The Ships that Never Sailed

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by The_Most_Happy, Mar 6, 2019.

1. VVD0D95 Lemmy is God.

Would this be a Carlos who rules Naples and Sicily as well?

2. The_Most_Happy I too can command the wind, sir

This would be the same. The Habsburg-Bourbons would have Spain, Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, the Netherlands, Tuscany, Naples and Sicily, Croatia, Brabant, Limburg, Luxembourg, Flanders, Hainaut, Namur, Galicia, Lodomeria, Transylvania, and Silesia. Their kids would quite literally have their pick of crowns. Maybe first son gets spain, second son gets HRE / Habsburg lands, third son gets Naples and Sicily, fourth son gets Tuscany, etc. Nobody would be hurting for land and titles, that's for sure.

Kellan Sullivan and VVD0D95 like this.
  3. VVD0D95 Lemmy is God.

That’s going to be a juicy war aha

The_Most_Happy likes this.
  4. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

Elizabeth II and Francis of Bavaria
    Princess Diana and JFK jr.

I actually like a Maria Theresa, Infante Carlos union.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    UCB79 likes this.
  5. UCB79 Bookworm, 1st class

What about- dare I say it? Ah what the heck- Princess Di & Donald Trump?

kasumigenx likes this.
  6. WillVictoria Hasn't happened yet though

Elizabeth & Franz would have been impossible because of the Act of Settlement. Unless Franz converted from Roman Catholicism to some Protestant religion (in this circumstance Anglicanism) before the wedding Liz would lose her succession rights and we'd be looking at Queen Margaret. That's assuming George VI and Queen Elizabeth let it get that far (while IOTL they weren't able to squash the Liz-Philip match as they would have liked, here the religious issue means they have much more leverage).

kasumigenx likes this.
  7. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

Yes, Franz II needs to convert to Anglicanism before marrying Elizabeth in this case and give up his throne in Bavaria in favor of his brother Max - but this union would be good since we will see another Edward II/James I like monarch again.

8. WillVictoria Hasn't happened yet though

Another issue is that Franz was a) 7 years Elizabeth’s junior, b) likely playing for the other team, and c) German. IOTL the king and queen thought Philip was too German even though he served in the British navy. While Franz’s family was very opposed to the Nazis, anti German sentiment likely squashes the match. If Elizabeth doesn’t insist on Philip she’s likely matched with someone like the duke of Richmond or another high ranking Anglican peer or heir to a peerage

9. Kellan Sullivan Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a plan to hitch Princess Margaret to someone Hannoverian/Hessian as well?

kasumigenx and The_Most_Happy like this.
  10. The_Most_Happy I too can command the wind, sir

Personally always shipped Elizabeth and Henry Hebert, 7th Earl of Carnivorn

kasumigenx likes this.
  11. kasumigenx Well-Known Member

I think Elizabeth II and a Habsburg-Lorraine who would convert to anglicanism would be a interesting match, since Habsburg-Lorraines are known for being communist or liberal sympathies, this would mean we would have the ITTL husband of Elizabeth who would cooperate better with the Russians and England sides with the Soviets in the Cold War.

12. WillVictoria Hasn't happened yet though

At this point, the monarchy has little political power and is intended to be above politics. IOTL Philip was considered a great modernizer of the monarchy, but whatever TTL's Duke of Edinburgh's (assuming they get the same title as Phil did) political opinions it won't matter for the Cold War. Even if Mr. Elizabeth II is the second coming of Lenin he won't be allowed to influence British politics.

kasumigenx likes this.