The Red Baron Runs for Office?

Hey all, just thought I'd pass this recent train of thought along to you all: what might it have been like if Manfred von Richthofen, had he survived, tried to go into politics after the Great War ended (still presuming a Central Powers defeat)? He seemed to be quite the popular national hero to Germany, propaganda or no propaganda, and probably one of the most successful flying aces of the era, which brings me more to the point: could he, and not someone like Adolf Hitler, tried to bring Germany back to its greatness, maybe even helping trigger another world war? Would he regress the nation into a quasi-Fascist state (or completely, more like Mussolini)?

What effects might this have had on the Wehrmacht and Kriegsmarine (after all, while he'd had some experience in the army, his speciality was in aircrafts; knowing that Hitler preferred both the air force and land force to the German naval one, might Richthofen display a similar bias?)? If all of that were indeed even possible, whom might he try to ally Germany with?

Wasn't Richthofen born into the Prussian nobility though? He might be more inclined to become involved with a conservative party like the DNVP.

IIRC, Admiral Tirpitz sat in the Reichstag for the DNVP in the late 1920s, a Tirpitz/Richthofen leadership would be rather cool!

MrP

Banned
Wasn't Richthofen born into the Prussian nobility though? He might be more inclined to become involved with a conservative party like the DNVP.

IIRC, Admiral Tirpitz sat in the Reichstag for the DNVP in the late 1920s, a Tirpitz/Richthofen leadership would be rather cool!

So sayeth Wiki:

In 1917 Tirpitz became head of the short-lived Fatherland Party (Deutsche Vaterlandspartei), which sought to rally popular support for an all-out effort to win the First World War. After Germany's defeat he supported the right-wing Deutschnationalen Volkspartei (DNVP, German National People Party) and sat for it in the Reichstag from 1924 until 1928.

I have too much time on my hands. :D

roteux9.png

An alive and politically active Red Baron is going to steal alot of oxygen from Goering. Maybe Goering follows his squadron leader to a different party than the Nazis.