Who should become the first president of new england?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So Charles X is dead, and Louis XIX will take power...I'm curious to see how this will play out, especially since now Louis will be seen as a Resotrationist analogue to his namesake Louis XV, but at the same time...

...does Carlo Alberto still have an heir ITTL? Cause I feel at this point, he's actually the last of the Savoyards in the male line now since the main branch has all but died out with his predecessor, Carlo Felice, and OTL's Vittorio Emanuele II was born after the PoD.

Seem like the kingdom of Two Silicies will join the war on the Italian side with a mysterious resurgent power I honestly doesn’t see that many candidate apart of the Ottoman Empire but they would be occupied internally and with little incentive or capacity and possibly Spain but they seem to go in the war to crush the rebel ?
I doubt that. They would most likely support the Popes/the other French Bourbons. They wouldn't go against the French Bourbons not especially after what Louis XVIII did for them. The Austrians were content to have Murat on the Neopolitan throne as Metternich was banging Murat's wife Caroline Bonaparte (Napoleon's sister) on the side during the Congress of Vienna. Louis XVIII basically took initiative and personally financed a massive expedition to drive out the Murats and install King Francis on the throne of Naples where the Kingdom of Two-Sicilies was then created from.

So Charles X is dead, and Louis XIX will take power...I'm curious to see how this will play out, especially since now Louis will be seen as a Resotrationist analogue to his namesake Louis XV, but at the same time...
Is the Duc d'Berry alive in ttl? The Duc d'Berry is a fare better candidate for something like this as he actually was decently popular among the Parisians. Louis XIX was pretty much impotent and was pretty easily influenced by his wife. He's not an idiot, but I wouldn't say he's S-tier King material. He'd probably be B or like a low A tier if you factor in his role during the restoration where he served in actual armies.

I don't think his namesake would by Louis XV. Louis XV was pretty much a failure of a King and wasn't fondly remembered. If anything it would be after the Sun King.

...does Carlo Alberto still have an heir ITTL? Cause I feel at this point, he's actually the last of the Savoyards in the male line now since the main branch has all but died out with his predecessor, Carlo Felice, and OTL's Vittorio Emanuele II was born after the PoD.
Carlo Alberto is probably going to be screwed in this war much like otl. The Austrians wrecked him pretty easily. France riding high from its other foreign policy successes and its building Imperial zeal after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, will probably easily steamroll any Italian force.

Will we see a Thicc Malta ITTL?

Here's my thinking:

IOTL, the British expressed interest in Pantelleria, Lampedusa, and Linosa.

Pantelleria: "During the Napoleonic Wars, the British considered the possibility of taking over Pantelleria (together with Lampedusa and Linosa) so as to be able to supply Malta, but a Royal Commission stated in an 1812 report that there would be considerable difficulties in this venture."

Lampedusa: "At the time, the British were considering taking over Lampedusa, possibly as an alternative to Malta, which had just become a British protectorate. In 1803, the Royal Navy dropped the idea since the island's small harbour was not comparable to Malta's larger and well-fortified Grand Harbour. However, reports stated that the island could be useful in supplying Malta, especially with the threat of Sicily falling to the French."

"A Neapolitan warship visited the island in 1841 as a show of force, but nothing changed until 11 September 1843, when two warships arrived and landed 400 soldiers on the island. They substituted the British flags on the island with Neapolitan flags. A royal decree was read out proclaiming the island as part of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. A few of the Maltese settlers remained on the island, while others returned to Malta or went to Tunisia."

Linosa: "During the Napoleonic Wars, the British considered the possibility of taking over Linosa (together with Pantelleria and Lampedusa) so as to be able to supply Malta, but a Royal Commission stated in an 1812 report that there would be considerable difficulties in this venture.

The island remained deserted until 1843 when Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies ordered Knight Bernardo Maria Sanvinsente, captain of frigate, to colonize the island. The first thirty colonists (artisans from Ustica, Agrigento and Pantelleria) with the addition of a major, a priest and a doctor, landed on 25 April 1845."

All quotes from the above linked Wikipedia articles.

So IOTL you already have the British showing interest in the islands, with the British flag flying over Lampedusa until 1843. Linosa is unsettled until 1845. 20 years on from the Napoleonic Wars, it may be deemed easier to use the islands as the aforementioned supply bases. Given the above quotes it seems the British were considering this for at least a decade. Additionally, if the British are looking to supply both sides in this conflict, more islands in the region would be especially useful for them. The reemergent threat of French involvement in Italy might also reignite fears of a French takeover of Sicily. An alternative is that the Two Sicilies might officially recognise the islands as British to guarantee British support in this conflict. I think the chances of an enlarged Malta ITTL are very high, especially as the British flag is already flying over Lampedusa at this point IOTL. If one island (Lampedusa) becomes officially British, the other two almost certainly will too.

Lastly, if you're really looking for a pretty unique AH idea, there's always British Aeolian Islands for you to consider, @Sārthākā . These islands are northeast of Sicily and perfectly placed to control the Messina Strait. There's not much on Wikipedia about what's happening there at the time, except maybe this: " With the Bourbons came the introduction of criminal and political prisoners to the islands. In 1916, the penal colony was closed, but the Fascist regime unsuccessfully tried to reopen it in 1926." (Note: I don't know when the Bourbons started to place political prisoners there as it doesn't say). However, the Aeolian Islands together with Ustica (Black Pearl Island in English) as a supply base could make for an interesting little-seen AH change. It would also fit with Britain staying out but not staying out of the war and be in tune with the British remaining a predominantly naval power.

Northstar

Is the Duc d'Berry alive in ttl? The Duc d'Berry is a fare better candidate for something like this as he actually was decently popular among the Parisians. Louis XIX was pretty much impotent and was pretty easily influenced by his wife. He's not an idiot, but I wouldn't say he's S-tier King material. He'd probably be B or like a low A tier if you factor in his role during the restoration where he served in actual armies.

Sure, I think Charles Ferdinand would be a better King than his younger brother, but I feel like the French monarchy is too heavily tied to the traditions, and god help us all should Marie-Therese somehow gets pregnant. Honestly, I don't see Louis XIX being anything like the Sun King, granted the Sun King ain't exactly S-tier King material, it's just that he was actually king at a time when at things were going right for France most of the time. Maybe I'm just not seeing something in the Duc d'Angouleme that you are, but I kinda see his reign as a disaster waiting to happen.

Then again, I kinda saw Charles X as something of a bad thing before this timeline is making me have a long hard look so...I dunno, I'm probably not seeing it.

Carlo Alberto is probably going to be screwed in this war much like otl. The Austrians wrecked him pretty easily. France riding high from its other foreign policy successes and its building Imperial zeal after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, will probably easily steamroll any Italian force.
Which is why I brought up whether he has an heir or not. Savoy also follows Salic Law, problem is, unlike France, the House of Savoy (rather Savoy-Carignano) is literally just him now.

Last edited:
I don't see Louis XIX being anything like the Sun King, granted the Sun King ain't exactly S-tier King material, it's just that he was actually king at a time when at things were going right for France most of the time.
I disagree with you regarding Louis XIV. He was undoubtedly one of France's most consequential monarchs. There's a reason why when one thinks of the Age of Enlightenment and Absolutism, one of the first things that comes to mind is the image of the Sun King. Though for all his merits, and accomplishments, his own personal ego screwed him over. If anything this made him human, but at least in his case, he managed to keep his throne while leaving France in a somewhat strong position, albeit with shaky, but not unsalvageable foundations. Its also not really Louis' fault that all his heirs simply died off (Louis lived for way too long), and thus he was left with a child to succeed him.

Sure, I think Charles Ferdinand would be a better King than his younger brother, but I feel like the French monarchy is too heavily tied to the traditions, and god help us all should Marie-Therese somehow gets pregnant.
Its pretty much impossible for her to get pregnant now. Marie-Therese had a similar thing that Empress Josephine experienced. Due to the trauma from the conditions she suffered while imprisoned, and watching her family slaughtered by the Revolutionaries, she became infertile. Plus her marriage with Louis XIX was not a happy one either as Louis XVIII manipulated her into marrying her cousin. He basically lied saying that it was one of the last things that her parents wished. It was a scummy thing to do, and it likely screwed the dynasty over horribly.

Though in the case of Louis XIX, he probably dies a bit earlier. In otl he died at the age of 68 while in exile. Due to the stress of ruling, he probably dies a bit earlier (probably in the late 1830's - early 1840's). This would leave the throne in the hands of the Duc d'Berry who would probably live to have more children with his wife, securing the Bourbon dynasty.

If not, Henri V probably marries someone else instead of his otl wife who was infertile. This drastically changes the fate of the senior Capetian-Bourbon Line as they went extinct after Henri V's death in otl.

Then again, I kinda saw Charles X as something of a bad thing before this timeline is making me have a long hard look so...I dunno, I'm probably not seeing it.
Honestly he probably wouldn't have been so reactionary had a republican/bonapartist (its hard to tell as sources vary on this) not assassinated his son. I can imagine that Charles would have been much more open to compromise with the influence of his more moderate son around. Charles in otl was one of the members of Ancien Regime to recognize that reform was needed. He supported stripping the aristocracy's fiscal privleges in 1786 when he first began entering politics.

Some kings were reactionary, but that doesn't always mean they weren't incapable of ruling, or being pragmatic. Just look at Ernest-Augustus' reign of Hannover for example. Under his rule the Revolutions of 1848 barely affected the Kingdom.

Franz-Joseph almost was successful with his Neo-Absolutist political system, but Schwarzenberg's early death left him holding the pieces. That honestly was pretty unfortunate considering he had the potential to be remembered as a sort of Austrian analogue to Bismarck.

no. Victor Emannuel hasn't been born ittl.....

I doubt that. They would most likely support the Popes/the other French Bourbons. They wouldn't go against the French Bourbons not especially after what Louis XVIII did for them. The Austrians were content to have Murat on the Neopolitan throne as Metternich was banging Murat's wife Caroline Bonaparte (Napoleon's sister) on the side during the Congress of Vienna. Louis XVIII basically took initiative and personally financed a massive expedition to drive out the Murats and install King Francis on the throne of Naples where the Kingdom of Two-Sicilies was then created from.
Indeed, the Two Sicilies will be dragged in through......other methods.

I don't think his namesake would by Louis XV. Louis XV was pretty much a failure of a King and wasn't fondly remembered. If anything it would be after the Sun King.
No, he's dead. The 1820s France was still very tumultuous with pro-Bonpartists. He was killed by one ittl as well. If he hadn't been killed, Louis XIX would not have gained the throne.
most probably yes, but there are still twists and turns in the coming alley

Last edited:
Will we see a Thicc Malta ITTL?

Here's my thinking:

IOTL, the British expressed interest in Pantelleria, Lampedusa, and Linosa.

Pantelleria: "During the Napoleonic Wars, the British considered the possibility of taking over Pantelleria (together with Lampedusa and Linosa) so as to be able to supply Malta, but a Royal Commission stated in an 1812 report that there would be considerable difficulties in this venture."

Lampedusa: "At the time, the British were considering taking over Lampedusa, possibly as an alternative to Malta, which had just become a British protectorate. In 1803, the Royal Navy dropped the idea since the island's small harbour was not comparable to Malta's larger and well-fortified Grand Harbour. However, reports stated that the island could be useful in supplying Malta, especially with the threat of Sicily falling to the French."

"A Neapolitan warship visited the island in 1841 as a show of force, but nothing changed until 11 September 1843, when two warships arrived and landed 400 soldiers on the island. They substituted the British flags on the island with Neapolitan flags. A royal decree was read out proclaiming the island as part of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. A few of the Maltese settlers remained on the island, while others returned to Malta or went to Tunisia."

Linosa: "During the Napoleonic Wars, the British considered the possibility of taking over Linosa (together with Pantelleria and Lampedusa) so as to be able to supply Malta, but a Royal Commission stated in an 1812 report that there would be considerable difficulties in this venture.

The island remained deserted until 1843 when Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies ordered Knight Bernardo Maria Sanvinsente, captain of frigate, to colonize the island. The first thirty colonists (artisans from Ustica, Agrigento and Pantelleria) with the addition of a major, a priest and a doctor, landed on 25 April 1845."

All quotes from the above linked Wikipedia articles.

So IOTL you already have the British showing interest in the islands, with the British flag flying over Lampedusa until 1843. Linosa is unsettled until 1845. 20 years on from the Napoleonic Wars, it may be deemed easier to use the islands as the aforementioned supply bases. Given the above quotes it seems the British were considering this for at least a decade. Additionally, if the British are looking to supply both sides in this conflict, more islands in the region would be especially useful for them. The reemergent threat of French involvement in Italy might also reignite fears of a French takeover of Sicily. An alternative is that the Two Sicilies might officially recognise the islands as British to guarantee British support in this conflict. I think the chances of an enlarged Malta ITTL are very high, especially as the British flag is already flying over Lampedusa at this point IOTL. If one island (Lampedusa) becomes officially British, the other two almost certainly will too.

Lastly, if you're really looking for a pretty unique AH idea, there's always British Aeolian Islands for you to consider, @Sārthākā . These islands are northeast of Sicily and perfectly placed to control the Messina Strait. There's not much on Wikipedia about what's happening there at the time, except maybe this: " With the Bourbons came the introduction of criminal and political prisoners to the islands. In 1916, the penal colony was closed, but the Fascist regime unsuccessfully tried to reopen it in 1926." (Note: I don't know when the Bourbons started to place political prisoners there as it doesn't say). However, the Aeolian Islands together with Ustica (Black Pearl Island in English) as a supply base could make for an interesting little-seen AH change. It would also fit with Britain staying out but not staying out of the war and be in tune with the British remaining a predominantly naval power.

Northstar
that's an interesting piece of knowledge. Will incorporate it. Thanks! Any prediction @Northstar ? You tend not to get involved in such debates, but i am curious to hear your opinion on any predictions regarding the last few chapters.

he was a bit of a nut. No getting around it. His godly touch and other antics were nutty. But he also wasn't as incompetent as historians like to portray him as.

Franz-Joseph almost was successful with his Neo-Absolutist political system, but Schwarzenberg's early death left him holding the pieces. That honestly was pretty unfortunate considering he had the potential to be remembered as a sort of Austrian analogue to Bismarck.
heh, bismarck ittl (if he even rises at all, i am seriously just thinking about relegating him as some minor Prussian noble ittl), he will be called the Felix Schwarzenburg of Prussia. Schwarzenburg unlike otl, is going to create a huge name for himself.

i think the heir after Charles Albert ittl since he has no children, and the Savoyard Salic Law, would be this guy:-
His nephew.
Problem, the guy's an austrian.
I thought it was a French styled Salic Law (as in if CA dies without heir there would be some kind of election as to who gets the throne, not unlike the end of Carolingian France), I wasn't expecting it to be Semi-Salic like Spain.

If he hadn't been killed, Louis XIX would not have gained the throne.
Wait this doesn't make sense. France follows Salic law. Louis XIX is Charles-Ferdinand's eldest brother, and Louis has no sons, the throne passes to Charles and his line.

I thought it was a French styled Salic Law (as in if CA dies without heir there would be some kind of election as to who gets the throne, not unlike the end of Carolingian France), I wasn't expecting it to be Semi-Salic like Spain.
Sardinia at the moment is an absolute monarchy. It was the county of Savoy and then a Duchy, so I'm not sure how such an election would take place. There doesn't seem to be any legal mechanisms in place like how France had with the estates general and its peerage system.

that's an interesting piece of knowledge. Will incorporate it. Thanks! Any prediction @Northstar ? You tend not to get involved in such debates, but i am curious to hear your opinion on any predictions regarding the last few chapters.

I'm mainly just enjoying the ride, TBH. Dynastic knowledge is pretty far out of my scope of 'expertise', so I don't feel like I could contribute anything useful there and other members seem to have things tied down with two well-reasoned counterarguments.

I also have a few things going on IRL which is limiting my ability to get massively involved in researching any bits of your TL that I find particularly interesting and then offering my opinion on them. It's normally a case of having enough time to read your updates, read through the comments, and then make a note to come back later... but usually by the time I get back things have moved on anyway.

It was just the bits about the British trading with both sides that got me particularly interested. We know that IOTL the English/British usually wanted a base of operations if they were going to be trading (Hong Kong, Singapore, Calais, various places in India, etc) spring to mind, and we also know the British have a penchant for Mediterranean islands (Cyprus, Malta, the Ionian Islands, Minorca, using Elba for Nappy) and strategic control of the Mediterranean (Gibraltar, Egypt and Suez, supporting Greek independence from the Ottomans in the 1830s, etc) too. I really do love geostrategy and often watch Caspian Report videos on YouTube, so that's what got me looking into what a realistic British response here would be. I took inspiration from British Minorca, which they held on and off for nearly a hundred years between 1708 and 1802, and then looked for likely Italian islands that would make sense for the British to claim/capture and use as trading bases for weapons/influence, etc. An island/island chain to the west of Italy made most sense, but Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily are all too big. There was also Elba and a few other islands that would work for them, but the Aeolian Islands and an expanded Malta are probably easiest.

However, if/when the British get involved, the islands they're able to take depends on whose side they're on and who else in involved.

So far the big players we have are (correct me if I'm wrong):

Sardinia + Spain + Tuscany v Austria + France + the Papal States

We then have Prussia tying down Austrian forces and the Two Sicilies looking to make a move. Russia is also tying down Austrian troops, but is pissed at Prussia for the Belgian Partition. I'm not sure who the Ottomans are eying up, but Austria and Russia seem the most likely targets. The British are 'neutral.'

There's always a chance that the USA will get in on the action by either a) seeing Spain's involvement as a chance to take Florida, or b) seeing France's involvement as Louisiana being temporarily unsupported and a good chance to get revenge on them. If that happens then we may see the war spread to North America in a kind-of-separate-but-not War of 1812 MkII, which also sees New England, Mishigaman, Mexican involvement and maybe another revolt by the Federalists with Robert E. Lee being involved there. That said, given Calhoun's assassination maybe the USA is currently too 'sane' to do that. Or maybe Jackson sees it as a chance to secure his reputation and legitimacy. I think Herr Frage has already said this though.

If really pressed to say how the final sides end up... well, it makes sense for Prussia to side with Sardinia as this will give them a shot at both Austrian and French lands. Plus they're already tying down Austrian troops on purpose. I'm kind of expecting the Two Sicilies to move against the Papal States, which puts them on the same side as Sardinia too.

Which gives: Sardinia + Tuscany + Spain + Prussia + the Two Sicilies v Austria + France + the Papal States

Russia, pissed with Prussia and wanting to exert more control over Congress Poland, might use this as its chance to strike against them. Austria won't object ITTL because a) they're occupied elsewhere and b) having Russia join the war against Prussia works in their favour. With Russia and Austria on the same side, the Ottomans could see this as the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and seek to settle any scores they have against those two powers.

Which gives: Sardinia + Tuscany + Spain + Prussia + the Two Sicilies + Ottomans v Austria + France + the Papal States + Russia

I think the British, in this instance, could side with either party.

TL; DR? I have no fncking clue!

Northstar

Wait this doesn't make sense. France follows Salic law. Louis XIX is Charles-Ferdinand's eldest brother, and Louis has no sons, the throne passes to Charles and his line.
ah right.
Sardinia at the moment is an absolute monarchy. It was the county of Savoy and then a Duchy, so I'm not sure how such an election would take place. There doesn't seem to be any legal mechanisms in place like how France had with the estates general and its peerage system.
yeah, that's why i was shuffling through his closest male relatives

I'm mainly just enjoying the ride, TBH. Dynastic knowledge is pretty far out of my scope of 'expertise', so I don't feel like I could contribute anything useful there and other members seem to have things tied down with two well-reasoned counterarguments.

I also have a few things going on IRL which is limiting my ability to get massively involved in researching any bits of your TL that I find particularly interesting and then offering my opinion on them. It's normally a case of having enough time to read your updates, read through the comments, and then make a note to come back later... but usually by the time I get back things have moved on anyway.

It was just the bits about the British trading with both sides that got me particularly interested. We know that IOTL the English/British usually wanted a base of operations if they were going to be trading (Hong Kong, Singapore, Calais, various places in India, etc) spring to mind, and we also know the British have a penchant for Mediterranean islands (Cyprus, Malta, the Ionian Islands, Minorca, using Elba for Nappy) and strategic control of the Mediterranean (Gibraltar, Egypt and Suez, supporting Greek independence from the Ottomans in the 1830s, etc) too. I really do love geostrategy and often watch Caspian Report videos on YouTube, so that's what got me looking into what a realistic British response here would be. I took inspiration from British Minorca, which they held on and off for nearly a hundred years between 1708 and 1802, and then looked for likely Italian islands that would make sense for the British to claim/capture and use as trading bases for weapons/influence, etc. An island/island chain to the west of Italy made most sense, but Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily are all too big. There was also Elba and a few other islands that would work for them, but the Aeolian Islands and an expanded Malta are probably easiest.

However, if/when the British get involved, the islands they're able to take depends on whose side they're on and who else in involved.

So far the big players we have are (correct me if I'm wrong):

Sardinia + Spain + Tuscany v Austria + France + the Papal States

We then have Prussia tying down Austrian forces and the Two Sicilies looking to make a move. Russia is also tying down Austrian troops, but is pissed at Prussia for the Belgian Partition. I'm not sure who the Ottomans are eying up, but Austria and Russia seem the most likely targets. The British are 'neutral.'

There's always a chance that the USA will get in on the action by either a) seeing Spain's involvement as a chance to take Florida, or b) seeing France's involvement as Louisiana being temporarily unsupported and a good chance to get revenge on them. If that happens then we may see the war spread to North America in a kind-of-separate-but-not War of 1812 MkII, which also sees New England, Mishigaman, Mexican involvement and maybe another revolt by the Federalists with Robert E. Lee being involved there. That said, given Calhoun's assassination maybe the USA is currently too 'sane' to do that. Or maybe Jackson sees it as a chance to secure his reputation and legitimacy. I think Herr Frage has already said this though.

If really pressed to say how the final sides end up... well, it makes sense for Prussia to side with Sardinia as this will give them a shot at both Austrian and French lands. Plus they're already tying down Austrian troops on purpose. I'm kind of expecting the Two Sicilies to move against the Papal States, which puts them on the same side as Sardinia too.

Which gives: Sardinia + Tuscany + Spain + Prussia + the Two Sicilies v Austria + France + the Papal States

Russia, pissed with Prussia and wanting to exert more control over Congress Poland, might use this as its chance to strike against them. Austria won't object ITTL because a) they're occupied elsewhere and b) having Russia join the war against Prussia works in their favour. With Russia and Austria on the same side, the Ottomans could see this as the perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and seek to settle any scores they have against those two powers.

Which gives: Sardinia + Tuscany + Spain + Prussia + the Two Sicilies + Ottomans v Austria + France + the Papal States + Russia

I think the British, in this instance, could side with either party.

TL; DR? I have no fncking clue!

Northstar
hehe, with the amount of info i have hinted, i guess this is a pretty good prediction. We will see, which one comes true!

hehe, with the amount of info i have hinted, i guess this is a pretty good prediction. We will see, which one comes true!

Don't worry about giving too much away regarding what's going to happen in the next few chapters. It's an inevitable part of storytelling and having completely unexpected twists doesn't make a story better; it can often mean people are like, "tf, that makes no sense." This is especially true in AH stories as we're often looking at longterm trends with real life historical examples in comparison to stories which depend on the characters' immediate decisions. I think this is a really good TL so far.

I do dislike when there are 'spoilers' from 200 years in the future though, but I think that's very different.

This month is my last month before (re)submission of my Masters though, so I shall be reading more than I'll be writing on AH.com... fingers crossed this is a true statement and my procrastination doesn't take over again.

Northstar

Okay, let me rephrase...I assumed that Savoy, and by extention, Sardinia, was like France, in which only legitimate males born from collateral lines descended from males can stand in line for the throne. If Charles Albert dies without a male heir, it means that there is legitimately no one on a legal basis to claim Sardinia-Piedmont. So what happens then?