Due to my poor planing and poor research have lead to me chasing my own tail, hunting through 150,000 words for who was King of X. I keep encountering OTL things that I should have included, especially about Charlemagne and the 9th Century.

Sources are spotty or non-existent or in French or German.

So, I have decided to put it on the backburner. I will keep working on it, but instead I will have a new project to work on, in a setting and time scale that has more sources and has more interest. The 11th and 12th Century. I shall start another thread discussing my ideas in order to get some feedback.

An update concerning one thing: this world has gotten too large.

I'm tempted to put the Song of Roland on the backburner, to reboot it, simply because it has gotten too large and far to separate from OTL to the point that it exists in its own world: There are no OTL characters to relate to, and few OTL institutions. Due to my poor planing and poor research have lead to me chasing my own tail, hunting through 150,000 words for who was King of X. I keep encountering OTL things that I should have included, especially about Charlemagne and the 9th Century.

Sources are spotty or non-existent or in French or German.

So, I have decided to put it on the backburner. I will keep working on it, but instead I will have a new project to work on, in a setting and time scale that has more sources and has more interest. The 11th and 12th Century. I shall start another thread discussing my ideas in order to get some feedback.

Ah ran into the same problem I had. It gets even worse when you've had writer's block or for whatever reason had to stop writing for a while.

In any case can't wait to see what you've got coming up next. :) [There had better be plenty of maps! ;)]

Ah ran into the same problem I had. It gets even worse when you've had writer's block or for whatever reason had to stop writing for a while.

In any case can't wait to see what you've got coming up next. :) [There had better be plenty of maps! ;)]

Well go to the other thread and voice your opinion.:p But oh yes, there will be maps.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Whatever happened to this? It's been 4 years since the last update!

What happened? It DIED.

Let it rest in peace. DO NOT resurrect DEAD threads to ask if they are dead or to bump them.

You have been here long enough to know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.