"The Realm of Millions of Years": The World of an Atenist Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since People are Getting Antsy ;)

Hey folks!

Glad to see there's still interest, I know this TL updates infrequently (*coughunderstatementcough*) these days, and I appreciate you sticking around :)

That said, The Realm of Millions of Years is still very much in an "it updates when it updates" stage (though rest assured that it's not dead unless I explicitly say so). Unsatisfying? Absolutely. But that's just where I'm at right now, in terms of my ability to sit down, research, and write updates that I deem fit for my own standards and for your consumption.

Cheers!
NikoZnate

Hey folks!

Glad to see there's still interest, I know this TL updates infrequently (*coughunderstatementcough*) these days, and I appreciate you sticking around :)

That said, The Realm of Millions of Years is still very much in an "it updates when it updates" stage (though rest assured that it's not dead unless I explicitly say so). Unsatisfying? Absolutely. But that's just where I'm at right now, in terms of my ability to sit down, research, and write updates that I deem fit for my own standards and for your consumption.

Cheers!
NikoZnate

Well, you know that this is the sort of post that gets everyone excited as if there is an update coming... so i'll keep hoping for as long as it takes.

Niko,

Forgive my confusion and asking a question well after the fact. But where does the title "Divine Adoratrice" come from? I was under the impression that title didn't emerge in conventional history until well after the 18th Dynasty. Is there some poetic license at work here (Aten laying claim to the title often associated with its rival Amun, perhaps?) or is my understanding of Egyptian history once again proving inadequate?

Niko,

Forgive my confusion and asking a question well after the fact. But where does the title "Divine Adoratrice" come from? I was under the impression that title didn't emerge in conventional history until well after the 18th Dynasty. Is there some poetic license at work here (Aten laying claim to the title often associated with its rival Amun, perhaps?) or is my understanding of Egyptian history once again proving inadequate?

In OTL, the term "Divine Adoratrice (of Amun)" emerges in the 26th/Saïte Dynasty as a term for the "God's Wife (of Amun)", a title for the high priestess attested as early as the Middle Kingdom and an office that began to accrue notable power in the 18th Dynasty well before Akhenaten took the throne. In TTL, by dint of how Atenist theology has developed and the constraints of Egyptian religious vocabulary, an identical title (and a similar office) has emerged.

I feel okay to post since Niko posted more or less recently. I love this TL and discovered it by complete accident. I do have a question, what are some good sources on Atenist Egypt and the state of the Fertile crescent at this time?

In OTL, the term "Divine Adoratrice (of Amun)" emerges in the 26th/Saïte Dynasty as a term for the "God's Wife (of Amun)", a title for the high priestess attested as early as the Middle Kingdom and an office that began to accrue notable power in the 18th Dynasty well before Akhenaten took the throne. In TTL, by dint of how Atenist theology has developed and the constraints of Egyptian religious vocabulary, an identical title (and a similar office) has emerged.

I was under the impression that the title of "Divine Adoratrice" entered into use sometime between the XX and XXI dynasties (IIRC) more or less around the beginning of the so-called "Third Intermediate Period".

I feel okay to post since Niko posted more or less recently. I love this TL and discovered it by complete accident. I do have a question, what are some good sources on Atenist Egypt and the state of the Fertile crescent at this time?

The Egyptologist/archaeologist Barry Kemp has written extensively on the Amarna Period, though most comprehensive overviews of Egyptian history will tend to go into it in detail (anomalies are fun, and Akhet-Aten is still one of the best preserved Egyptian cities, even if it was planned rather than "organic"). The Amarna Letters themselves (compiled in book form) are an excellent primary source on the politics of the time. I'd recommend Van de Mieroop's History of the Ancient Near East for an overview of the Fertile Crescent as a whole, and anything by Trevor Bryce relating to the Hittites.

I was under the impression that the title of "Divine Adoratrice" entered into use sometime between the XX and XXI dynasties (IIRC) more or less around the beginning of the so-called "Third Intermediate Period".

Upon digging further, the earliest references to the title I can find are actually from the 25th Dynasty (the Kushites use the office as a means of exerting influence over Upper Egypt, and the assumption of the office by princess Nitiqret of the 26th Dynasty - she is adopted by/named successor to the outgoing Kushite Adoratrice, Amenirdis II - is a key turning point in the dynasty's rise to power). The office seems to gain serious independent political power in the 20th/21st Dynasties, but still under the title "God's Wife" or "God's Hand".

I don't necrothread... but since people are posting.. ADD MY VOTE FOR A MILLION MORE YEARS of this thread. :D

:D

So, I was bored waiting for an update. I read van de Mieroop's book. Very interesting, but still waiting. So then I took his class. Yet here I am, still waiting. :D

Hoping you'll resume this, some day!

Status
Not open for further replies.