Who should become the first president of new england?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
okinawa is the capital of ryuku, which is independent as of right. a port city would likely go towards the other cities like nagasaki etc.
Is Ryuku a British protectorate? Because if so they British might not take anything from Japan, they can just go through Ryuku. The French might take Hokkaido if they're able.

Not sure what Japan will lose, maybe Okinawa to the British as a treaty port, that's about all I can think of, they don't really have anything of worth to nick so conquering them would be rather pointless.
Might end up being nothing. They seem to recognise that they aren't ready for this, their only contribution has been to land in Southern Sakhalin. Could be that they get a token reparation asked out of them and it's just called quits.

Frankly, the most likely situation in East Asia seems to be that France gets to keep Sakhalin. Though I do like the idea of the Brits taking Ryukyu as a protectorate to go along with Formosa.

polish independence is going to be very very hard without boots on the ground, which means prussian or danubian intervenetion in the war on side of the ottomans, unlikely

okinawa is the capital of ryuku, which is independent as of right. a port city would likely go towards the other cities like nagasaki etc.

Well Nagasaki become the New Hong Kong?

Great update, but a minor nitpick: Mariehamn was not the capital of the Åland Islands at this point in time since the city wasn't founded until 1861 (named after the then-Empress consort of Russia). Åland didn't really have any capital at all this time (nor any cities, it was pretty much all just scattered villages) since the archipelago was a part of Turku and Pori Province and therefore mostly governed from Turku. Most administrative functions appear to have been centred around the Sund area, in the vicinity of Kastelholm Castle or possibly at the Russian fortress at Bomarsund which was still under construction at this time. So if the leading figures on Åland would have met at some noteworthy place to declare themselves loyal to King Oscar, those two would be the most likely candidates.

Last edited:
Well things continue with Russia vs the West. i still don't feel much drama as Russia's defeat still seems foregone, even if the shape is up in the air. I trust though you have something in store, even if this war ends up as the set up to said thing. I wonder if the Tian Dynasty will try to get in on the action.

With Japan likely to lose this war the Shogun has pushed in spite of the Emperor I wonder if defeat will end the dyarchy with the Emperor taking full power. interesting divergence with the Daimyo's becoming hereditary governors and the samurai being retained and updated. I wonder if the samurai will be able to adapt into something that be effective in this era, even if only for awhile?

Good that Japan's military commander at least is smart enough to know he's out of his depth. With the navy seeming to be toothpicks in the making it seems to set up for an invasion of Japan proper.

I see local democracy survives in the UAU, what about the state governments?

So the FAPM is based on the alliance between grassroots antiJackson politics and the DUAY? Interesting.

WILD THEORY TIME:

For Jackson's fate as you imply it will be interesting i have a new theory. Namely Jackson escapes the fall of his regime and flees abroad vowing to return. While he never does dying abroad he is not just idle. my current guess is he turns up with followers in Paraguay of all places, as an advisor and recruiting other exiles for a fellow republican dictator's cause, all the wile still styling himself as the legitimate American President.

I pick Paraguay because Jackson would likely not want to trust a monarchy after all his antimonarchist actions which makes Europe out mostly, and several of the European nations hate him besides. Most of Latin America is out with him being one of the foremost antiCatholics of the day. Paraguay as I recall was rather anticlerical in this period and is also stubbornly republican ITTL. As for racial issues Jackson either cares less personally or just bears with it, and the Paraguayan dictator, whoever it ends up being, likewise bears with Jackson.

As for Jackson death ITTL either he is KIAed in the ITTL equivalent of the Triple Alliance, or is captured an executed for many outstanding crimes.

Now to wait and see how far off the mark I am.

Last edited:
Things further declined for the Russians when on September 9th, 1842, Sultan Abdulmejid I on the insistence of the Ottoman Senate, signed the September Declaration which declared that the Ottomans would try to force Russia into releasing the Oblast of Erivan and restoring the Kingdom of Yerevan as a separate Armenian polity, though it would recognize Abdulmejid I also as the King of Armenians and its state’s monarch. This basically meant that the Ottomans were now backing an Armenian state, an independent Armenian state for the first time in over 600 decades. The ottomans weren’t particularly worried about their own Armenian population either. The Armenians interested in independence could immigrate to this new kingdom, and the rights of the Armenians would respected as Abdulmejid I would not only be Caliph of All Muslims, and Sultan of the Ottoman Empire, but also the King of All Armenians, making him the Armenian sovereign. This move was backed by the British and French enthusiastically. When word of this leaked into the Armenian population in Russia, desertions and defections became commonplace and the defections in the Armenian section of the Imperial Russian Army ramped too high for the liking of the Russians.
I didn't know that an Armenian state existed 6,000 years ago.:p

1. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: 24 million
England and Wales: 16.6 million
Scotland: 3.1 million
Ireland: 4.3 million
2. Kingdom of France: 35 Million
3. Kingdom of Spain: 12.7 Million
4. United Kingdom of Portugal, the Algarves and Amazonia: 6.7 million
5. Kingdom of the Netherlands: 3.4 million
6. Kingdom of Prussia: 16 Million
7. Danubian Empire: 32 Million
8. United Kingdom of Sweden-Norway: 4.2 million

Sweden: 2.8 million
Norway: 1.4 million
9. Kingdom of Denmark: 1.1 million
10. Russian Empire: 47 Million
11. Ottoman Empire: 29 Million

European portion of the empire: 9 million
asian portion of the empire: 17 million
african portion of the empire: 1 million
12. Tian Dynasty (china): 416 million
13. Tokugawa Shogunate: 24 million
14. Empire of the Himalayas: 4.7 million
15. Qajar Persia: 11 million
16. British North America: 1.9 million
17. Commonwealth of New England: 2.9 million
18. United American Union: 11 million
19. Kingdom of Louisiana: 1.2 million
20. Kingdom of Mishigama: 1 million
21. Empire of Mexico: 11.3 million
22. Empire of Brazil: 6 million
23. Kingdom of Argentina: 4 million
24. Republic of Paraguay: 1 million
25. Spanish Colonial Empire in the New World: 41 million
Is Mishigama a Kingdom?

Gaines Rebellion Wikibox
01010.png

Since i do have the habit of incorporating some things which the audience wants in the timeline, i gotta ask.

What do you guys think should happen in these states with the current situation ittl in the future?

1. UK and the British Empire.
2. Prussia
3. Danubian Empire
4. Russian Empire
5. Ottoman Empire
6. Kingdom of France
7. Kingdom of Spain
8. China
9. Japan
10 . Mexico
11. Louisiana
12. Mishigama
13. New England
14. Morocco?
15. Canada/Borealia/Maritimes.

Since i do have the habit of incorporating some things which the audience wants in the timeline, i gotta ask.

What do you guys think should happen in these states with the current situation ittl in the future?

1. UK and the British Empire.
2. Prussia
3. Danubian Empire
4. Russian Empire
5. Ottoman Empire
6. Kingdom of France
7. Kingdom of Spain
8. China
9. Japan
10 . Mexico
11. Louisiana
12. Mishigama
13. New England
14. Morocco?
15. Canada/Borealia/Maritimes.
It's be nice to see a war that humbles the Brits a bit, just so they don't get too overconfident in the future.

Mexico I could see further centralising after the Mexican-American war which I imagine would end in a Mexican victory TTL.

Morroco, it'd be nice to see a North African country resist the scramble for Africa, if only to see just how they'd manage that.

Ottomans I can see further decentralising and granting more rights and autonomy to its various ethnic groups.

Japan I can see following a similar path as otl, I just can't imagine they'd lose any land, Britain has Taiwan, it doesn't need another port for East Asia.

Honestly while I know it's a ways off, I'm kind of excited to see what TTL's world war one, will look like.

Well, I have a weak spot for the TLs that avoid the "France and Prussia are always ennemies" trope and instead give us some early deutsch-französich alliance. But of course, that requires manœuvering through diplomatic logics, which can be a bit tricky & often sound arbitrary.

I gotta say, "United American Union" sounds kind of awkward.
It is a bit of a mouthful, but gets the overall ideology of the government across with its name
It's be nice to see a war that humbles the Brits a bit, just so they don't get too overconfident in the future.

Mexico I could see further centralising after the Mexican-American war which I imagine would end in a Mexican victory TTL.

Morroco, it'd be nice to see a North African country resist the scramble for Africa, if only to see just how they'd manage that.

Ottomans I can see further decentralising and granting more rights and autonomy to its various ethnic groups.

Japan I can see following a similar path as otl, I just can't imagine they'd lose any land, Britain has Taiwan, it doesn't need another port for East Asia.

Honestly while I know it's a ways off, I'm kind of excited to see what TTL's world war one, will look like.
Hm, a good set of predictions, though we will see which ones come on top.
Well, I have a weak spot for the TLs that avoid the "France and Prussia are always ennemies" trope and instead give us some early deutsch-französich alliance. But of course, that requires manœuvering through diplomatic logics, which can be a bit tricky & often sound arbitrary.
To be fair that cliche comes out of historical analysis. France and the Germanies have rarely if ever seen eye to eye with one another. Nonetheless, i do hope i can subvert that cliche, though France and Prussia will not be friends either in this timeline, though they will not be enemies either.
How is George Washington remembered ITTL? Is he seen as more of an idealist fool who should have taken power Or more of a Simon Bolivar tragic figure?
A bit of both.
Many in America now call him a fool and state that he should have negotiated with Britain and instead opted for more autonomy. Looking at Britains democratic and liberal path many in America believe that Washington should have just been a loyalist instead and led a hypothetical autonomous 13 colonies into the path of liberalism much like the Home Isles.
Many also consider him a tragic man. A man who worked and led a worthy goal, but one which fell apart after his death.
As such he leaves behind a very mixed legacy.

For Britain it seems likely thy are due to trip on something. They have been rolling quite a few sixes. Even though I appreciate them having to trim back in their colonialism some as shown in New Zealand. Similar for the Habsburg Empire, while i am glad they are doing well, it seems like the opposition has been rolling snake eyes while reformers get sixes; something it seems has to go wrong there.

For Prussia I am rather hoping for a stroke of good fortune. Seems like that player has been getting sidelined a lot. For that matter what is Bavaria doing?

For Russia and the Ottomans too much is in motion now.

For Japan I hope this current system of reformed Daimyo and Samurai sticks around for a while more. Combined with a seemingly stronger China I am intrigued how Japan will develop internally and on the world stage ITTL. Though I could see the Shogunate itself ending if the current war goes too badly.

For France I am curious how French is developing as a people and culture under this successful restoration. Is Louisiana as a sister/daugher nation impacting the development of France and her people and how they see themselves in the world?

Mexico I see growing pains ahead. Bringing the Empire firmly under unity will not be easy and there are lots of matters to deal with; and more will be coming with the Gold Rush. But also i think the Great Power dream will be a major force in Central Mexico, galvanizing the push to bring the Empire together and take the stage as a true Great Power, not only in North America but on the world stage.

For BNA Britains growing global Imperial commitment I see as causing their schism. Canada asserting itself more as Britain's focus shifts while the Maritimes cleave to the Empire closer. And Borealia will be kid of the lot being influenced by Canada and the Empire as it takes shape.

Last edited: