The renaming of Maryland

Maryland was named for Queen Henrietta Maria, who was the wife of King Charles I of England.
In 1632 King Charles granted the land that was to become Maryland to Cecilius (Cecil) Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore.

Suppose the Maryland colony was not named Maryland. What is the new name?

Latinized to Mariana.

Puritans during their brief dominance seemed to call the whole colony Providence, not just the future Annapolis.

I live in Maryland, don't go changing the name. I have a lot of address labels that would become obsolete.

Maryland was founded as an opportunity to grant religious freedom to the Catholics who remained in Anglican England. Queen Henrietta Maria was a Catholic. I hate to burst the bubble of you anti-papist but Maryland has a long association with Catholicism.

Maryland was founded as an opportunity to grant religious freedom to the Catholics who remained in Anglican England. Queen Henrietta Maria was a Catholic. I hate to burst the bubble of you anti-papist but Maryland has a long association with Catholicism.

This is exactly what I wanted to point out, but you've already beat me to it.

Maryland is, along with Rhode Island, the only state of the original thirteen that has a huge Roman Catholic population, with a slight majority even nowadays, IIRC (if, in the case of Maryland, we don't count its Protestant churches as one block).

This is exactly what I wanted to point out, but you've already beat me to it.

Maryland is, along with Rhode Island, the only state of the original thirteen that has a huge Roman Catholic population, with a slight majority even nowadays, IIRC (if, in the case of Maryland, we don't count its Protestant churches as one block).

Plurality. You're saying that Catholics are a plurality. And, as a matter of fact, a majority of the original thirteen are plurality Catholic nowadays, as you can see in the map in this Vox article; every single one north of the Potomac except for New Hampshire and Delaware (also Vermont and Maine, but they weren't original thirteen) has a plurality Catholic population. Which maybe isn't so surprising when you think of all the Irish, Italians, Latin Americans, and so on and so forth that emigrated to those areas in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Isn't the plurality of the entire country Catholic?

And why change the name of Maryland? I'm more concerned with changing its shape. It looks like a gerrymandered congressional district.

And why change the name of Maryland? I'm more concerned with changing its shape. It looks like a gerrymandered congressional district.

Yep. Immigration from Latin America has really driven the rise of the Catholic population. It's the largest individual denomination. Baptists are a distant second.

The map that petike submitted groups several denominations together, so I wouldn't know if Catholicism is a plurality the way they define the groups.

Anyway, some names
Cecilia
Calvertia
Cavertland
Baltimore
Georgia (after the King, or after Cecil Calvert's father)
Annland (for a more Protestant friendly renaming around the time that Ann Arundel Town was renamed to Annapolis)