The Road To Willa Cather Landing: GPUR General Election 2012

The campaign moves on we will look into some the "battleground races"..

And feel free to suggest some...We have 203 Electoral Districts...

Coming this week is the massive election guide..:)

The Big Board....Wednesday Spetember 5, 2012

The Campaign Tomorrow

Watts-Thune... President Watts and Vice President Thune will campaign in Oklahoma and attend the Minnesota Vikings-Oklahoma City Driller professional football game

Sebelius-Culver... Joint campaign swing through Iowa, Nebraska and the Dakotas

Largent-Kenney...Governor Largent will be campaignining in Oklahoma and Kansas

Mankiller-LeMere... Campaign stops scheduled in South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota

Wellstone-Stringer Campaigning in Iowa, Missouri and Kansas

HNN Headlines at this hour... 12 noon Central Summer Time -- Wednesday September 5, 2012

CAMPAIGN 2012 -- Watts: "Dallas is another example of why we need to continue beef up our military"

Sebelius hits the administration hard on foreign trade during Iowa campaign stop.

PPC Chairman says Largent "Spiteful" in newest PAP ad.

Largent's First Ad Surged Overnight Poll Numbers.

WORLD NEWS -- Pro-CSA group in Texas claims responsibility for Dallas bombing
-- Common Market finalizes debt restructure program for the "Debtor's Cartel"
-- Reform candidates sweep to victory in Kenyan elections
-- Iraqi Oil Minister accused of insider speculation
-- Brazil warns CSA on harassement in international waters

NATIONAL NEWS -- McDonnell Aviation to unveil newest transoceanic range airliner.

-- Grocery stores, package and liquors brace for football opening weekend

-- Nebraska and Kansas weather officials say summer drought could fortell a snowy winter.

BREAKING NEWS: GPUR Paralympic Volleyball team advances to gold medal final.

Coming Up on HNN -- Talkin' PFA Football w/Ed Podolak. The First Division opens tonight.

-- An interview with Archie Manning.

-- Glynnis Dotsch looks at the fall television lineup, and why Tyler Perry may have a sleeper hit.

Your world. Your news. This is HNN.

Last edited:
The Wichita Beacon- Afternoon Electronic Edition
Headlines
State News:
Kansas Gov. meets with PAP hopeful as campaign picks up steam
By Jennifer Smith
-Topeka-
Governor Phil Klein met today with fellow Governor and PAP Presidential challenger Steve Largent today after a well attended campaign rally this morning in Emporia. Klein, was seen by some as a possible contender for the Presidency nomination by the PAP, but after less than a full term as Governor, succeeding Bill Graves in the office back in 2010. Largent, alongside the Governor and MU Sam Brownback, spoke of Klein’s strong support of the Brownback Act, noting that the Unicameral member had first introduced similar legislation in the Kansas Senate almost a decade ago. Both Klein and Brownback have denounced the Compromise Act, with Governor Klein noting, “If only 2 states in this great nation cannot recognize the sanctity of life at conception, we must do whatever possible, through the legislative process, to protect those who do not have a voice.”

Business:
Stearman to announce rehiring with unveiling of new McDonnell passenger liner
By Bob Harden
-Wichita-
With the introduction of the new McDonnell M-78 passenger jet, their Wichita subsidiary, Stearman Aerosystems will be looking to ramp up production at their South Wichita assembly lines. After what can only be called a major falling out between Stearman and former design partners Douglas four years ago after a crippling strike by the Machinist Union that halted production for nearly 7 months, it was only been through refit work for the military that has kept the once proud company afloat. But with last year’s merger and today’s launch of the M-78, one of Flight City’s big guns looks to be reloading in a big way.

Sports:
While First Division gets the spotlight, lower division teams have been toiling away
By Art Belew
-Dodge City-
With kickoff of the PFA First Division hours away, some folks are preparing with barbecues or pizza feasts. But with both the second and third division seasons opening in the pre-election haze last weekend, it is just another night of business as usual for Dodge City Gunslinger Coach Brandon Clark. The former top wide receiver with the Wichita Warriors before a 2009 knee injury forced him to the sidelines Clark is entering only his second season in Dodge City and is looking to raise the profile of his team. After a hard fought 24-20 victory with the Ardmore Southmen, preparation is looking at Sunday’s clash against the relegated Springfield Mountaineers, who are coming off 4 straight years in the top division before last season’s injury plagued crash.

Thursday September 6, 2012 -- Campaign Stops

Noon Central Summer Time -- Thursday September 6, 2012.

HNN News at this hour...We're going to look in live on President J.C. Watts making an appearance at a rally for PPC candidates in downtown Kansas City...

"Kansas City....Kansas City here I come....Always good to be in K.C....and I hope K.C. comes for J.C. and the PPC.."

(crowd cheers)

"Kansas City has a lot to be proud of. A growing city, a beautiful place to be. Economic growth and progress, another shining light of the GPUR for the world.
And just think...In 2016, we will be lighting an Olympic torch at an all-new Arrowhead Stadium..."

(crowd cheers)

"We have come a long way together, Kansas City, and we have more to do. More growth, more development, more work to do together and that is why I need your help. I need your vote...and I need more PPC representative in our Unicameral, to keep the progress going here in metro Missouri and all across the country.."

Headlines Today.

-- Candidates hustle nationwide.
-- Watts in KC.
-- Largent calls for changes in Compromise Act
-- Sebelius pledges increases for tribal education
-- Wellstone proposes technology tax credit
-- Mankiller attacks Watts environmental policy, proposes a natural conservational trust

-- Italian President blasts Common Market over austerity proposal
-- Texas investigation continues
-- Peyton Manning leads Minnesota past defending champs in PFA opener.

Coming up on Campaign 2012 today:

-- The Battleground. What are some of the hot races to look at.
-- The Celebrity Ballot: Who do the A-listers support?
-- The Compromise Act Issue: An Inside Look.

Author Notes --FAQs and stuff

People are reading this thing...and that's never a bad thing.

A couple of notes on what's ahead

Ideas/"I wanna contribute" something..Please PM me. I love contributors. The only think I ask is please read or ask about canon or backstory..

The main thrust of this TL is an election, but while were here, life go on. People are going to go to work, and go home and turn on the idiot box or hit the cineplex or read books. Popular Culture will be discussed here..So I promise, there's going to be some tidbits from the popular culture, because pop culture has change.

As far as intensive backstory ("the history lesson") I'm going to limit it a little bit unless it directly pertain to story, but if you want to know more about a particular anything, PM me and I'll give you the full rundown directly from Prof E.D. Rochelle's North American History 400 class.

Debates: Audience Participation here

"The National Electoral Board's Committee on Presidential Debate has just announced the the topic of the first debate will be: Foreign Policy and National Defense"

With that in mind we encourage all citizens to suggest questions. One portion of the debate will be taken directly from audience question, and a seperate portion will be question taken from those who post them on MyStream, Friendsphere or Chirp!(1)

Please send a question and participate!

(1) ITTL's versions of YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter ;)

Radio Interlude...

That was Cross Canadian Ragweed with their latest chart topper here on the Radio Ranch, KFDI Wichita, FM 101.3. I’m your ranch hand for your drive time, Hank the Mechanic, and its 4:25. Weather today, brought to you by Jabbara’s Carpet Outlet, 6505 North Broadway. Here is KSN meteorologist, Leon Smitherman.

LS: Another hot one today folks. Highs temperatures are into the mid-to-upper 90’s. But tonight, that cool front we’ve been looking for finally comes in and it’s already bringing some rain into the western portions of the KFDI listening area out around Dodge City and Larned. Tonight, we cool down. Lows in the metro area in the upper 60’s. Out west, upper 50’s up around Goodland with low 60’s at Garden City and Dodge. From your KSN weather central on KFDI, I’m Leon Smitherman.

HtM: Thanks Leon. KFDI weather, brought to you by Jabbara’s Carpet Outlet. After a break, we’re back with the latest from Jason Boland and the Stragglers as well as the newest from Garth Brooks…

CLICK!!!!
1410 AM, KGSO… Its 4:30, back to the Hot Corner with Jay Sanderson

JS: We’re back here on the Hot Corner. I’m Jay Sanderson, and we’re just 90 minutes away from Wichita Braves coverage here on 1410 KGSO and the Braves Radio Network. Mike Kennedy and Phil Stephenson will be there with all the action. Remember, tonight in Old Timer’s night down at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium with special commemorative posters celebrating 30 years since the Miracle Braves chased down the St. Louis Browns to win the Cherokee Division and clinched their first PBA championship beating the Minneapolis Millers. Much of that run can be attributed to the man joining me now. He was part of the very dangerous team of Braves from the late 70’s and early 80’s. He was part of the Southland Express, Brave’s Hall of Fame second base man, Frank White. Frank, welcome to the show.

FW: Jay, good to be here and great to be back in Wichita.

JS: You came to baseball here in Wichita through what can only be described as difficult conditions. Can you tell us about the journey that brought you here?

FW: Well Jay, like a lot of young blacks, we grew up either in the ghettos of the Confederate cities or on the “Homeland” plots we were shoveled onto. Athletics in general were one of the few escapes out of this trap. My parents, God bless them, told me as much and my father after a day in the fields or the mills would get me out and make me work on my fielding, my hitting. In violation of the laws, he and my mother taught me to read and write. Everything was in preparation to getting me across the border before I was sent for work in the factories at 15. I made it to Southern Missouri with some help from some very good church folks, like a lot of us did then.

JS: You started playing organized ball at a refugee school and then what happened?

FW: Well, I was spotted by a scout for the Monarchs who offered to sign me at a bargain basement price of $4,000. He’d seen so many players coming up from the CS that he never expected one who was literate. When I asked him to read the contract, he balked and said his handshake was as good as a contract. When I to have the pastor of the school look at it to make sure it was fair, I was told “that if I was so uppity, no wonder I ran out of the CS before they shot me down in the street.” Right there I made a promise to myself that I would never play for Kansas City in my life as a ball player, no matter how much money they threw at me.

JS: But, was it 3 weeks later, the coach from Fort Scott Community College saw you play?

FW: That’s right Jay. The coach of the Greyhounds said he had heard about me from some folks and wanted to see if I was all they said I was, meaning educated. I took the EIA’s and came away with a scholarship to play baseball. My two years there polished my game and when the Monarchs came calling after those years, I turned them down and signed with the Braves.

JS: You played second base and developed a very respectable power swing for a middle infielder. But it was your situational hitting that was showcased when your fellow Express member, Ozzie Smith showed up in ’78.

FW: Heh, heh. The Wizard of Oz. Anything hit between us was a dead ball.

JS: Add that to the bats of left fielder Joel Youngblood and first baseman Mike Hargrove, you put it all together for the first of 7 championships Wichita has brought home in the past 30 years.

FW: I was very proud Jay to be part of the first title, just as I was the last one I was a part of six years ago as 1st base coach.

JS: I know you’ve moved on to manage the team in Topeka the past three seasons, I’m very glad we were able to have you here in a night off from those responsibilities.

FW: My job with the Senators wouldn’t be possible without the great years here in Wichita.

JS: That was Frank White, Braves hall of famer, who will be there tonight for the 30 year celebration. And this is the Hot Corner here on 1410 KGSO.

I felt compelled to make this.

gpur2.png

Last edited:
Thank you Sicarius...:)

I'm a writer not necessarily a graphic artist.

And this morning that flag is waving through a sports hall in London.

The Great Plains Leader in Sports Television...MetroSports, proud to the be one of your Olympic Networks for the 2016 Summer Olympics -- Kansas City, The World Is Coming!

"Good Morning from our Metro Sports Olympic Center in London. Welcome to Day 7 coverage of the International Paralympic Games, and this morning GPUR athletes take center stage...first in a critical Gold Medal Match in Sitting Volleyball. The GPUR National Team battles California for the gold medal.."

Last edited:
How is Country Music ITTL? (Those from Western parts would likely still be performing, though country could be different.) Is Nashville in the CSA? Were there still migrations from the South to places like Michigan to work in the auto industry?
And how is Taylor Swift and what is she doing? (If Nashville's in the CSA, she likely wouldn't be there...)

I don' t know about Chip, but I really see Kansas City taking the music capital role. KC already had a thriving jazz and blues scene. The recording infrastructure would be there and as the crossroads of the GPRU, any refugees from the CSA would probably look for work in the industry there.

On the little bit I did with music, the Country I talked about was Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas based. Doesn't mean that musical refugees wouldn't make there be a new Music City.

Actually Sphinks, you are not too far off.

Kansas City will become a music capital, not necessarily THE. A couple of posts I will be writing today will look at the shape music takes.

One of them will run on the GPBC 6 O'Clock News

Tonight on GPBC News At Six....Campaign 2012 and the Unions...Who has the workin' man's vote?

And the man who wrote our anthem is now working on a history in song...A Conversation with Prince Rogers Nelson, tonight on GPBC News at Six...

Friday September 7 -- Midday News Update from GPBC

wellstone dyersville.png

"You are watching GPBC News 24...At this hour, Lease Lobby Presidential Candidate Paul Wellstone hit J.C. Watts and Kathleen Sebelius hard for what he called "lack of action on climate change" during a campaign stop at an Iowa farm today. Citing the severe drought that has plagued the country from The Dakotas well into Texas, Wellstone says the drought is a sign that global warming is a threat.

PAUL WELLSTONE: "When you brown where there should be green. We you see 90 degree temperature for more than two weeks straight, its the earth is sending a message. The President, the PFL's candidate and certainly PAP candidate isn't going to discuss it. Well I won't just discuss it, put the Lobby in the charge in Omaha, and we will act and protect our earth and our nation's farmers.

Other Headlines

--Gingrich denies any CSA involvement in Dallas bombing
--OPEC to hold weekend summit in Houston
--Atlantic Maritimes officials complain to UN over IRNA naval war games
--GPUR Women's Sitting Volleyball team defeats California, wins Paralympic Gold Medal.

wellstone dyersville.png

BREAKING NEWS: GPUR is golden, again!

GPUR GOLD MEDAL.png

Good Evening, and welcome to MetroSports Zone...I'm Brad Porter....and I'm Chris Gough...a big day in Baseball...Ryan Howard is two steps closer to Maris after today's action hitting numbers 56 and 57 in Omaha....We preview some big college football action...and the full PFA First Division gets going...and we check in on Carl Edwards in the thick of the Formula 1 Title Race...but first...A big day for GPUR Paralympians in London!...7 medals won today including an emotional win in Sitting Volleyball....With more on that live from London, England...We have Kennetra Pulliams...Kennetra, it was a long time coming for this team...

"Brad, the GPUR Sitting Women's Volleyball team made it to the Paralympic gold medal game in 2004 and 2008, and both times lost to their biggest rival, the Californians. For team captain GPUR Army Colonel Ashley Hannaford of Sedalia, Missouri, this win was especially sweet. You saw her story here on Metro Sports. She's a veteran of the 2003 Border incursion(1) by the CSA and Eisenhower Medal winner(1) who lost a leg saving her mates. She took up the sport to help rehab from the wounds. She played in two heartbreaking Paralympic losses. The quest for this gold was personal battle..and today she played big as did the entire team to dominate a California squad the GPUR women have lost to in each of their last 8 meetings."

(1) 2003 Incursion -- After taking office in a coup against President Lamar Alexander in April 2003, CSA President Newt Gingrich begin a massing of forces leading to an invasion of Southeastern Missouri in September 2003 in protest of the GPUR setting up short range anti-personnel mortars along the border. The Incursion, and the ensuing conflict lasted to March 2004, with casualties on both side. Colonel Hannaford was wounded leading a protective action against advancing CSA platoons to help wounded troops get to safety. Her right leg was wounded gravely at the knee as she carried wounded troops to a medivac chopper. Reinforcements stopped the breach of the line, and Hannaford's action earned her the nation's highest military honor. Hannaford rehabbed from her wounds and returned to the GPUR Army where today she is an analyst with the GPUR Army general staff at the Department of Defense in Omaha. She is also a rehab coach for the GPUR Paralympic Committee's "Get In The Game" initiative to help kids and adults with disabilities.

(2) Eisenhower Medal -- The GPUR's highest military honor.

GPUR GOLD MEDAL.png

Last edited:
The Wichita Beacon - Friday Afternoon Electronic Edition

News:
Cooler weather has Fair expecting record crowds
By Jodi Buchannan
Much cooler temperatures have arrived just in time for the organizers at the Kansas State Fair, which kicks off in Hutchinson today. Expected highs in the upper 70’s this weekend and forecasted 80 degree temperatures for the upcoming week should help bring larger than expected crowds, especially after the record heat earlier this summer. Fair board director Mary Treaster said requests for tickets to weekend events, including the State Fair Classic dirt track races Saturday and Monday night’s concert by Texan recording sensation Selena, have gone through the roof, almost selling out.
Other major events scheduled for tomorrow include the annual corn dog eating contest at noon and a campaign stop by Lease Lobby Presidential challenger Paul Wellstone.

Entertainment
Fair show first for Selena after 5 years away
By Lisa Shaw
One of the biggest acts on the radio and in concert for 20 years south the border in Texas and Mexico, Selena Quintanilla, or simply Selena to her hoards of fans is making her first GPUR appearance at the Kansas State fair Monday night, marking her return to the stage after an extended break. “I needed to focus my time on my family and creating music that I felt captured where I am in my life today,” the singer noted in a Texas Press Association interview conducted 3 weeks ago. “My children had seen their mother as a star, not as a mom.” Already a superstar in her native Texas as well as in Mexico, California, and the Southwest, she is branching out in to less heavily Hispanic areas. Her self-titled double album from 2000 showed her singing chops were not limited with a mixture of 20 tracks alternating between the more familiar Spanish to English, which she revealed is her native language. Only a scattering of tickets are still available as when word of this show was released in May, fans from across the Red River and the Rio Grande clamored for the opportunity to see a true icon.

Sports
Wichita to face newly promoted North Stars in PFA opener
By Mitch Rucker
The 2012 campaign for the Wichita Warriors opens up Sunday at Coleman Field as the newly promoted Duluth North Stars come to town. Leading rusher Jake Sharpe returns to the Warrior backfield as he and Ell Roberson look to bring the offense back to the form of the 2010 team that finished runners up in the first division. The Defense is still anchored by the veterans Terrance Newman, John McGraw, and Nick Reid. The North Stars counter with newly acquired former Vikings QB Sage Rosenfels and Darren McFadden, the ground pounding back that carried Duluth to promotion. Kickoff Sunday is at 2:30 pm and will be telecast on Metro Sports in the area.

GPBC News At Six: An Evening With Prince Rogers Nelson

6:50pm Central Summer Time -- September 7, 2012

"Welcome back to GPBC News at Six...Looking at the top stories around our world tonight. The GPUR Presidential campaign saw pointed statements over climate change. Paul Wellstone in an Iowa campaign stop said the PPC and PFL are dragging their feet on the issue. President J.C. Watts was touring federal emergency areas affected by the drought in Nebraska. Kathleen Sebelius, speaking in Missouri today, unveiled a new proposal to deal with climate change.

In Minnesota today, Wilma Mankiller speaking to a large crowd at the University of Minnesota told students only a forward-thinking party can deal with the climate change emergency.

And Steve Largent campaigning with PAP candidates in Western Nebraska said more study needs to be put in before we start looking at remedies.

In the continuing Texas bombing investigation, a rare word from Atlanta tonight. Confederate President Newton Gingrich said on the CSA's CBN Network that 'The Confederate States of America is not a party to the tragic loss of life in the Sovereign Republic of Texas."

Atlantic Maritime naval vessels and IRNA naval vessels are tensely observing each other off the coast of Newfoundland today. The action comes after the Maritimes' Ambassdor to the United Nations lodge a formal complaint concerning IRNA naval exercises in a disputed sealane between the countries. IRNA government official say their ships are in international waters and are not threatening the freedom of the seas of the neighboring country.

On the light side of the news. A big day for GPUR Paralympians, as Team GPUR tallied seven medals in competition today, and 4 golds, including a victory by the Women's Sitting Volleyball team, who defeated longtime rival California.

PRINCE ROGERS NELSON.png

Finally tonight, Prince Rogers Nelson is many different things to many people. To fans the world over, he's a sensual singer that fuses many types of music together and makes it all seamless.

At another level he's a fusion of rock, funk and new wave R&B that built what is known as the "Twin Cities Sound"....who also threw us all for a loop by becoming a renowned classical conductor who leads the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra.

He is the man decried by some as obscene...but at the same time wrote our national anthem.

With his annual Concert for Conscience coming two weeks away, featuring a lineup poised to be the biggest in the concert's now 20 year history, we get a rare sit down with a music man, who now aims to be a historian. Working on a project to tell the story of a nation and its music.

REG: Prince, on top of of albums, symphony appearances, being known the world over, and planning the Concert of Conscience, you found time to also research over 70 years of music...What's the project and why has it been under wraps?

PRN: I've been working on this on and off for the last 15 years or so. Bits and pieces. Talking to people traveling even getting film crews and interviews for it. Maybe five years ago, when I was touring in Europe. I ran into Quincy Jones in Vienna..and we traded notes and he got involved...and then it was last year. Quincy and I connected with Tyler Perry and the next thing you know, Tyler's getting more info and what I figured would be a book someday, is turning into a documentary series

REG: How much music history have you unearthed and what is the thrust for all this research

PRN: Fascination, Reg. Fascinated with where all this creativeness we see in music has come from in this country. People credit me with creating a sound, but my creation, if you want to call it that comes from so much that came before me. Just in my home there was my mother and father. My dad was a jazz musician, who was born at the time of the separation, and there was so much before him and so much as I was growing up. We saw an influx of music as I was in the 60s. We saw so much jazz and blues with a story of survival...and country, and folk music and protest music especially. You look you history and you find that hard times has been mother of thought creation and for a young country like this one, we've seen hard times.

REG: In the travels, beyond tours you've been all over the place. And you've toured some very interesting places. Your "Denim and Boots" tour three years ago had your longtime fans scratching their heads.

PRN: It was for the project. I went to Lubbock because that were the the information was. And I found out some great thing and was able to get access to the original Buddy Holly connection. I've always had a fascination for what was a holy trinity almost. Buddy, Ray Charles, Elvis Presley. At a time when this nation needed a smile, they gave us one. "My dad and mom played 'Wha'd I Say' when I was in my crib..And then there was the 60s and all that music that had to fight for it life to be song. The blues, and the outlaw country which was about lament and hurt and missing a home that was willing to lose you rather get itself right.

REG: Is that why you've constantly reached out to Free Nashville performers?

PRN: Absolutely, and I'm glad that acts like George Strait and Willie Nelson are getting up here. Hopefully that can keep an eye on that Kinky Friedman, dude. I'm especially happy Toby Keith's coming and that Taylor Swift will be able to get a visa to get here. And Selena called us a couple of days ago...and I love her...and I want to do a project with her and we can get the scheduled to coordinate

REG: You get to work with all the beautiful women (laughs)

PRN: (smiles) of course

REG: Toby Keith said recently that he was coming because 'Anything for a fellow vet who's seen what I've seen.' That was in the news recently. You talking about your experience in the Border Conflict in '81. You wrote an album about it...But what compelled you to go public and talk about it.

PRN: Catharsis. Right after I returned from the border conflicts...I went back and wrote music...But I never really came to grips with it. My experiences are what led to 'Paisley Park'

REG: That album had many songs about what how interpreted what you saw.

PRN: You could see it that way, but really I talked about it, but didn't. I wrote music about it but I needed to eventually say the words and speaks the emotions. Music in that instance was an escape, but to talk about the memories put things in focus. At that moment, this project really made sense, because the music brought back the times. Every time I hear Toby Keith's remake of "You Taught Me How To Cry" it takes me back to those times, because of that song. That was when Johnny Cash made a remake of it and it was sad angry paean to the futility of what we saw.

REG: Among music today, what are you seeing?

PRN: The next wave is emerging. Dance music in Europe which is taking on so many styles, and using the Minneapolis sound and the Kansas City sound and bringing both into a new day. Some of top techno acts will be coming here to play. I'm digging what's coming from Scandinavia. And of course you hit every club and you hear that spicy Reggaeton and the Dancehall. That fusion with that raw intensity that your getting from the New York kids being deposed and exiled and fleeing the Fortess America. And what they've done to pay homage to the originals who fleed to Cuba and mingled their sound with the Latin beat. Name a person who doesn't groove to some Jaime Brown. Long before me, EWF, Morris, Dez, all my friends....There was the Original Creators...The Original Soul Men.. Jaime, Wilson Pickett, and the Jazz men who survived to get to Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Omaha and Austin.

Today, You hear some Kris Parker or some Queen Dana cuts and its a charge to see that, and seeing a West Coast style come across the Canal and add a Kansas City twist two it, and then see Japanese kids twist it all up with a touch of the old days in Japan and it a mosaic. Its a beautiful mosaic, its a shame that in some way its taken disposession and conflict and inhumanity to birth these beautiful creation. That is the story of our musical heritage yesterday, today, tomorrow.

REG: Now, lets have an answer --- Is their a clash between Minneapolis and Kansas City when it comes to soul-funk-R&B. The Kansas City boys say that Minneapolis is too esoteric and Minneapolis kids say Kansas City is "Minstrel Music" etc...As an elder statesman at 54..

PRN: (laughs) Dang, Reg...Just call me old.

REG: I'm not trying to get you like that, but talk about the rivalry..

PRN: It's not rivalry..Its creative tension. First, its these youngbucks. You know how you get when your young and hot-headed..I was young and hot-headed. But you know..Without Kansas City, there is no Minneapolis sound. My dad cut his teeth in KC. True Motown was reborn in KC. Neo-Soul is finding a life in KC, and extending it on. I look at Cats like Tower of Power back when I was young and now the brother who was Cal Navy who is fusing all the KC Jazz, the great Jaime Brown and some of my stuff into that smoothed out L.A. Style..

REG: You're talking about Dre-Cee-Oh

PRN: Yes! We're working on getting them here. They are on tour in Asia right now, but we're working seeing if they can get in. I like their grove and respect they give our groove.

REG: I want to wrap up, switching gears. We have ana election coming up. Now in the past you've been quiet you talk about the state of world often in your music, but what made you go public and support Paul Wellstone.

PRN: I've always supported Paul, and I've always supported the Lease Lobby, I've held fundraisers for the Lobby. Back when I was younger, I was more about privacy, but I had thought and beliefs, and when I heard Paul speak..I made it a point to go talk to him...and what was wild was, he really to meet me. He was a fan. I never thought he'd be fan, but he is...Anyway, I really like that he fights for all people, he fights for new ideas and moving forward. He's a person talking about truly bringing peace and bringing justice. Peace is something that is close to me, because I've seen war. I haven't just sung about it. I wore a uniform. I carried a rifle. I shot at another human being. I see those things in my sleep. I don't want another young person to see what I saw when I was 22-23 years old in places like St. Croix...in those forests wondering who you were shooting at. When you hear and see thing like the bluster coming from that man in the IRNA and how Atlanta is bombing people in hotels and what they did to Tammy Wynette...Its brings out the blues sensibility but also the determination to seek a better day. I see that in Paul, and that's why I'm behind him. I hope he can make it to the show, and to Willa Cather Landing.

And that's our world for tonight, Friday September 7, 2012... I'm Reginald Chapman, for all of us at GPBC News...Goodnight and have a good weekend.

PRINCE ROGERS NELSON.png

Last edited:
Some messages on the Grinnell College TARGA (Tactical And Role Games Association) Freindsphere page

Need a couple of players for regular Platoon Leader (1) games on Sundays. Mail: PLTAhrens.GED

Regular E&T (2) campaign Thursday nights in Younker Hall. Mail: Alex.Gygax2.GED

For Sale: vintage collection of GPW (3) RGs: Twilight 1999, Space Travels, Musketeers - $50 or best offer. Mail: M.Miller.GED

Announcement: RoadWar Tourney next weekend! Steve Austin Games (4) has put up a $25 gift coupon for the winner!

1: TTL's version of Avalon Hill's classic Squad Leader game.

2: Empire & Throne, MAR Barker's classic Role Game, and the grand daddy of them all.

3: Game Player's Workshop - any gaming geek should recognize the titles...

4: TTL's CarWars...

INTERMISSION -- The world comes to the Plains, Summer of '16

Copenhagen, Denmark -- October 2, 2009

"The International Olympic Committee Awards the games of the 31st Summer Olympiad to be held in the year 2016 to....Kansas City, Great Plains United Republic!!!!

KCMO 2016.png

Olympic Sites ITTL

Summer Games

1912 Stockholm, Sweden
1916 Berlin, Germany
1920 Antwerp, Belgium
1924 Paris, France
1928 Amsterdam, Netherlands
1932 Los Angeles, California USA
1936 No games -- Great depression
1940 No games -- Anglo/Nazi War
1944 Stockholm, Sweden
1948 London, United Kingdom
1952 Helsinki, Finland
1956 Melbourne, Australia
1960 Rome, Italy
1964 No games -- Trade Wars
1968 Buenos Aires, Argentina
1972 Tokyo, Japan
1976 Paris, France
1980 Moscow, USSR
1984 Los Angeles, California
1988 Jakarta, Malayan Union
1992 Helsinki, Scandinavian Union
1996 Rio de Janiero, Brazil
2000 Sydney, Australia-New Zealand Federation
2004 Johannesburg-Cape Town, South Africa
2008 Seoul, Korea
2012 London, United Kingdom
2016 Kansas City, GPUR
2020 Finalists: Nairobi, Kenya, Gothenburg, Scandinavian Union or Christchurch, Australia-New Zealand Federation

Winter Games
1924 Chamonix, France
1928 St. Moritz, Switzerland
1932 Lake Placid, New York USA
1936 No Games -- Great Depression
1940 No Games-- Anglo/Nazi War
1944 St. Moritz, Switzerland
1948 Oslo Norway
1952 Chamonix, France
1956 Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy
1960 Squaw Valley, California
1964 No Games -- Trade War
1968 Grenoble, France
1972 Sapporo, Japan
1976 Innbruck, Southern Germany
1980 Sarajevo, Bosnia
1984 Zermatt, Switzerland
1988 Denver, Rocky Mountain Republic
1992 Albertville, France
1994 Lillehammer, Scandinavian Union
1998 Nagano, Japan
2002 Calgary, Rocky Mountain Republic
2006 Turin , Italy
2010 Vancouver, California
2014 Santiago-Portillo, Chile
2018 Pyeongchang, Korea
2022 Finalists: Sarajevo, Bosnia, Salt Lake City, MR Utah, or Sochi, USSR

KCMO 2016.png

Last edited:
Saturday September 8, 2012 7:00am Central Summer Time-- Shuttle "Pathfinder"

From our studios in Houston, we cover the world. This is CNN.

SHUTTLE LAUNCH.png

"We have liftoff....Liftoff of the mission of the Space Shuttle Pathfinder. Another joint mission of the North American Space Agency...This mission carries a scientific payload to the Tereshkova-Ride International Space Station...This mission is in loving memory of the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, who passed away this week."

CNN will also have live coverage of a Press Conference later with President Rice-Hill and DallasBank CEO William Clinton, who was injured in the hotel bombing in Downtown Dallas earlier this week.

In other news at this hour, we are receiving reports of anti-government demonstrations in Little Rock, Arkansas...We are gathering information and will have more later.

Two major summit meetings get underway in North America. OPEC minister meet in Houston today, there is speculation that production quotas will increase. And in San Francisco, pacific nations meet to discuss peacekeeping efforts in Asia. Yesterday California President Jerry Brown met with Hawaii Foreign Minister Barack Obama regarding the renewal of basing rights for Californian Navy.

Apple Computer announced this morning that the long-awaited MacPhone 5 will hit the stores in September 22nd, and the Cupertino, California based-firm released that a rumored entry into the competitive videogame console market will happen this holiday season with a console co-developed by Apple and Nintendo of Japan. We will have Apple CEO Steve Wozniak on later this morning with more details.

About CNN: Ted Turner's family moved from Ohio to Texas when Ted was nine. Ted's father got in the advertising business and like most people Texas into the energy. Ted Turner took over his father's business and used the money to start Turner Broadcasting System in 1970, beginning with buying a Houston television station that would become SuperStation KTBS. In 1973, Turner scored a major coup with winning broadcast rights for Southwest Conference Football and the Houston Astros Baseball.
In 1976, Turner received permission form the governments of Texas, the Southwest Confederation, Rocky Mountain Republic and the Great Plains to broadcast content via satellite to cable television providers, effectively starting cable television west of the Mississippi.

Turner's greatest ambition was a 24-hour news operation. His ambition came to life on June 1, 1980 as Cable News Network went on the air from their Houston studios. CNN had live footage of a major story on their first day, covering GPUR air strike against invading IRNA troops on the Missouri-Illinois border at the start of the 1980-1981 Border Crisis between the two nations.

Today Turner continues to run what has become a media empire from Houston, when he's not on his ranches in West Texas and Montana or his Catalina island beach house. He is happily married to firebrand Hightower Times columnist Molly Ivins.

SHUTTLE LAUNCH.png

Last edited: