The Ships that Never Sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were not kidding. I it is a really long list.

Henry VIII and Eleanor of Austria would be really interesting, let alone because of the Butterflies.
Years of playing the game and plotting matches... And think who many of my personal ships are about ATL children so were excluded by the list
Yes, you need only Henry VII living another couple of years and Henry VIII will be married to his young fiancé before his father’s death and so unable to marry Katherine (but likely will have more children)

Last edited:
I always read that Charles hated Anne, but ok might be because his wife Mary liked her first sister-in-law more and was bitching against Anne.

Henry Fitzroy and Catherine de Medici, Now that is something that the Writers will love for ever.

I know. It's a couple I can't wait to explore, especially when we have a spoiled Henry Fitzroy hiding his insecurities under a veneer of arrogance and a young Catherine trying to find her feet in the English Court having been raised in Italy. Her marriage to Henry will be the price of his legitimisation, so that will give me another aspect to play with when writing their marriage.

As for Charles and Anne, someone once said to me that Charles was so loyal to Henry that he was willing to blame anyone else but Henry for everything that happened, because he couldn't bear the thought of his childhood friend having become a monster. It makes sense to me, and might go some way to explaining why Charles was happy to support Henry and Anne to begin with while they took down Wolsey, but turned against Anne so quickly thereafter - and yes, I suspect his Tudor wife also had quite a bit to do with it. Mary the elder and Anne were both ill with the Sweat in 1528, IIRC. Both survived, but Anne seems to have come out more or less unscathed, while Mary's health was never the same again. Charles may well have resented Anne for that as well. Irrational, but I could see it happening.

I know. It's a couple I can't wait to explore, especially when we have a spoiled Henry Fitzroy hiding his insecurities under a veneer of arrogance and a young Catherine trying to find her feet in the English Court having been raised in Italy. Her marriage to Henry will be the price of his legitimisation, so that will give me another aspect to play with when writing their marriage.

Who would be the alternate wife of Henri II?

About Charles and Henry VIII...bromance ship.

There are a couple of Slashfics on AO3 about them. I think because of the handsome actors that played them in "The Tudors".

Edited
And sadly i have to say i once read a mpreg fiction about them, i forgot what it was called but i was on a German fansite of the Series.
It was hilariously awful but Henry was happy having 10 sons.

Last edited:
There are a couple of Slashfics on AO3 about them. I think because of the handsome actors that played them in "The Tudors".

Edited
And sadly i have to say i once read a mpreg fiction about them, i forgot what it was called but i was on a German fansite of the Series.
It was hilariously awful but Henry was happy having 10 sons.

Oh... I'm not quite sure what to say to that.

Oh... I'm not quite sure what to say to that.

It was funny in a feeling slightly shocked way, like when you see people on the street walking and feeling totally happy wearing fetish stuff.
Weird but as long as they don't hurt anybody, it is just there.

I was just wanting to mention it.
Some people seem to have way more obscure fantasy than we here, on Alternate History have.
Only their fantasies are a lot more ....weird.

Last edited:
Frederick the Great and Gustavus III of Sweden. A lot of modern scholars agree that the former was either gay or ace (I'm assuming the former for the ship) and there were rumours surrounding the latter. Totally ASB, of course, for them to have a marriage, but possible perhaps for them to have a fling for one another.

IIRC wasn't Gustavus III Frederick's nephew through his mother Louise of Prussia? An incestuous gay fling might be a bit...much even by Habsburg standards. Does go to show that the gay gene really ran in that family, though.

IIRC wasn't Gustavus III Frederick's nephew through his mother Louise of Prussia? An incestuous gay fling might be a bit...much even by Habsburg standards. Does go to show that the gay gene really ran in that family, though.

Apparently so...I think I'll edit my prior post now...

I love the idea for this thread.

I'd never though of Anne Boleyn and Charles Brandon before. When would they have met? And if Charles meet her before Henry how does Charles react when Henry chases after her or would her being married to his best friend be enough for him to back off?

Back to ships that never sailed (;))

• Bona Sforza and Lorenzo de Medici, duke of Urbino
  • Bianca Maria Sforza and Janos Corvinus
  • Sigmund the Old of Poland and Katharina of Mecklenburg
  • Sigmund Augustus and Barbara Radziłłowna (yes they were married OTL - not long enough IMO - and @Jan Olbracht will probably want to burn me at the stake but I really like the idea of Siggie avoiding getting a VD and having kids (at least two surviving sons) with Barbie)
  • Philipp the Fair of Burgundy and Anne of Brittany (instead of her wedding his dad)
  • Elisabeth of Luxemburg (daughter of Emperor Sigmund) and Rupprecht of the Palatinate (son of Blanche of Lancaster, sister of Henry V, and Ludwig III of the Palatinate, eldest son of the Emperor Rupprecht).
  • Henry IV and Lucia Visconti (she said, "I would wait a lifetime to marry him, if only to be wedded for a day")
  • Henry V and Katharina of Pomerania
  • Olaf II of Denmark/Sweden/Norway and the French match his mom (Margareta) was considering for him.
  • Jeanne II of Navarre and Édouard, duke of Bar
  • Jeanne II of Navarre and Charles VI's son (so that Navarre ends up part of the French crown earlier)
  • Martin the Younger of Sicily and one of Emperor Rupprecht's daughters (this was seriously being considered at the time of Blanche of Lancaster's betrothal to Ludwig. That there would be a double match between Juana/Yolande of Aragon and Ludwig and one of his sisters would marry Martin Jr)
  • Maria of Sicily and the duke of Milan
  • Federigo IV of Sicily and Antonia Visconti
  • Ladislao of Naples and Lucia Visconti
  • Juan I, King of Aragon and a daughter of Giovanna I of Naples
  • Marguerite d'Anjou and Friedrich III, Holy Roman Emperor (could be a killer match and might spare England some grief).
  • Baltasar Carlos of Spain and Mary, Princess Royal (OTL Princess of Orange. The match was offered briefly, but the king of Spain wasn't interested in having a heretic for a daughter-in-law anymore than he had been wedding his sister to one)
  • Charles I with Maria Anna/Cäcilie Renata of Austria (i.e. James I gets the idea for an Austrian match rather than a Spanish one. And since Jimmy tried to get said bride for his Palatine grandson, why not)
  • Maria of Spain and Charles I of England. (She apparently liked him (or was it Buckingham - like her sister, Anne) and said if he weren't a heretic she'd wed him ina heartbeat

Back to ships that never sailed (;))

• Bona Sforza and Lorenzo de Medici, duke of Urbino
  • Bianca Maria Sforza and Janos Corvinus
  • Sigmund the Old of Poland and Katharina of Mecklenburg
  • Sigmund Augustus and Barbara Radziłłowna (yes they were married OTL - not long enough IMO - and @Jan Olbracht will probably want to burn me at the stake but I really like the idea of Siggie avoiding getting a VD and having kids (at least two surviving sons) with Barbie)
  • Philipp the Fair of Burgundy and Anne of Brittany (instead of her wedding his dad)
  • Elisabeth of Luxemburg (daughter of Emperor Sigmund) and Rupprecht of the Palatinate (son of Blanche of Lancaster, sister of Henry V, and Ludwig III of the Palatinate, eldest son of the Emperor Rupprecht).
  • Henry IV and Lucia Visconti (she said, "I would wait a lifetime to marry him, if only to be wedded for a day")
  • Henry V and Katharina of Pomerania
  • Olaf II of Denmark/Sweden/Norway and the French match his mom (Margareta) was considering for him.
  • Jeanne II of Navarre and Édouard, duke of Bar
  • Jeanne II of Navarre and Charles VI's son (so that Navarre ends up part of the French crown earlier)
  • Martin the Younger of Sicily and one of Emperor Rupprecht's daughters (this was seriously being considered at the time of Blanche of Lancaster's betrothal to Ludwig. That there would be a double match between Juana/Yolande of Aragon and Ludwig and one of his sisters would marry Martin Jr)
  • Maria of Sicily and the duke of Milan
  • Federigo IV of Sicily and Antonia Visconti
  • Ladislao of Naples and Lucia Visconti
  • Juan I, King of Aragon and a daughter of Giovanna I of Naples
  • Marguerite d'Anjou and Friedrich III, Holy Roman Emperor (could be a killer match and might spare England some grief).
  • Baltasar Carlos of Spain and Mary, Princess Royal (OTL Princess of Orange. The match was offered briefly, but the king of Spain wasn't interested in having a heretic for a daughter-in-law anymore than he had been wedding his sister to one)
  • Charles I with Maria Anna/Cäcilie Renata of Austria (i.e. James I gets the idea for an Austrian match rather than a Spanish one. And since Jimmy tried to get said bride for his Palatine grandson, why not)
  • Maria of Spain and Charles I of England. (She apparently liked him (or was it Buckingham - like her sister, Anne) and said if he weren't a heretic she'd wed him ina heartbeat
I have nothing against Siggie having kids with Barbara (although for politicall reasons I'd preffer him having kids with Elizabeth of Austria). I'd like him to have kids with anyone he was married to, it would be clearly better than OTL crisis and end of dynasty.

I would add to the list:
-Frederick the Iron of Brandenburg and Hedwig Jagiellon (daughter of Jogaila)
-Władysław III of Poland and Elizabeth of Luxembourg
-Saint Casimir and Kunigunde of Austria
-Jan Olbracht and Germaine de Foix
-Hedwig Jagiellon (daughter of Sigismund the Old) and: Stanisław of Mazovia, Janusz of Mazovia, Johann of Brandenburg-Küstrin, Ludwig of Bavaria-Landschut, Dom Luis of Beja or Ferdinand Habsburg
-Catherine Jagiellon and John Frederick of Pommerania
-Sigismund Vasa and Christina of Holstein

Maximilian I of Mexico and Maria Amelia of Brazil - they were in love / engaged before she died, so it left port but never quite got all the way to full-on sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.