The Republic of Hainan

Not eradicated, they're still around, but weaker, the French are focusing more on Hainan because of the possible Chinese threat to Hainan in the mainland. The flood of refugees has introduced large amounts of people who are anti-communist. The Communist morale has been weakened severely by the PLA not coming to Hainan.

They won't be much of a threat now. They are still operating, but they can't do much.

That will be interesting, for sure. So HK, Macao, Taiwan, and now Hainan have anti-Communist people? That's going to be interesting.

Hainan Independence and the Communist situation

Excerpt taken from "History of The Republic of Hainan (2002)," standard textbook used by the Hainanese educational system.

The French in 1950 sent many French soldiers to Hainan in fear of a possible conflict with the People's Liberation army and to curtail the Communist hold over the country. These soldiers would eventually be withdrawn when it was clear the PLA wouldn't invade.

The First IndoChina war had little fighting in Hainan afterwards, it has been speculated that the Communists of Hainan were extremely demoralised by finding out the PLA wasn't coming to Hainan and the inlux of refugees running from Communism heading to Hainan and generally settling in the exterior of Hainan reatly curtailed their influence. The refugees limited much of the Communists operations to the interior.

The Hainanese economy was mostly concentrated in the exterior in places like Haikou, Wenchang, and Sanya. Because of the influx of anti-communist refugees to these areas, little communist activity was done to the economy of Hainan at the time. Most refugees came to these places because the cities were in the exterior and the interior was very much undeveloped. All the businesses that came to Hainan also relocated to either Haikou or Sanya because of the convenience.

The refugees came at a time when the French had focused more attention into Hainan due to the fear of Communism in Hainan, thus the refugees and businesses were able to relocate to Hainan easily, but the sheer size and number of the refugees coming in caused a lot of difficulties and strain on French efforts. However, the relocation of assets and capital from China to mainly Hong Kong and Hainan would help Hainan along with Hong Kong to become a manufacturing center later on.

Hainan gained its independence in 1954 along with Laos and Cambodia. Laos and Cambodia would form a constitutional monarchy, but Hainan formed a government based mostly on the old structure that governed China as a protectorate of France which was originally taken from the Qing bureaucracy.

The government of Hainan had strong technolocratic tendencies with a system that generally promotes based on merit, but at the time corruption was strife and many officials were said to be promoted based on connections. Nevertheless, the Hainanese officials were generally more educated than the average Hainanese.

The highest Chinese officials generally listened to a superior French official. However with no French superior, the top Chinese officials decided to elect a Prime Minister amongst them. The top officials during the time were generally French educated and studied in French Universities.

Officials of Hainan generally had interests in business thus were staunch enemies of Communism and were seen as the enemy by Communists. Communist activity in Hainan were generally limited to the interior and it was well-known that officials there had a good chance of getting killed.

At the time, the Laos military and Hainan's military were continued to be supported by the French. There were French bases in Laos and Hainan both which remained active and were used as a training base for the Hainanese army. The French would later on be replaced in both Laos and Hainan by the American Programs Evaluation Office, a military mission under the disguise of a civilian aid mission. This program was used by the Americans to prepare the Hainan government and Laos government to deal with their communist threats and for the containment of communism. The French would continue to provide support, but was gradually replaced by the Programs Evaluation Office.

The Hainanese military would generally be stationed and actively patrolling the interior of Hainan.

Last edited:
Why did you end this, this is good I want to read more.

This is actually months ago, but I thought i should reply.

Anyways, I never really ended it, I just took a break and decided to go back to this eventually. However, I just got caught up in life and haven't been on AH.com for a long time.

Interesting TL. Hainan will surely be a major base in the vietnamese conflict. I guess that the Americans will help the Hainanese governement to eradicate the communist stronghold in the highlands.

Good, as they say, God...

...In my HMS Heligoland's final posts, I had the KMT withdrawing to Hainan, not Formosa/Taiwan...

...It was, after all, nearer to their southern China heartland...

Only saw this Republic of Hainan TL tonight.:eek:

bump. Reading this over.

Made me feel so damn sad that I actually did so much research and put in so much effort and I can't even remember or know any of the crap I was talking about anymore.

I need to finish this. I don't even know if anyone still remembers me...

EDIT:
Interesting TL. Hainan will surely be a major base in the vietnamese conflict. I guess that the Americans will help the Hainanese governement to eradicate the communist stronghold in the highlands.

Just read this. And got reminded of my original plans. This is definitely close. Also, faster reconstruction and infrastructure building as it will be a huge base of operations for America. But at the same time, I don't want to write anything until I know the background again. I am just so damn ashamed of myself for forgetting.

Last edited: