Who should become the first president of new england?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well looks like Russia is in its way to massive humiliation as the Ottomans are inflicting defeat after defeat on multiple fronts on land against the numerically superior Russians with a large section of territory in open revolt.

Still this might kick Russia into reform that will make them into a more dangerous powerhouse much earlier.

Still the early naval victory should allow Russia to keep the Franch and British fleets out of the Black Sea as long as they don't mess up badly. I'm honestly curious what's going to happen in the east and how it will affect Japan. For Russia, France and the UK the East Asia front will be a sideshow, for Japan they will be fighting side by side with a European power against two others which could lead to interesting developments.

Last edited:
I am wondering if defeat here ITTL will kickstart Russia's development.
Nicholas I will have to leave of course. The autocrat was famous for his development stoppage
i also wonder if Jackson will get up too something with France and Britain distracted. I can't see Jackson attacking the BNA or the British vassals. But aparently Louisiana and the Union have multiple conflicts. This might be the time with Britain likely ordering its people in North America to not fire unless fired upon, and New Orlean's friends in pAris and St Petersburg preoccupied.
News will soon arrive to the new world about a new war between the great powers..........and Louisiana is going to be very worried.

Well looks like Russia is in its way to massive humiliation as the Ottomans are inflicting defeat after defeat on multiple fronts on land against the numerically superior Russians with a large section of territory in open revolt.
Indeed. Mahmud II leaves behind a massive legacy even after his death; namely his well-equipped and powerful army
Still this might kick Russia into reform that will make them into a more dangerous powerhouse much earlier.
Possibly
Still the early naval victory should allow Russia to keep the Franch and British fleets out of the Black Sea as long as they don't mess up badly. I'm honestly curious what's going to happen in the east and how it will affect Japan. For Russia, France and the UK the East Asia front will be a sideshow, for Japan they will be fighting side by side with a European power against two others which could lead to interesting developments.
Indeed, it will take months for news of the war to reach Japan, but if they do or do not respect their alliance with Russia is up to debate......

just a question, if Japan does become involved, what do you think will happen militarily? Britain does own Taiwan, however, a naval invasion during this time was around guaranteed at about 90% to be a failure, so i dont think the British will undertake an invasion. A Blockade is more likely in my opinion.

just a question, if Japan does become involved, what do you think will happen militarily? Britain does own Taiwan, however, a naval invasion during this time was around guaranteed at about 90% to be a failure, so i dont think the British will undertake an invasion. A Blockade is more likely in my opinion.

I'd say the initial thrusts would be attacking French Sakhalin and the Ryukyu Kingdom. After that attempting to Blockade Taiwan might be in the cards.

I think Japan would be inclined to honor their alliance. Their list of potential allies is thin, and stands to grow thinner if they re seen to welch I would say. China is another possible ally, but could pose a risk if that giant awakens next door.

So I think Japan will support Russia, merely a question of how much.

I'd say the initial thrusts would be attacking French Sakhalin and the Ryukyu Kingdom. After that attempting to Blockade Taiwan might be in the cards.

I think Japan would be inclined to honor their alliance. Their list of potential allies is thin, and stands to grow thinner if they re seen to welch I would say. China is another possible ally, but could pose a risk if that giant awakens next door.

So I think Japan will support Russia, merely a question of how much.
Hm, a likely event if i say so myself......however the British Pacific Fleet still far outnumbers the and outshines the Japanese fleet for it blockade taiwan.

I am wondering how well the militarization of Louisiana will go over with the populace. Higher taxes are likely in play to fund it and introducing a new to the region idea like mandatory conscription will raise hackles. Combine that with the fact the new king is not as popular as his father or late brother and we might see a new opposition party form.

Speaking of which, I expect the crown prince dying in a conflict with the Native nations saw some souring in that quarter.

I am wondering how well the militarization of Louisiana will go over with the populace. Higher taxes are likely in play to fund it and introducing a new to the region idea like mandatory conscription will raise hackles. Combine that with the fact the new king is not as popular as his father or late brother and we might see a new opposition party form.
indeed it will not be particularly liked
Speaking of which, I expect the crown prince dying in a conflict with the Native nations saw some souring in that quarter.
oh it will!

Barring a major upset I can't see this ending well for Russia. It seems set on how badly they will lose.

Also Austria, can't say I like the name Danubia, seems to have had an oddly good number of outcomes lately. I am guessing bad luck will start to darken their door again soonish.

How goes French and other powers colonization efforts in the Pacific? Britain has akready been cutting back as result of ocverxtension. Though that will be alleviated significantly I expect once the transcontinental line is done tying the Empire closer together. "As of today a man can board a train in sight of the Saint Lawrence, and not set foot on the ground until the Pacific is in sight. A glorious day for not only Queen and Country, but for all humanity."

Barring a major upset I can't see this ending well for Russia. It seems set on how badly they will lose.
we will see......
Also Austria, can't say I like the name Danubia, seems to have had an oddly good number of outcomes lately. I am guessing bad luck will start to darken their door again soonish.
That they will.....backlash is coming.....
How goes French and other powers colonization efforts in the Pacific? Britain has akready been cutting back as result of ocverxtension. Though that will be alleviated significantly I expect once the transcontinental line is done tying the Empire closer together. "As of today a man can board a train in sight of the Saint Lawrence, and not set foot on the ground until the Pacific is in sight. A glorious day for not only Queen and Country, but for all humanity."
Yeah, britain is taking the backseat until their logistics can come up to par.

Population Update (discounting possible colonies)
1. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: 24 million
England and Wales: 16.6 million
Scotland: 3.1 million
Ireland: 4.3 million
2. Kingdom of France: 35 Million
3. Kingdom of Spain: 12.7 Million
4. United Kingdom of Portugal, the Algarves and Amazonia: 6.7 million
5. Kingdom of the Netherlands: 3.4 million
6. Kingdom of Prussia: 16 Million
7. Danubian Empire: 32 Million
8. United Kingdom of Sweden-Norway: 4.2 million

Sweden: 2.8 million
Norway: 1.4 million
9. Kingdom of Denmark: 1.1 million
10. Russian Empire: 47 Million
11. Ottoman Empire: 29 Million

European portion of the empire: 9 million
asian portion of the empire: 17 million
african portion of the empire: 1 million
12. Tian Dynasty (china): 416 million
13. Tokugawa Shogunate: 24 million
14. Empire of the Himalayas: 4.7 million
15. Qajar Persia: 11 million
16. British North America: 1.9 million
17. Commonwealth of New England: 2.9 million
18. United American Union: 11 million
19. Kingdom of Louisiana: 1.2 million
20. Kingdom of Mishigama: 1 million
21. Empire of Mexico: 11.3 million
22. Empire of Brazil: 6 million
23. Kingdom of Argentina: 4 million
24. Republic of Paraguay: 1 million
25. Spanish Colonial Empire in the New World: 41 million

The population difference is a good reminder of why the union is regarded as the dreaded sill by many on the continent. Though a good portion of that 11 million would be slaves.

Though by the same extension Louisiana has a portion of its 1.2 million as slaves too.

Dang, I didn't realize how much Tokugawa Japan had to throw around.

I felt pretty honoured that you included French (attempts at) Sakhalin.

I thought it only fair I look into the feasibility of it a bit more. And the more I read, the more I wonder why no other European colonial powers made a grab for it IOTL. There's always speculation about Taiwan becoming a European colony, but very little focus on Sakhalin.

To put it into perspective, IOTL the Trans-Siberian Railroad wasn't completed until 1891. Steamboats didn't start operating on the Amur River until 1870. Then, of course, Sakhalin is a boat-ride away. I read this when considering how long it would take a horse to travel from Moscow to Siberia and this on 'demand and design' when considering how accessible the region was prior to the Trans-Siberian Railroad. I think that you're correct in that it would take the French less time to reach Sakhalin from India than the Russians from 'Russia proper,' @Sārthākā .

Of course the Russians did have a naval presence in the Pacific during this time. Here's what Wikipedia tells us:

"In 1731, the Imperial Russian Navy created the Okhotsk Military Flotilla (Охотская военная флотилия, Okhotskaya voyennaya flotiliya) under its first commander, Grigoriy Skornyakov-Pisarev, to patrol and transport government goods to and from Kamchatka. In 1799, 3 frigates and 3 smaller ships were sent to Okhotsk under the command of Rear-Admiral I. Fomin to form a functioning military flotilla. In 1849, Petropavlovsk-na-Kamchatke became the Flotilla's principal base, which a year later would be transferred to Nikolayevsk-on-Amur and later to Vladivostok in 1871. In 1854, the men of the Flotilla distinguished themselves in the defense of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy during the Crimean War, (1853–1856). In 1856, the Okhotsk Military Flotilla changed its name to the "Siberian Military Flotilla" (Сибирская военная флотилия, Sibirskaya voyennaya flotiliya)."

So there is a small Russian flotilla there, but IOTL it was defeated by the British and French in the OTL Crimean War. This caused me to read up about the Siege of Petropavlovsk. Here we learn from the background of the battle:

"The primary concern of the Anglo-French allies was that cruisers of the Russian Siberian flotilla would operate against British and French trade in the area. The British force on the station was under Rear-Admiral David Price (newly promoted after serving as post captain for 39 years) and the French under Rear-Admiral Auguste Febvrier-Despointes. On 9 May 1854 the bulk of the British and French squadrons were at Callao, Peru when they received orders to operate against the Russian cruisers in the Pacific. There were three potential bases for the Russians: the island of Novo-Arkhangelsk, capital of Russian America (modern Alaska), Okhotsk on the Sea of Okhotsk, and the largest Russian settlement on the Pacific Coast, Petropavlovsk on the Kamtchatka Peninsula. Given the importance of allied trade with California, two British frigates (Trincomalee and Amphitrite) and a French corvette (Artemise) were detached to cruise off that coast and defend the California trade. The remaining vessels (British frigates President and Pique, the British sloop Virago, the French frigate Forte, the French corvette Eurydice and the French aviso Obligado) set out to hunt down the Russian ships in the Pacific. These six ships were crewed by roughly 1,700 men and mounted 200 guns."

I feel then that French Sakhalin makes sense as it would indeed provide a base for them in the Pacific from where they could protect their trade in the area. It's also possible for the British and French to be victorious in the region, despite its remoteness.

There will be huge butterflies from this though. From the Russians relocating their flotilla from Kamchatka to Amur or Vladivostock, to an earlier establishment of a Trans-Siberian Route, to possibly even the selling of Alaska due to it being perceived as indefensible - IOTL Crimean War Novo-Arkhangelsk (Sitka) was taken in the conflict and one of the reasons Alaska was sold was to stop it falling to the British.

Lots and lots of fun things you can do with French Sakhalin.

I would say that maybe more needs to be said about the Russo-Japanese Alliance ITTL though. This alliance predates the OTL Treaty of Shimoda by 15 years and would be quite significant. I think it certainly warrants more than "because the French land at Sakhalin the Russians and Japanese sign an alliance." Does TTL treaty define the borders Japan and Russia want/claim in Sakhalin? Or are they both renouncing their claims, admitting the French have taken Sakhalin, and now just being pissed off at the French?

Sorry I'm quiet, I'm just enjoying unemployed life now. I also promised a member called Jordi that I'd help him with some grammar stuff, but lost my original message to him and need to rewrite. That's my next job.

Northstar

I felt pretty honoured that you included French (attempts at) Sakhalin.

I thought it only fair I look into the feasibility of it a bit more. And the more I read, the more I wonder why no other European colonial powers made a grab for it IOTL. There's always speculation about Taiwan becoming a European colony, but very little focus on Sakhalin.

To put it into perspective, IOTL the Trans-Siberian Railroad wasn't completed until 1891. Steamboats didn't start operating on the Amur River until 1870. Then, of course, Sakhalin is a boat-ride away. I read this when considering how long it would take a horse to travel from Moscow to Siberia and this on 'demand and design' when considering how accessible the region was prior to the Trans-Siberian Railroad. I think that you're correct in that it would take the French less time to reach Sakhalin from India than the Russians from 'Russia proper,' @Sārthākā .

Of course the Russians did have a naval presence in the Pacific during this time. Here's what Wikipedia tells us:

"In 1731, the Imperial Russian Navy created the Okhotsk Military Flotilla (Охотская военная флотилия, Okhotskaya voyennaya flotiliya) under its first commander, Grigoriy Skornyakov-Pisarev, to patrol and transport government goods to and from Kamchatka. In 1799, 3 frigates and 3 smaller ships were sent to Okhotsk under the command of Rear-Admiral I. Fomin to form a functioning military flotilla. In 1849, Petropavlovsk-na-Kamchatke became the Flotilla's principal base, which a year later would be transferred to Nikolayevsk-on-Amur and later to Vladivostok in 1871. In 1854, the men of the Flotilla distinguished themselves in the defense of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy during the Crimean War, (1853–1856). In 1856, the Okhotsk Military Flotilla changed its name to the "Siberian Military Flotilla" (Сибирская военная флотилия, Sibirskaya voyennaya flotiliya)."

So there is a small Russian flotilla there, but IOTL it was defeated by the British and French in the OTL Crimean War. This caused me to read up about the Siege of Petropavlovsk. Here we learn from the background of the battle:

"The primary concern of the Anglo-French allies was that cruisers of the Russian Siberian flotilla would operate against British and French trade in the area. The British force on the station was under Rear-Admiral David Price (newly promoted after serving as post captain for 39 years) and the French under Rear-Admiral Auguste Febvrier-Despointes. On 9 May 1854 the bulk of the British and French squadrons were at Callao, Peru when they received orders to operate against the Russian cruisers in the Pacific. There were three potential bases for the Russians: the island of Novo-Arkhangelsk, capital of Russian America (modern Alaska), Okhotsk on the Sea of Okhotsk, and the largest Russian settlement on the Pacific Coast, Petropavlovsk on the Kamtchatka Peninsula. Given the importance of allied trade with California, two British frigates (Trincomalee and Amphitrite) and a French corvette (Artemise) were detached to cruise off that coast and defend the California trade. The remaining vessels (British frigates President and Pique, the British sloop Virago, the French frigate Forte, the French corvette Eurydice and the French aviso Obligado) set out to hunt down the Russian ships in the Pacific. These six ships were crewed by roughly 1,700 men and mounted 200 guns."

I feel then that French Sakhalin makes sense as it would indeed provide a base for them in the Pacific from where they could protect their trade in the area. It's also possible for the British and French to be victorious in the region, despite its remoteness.

There will be huge butterflies from this though. From the Russians relocating their flotilla from Kamchatka to Amur or Vladivostock, to an earlier establishment of a Trans-Siberian Route, to possibly even the selling of Alaska due to it being perceived as indefensible - IOTL Crimean War Novo-Arkhangelsk (Sitka) was taken in the conflict and one of the reasons Alaska was sold was to stop it falling to the British.

Lots and lots of fun things you can do with French Sakhalin.

I would say that maybe more needs to be said about the Russo-Japanese Alliance ITTL though. This alliance predates the OTL Treaty of Shimoda by 15 years and would be quite significant. I think it certainly warrants more than "because the French land at Sakhalin the Russians and Japanese sign an alliance." Does TTL treaty define the borders Japan and Russia want/claim in Sakhalin? Or are they both renouncing their claims, admitting the French have taken Sakhalin, and now just being pissed off at the French?

Sorry I'm quiet, I'm just enjoying unemployed life now. I also promised a member called Jordi that I'd help him with some grammar stuff, but lost my original message to him and need to rewrite. That's my next job.

Northstar
In my opinion the British seem to be the most likely people to take the Island other than the Russians or the Japanese.

Chapter 45: Let Us Fight!
Chapter 45: Let Us Fight!

“……After defeating Prince Gorchakov at the Battle of Buzau, the Ottoman army under Heyreddin Pasha paused. There was a three-fold reason for this. First and foremost, Heyreddin Pasha did not wish to pursue the Russians for he didn’t know the troop placements of the Russians, and the Russian reinforcements could ambush his army with ease if he underestimated them. Second of all, the logistical support of the Ottoman army was waning, and supplies were falling low over the flurry of the war. As such, he had to stop to allow the caravans of supplies some amount of military support as well. The final reason was because even though war had been declared, backdoor negotiations were taking place between the Ottoman Empire and the Russian Empire regarding a probable withdrawal of Russian troops from Moldavia. News had also arrived of the disastrous Battle of Sinop in which the Russian navy devastated the Ottoman Black Sea fleet, making the Ottoman supply situation even worse, as supplies now had to traverse overland, something that was more dangerous, and took a whole lot more time than sea travel.

1613996492978.png

the ruins of the defenses of Foscani today.

Heyreddin Pasha then having found out that the Moldavian authorities weren’t acquiescing to peace, fearful of Ottoman retribution for betraying the Porte, he decided to focus on his new goal. Kicking Moldavia out of the war, and throwing the Russians away from the Danubian principalties. His eyes eventually turned to the strategic city of Foscani. The city was in the middle of everything, and was a tripoint of the Moldavian North, Moldavian South and the Carpathian Romanians, making it an important junction point. More interestingly and importantly however, the city was also home to several defenses, which basically protected the capital Iasi from Ottoman attack and counter-attacks. As such, Heyreddin Pasha decided to focus on the city of Foscani. The Russians weren’t fools either, and Prince Gorchakov decided to fight and stand at Foscani, and led his army towards Foscani, alongside what remained of the old Moldavian army.

On June 9th, 1842, Heyreddin Pasha felt that his troops had rested enough and had been supplied enough and started to move north, cautiously marching his army through the fields and pathways, cautious of any ambush from the Moldavian and Russian armies. He soon found himself facing the rearguard of Prince Gorchakov’s armies and found himself engaged in several small skirmishes and engagements with the Russian rearguard near the area and moved north of the Romanian plains. He used his cavalry advantage, and the Rumelian and Anatolian cavalry met the charges of the Cossacks head on attacking and defeating them in several instances. As the reputation of the Cossacks was one that of legend and was legendary throughout of all of the civilized world, these victories against the Cossacks played right into the hands of the victorious commander, Heyreddin Pasha who used the victories as propaganda material and used it to raise the morale of his troops. Meanwhile as the Ottoman mobilization continued, the Ottomans found out that they had a definite mobilization advantage over the Russians. First and foremost, the Ottoman provinces were closer to the fight than the Russian ones, so the Ottomans could supply their troops more effectively and could send their troops to the front faster than the Russians could. Second of all, and most importantly, the Ottoman Military reforms of 1827-36 under Sultan Mahmud II had placed logistics at the very top of the needed reform quotas, and the Ottoman supply system was radically overhauled. Far from using local resources like the old system, a system of empire wide depots were created, and maintained regularly by active troops, and these depots were placed on very strategic locations, making it easier for the Ottomans to resupply their troops. An intricate system of dispatches was developed to make communications easier, and supply more fast and efficient. As a result, the Ottomans had a massive logistical advantage over the Russians, who found their territories in Ukraine lacking in logistical support south of the city of Kiev. As a result, a new Ottoman army of 20,000 formed under Omar Pasha Latas managed to catch up to Heyreddin Pasha’s army very quickly and joined the army, bolstering Ottoman numbers.

Finally on July 2nd, 1842, the Ottoman army now numbering some 65,000 men reached the outskirts of Foscani, which was heavily defended. Foscani itself was defended by 8,000 Moldavian troops and over 20,000 Russian troops, making any siege a very costly affair almost guaranteed. More than that Prince Gorchakov was personally commanding the defenders, which made Heyreddin Pasha realize his job would more hard than what he expected at first.

1613996566637.png

a painting and depiction of the Siege of Foscani showing Ottoman and Russian troops.

The defenses of Foscani was divided between an inner citadel with an outer ring of ten forts. On the 5th of July, the vanguard of the Ottoman forces under Omar Pasha Latas and his assistance, Muhammad Ali Pasha, arrived at the outer fortress ring and commenced the siege by building entrenchments. The Ottomans then detached around 6,000 of their cavalry troops and tried to surround the town to deprive it of supplies, however this failed as last minute Russian deployments and reinforcements from Iasi arrived just in time to repel the Ottoman encirclement attempt, which allowed the Moldavian and Russian forces to keep the town and garrison supplied. On the 22nd of July, Ottoman General, Abdulkerim Nadir Pasha arrived on the scene of the siegelines to personally take command on the orders of Sultan Abdulmejid I, who found him to be an able commander.

On the 26th of August, 1842, a sally attempt was made by Russian divisions led Russian General Dmitry Selvan, who led the Russian and Moldavian troops out of the fort and attacked several key outworks of the forts that had been captured by the Ottomans. However the attackers were left without proper support, and were ordered to withdraw, losing some 300 men in the attack in total. During the sally however, the Russians managed to attack and kill the forces of Ottoman commander Musa Pasha, who himself was killed in action and was subsequently replaced by British lieutenant Charles Nasmyth.

1613996530535.png

A British satirical comic strip on the Siege of Foscani.

However the Russians continued to defend doggedly, and the Siege of Foscani started to settle down into a general siege as hopes for a fast siege died out.” Russian Forces in the Eastern War, Osprey Publishing, 2009.

“Meanwhile on the 25th of August, 1842, around four months after war had been declared by the United Kingdom and the Kingdom of France, around 48,000 French troops and 20,000 British troops landed with aid from the British and French navies, as well as the remnants of the Ottoman Black Sea Fleet on the port of Varna. The French forces were commanded by General Thomas Robert Bugeaud whilst the British forces were commanded by General Hugh Gough. The French and British governments had agreed that both would be in overall command with comparable autonomy from one another.

1613996618422.png

General Thomas Robert Bugeaud

Both commanders began discussing the idea of a naval invasion somewhere in Southern Russia and Ukraine to force the Russians to sue for peace. These plans soon became centered on the Crimean Peninsula, which served as the major hub of the Russian army and navy in the Black Sea. The idea that came up in the minds of the two generals was to land troops in the small town of Alshutia, on the southeastern bank of the Crimean peninsula, which would completely bypass the Russian defenses on the peninsula. This plan was agreed upon, however as the Black Sea was still being contested, the plan to invade Crimea was postponed to March 1843, with the Ottomans promising to give aid in the manner of 20,000 troops as well.

Meanwhile in the north, the Anglo-French navies paid the toll free over the Oresund to both Denmark and Sweden-Norway and entered a commanding force of over 90 warships into the Balkans, which was commanded by British Admiral Charles Napier. Napier’s plan was simple. Sweep the Russian Baltic Fleet away and gain naval dominance in the Baltic, giving time for the British marines to attempt landings and conquests of the several Russian islands (mainly Finnish islands) on the Baltic sea. His secondary goal was goad Sweden-Norway into entering the war, by enticing the Swedish population of Finland, still a good fifth population of Finland, into armed rebellion against the Russian state, whom they had never liked anyways. The Danish and Swedish governments gave consent to the massive navy entering the Baltic Sea on September 3, 1842.

1613996671511.png

British Admiral Charles Napier led the Anglo-French navies in the Baltic Sea.

The Russians were extremely frightened by this massive naval presence. Fearing a naval invasion in Finland and Estonia as well, the Russian government under Nicholas I gave permission to the Grand Duchy of Finland to re-establish a standing army based on the allotment system similar to one that existed when Finland was still a part of Sweden. At the beginning of the war, the army in Finland only consisted of 1 Guards Regiment and 1 Grenadier Battalion. This was to expanded into 10 regiments by the end of 1843 and the Karelian winter forces stationed in Karelia, numbering some 5,000 men were ordered to march into Finland and take up defensive positions as well. Due to the antiquity of Russia’s Baltic fleet, most of which had not been upgraded after the Napoleonic Wars, Russia was not able to resist properly, and effectively, however considered its ships as a platform for their cannons and as an additional protection layer for their war ports such as Suomenlinna and Kronstadt.

Meanwhile negotiations between Britain, France and Sweden-Norway had opened up. The British and French flowered Sweden and king Oscar I with promises to give Finland back to Sweden. Oscar I for his part had reformed the Swedish and Norwegian militaries slowly, however had given emphasis to the navy, based on Sweden’s growing colonial project in West Africa. As such the Swedish-Norwegian Army paled in comparison to the Swedo-Norwegian Navy; for which there was no use in war as the French and British navies swept the Russian one away like nothing. However anti-Russian sentiment exploded in Sweden over the expulsion of Swedish speaking Finns and the general arrests of Swedes that the Russians had made in the Swedish minority of Estonia and Finland, fearing Swedish intervention. Oscar I was also the King of Swedes as per his title, and many jingoistic members of the Riksdag pleaded for joining this war, as their only real chance to regain Finland. Oscar I finally accepted the offers of joining the war, however on the condition that Britain and France would provide 7 million pounds in economic support, and Sweden would only join the war the next year.” The Northern Front of the Eastern War: How Swedish Vaasaland came to be. University of Abo, 2018.

“After his defeat at the Battle of Gyumi, Prince Vorontsov instead moved his troops down south towards the important city of Erivan, which was the capital of Russian Armenia, having conquered it from the Qajar Persians during the Russo-Persian War of 1828. The city was filled to the brim with military supplies and equipment as well as men, as Prince Vorontsov tried to find a way to defend the Erivan Oblast from the incoming Ottomans. He only had 23,000 men now, and the Ottomans now numbered 35,000 men, bolstered by Armenian volunteers who were volunteering for the Ottomans as soon as the Ottomans had pleaded and requested them.

Things further declined for the Russians when on September 9th, 1842, Sultan Abdulmejid I on the insistence of the Ottoman Senate, signed the September Declaration which declared that the Ottomans would try to force Russia into releasing the Oblast of Erivan and restoring the Kingdom of Yerevan as a separate Armenian polity, though it would recognize Abdulmejid I also as the King of Armenians and its state’s monarch. This basically meant that the Ottomans were now backing an Armenian state, an independent Armenian state for the first time in over 600 decades. The ottomans weren’t particularly worried about their own Armenian population either. The Armenians interested in independence could immigrate to this new kingdom, and the rights of the Armenians would respected as Abdulmejid I would not only be Caliph of All Muslims, and Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, but also the King of All Armenians, making him the Armenian sovereign. This move was backed by the British and French enthusiastically. When word of this leaked into the Armenian population in Russia, desertions and defections became commonplace and the defections in the Armenian section of the Imperial Russian Army ramped too high for the liking of the Russians.

1613996748501.png

Mt. Aragats.

Mehmed Ali Pasha and his army reached Lake Mantesh on October 2nd, 1842, as snow started to fall onto the Caucasian region. Mehmed Ali Pasha knew that he would have to capture the city of Erivan before the full onset of winter came, as otherwise, the winter would force the Ottomans back and annul the gains made the Ottoman Caucasian Troops. Mehmed Ali Pasha therefore chose to make a daring strategy. He knew that the Russians under Prince Vorontsov was started to converge on Mt. Aragats where the terrain suited the defenders extremely well. As such, he deployed his 35,000 troops into three columns. The main column, his center consisted of 10,000 infantrymen and 5,000 cavalrymen. His right and left flanks consisted of 8,000 infantrymen and 2,000 cavalrymen each and formed his flanks and Mehmed Ali Pasha then immediately attacked and assaulted the Russian positions near Mt. Aragats.

The Russians were taken by surprise by the sudden attack led by Mehmed Ali Pasha. Mehmed Ali Pasha intended to destroy the Russians at Mt. Aragat and then lay a quick lightning siege to Erivan and take the capital of Russian Armenia, no matter the costs. As such, despite horrendous casualties that the Russians inflicted on the approaching Ottoman troops, Mehmed Ali Pasha simply told his troops, his most iconic quote “Make Them Despair. For a Free Armenia.”

Mehmed Ali Pasha himself was borne to an Armenian mother, and knew the Armenian tongue well, and it had been one of the reasons why he commanded the Caucasian front. His personal charisma brought the Turkish troops towards him and his Armenian half ethnicity brought him the loyalty of the Armenians. Using local Armenians, he found a way to outflank the Russian positions in northern Mt. Aragat near southern Shirak, and had Ottoman Turkish Mountaineers scale the mountain side to take over the Russian watchtowers in the area.

Prince Vorontsov panicked however. He had only lost the northern most sector of the island. Here it was that the infamous Russian information inaccuracy came to play as reports came to his desk telling him that the Ottomans had amassed some 30,000 men in the northeast and another 40,000 men in the northwest, when in reality half the given numbers was more accurate. These numbers made Vorontsov panic and he ordered the Russian troops to all retreat back to their last line of defense on Mt. Aragat, the lake of Kari. Adorned and surrounded by ankle deep snow, the area would be hard to defend.

1613996790546.png

Lake Kari in Mt. Aragats today. Once the scene of brutal fighting between the Ottomans and Russians during the Great Eastern War.

Mehmed Ali Pasha knew this as well, and did not wish to have himself lose time in a costly siege. Instead he detached 10,000 of his men and gave them to his subordinates to command. His second in command, an Ottoman Armenian general Garabet Amira Balyan to take the 10,000 troops and capture Erivan, whilst he laid siege to Prince Vorontsov and his 23,000 troops near Kari Lake on Mt. Aragats. Balyan accepted his orders, and detached his corps from the Battle of Mt. Aragats and instead moved south to secure Erivan.

On October 10, just as heavy snow started to fall, Balyan reached Erivan, and managed to defeat the small 3,000 garrison of the city and took the city by the storm, forcing the garrison out of the city. The Ottoman flag was then lifted to the city’s citadel and flown as the Russian flag was torn down from the citadel. Meanwhile Prince Vorontsov found out about this ploy and the capture of Erivan on October 14 through infiltrators, and found out that he had been played by Mehmed Ali Pasha as the Russian and Ottoman troops continue to clash with each other near Kari Lake, this time in knee deep snow. Swallowing his pride, Vorontsov ordered the Winter March, which ordered the remaining Russian troops, some 14,000 to march over Tifilis where the Russians could be reinforced and have shelter once more. It was a daring ask from an army already famished by a lack of food, undersupplied with ammunition quickly drying up, and scores dying from the cold.

However on October 19th, the Russians gave up Mt. Aragats, basically giving the Ottomans their hard won victory and Prince Vorontsov led his army through raging snowstorms and tribal ambushes and 1 month later, a haggard Russian force of around 10,000 men arrived with Prince Vorontsov at its head at Tifilis. Prince Vorontsov for his part in the safe retreat was given credit, however his disastrous defeat which led to the fall of Russian Armenia made his career doomed, and he was stripped of his command in the Imperial Russian Army, and was replaced soon after by Count Vasily Perovksy who had returned from his ordeal in Khiva.

Meanwhile as Erivan fell, the Ottoman court began to begin preparations for actually respecting the word they had written down in the September Declaration. An independent state in Erivan was in the works.” Mehmed Ali Pasha: Lion of the Caucasus: A Biography. University of Angora, 2013.

“In early September, news arrived to the government in Washington led by Andrew Jackson that the European continent was starting to become embroiled in a war that spanned the great powers of Great Britain, France, Russia and the Ottoman Empire. This was big news for the Americans, as the Americans knew that they could not move against either New England, Louisiana, Mishigama or Mexico with Great Britain, Russia and France breathing down on America’s neck.

Many warmongers and warhawks in the government, and the now purely advisory senate asked President Jackson to conduct a war against Louisiana, with France occupied, many deemed it necessary to regain Louisiana during this time and period when France was truly distracted. Jackson refused to entertain such thoughts. He pointed out that while Louisiana and Mexico weren’t the best of friends, and sometimes downright hated each other, Mexico and Louisiana were allied with one another against the American republic, and attacking the Louisianans meant war with the Mexicans, something that could be fatal to the republic.

He also pointed towards the state of the American military. Under his careful guidance, the American navy which had been decimated in the War of 1812 was slowly starting to grow again, however with slow results. It did bring good results, however they were slow, and Jackson did not wish to rush the results along, fearing imperfection if he rushed the projects along. Jackson however was more worried about the American Army. It had taken all of Jackson’s dictatorial power to force the people to accept a legislation which would see the American army’s militias abolished in 1840, and instead the American Army was being merged into a fully professional corps of 40,000 men under the careful guidance of bought military supervisors from Prussia and Portugal. Prussian military tradition was something that Jackson hoped would be passed onto the American military, and grudgingly he had allowed some more military industries to be created in the country. Though, of course normal industries were still not allow more than what was needed, as per his anti-industrial doctrine.

1613996911354.png

American naval officers overlooking naval procurement ships in Wilmington, circa 1840

He pointed out that the American Military was still going under reform with aid from the Prussians and the Portuguese privateers, and that attacking when the army was in the middle of a reform could have disastrous results. Instead he wished to look for more vulnerable targets. Some pointed towards New England. Whilst it was true that the American army would probably be able to defeat the New English army head on, Jackson knew well that the New English navy was still at least twice as powerful as the American navy and as the American nation was a trade oriented economy, he didn’t wish to have his republic’s economy completely devastated whilst he regained a wartorn new England. The payoff didn’t seem worth it for the dictator.

1613996848884.png

An American Army Unit training under Jackson's 1841 Military Reform Plan in the Prairie Territories.

Instead news was arriving from Spain that Prime Minister Antonio De Saavedra, the charismatic Spanish Prime Minister who had restored Spanish influence in southern Italy and the one who had led the reconquest of Charcas, had died, and had been succeeded by General Tomas Zumalacarregui. News also filtered that the unrest in the Spanish colonies that had been silenced by Ferdinand VII and Saavedra had erupted again and the colonial population bristling with unrest. It didn’t help that Zumalacarregui’s own policies didn’t seem exactly popular with the Spanish or the Spanish colonial population. An idea filtered into Jackson’s mind. He would wait for the agitation against Spain to grow, thus allowing the American economy to grow as well, and for the military reforms to end as well, and then…..he would strike the Sick Man of Europe once and for all. [1]” Jackson’s Gambit With Spain. University of Richmond, 2011.

“Meanwhile on January 6th, 1843, news arrived to the court in Kyoto, in Japan that war had started between its ally in Russia and the powers of France and Great Britain. The Ottomans didn’t interest the Shogunate, after all, the Ottomans basically had no interest in the eastern pacific, barring a few nominal vassals in the East Indies, which submitted to the temporal authority of the Ottoman caliphate. Instead the Japanese were interested in the fact that this was the perfect time to divide Sakhalin with Russia, and get rid of British influence in their country, which they found overbearing, once and for all. Since Britain was also the guarantor of Ryukan independence, it also provided a chance for the Japanese to finally conquer Ryuku once and for all with the pesky Sho Dynasty of Ryuku being able to do anything about it.

However this was a dangerous move. Many in the Japanese court advise caution, and pleaded with the privy council to only declare an embargo in support of its Russian ally and not actual war. However the war-happy samurai population of japan was bristling for war, and the warhawks had become too powerful in Japan with the aid of Russian money and backers. The Tokugawa Shogunate declared a ‘state of conflict’ between the Japanese Empire and the French and British kingdoms, and shut down the dispatches of the French and British diplomatic services within Japan, informing them of the war, and sending them back under neutral ships back to British Taiwan and French India.

There was nothing the French could really do about the Japanese, as their power projection in the pacific was hilariously weak. However the British colonial government in Formosa, bristled at the declaration of war, and instead declared mobilization of the British Formosa Fleet, some 40 ship modern fleet. The Japanese had 120 vessels within their own navy, however only 11 vessels could really compare with their European counterparts and knew that in a serious head on conflict the British royal navy would sink the Japanese navy without a real thought. So the Japanese settled on a blitz campaign. They planned to land troops in French controlled parts of Sakhalin before the Royal navy could disrupt them, and planned to create a link with the Russian Far East to keep them supplied.

1613996981995.png

Lord Durham, Governor-General of British Borealia.

As this was going on however, news also arrived in British North America, specifically in British Columbia and British Borealia about the ongoing war with Russia. This presented the British with the perfect opportunity to nab Alaska, which had been the prize that many British politicians in the area wanted, as the Alaskan Fur Trade was very lucrative for the Borealian economy. The Governor-General of the Colony of Borealia, Lord Durham, declared mobilization of around 5,000 troops, and ordered General Thomas Copper, the local general to invade and conquer Alaska after the winter had finished. The British conquest of Alaska was to soon follow as the winter soon died out.” The Pacific Front of the Eastern War: The First Real Great War. University of Oregon, 1992.