Who should become the first president of new england?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lusitania

Donor
I was not suggesting they would. A timeline can have multiple points of divergence my friend.
Yes it can this TL already has several divergence in new Spain, grand Columbia and Brazil. But was thinking that a huge effort to write about Japan and was already waiting patiently (not patiently ready iotl). Therefore not want author to get distracted. Lol

hoping for an update

Whats going on in Japan a early Meji Restoration or a modernized Shogunate?
I think that the going on in North America will have zero impact to what happening in Japan. As far as this stage of the world. Maybe post 1850s but nothing now. Be a far stretch to imply that what happen 1810-1830 in North America has any impact to Japan It remained closed to outside influence during this time and nothing here changes that.

Plus writing this TL about North America is time consuming enough don’t want author get distracted about another area.

The author has reached the more complicated part of his TL. Where as the war of 1812 he was dealing with known characters. Now he on his own. Plus the theatre of war is different from ACW do we can even use that as guide.
the other mentioned japan in the last post by name and referencing a conflict. Its from the horses mouth buddy.

´Whilst a war was raging on the North and South American Continent in the form of the Argentinian Civil War and the American Civil War, another conflict was breaking out in the Tokugawa Shogunate in Nihon or popularly known as Japan in Europe. The War Of Restoration was about to take place…” History of the Empire of Nihon, Kyoto Pu

I was not suggesting they would. A timeline can have multiple points of divergence my friend.

blishing (日本帝国の歴史、京都出版) 1989.´
Ah, you see due to the Americans British maneuvering in the pacific was very neutered until the 1830s otl. That isn't the case here. They have more leverage in the Pacific and well they are going to interfere in one of the more controversial edicts that happens in the 1820s otl in Japan, plus a few otl events being tweaked slightly to favor a more let's say.....warring idea.

Ah, you see due to the Americans British maneuvering in the pacific was very neutered until the 1830s otl. That isn't the case here. They have more leverage in the Pacific and well they are going to interfere in one of the more controversial edicts that happens in the 1820s otl in Japan, plus a few otl events being tweaked slightly to favor a more let's say.....warring idea.

Oh god a stronger British empire in the Pacific and a Japan that opens up's and modernizes 40 years earlier. Give China a break man this is shaping up to be a a even worth time then otl. Also will the northwest go to Britain I mean that would be one sexy Canada

US_map-Northwest.PNG

This is what i mean by north west very thing in red or stipes.

Oh god a stronger British empire in the Pacific and a Japan that opens up's and modernizes 40 years earlier. Give China a break man this is shaping up to be a a even worth time then otl. Also will the northwest go to Britain I mean that would be one sexy Canada

US_map-Northwest.PNG

This is what i mean by north west very thing in red or stipes.
It probably won't all go to the British - it's likely you might get one or more Mishigama-style native states in the area, A Lakotah homeland in what is now the Dakotas for example.

Oh, and Joseph Smith was born 7 years before the POD. It'd be interesting to see what alt-Mormonism looks like in an America sufficiently fractured that they actually make a go of establishing a homeland...

Chapter 16: I Dream of Louisiana.
Chapter 16: I Dream of Louisiana.

"Français je ne suis plus! Américain, je ne suis pas! Je suis Louisianan! Vive la Louisiane!" - Popular Louisiana slogan.

New Orleans, State of Louisiana, United States of America

July 3rd, 1825

The air in the port city was one of calm, yet something tense bubbled underneath the surface as the people looked on with one another and shuffled about. The Anglophone population largely joked about ‘Pardon my French’ and the slaves scurried about, doing what their owners had told them to do. The Hispanic population largely stood aside and kept to themselves whilst the Francophones, still the dominant demographic in the city shuffled about doing their day to day business. Nonetheless, the atmosphere between the Anglophone population and the Francophone population was tense. The massacre conducted by Andrew Jackson at the Maurepas Massacre had created a deep wedge between the Anglophone population and the Francophone. The Francophone population by this point was deeply anti-American, slowly nurturing their hatred that had blossomed from the massacre and the deaths of their relatives. The atmosphere spread, and the same could also be said of St. Louis, however St. Louis’s importance paled in comparison to the port city of New Orleans.

1606909637875.png

US Troops during the Maurepas Massacre.

Jean Baptiste Flauche was a national hero for the New Orlean’s Francophone population and hate was simmering down in the surface. The constant attacks made by Andrew Jackson and Calhoun on the population of the city, obviously the Francophones, only made this hatred stronger.

1606909710134.png

Bernard de Marigny.

One Bernard de Marigny walked down the street of New Orleans, wearing his neat and tidy French coat as he grumbled underneath his voice. His eyes flickered at the pub next to him as he slowly opened the door. The pub owner looked up slightly before noticing that it was de Maringy. The pub owner simply grunted and pointed towards the stairs that led to the private cabins to which de Marigny had an appointment. After shuffling inside one of the private cabins, de Marigny came face to face with one Jacques Dupre, the current Governor of Louisiana and Armand Beauvais. The speaker of the house of representatives of Louisiana, Andre D. Roman was also present as the four men looked at one another apprehensively.

1606909742085.png

Jacques Dupre.

“So how goes the war?” Dupre asked as de Marigny sat down. “Your sources give us more information than what the central government would like to tell me.”

“Ah the war is going on horribly.” De Marigny stated as he folded his hands. “The Federals are pushing and winning on land, and even though in the seas, the navy dealt a blow, the Federals hold naval superiority in their own immediate region.”

“That’s funny. The governmental official letter sent to me stated that the Federal sea going capability had been utterly smashed!” Dupre stated as he stroked his beard.

“Well you are the Governor. You know how the central government likes to exaggerate things. Increasingly under Calhoun and the murderer.” Beauvais spoke up.

“Indeed.” Dupre nodded.

“So what do we do now?” Came de Marigny’s small voice, uncharacteristic of the nobleman and aristocrat.

“What we have been waiting for ever since the war was declared in the first place.” Came Dupre’s clipped answer.

“Are you sure?” Came Beauvais’s voice. “When we start, there will be no going back.”

“I am sure. The Haitian Francophone support us, the Republican exiles from the Metropolitan France support us, and most important of all, the Mexican contacts we have with Emperor Jose state that he would aid us in secret. We can do this.” Came Dupre’s soft answer.

“History will remember you as a traitor.” Roman spoke up.

“History can remember me as it wants. I know what I am fighting for.” Dupre snarled.

“You will break your Governor’s Oath.” Warned Roman. “I need not say what the Church thinks about broken oaths.”

“Church be damned! But even the Church would understand why I am doing this. They will forgive me. God will forgive me.” Dupre answered back with an angry tilt in his tone.

De Marigny let out a soft sigh. “Very well. On notice, the militias we have set up all over the former Louisiana Colony will rise up against the central government. We will rebel against the United States, and create our own Francophone Louisianian state. My money, my influence, all of your influences, it has all led up to this. We will either win and go into history as heroes of a new nation, or fail and fall into the dustbin of traitors, like Flauche.”

Vive la Louisiane!” The four cried out in unison.

“……For about a month, the frontlines of the American Civil War had been largely static with one another. However this would not last. On July 25th, 1825, all over Francophone cities in the former Louisiana Purchased lands now within the United States rose up against the United States. Ever since the Louisiana Uprising during the War of 1812, and the subsequent persecution of the Francophone population in the region, the region had become a hotbed for separatism. Whilst the government had been distracted by the lead up to the civil war, the population of Louisiana continued to suffer the persecution under subsequent US governments, all of whom were pretty suspicious of the state whose people’s had rebelled, but failed unlike New England during the War of 1812.

4 conspirators, Bernard de Marigny, Governor Jacques Dupre, Armand Beauvais and Andre D. Roman, all influential men in Louisiana plotted against the US government. All had grievances against the US. De Marigny had been a part of the US army during the Louisiana Uprising and whilst he had remained loyal he had vehemently opposed the Maurepas Massacre and the subsequent massacres and had resigned from the army in disgust instead utilizing his family wealth to gather influence in the society. The killing of Francophones during the massacre turned the man into a staunch Louisianan Nationalist and he started to call for Louisianan independence as early as 1816. Governor Jacques Dupre was popular with the people, however he had vehemently protested against the heavy handed measures that the US government took to keep the population in check and by 1825 at the outbreak of war, the man had also turned into a vehement Louisianan nationalist. Beauvais and Roman too were Louisianan nationalists who had turned against the American dream.

1606909917126.png

Picture of the capture of Anglophone politicians in St. Louis.

On the morning of July 25th, Francophone militias in New Orleans arrested multiple Anglophone politicians in the city and took influential Anglophones as hostage. The same happened in multiple cities and Parishes such as St. Louis, St. Landry, etc as prominent Francophones had turned against the US government. On July 27th, these Francophone militias came together and named themselves the ‘Louisianan National Liberation Army’ or simply the LNLA. In New Orleans, Dupre declared the Louisiana Purchase null and void and together with prominent Louisianan politicians declared the independence of the ‘French Republic of Louisiana’ with the capital based at New Orleans. The Republic of Louisiana claimed all the lands of the Louisiana Purchase in the USA and kept the territory within the British Empire under ‘negotiated status’ meaning that they would negotiate the territory with the British separately……..” The French of the New World, University of New Orleans, 1998.

1606910054885.png

Flag of the French Republic of Louisiana

Last edited:
I like it. Interesting turn of events, the massacre led to a revolution. I've seen it before
Looks at the Boston Massacre of 1770
Oh there it is!

Well if the English decide to offer aid in exchange for an open Mississippi then Vive la Louisiana!
It depends a little on how the war in Europe ended - by 1823 IOTL France was already back intervening in Spain with almost 100,000 men and by 1830 they were landing 34,000 men in Algeria.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the French could recognise a Republic of Louisiana. OK the Bourbons are reactionaries at heart but these are Frenchmen fighting against their Anglophone masters. I'd expect some meddling and gun running at least.

I don't trust the Mexicans. They're going to stab the Lousianans in the back and there's gunna be a Mexico from sea to shining sea.

Which makes me wonder; what's happening with Florida? It was bought by the USA in 1819 IOTL.

Northstar

It depends a little on how the war in Europe ended - by 1823 IOTL France was already back intervening in Spain with almost 100,000 men and by 1830 they were landing 34,000 men in Algeria.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the French could recognise a Republic of Louisiana. OK the Bourbons are reactionaries at heart but these are Frenchmen fighting against their Anglophone masters. I'd expect some meddling and gun running at least.
France in this will be interesting no doubt.

I don't trust the Mexicans. They're going to stab the Lousianans in the back and there's gunna be a Mexico from sea to shining sea.

Which makes me wonder; what's happening with Florida? It was bought by the USA in 1819 IOTL.

Northstar
Florida is still a part of Spain.