The Shuffled Disneyverse: An Alt Disney Timeline

Hi guys,
Even though most of my focus has been pre-1900, I'm skipping into after 1900 because admittedly, I enjoy reading Disney TLs on here. After reading several, I've decided to do a Disney timeline of my own. I was originally going to do a take on Disney and animation as a whole without World War 2 but instead I've been inspired by this thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-never-going-to-be-finished-in-a-week.401946/. Shoutout to @King of the Uzbeks by the way for the inspiration.

In short, this will be an AH where the order of all the Disney animated film titles shuffled around so that new stories are created. Of course, I'm going to add my own twist to this. Not only all the Disney Animation Studios films are being included, but Pixar as well (and future releases like Strange World, Elemental, and Foster). So there's going to be 89 titles that will be sent through an online randomizer. If sequels end up being randomized as to be ahead of the original, I'm just going to order the films and their sequels chronologically based on where they land. Unlike my other TLs, this is supposed to be a project that's more for fun than anything so updates might be more frequent or less frequent as a result. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Dagoth Ur

Banned
I wonder if Don Bluth stayed with Disney and was given creative freedom and a team to work with, how many dozens of radical films he could have made.

I wonder if Don Bluth stayed with Disney and was given creative freedom and a team to work with, how many dozens of radical films he could have made.
I don’t know yet. I just randomized the movies this evening. But there’s a chance he could if everything goes right. As far as randomization goes, I was originally going to put the Disney and Pixar movies into one pool but I decided that Pixar movies becoming Disney movies and Vice versa would be too confusing for readers and myself. So I just made two separate pools and shuffled from there.

As someone who really enjoyed @King of the Uzbeks’ original timeline and had been thinking of creating a timeline with that same concept, I’m really excited to see where this goes.

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs (1937)
Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs (1937):

1656124726558.png

Before his very first feature, film, Walt Disney was primarily involved with the animation of Mickey Mouse and his friends and the Silly Symphonies series. By attempting to do a full-length feature, Disney had hoped to expand both the prestige and revenue of his animation studio. While fighting to have it produced, both his brother and wife tried to convince him not to go through with it. It didn’t help that Hollywood was dismissing his efforts and called it “Disney’s Folly” during production. But still, he pushed on anyway. Walt initially estimated a $250,000 budget for Snow White in 1934, which was ten times the budget of the average Silly Symphony short produced at the time. By the time production ended, the total cost of the film was close to $1.5 million, which was massive at the time. It was so expensive that Disney had to mortgage his house to help production and needed a loan of $250,000 midway through. Was the film worth the high production costs?

Evidentially, the answer was yes. It was a simple feature that somehow managed to appeal to adults and children alike through its animation style, score, songs, setting, and story. The plot is as follows: The vain and wicked Queen Grimhilde asks her Magic Mirror on a daily basis who the fairest one of all is. Usually, the answer is the Queen herself but one day the answer is her stepdaughter Snow White. Due to the Queen’s jealousy, the young princess Snow White is forced to act as a scullery maid and dress in rags. Wishing for her true love, she catches the attention of Prince Florian and later the Evil Queen who orders a bounty for the death of her stepdaughter. She is urged to run away into the woods where she comes across a cottage that she later finds out belongs to seven magic Dwarves. They let her stay, and for the first time, Snow White feels like she is part of a family. When Grimhilde finds out she is still alive, she makes it her duty to find and kill her herself, setting in motion a chain of events that involves a poison apple and the chance for Snow White to find her love’s first kiss.

It premiered in December 1937 at the Carthay Circle Theatre in Los Angeles. When it ended, Walt Disney earned massive applause from the audience, proving the naysayers wrong. In January 1938, it opened in New York and Miami before being placed into general release on February 4. When it finished its initial theatrical run, it earned over $7.8 million at the box office worldwide, making it the top grossing film ever at the time. At the 1939 Academy Awards, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs won Walt Disney an honorary Academy Award as presented by Shirley Temple, featuring a full-size Oscar statuette and seven miniature ones. It received universal acclaim at the time, with particular praise for the animation of the human characters and the performances of Adriana Caselotti as Snow White and Lucille La Verne as the Evil Queen Grimhilde. It was not the first color sound cartoon nor the first animated feature film but it was the first full-length cel-animated feature and certainly the first animate film to be successful. With the success of Snow White, Walt Disney soon looked to find other fairy tales to adapt into animated films.

A/N: All the other films in the Disney and Pixar Animated Canon are randomized but I felt like I couldn't randomize Snow White out of being the first Disney film because I cannot imagine almost any other film having the same impact Snow White did. But starting from the next entry onward, all the titles are randomized. As far as the film TTL goes, it's mostly the same except that the dancing in the clouds sequence is kept in, all three assassination methods from the original story are considered before the Queen selects the apple, and the Prince has a somewhat more active role towards the end. Look for the next update soon.

Cinderella (1940)
Cinderella (1940):

621px-Page_92_illustration_from_Fairy_tales_of_Charles_Perrault_(Clarke,_1922).png

Even before the premiere of Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs on December 21, 1937, Walt Disney was looking for other fairy tales to adapt. This next story was brought to Walt Disney’s attention in September 1937. Cinderella, a tale dating back to Ancient Greece, was something Walt Disney had in his head since 1922 when he produced a Laugh-O-Gram cartoon based on it and was interested in making another version as a Silly Symphony in December 1933. During the production of Snow White, though, Disney realized the story, which he based on Charles Perrault’s version, was too complex to be an animated short and prioritized its creation as a feature-length cartoon. Originally intended to be the third Disney animated film, Cinderella moved up in the pecking order by December so that it would be the second after Snow White. The treatment of this film was based on a 14-page outline by Al Perkins, and a second script written by Dana Cofy and Bianca Majolie. Production began in January 1938 with a preliminary budget of $1 million and increased to $1.7 million by the end. Nevertheless, the production team and directors were stratified with the final result.

The story begins following the untimely death of Cinderella’s father, leaving the young girl to face the wrath of her wicked stepmother Florimel de la Poche and stepsisters Wanda and Javotte. Over time, Cinderella is abused, humiliated, and forced to become a servant in her own house. Her bird friends and mouse friends, including a white mouse named Dusty, a turtle named Clarissa, and her pet dog Bruno help Cinderella stay optimistic and retain hope for a better day. One day, the King’s aid and Grand Duke, Spink, delivers an invitation to the de la Poche household to a royal ball which decrees every eligible maiden must attend. Upon delivering news to her stepfamily during a music lesson, her stepfamily cruelly prevents her from attending. In hopeless despair, the fairy godmother helps her get to the ball and Cinderella soon attracts the attention of Prince Henri who ironically wanted nothing to do with the ball until that point. The clock then strikes midnight and Cinderella flees before she can properly introduce herself to the Prince, leaving behind a glass slipper as the only clue to her identity. The rest of the movie becomes a search for the girl with the slipper.

Cinderella premiered at the Center Theatre in New York City on February 7, 1940, before its general release in the United States on February 23. In its initial run, it earned $1.9 million at the box office. While the film technically earned back its budget, half of the film’s gross went to the movie theaters, in effect costing Disney $750,000. World War II delayed its release in much of Europe and Asia for years. The film was mostly well-received, with critics praising the improvement of the music and animation from Snow White. Though more mixed in the present day, Cinderella’s characterization was praised at the time and she became Walt Disney’s favorite princess. The stepmother was considered an effective villainess, having more interaction with the heroine than in the previous film. The Grand Duke and Prince Henri were considered standout characters due to their unique characterizations and voice performances. The only negative criticism was that of Cinderella’s animal friends taking too much screen time, being seen as an attempt to subvert the focus of the story from Cinderella and her stepfamily. After World War II, the film became profitable in its own right and is now considered a Disney classic.

A/N: This version of Cinderella is a combination of OTL's version plus the suggestions for gags for a potential Silly Symphony of the story, an actual fourteen-page outline that was published in 1938, and a script that Cofy and Majolie developed in real life that was one of the earliest if not the earliest treatments of Cinderella in script form.

Sorry I couldn’t find a better picture for Cinderella, only so much that I could find in the public domain.

And here’s a hint for the next three titles to round out the Golden Age (I will be posting them one at a time when I complete the write-up for each):
All three come from movies released in 2000 or later IOTL.

Last edited:
And here’s a hint for the next three titles to round out the Golden Age (I will be posting them one at a time when I complete the write-up for each):
All three come from movies released in 2000 or later IOTL.
My guesses:
  1. Raya and the Last Dragon
  2. Chicken Little
  3. Tangled