The Shuffled Disneyverse: An Alt Disney Timeline

Oh. Ok.

Will this expand to television or the rest of the entertainment industry?
This will expand to include Pixar films as well but that's officially it. It will likely have some butterflies on the film industry ITTL though. I forgot to mention this earlier but depending on when the films get released, the plots for each will likely change too.

Last edited:
This will expand to include Pixar films as well but that's officially it. It will likely have some butterflies on the film industry ITTL though. I forgot to mention this earlier but depending on when the films get released, the plots for each will likely change too.
Ok. I can live with that.

For the Genie, if you make it into the 60’s it could be Zero Mostell. Peter Sellers or one of the members of Monty Python, Pailen, Cleese, or Idol, could be another option.

For the Genie, if you make it into the 60’s it could be Zero Mostell. Peter Sellers or one of the members of Monty Python, Pailen, Cleese, or Idol, could be another option.
At this point I won't confirm is Aladdin is in the 1960s but those are good choices. Of course, it could be closer to the original tale where there are two genies instead of one.

I also added a plot point to emphasize Foster’s new title of Wish. I will also be going back to add author’s notes to every title released so far to keep everything consistent.

Last edited:
The author's notes for the first 10 Disney films ITTL are complete. As for the next film, I should hopefully start working on it by Thanksgiving at the latest. I already gave a hint for this one but I'll just say that some well-received films IOTL could be received poorly ITTL and some poorly-received films IOTL could be well-received ITTL. Based on the initial plans for this film, it looks like it might fall into this trap.

Update: I’ve now decided that I will be working on the next film title concurrently with another TL and both should be done sometime around Thanksgiving.

I’ve decided to fast track the next update since I’m developing writers block for one of my others and in that case, I have two words for this film ITTL and me trying to develop it: Development Hell. You will see what I mean soon.

Fantasia (1949)
Fantasia (1949):

Fantasia_theatrical_trailer.png

The idea behind Fantasia dated back to July 1937 when Disney received the rights to the music for Paul Dukas’ The Sorcerer’s Apprentice for a short set to star the one and only Mickey Mouse. After meeting with world-renowned Philadelphia Orchestra conductor Leopold Stokowski, the two agreed on December 16 for Stokowski to record the music for The Sorcerer's Apprentice, which happened on January 9, 1938. By February, production costs for the short had swelled so much that it was obvious it could not earn back that money by itself. Thus, Disney decided to incorporate it into a feature film with other segments set to classical music titled The Concert Feature before being renamed Fantasia. First scheduled for a November 1940 release, anger from composer Igor Stravinsky over his Rite of Spring and the removal of two other pieces for various reasons made clear that it would not be completed in time. Thus, Frozen: The Story of the Snow Queen took its slot with The Sorcerer's Apprentice shown ahead of it. Stokowski recorded the final pieces in the spring and summer of 1941. It was set for a late 1942 or early 1943 release until the animators’ strike and the attack on Pearl Harbor shelved this until after the war.

In 1947, with wartime package films having ceased production, Disney resumed work on Fantasia and was set for a 1949 release. The film opens with Mussorgsky’s Picture at an Exhibition which features pieces of abstract art literally and figuratively coming to life at an art museum after closing for the night. Up next was the Nutcracker Suite, featuring a variety of dances to show the change of the seasons. The third segment, and the most iconic, was Don Quixote. Slated as its own film before cancellation, the plot centers around a hidalgo named Alonso Quijano who pretends he’s a knight named Don Quixote de la Mancha. The fourth segment was a mix of two pieces by Claude Debussy: Clair de Lune and La Mer. It features a lonely egret in the bayou looking for friends before a storm washes him away and he must find his way home. Fantasia resumes with the Pastoral Symphony set in classical mythology to the tune of Beethoven’s Sixth. After that was Dance of the Hours by Amilcare Ponchielli complete with dancing alligators, elephants, hippos, and ostriches. Dance of the Hours preceded a baby ballet set to John Alden Carpenter's Adventures in a Perambulator. The final segment and emotional climax of the film, Igor Stravinsky’s The Firebird Suite, shows life, death, and renewal in 30 minutes, seen through the eyes of the Spring Sprite.

Fantasia premiered on July 6, 1949, in Los Angeles, California at the same venue where Snow White premiered in 1937. Thanks in part to the theatrical trailer promoting Mickey Mouse as the co-host of the film alongside Deems Taylor, Fantasia ended up a modest hit for its $2.3 million budget. It was successful but not enough to release the film every few years with new segments as intended, and the concept was scrapped. Most critics praised Fantasia for its attempt at high art by blending high-quality animation with classical music but some saw it as pretentious. Most audience criticisms were aimed at the last two segments. Many considered the baby ballet as redundant and too cutesy while some viewed The Firebird Suite as too long, boring, and harsh. After 1949, it was aired on television and not released back to theaters for another 20 years when the youth of the 1960s finally made it a Disney classic. Over the years, Fantasia gained controversy over the racist caricatures seen in The Nutcracker Suite and Pastoral Symphony but has otherwise aged well. The original soundtrack animation for the abandoned segments and the Meet The Soundtrack intermission appear as bonus features on the 2000 DVD release.

Author's Note: I didn't want Fantasia to be the exact same film of OTL and since I already announced the separate release of the Sorcerer's Apprentice alongside Frozen, I decided to make some other changes, which meant some segments had to be replaced. I decided to cut Toccata and Fugue in D Minor since I assumed test audiences would hate it and was excluded from the original 1942 widespread release anyway. I also cut The Rite of Spring since Stravinsky IOTL was livid over the reshuffling of his work in Fantasia and the removal of the sequence which would have ended the segment with the Age of Man and discovery of Fire. Here, as the only composer still alive and due to hasty delays in production as is, he gets to listen to it and he's just as livid so Disney swaps it out for a 30-minute rendition of The Firebird. I have it replacing the role of Night on Bald Mountain and Ave Maria so that had to go and I wanted to use the segment that was competed for Fantasia IOTL but cut due to time constraints. For new segments, I looked and used the pieces that Deems Taylor IOTL had recorded introductions for in 1940 in the event of a follow-up to Fantasia. Lastly, Fantasound never is actually used here due to budget cuts stemming from the animators' strike and World War II.

Last edited:
I see your issue with this one, changing fantasia was a hard work with all the previous butterflies
It was mostly a matter of which segments to remove and what to replace them with. I was unsure until I came across the tidbit that Deems Taylor IOTL recorded intros for segments in 1940 in the event of a Fantasia continuation. It became a lot easier once I found out about this. Another major part of the issue and development hell was trying to work on my other TLs at the same time.