The Ships that Never Sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this is more for fun than anything, but something I've been thinking about a lot. What are couples in history that you ship that never got together?

For example, my list includes:
  • Alexander II of Russia and Alexandrine of Baden
  • Franz Josef I of Austria and Princess Anna of Prussia
  • Mary I of England and James V of Scotland
  • Elizabeth I of England and Philip II of Spain
  • The Princess Beatrice and Louis, The Prince Imperial of France
  • Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna of Russia and Alexander I of Serbia
  • George V and Princess Marie of Edinburgh
  • Albert Victor, The Duke of Clarence and Avondale, and Princess Helene of Orleans

Frederick the Great and Maria Theresa. Now there's a power couple if ever I've seen one...

Frederick the Great and Gustavus III of Sweden. A lot of modern scholars agree that the former was either gay or ace (I'm assuming the former for the ship) and there were rumours surrounding the latter. Totally ASB, of course, for them to have a marriage, but possible perhaps for them to have a fling for one another.

EDIT: just realized Frederick was Gustav's uncle. Scratch that...

Last edited:
D. Jaime of Spain (Carlist claimant Jaime III) and Mathilde of Bavaria (their marriage was frustrated by his Carlist claims and her mother being the half-sister of Maria Christine, Queen of Spain)
Maria Amalie of Austria and Karl of Zweibrucken
Augusta of Saxony and Joszef Poniatowski (not to knock @marcinL's family tree - I think it's awesome BTW), but it seems more likely than Poniatowski marrying a Russian grand duchess and becoming king of Poland.
Queen Victoria and literally anyone but Prince Albert
Marie of Prussia (mother of Ludwig II of Bavaria) and Ernst of Coburg
Sophie Albertine of Sweden and Stanislas Poniatowski
Marie Leszczynska and the margrave of Baden-Baden (they were in love (or at least he was) but his mother/counsellors disapproved of the match)
Alexander Sobieski and Elzbieta Sieniawska

And following on with @Arcavius same-sex theme: Isabella of Parma and Maria Christine "Mimi" of Austria

Alfonso II d'Este, last of his line and after three childless marriages Ferrari went over to a Cousin line.
Well it might have been he who had fertility problems but let's combine with other women.

So Alfonso II d'Este to anyone who had lot of kids.

Maria Caroline of Austria (Queen of Naples in OTL) and Louis XVI
Louis XV and Infanta Marianna of Spain (his original fiance)
Peter III of Russia and someone other than Catherine the Great.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Maria Caroline of Austria (Queen of Naples in OTL) and Louis XVI
Louis XV and Infanta Marianna of Spain (his original fiance)
Peter III of Russia and someone other than Catherine the Great.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Omg a million times yes to Louis XVI and Maria Karolina! I truly believe she could've saved the French monarchy or at least not botched their escape into Germany

Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley (I know, I know, but they were so good together, they should have married)
Mary Tudor the younger and George Boleyn (I have actually written these two together)
Mary Tudor the elder and Francis I of France
Anne Boleyn and Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk
Edward VI and Lady Jane Grey
Isabella of Castile and Edward IV.

To add to my original list:
Maria Theresia of Austria (daughter of Joseph II) and Paul I of Russia
Mary I of England and Karl V of the Holy Roman Emperor
Mary I of Scotland and Edward VI
Edward VI and Elisabeth de Valois
Mary I of England and Ferdinand I of the Holy Roman Emperor
Isabel II of Spain and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha-Kóhary
Louis XVII and Maria Amalia of Naples and Sicily
Louise de Artois and Ferdinand Philippe of Orlèans

Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley (I know, I know, but they were so good together, they should have married)
Mary Tudor the younger and George Boleyn (I have actually written these two together)
Mary Tudor the elder and Francis I of France
Anne Boleyn and Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk
Edward VI and Lady Jane Grey
Isabella of Castile and Edward IV.
Never thought of Mary Tudor the younger and George Boleyn together but I'm very intrigued. Would it be Queen Anne's way of keeping Mary under control?

Omg a million times yes to Louis XVI and Maria Karolina! I truly believe she could've saved the French monarchy or at least not botched their escape into Germany

Absolutely. She would have been much more involved in government than Marie Antoinette, might well have ensured the marriage was consumated much earlier and, if all else fails, would certainly yes have made a much better job of getting the family - or her children at least - out of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.