The Shadow of Pinatubo - A Philippine Timeline

The Shadow of Pinatubo

We are under the mercy of Mount Pinatubo ~ Anonymous

1382341875.png
Pinatubo releasing Ashes

Recovery from discovery and defeat of the invaders

In the end of the 15th Century or the beginning of 16th century, Volcano of Pinatubo erupted and destroyed the lives of the people in the plains of the Pampanga river, the ashes and lahar ravaged the lands.

On the end of the 15th Century or the beginning of 16th century a part of population of Pampanga River plains migrated to the Tondo and Burakan area as well as the Southern Sambal area after the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo due to the destruction it has caused to the area.

The destruction of the area of the Pampanga river enabled the area of Burakan, Tondo and Sambal area to flourish while the actual core area is just recovering

(so basically, in this point the downtown of the OTL Metro Manila which is empty before is settled by Kapampangan settlers instead of OTL where it is settled by the people of Calatagan)

Calatagan was sacked and razed to the ground by the armies of Sultan Nakhoda Ragam of Brunei, the Bruneians proceeded to try to burn Tondo and Namayan and the people clearly defeated the powerful Nakhoda Ragam, the clans Gatsalihan of Lihan and the Rulers of Tondo itself, one of the junior lineages of the Majapahit clan in Selurong led the armies of Tondo.

In the following decades the Pampanga river basin would recover and restore its previous population in the 1530’s after the defeat of Bolkiah, however Islam was became a popular religion in Tondo and in the Pampanga river basins, the missionaries also has reached the Bannag river area.

1382341875.png

Last edited:
Yay, a TL that employs the Philippines and a volcanic eruption POD! We never see either of those!

So, since the Pinatubo erupted in the period between the earliest recorded eruption (13th century according to Comptons) and 1991 and the people living near the volcano and the west bank of Pampanga River simply fled to Bataan Peninsula, Bulacan (east bank of Pampanga River) and half of present-day Metro Manila. Was Bolinao even considered?

So, since the Pinatubo erupted in the period between the earliest recorded eruption (13th century according to Comptons) and 1991 and the people living near the volcano and the west bank of Pampanga River simply fled to Bataan Peninsula, Bulacan (east bank of Pampanga River) and half of present-day Metro Manila. Was Bolinao even considered?

They Pinatubo did erupt in 15-16th century in OTL, Bolinao is too far from Pampanga it is north of Agno and Pangasinan is not even in the core influence area of Tondo which is Bulacan, Pampanga and Metro Manila, I think some did migrate to Pangasinan and Cagayan Valley but majority of those who fled, fled to Southern Zambales and Bataan aka the Southern Sambal area, Bulacan and Tondo since those place are nearby the Pampanga basin..

Basically, the OTL Metro Manila will be Kapampangan speaking in this TL(spoiler)..so Keep tuned..

The Arrival of Magellan and the Battle of Batangas

On the battle of Batangas, in Calatagan after the death of Gambang, the Princess of Tondo, Dayang Kaylangitan went under the custody of Ragam Bolkiah and married her to his son, Lontok, however the people of Tondo along with the rulers of Namayan and Lihan defeated the Bruneian invaders causing Dayang Kaylangitan only to rule the area of Calatagan in the South of Selurong and Namayan was absorbed into Tondo , she was able to marry and have kids with Lontok as well but they will only rule the area of Calatagan and Kumintang only and the area is only a puppet of the Bruneians, the island would be split into two confederacies, the Sapa, led by the rulers of Namayan and Lihan and the Selurong which is subordinated to the Bolkiahs.

On 1521, Magellan landed on Butuan and Leyte causing the Christianization of these areas which he called as the Islands of San Lazarus, he made friends with the ruler of Cebu as well but failed to woo Lapu Lapu.

In the Battle with Lapu Lapu, Magellan was able to survive and retreat to his ship and was able to land back to Mollucas, he was able to meet his surviving sons and daughters in Ambonia and one of his own daughters married to Enrique and he did not return to Spain, however, a part of the crew did return to Spain, completing the first attempt to circumnavigate the world.

Last edited:
A_lahar_on_the_east_side_of_Pinatubo_volcano.jpg

Lahar flow from Mt. Pinatubo..

The Shadow of Pinatubo
After the battle of Selurong and the death of Gambang of Tondo, the South of Selurong has been under the Bruneian influence while the North of Selurong has been under the rule of Sapa Confederacy whose powerful rulers are the rulers of Namayan and Lihan which seized out Tondo after the defeat of Gambang, the southern part is under Bruneian Rule.

The population that left the Pampanga floodplain for Burakan and Tondo made the area more stronger, the refugees that left to Southern Sambal Area also slightly changed the area the minority of the refugees left for Kahayan, Sambal and Kaboloan areas.

The Sapa Confederacy preferred missionaries from Java compared to the missionaries from Borneo which were sponsored by the Borneans, the Javanese missionaries would greatly outnumber the Bruneian ones in 1540’s when a push for islamization would be apparent.

On 1550, the Bruneian ruled parts of Selurong has been raided by the Sapa Confederacy which led to the expulsion of the Bruneian rulers in Selurong and the unification of the island.

Visayas and the remote mountains In Selurong would resist conversions to Islam(actually, it is only the Ilongots and the Central Cordillerans that don't convert), the kingdom of Butuan and Cebu became parts of the Spanish Empire since the visit of Magellan.
At this point, the Spanish knew of another route to the Spice islands and Butuan has been incorporated to the Spanish East Indies, there are also Spanish factories in Mollucas and the Spanish import Spice back to Spain, the Spice trade became profitable to the Spanish.

A_lahar_on_the_east_side_of_Pinatubo_volcano.jpg

Last edited:
Islamized Selurong and the Spaniards? Well, this will not end too well (if you're an OTL nationalist).

Islamized Selurong and the Spaniards? Well, this will not end too well (if you're an OTL nationalist).

I think this is good for the people of Luzon not the Philippines in General the actual people in Luzon don't relate with Visayans , in my next chapters I will focus on the other parts of the Philippines..this is a wank for the Luzonians and Mindanaoans..

in General the actual people in Luzon don't relate with Visayans , in my next chapters I will focus on the other parts of the Philippines..this is a wank for the Luzonians and Mindanaoans..
Well, except in the southwestern part (Comintanos of Calatagan, Taal, Tayabas and Ba-i)

I think this is good for the people of Luzon not the Philippines in General the actual people in Luzon don't relate with Visayans , in my next chapters I will focus on the other parts of the Philippines..this is a wank for the Luzonians and Mindanaoans..

I won't go far as saying Luzon pod 1500s under Islam is a wank compared to otl Luzon being controlled by Spain, I would say it is a nerf, tech and economic wise.

The tech and economic boost that Spanish gave in otl is still far superior that what Islamic Brunei will ever give.

I won't go far as saying Luzon pod 1500s under Islam is a wank compared to otl Luzon being controlled by Spain, I would say it is a nerf, tech and economic wise.

The tech and economic boost that Spanish gave in otl is still far superior that what Islamic Brunei will ever give.

It is a wank culturally wise..but Luzon retains its Javanese links....this also screws the Tagalogs and Ilocanos..

*La Naval de Manila intensifies*

Though I am looking forward to the Visayan-manned crusades. The City of the Most Holy Name of Jesus will be the bastion of Far Eastern Catholicism, as is only proper. :D:D:D

---

And if you want Spain to ignore the *Philippines completely, just give them Formosa. It's a hell of a lot easier to trade with China from there than from Manila.

Here, you're only setting up the Visayans as the principalia.

*La Naval de Manila intensifies*

Though I am looking forward to the Visayan-manned crusades. The City of the Most Holy Name of Jesus will be the bastion of Far Eastern Catholicism, as is only proper. :D:D:D

---

And if you want Spain to ignore the *Philippines completely, just give them Formosa. It's a hell of a lot easier to trade with China from there than from Manila.

Here, you're only setting up the Visayans as the principalia.

The visayans are in deep shit because the muslims are powerful pirates.

As if that stopped the Spaniards from subjugating them, making the Sultan of Sulu submit, and threaten the very existence of Brunei as an independent state before.

Nope, I think the Moro states have far more reason to worry.

I believe Spain is even more of threat in ATL. According to the kasumigenx, Spain acquired Moluccas. From a western strategic standpoint, anything from Moluccas to China should be subjugated or at least pacified, be friendly to the Spanish crown.

The first move of the Spanish would be to destroy any Islamic states in Luzon from a base point in Visayas, which happened in OTL.

From the base point of Moluccas, the first move of Spain would be to eradicate Sulu Sultanate and Brunei.

As if that stopped the Spaniards from subjugating them, making the Sultan of Sulu submit, and threaten the very existence of Brunei as an independent state before.

Nope, I think the Moro states have far more reason to worry.
The main reason why the Spanish never destroyed the Moros is because of a big revolt in Luzon, so a Sapa-Maguindanao alliance might do something against the Spanish..

I believe Spain is even more of threat in ATL. According to the kasumigenx, Spain acquired Moluccas. From a western strategic standpoint, anything from Moluccas to China should be subjugated or at least pacified, be friendly to the Spanish crown.

The first move of the Spanish would be to destroy any Islamic states in Luzon from a base point in Visayas, which happened in OTL.

From the base point of Moluccas, the first move of Spain would be to eradicate Sulu Sultanate and Brunei.
The Spanish has factories in Mollucas but are not ruling Mollucas, once spain acquires portugal they will have it completely but Ternte are allied with the Portuguese.

The biggest problem in Luzon in OTL is that there are collaborators with the Spanish in Luzon itself, in this TL this does not happen because the Bolkiahs are expelled and the people there support their rulers, Luzon will more or less end up in a situation that is between OTL Mindanao before Spanish occupation and OTL Sulawesi..

Since Sapa and Maguindanao are strong nemesis to the Spanish and also the Spanish will still acquire the Portuguese crown and the Portuguese East Indies their attention might move somewhere..i might have the Dutch seize the Philippines instead..

The Bruneians are screwed in this TL..I have no love for them...I will have a way for Sulu to survive..

Last edited:
The alliance of Sapa and Maguindanao

In 1550, during the a Spanish expedition, some Spaniards were able to go to the mouth of a big river (Pulangi) where they were informed by the inhabitants that the chief was called “Sarriparra”. This being a variation of “salipada” or “saripada”, it can be surmised that the chief was the Sharif Maka-alang; especially if it is considered that not only does a tarsila explicitly state that the Sharif had such a title but that such a title was not found among his immediate successors, it was said that Sapa and Maguindanao have good trading relations.

Since 1540, the people of the Maguindanao Confederacy confederation made a military and trading alliance with the people of Sapa Confederacy, the Sapa Confederacy and Maguindanao would be good allies and both brothers in Islam and brothers against the Bruneian agression against them and the future invaders.

note:

The Japanese might not even go in isolation in this TL...