The Realm of God on Earth, or, Kemaatme' 'Ekwaave

an introduction
nzGa7LW.png

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
  • a depiction of the patron god of Tenochtitlan, Huītzilōpōchtli
  • an 11th century Greek depiction of what was referred to as the "Second Coming" in early Christianity
  • a piece of Chumash rock art, from the vicinity of what was then known as Sajuchu, now named Kowagna
before I start, an explanation:
this is my first real timeline on this site outside of my (discontinued) Maps and Graphics TL, though it will still have a heavy focus on those. as such, it may not be Amazing at first. however, i've at least been reading TLs here for a few years, so i'd hope that some of your skills have rubbed off on me.
this timeline has a few, in some cases slightly abstract PoDs that cannot be explained away with one single action.

in North America:
  • the Algic language family, OTL occupying almost all of the northern half of the Eastern Seaboard, is relegated to the West Coast and Columbia River Valley (where it originated). Iroquoian languages, henceforth referred to as the TTL term Ahohwkwean languages, for the most part take its place.
  • the Inuit, instead of migrating to the East displacing the Dorset Culture, migrate south towards Manitoba and Wisconsin during the Medieval Warm Period. this results in the Dorset (whose TTL name I haven't decided on) surviving in northern Quebec and Greenland.
  • an alternate Southeastern Ceremonial Complex forms in the East. traditions, art and religion spread throughout the Mississippi River (TTL name TBD) system from Louisiana to Canada. this comes with well-developed trade networks throughout the Eastern Woodlands region.
  • the forest gardening of the indigenous peoples of California develops into a strong, sustainable agricultural complex, incorporating native beans, maize spreading into the area from the South via Oasisamerica and groundnuts spreading from the East. the Tongva are able to harness it most effectively, and establish themselves as a dominant force in California.
in Europe
  • in 1039, a man born as Theudas Rahman in Palestine suffers a severe injury to his left arm, and has a vision of an angel telling him that he is the reincarnation of Christ. he sets out on foot to Rome with little supplies, but manages to convince townspeople of his divine power by performing "miracles". by the time he reaches Constantinople, he had convinced thousands of peasants and even a significant amount of clergy to believe in his divinity.
these two, somewhat self-contained worlds across the ocean are extremely different in premise and tone but i promise they'll eventually meet. the first chapter will be set in Southern California, a look into the nascent Tongva civilization, the circumstances surrounding their ascendance, and their immediate neighbors.
i'll hopefully be alternating between the two continents for each chapter, though if something in one continent captures my immediate interest more I may break this rule. after the first chapter, I'll detail the early years of Jesus Christ the Second.

maps (will be updated):
  • QOpFoxv.png
  • DJ8AJX1.png

a postscript: i'm aware that pre-columbian TLs have been popping up quite a bit as of late, and i absolutely love them. i hope that mine is unique enough for your tastes.
a note: the phrase kemaatme' 'ekwaave in the thread's title means "they came from here" in the language of the Tongva.

Last edited:
i. the kingdoms of southern califerne
the scene: a gathering of hundreds are standing in the plaza of Povuungar[1], known as the ancestral creation-place of your people. men speak in tongues that are just slightly familiar, and you can just barely understand them. those you know as the wisest of your kiiy[2] are negotiating with men of a neighboring kiiy on a wooden platform in the center of the square. this had been a relatively common scene for the past few years. the Ivelkalem[3] expansion near an allied kiiy, Anonga has provoked your kiiy's wisest to search for allies. the rich land around the lake of Paui[4], supporting farming of goosefoot, mesquite, maize, beans, and squash. outside the city, the Basin of Tovaangar stretches to the ocean.

images

the outset of the 11th century is the most commonly given timeframe for the establishment of the Tongvan Hegemony in Southern Califerne. the term doesn't particularly describe a coherent "state" or even an "empire", merely a collection of allied city-states coming together for protection. it never had any central leader, nor a centralized government. however, the central peoples of the Basin of Tovaangar would enforce tribute from their neighbors, creating a system of hegemonic rule. what united the Tongvan kiiy were shared heritage and religion, though religious conflict would later lead to its end. its significance is primarily amplifying the rise of urban civilization in Califerne, and being the origin of a collective Tongvan cultural identity. names of Tongva figures of this time period are scarce, and those that are known of today were preserved through oral histories dating back to before the introduction of writing. some names of cities are believed to be named after chiefs or other local leaders of the area.
the early years of the 11th century saw the creation of a system of roads, primarily within the Basin. the Basin of Tovaangar was the most densely populated area of pre-Exodus Califerne, with a population estimated to be approximately 150,000 at the time of the Exodus's arrival. regional communication was a necessity to maintain a flow of trade from the inland, and so a system of roads called in the Tongvan tongue the poh'a was carved out at first between cities in the relatively flat Basin, but then were imported into cities to aid organization. the Tongva used a square grid structure of roads to organize their cities, including a square in the center commonly used for public markets and oration.
the neighbors of the Tongva were, by direction:
  • to the direct south, the Acjachemen. the Acjachemen were linguistic brethren of the Tongva, a branch of the Takic peoples, and were on good terms with the group. intermarriage between Tongva and Acjachemen was common in southern cities, populated by both peoples. they would later be vassalized by the Tongva, and their largest kiiy of Iisanchanga would be directly administered.
  • to the west , the Chumash. land contact between the Chumash and Tongva at first was uncommon, as both groups had a strong tradition of canoeing to the Channel Islands. at times they were enemies and at times trade partners, and in the end they too were vassalized. their chief kiiy was Lojostagni, directly west along the coast from Yaanga.
  • to the north, the Te'po'ta'ahl. they were poorly documented contemporarily, but sporadically traded with, due to speaking a language unrelated to any of their neighbors. however, they left archaeological records primarily at their settlement of En-'ne-sen.
  • to the east, the Madqwadabaya. their name meaning "Desert People" in the Yavapai language, they were the westernmost branch of the Yavapai groups. they inhabited the eastern extents of the Mojave Desert, and as such were not often contacted. they were much more involved in the Yavapaian sphere of influence than the Tongvan.
  • to the south, the Ivilyuqaletem, the traditional rival of the Tongva. they inhabited the shores of Lake Paui and formed a proto-hydraulic oligarchy based around irrigation of the Paui Basin. through them, agriculture and irrigation were introduced to Southern Califerne by way of the Guwevkabaya.
a map of the Tongvan hegemony, Ivilyuqaletem hegemony and surrounding locales in Southern Califerne, the mid-11th century:
ThYQwVN.png
1. the second-largest Tongva village, located in OTL eastern Long Beach. in Tongvan mythology, it is the birthplace of the culture hero Chinigchinix and the place of emergence of their people.
2. Tongva word for "house", metaphorically extended to mean a city-state comparable to the idea of an Aztec altepetl. divided along larger ethnic lines first and tribal lines second.
3. Tongva exonym for the Ivilyuqaletem (Serrano), their southerly neighbors
4. Lake Cahuilla (in modern times, the Salton Sea), which was at this time considerably larger and less saline than OTL's equivalent. it supports irrigation and agriculture around its shores. it is home to the Ivilyuqaletem, but at this time Takic peoples (Tongva, Tataviam, Maarrênga'yam, Acjachemen) are expanding into it.

Last edited:
A very interesting premise. I look forward to the timeline.

Regarding the Ivilyuqaletem, there is mention of a hydraulic oligarchy. Is this a similar occurrence to some theorized origins for powerful lords in Mesopotamia? Such as, Sargon ‘the Gardener’ or more grandiose: Sargon, ‘He who Hath Irrigated.’

It is also quite interesting how very early in development, the Califerne peoples have developed roads. Perhaps a less necessary reliance upon riverways than many old world cultures.

Regarding the Ivilyuqaletem, there is mention of a hydraulic oligarchy. Is this a similar occurrence to some theorized origins for powerful lords in Mesopotamia?
that's what I was thinking of while plotting out the civilizations of the Southwest. OTL we know that the Hohokam (ITTL referred to as Hisatsinom, might actually retcon that to Othama) and Ancestral Puebloans (ITTL coterminous with the Guwevkabaya and other Yavapai) had complex irrigation systems similar to that of the Near East and Egypt. they were a pretty sedentary society mostly based around agriculture in the Gila and Salt River Valleys, and they were able to support cities of thousands of people. he who controls the water supply controls the populace pretty much in a society like this.
Perhaps a less necessary reliance upon riverways than many old world cultures.
yeah, there aren't really a ton of arterial rivers in SoCal. that's not to say the Tongva don't like water though, they (and the Chumash) are well known for their tomols (ITTL i'll be referring to them as ti'aat, they'll come back later) which were built for travelling along the coast, primarily to the Channel Islands. Santa Catalina in specific was a center of the Tongva; it had a large soapstone quarry and abundant fish. the Tongva are quite adept at seafaring.
you might be pleased to hear about the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers and their influence on civilizations in Central California later though. they're much longer than anything in SoCal, and essentially run straight down through the Central Valley.

ii. northern califerne, and of the ti'aat
16am327.jpg
a rule of thumb in the north of Califerne is that the farther north you travel, the more traditional people are. in general, influences from the South (and by extension, Mexico) struggled to penetrate the more fragmented nations of the region, fading or being mutated over the long distances. in comparison to the cities of southern Califerne, northern cities were smaller and less dense, though the Yokuts have adopted some Tongvan customs in architecture and planning. the Yokuts are the group with the closest trading relations to the Tongvans, being in very close proximity to the Tongvan vassal kiiy of Azucsagna.
the Cosomne[1] and Huchiun[2] rivers run straight up and down the Valley of Califerne, and are an axis and and artery of the region culturally and economically. the Cosomne is navigable for 256 miles, and the Huchiun 211. the former runs north into the lands of the Patwin and Achumawi, and the latter flows south to Lake Tulare, the center of the Yokuts. both rivers' mouths lay at the eastern end of Ohlone Bay[3], and a short portage between a tributary of the Huchiun and the Azucsagna River takes one into the realms of the Tongva. this system of interconnected waterways creates a robust trading network, able to relatively quickly transfer goods up and down the region via boat.

Tomol+Lines.gif

the trade network of Califerne relied deeply on boats, specifically the Tongva-invented ti'aat. while rowing boats are common anywhere where there's water, the ti'aat was the only design of the region capable of making long coastal journeys. the concept of their invention originates from the ancestral rafts of tule reeds used to settle the region millennia ago. in Southern Califerne, pits of tar are common, and were discovered to have a waterproofing effect. eventually, the building material changed from reeds to redwood plank, and the rafts became larger. by the 11th century, the Tongva had developed the ti'aat, a boat 7-12 meters long that could sometimes carry up to 15 people on the open ocean. the design was adapted to the rivers of Northern Califerne after spreading to the Yokuts, and it became a common sight on trade routes to see smaller ti'aat taken across a portage.

XAlarRd.png

the nations of the region:
the Ohlone: inhabitants of the southern Bay Area. they originated in the Salinas Valley but are being pushed north by the Te'po'ta'ahl. they are settled, and live in cities generally of 1,000 to 5,000, with the largest (Ahwaste, on the Pulgas Peninsula[4]) numbering approximately 7,000. they have adopted the southern methods of agriculture in their lands, primarily around the mouths of the Salinas and Huchiun rivers. the Ramaytush dialect of their language is most dominant, and about half of their territory is governed from Ahwaste.
the Yokuts: an umbrella term for the groups north of Lake Tulare on the Huchiun River. their cities are dense compared to their neighbors, often numbering in the tens of thousands. they have adopted Tongvan styles of construction, and are the group that trade most extensively with them, and have adopted their boats for navigation, spreading them throughout the river system peoples. however, they are disunited, and could easily be vassalized or even conquered by the Tongva.
the Miwok: divided into 3 groups. the Plains Miwok in the Cosomne River Valley, the Bay Miwok, centralized into a proto-state by their chief city of Iiwanelowa, and the Coast Miwok north of Clear Lake. unlike their neighbors to the south, they continue to mostly practice their traditional form of agriculture outside of Iiwanelowa lands, while the petty kingdom and areas around the mouth of the Cosomne are relatively "modernized".
the Patwin: a relatively isolated group. their territories mainly lie on tributaries of the Cosomne, and navigation becomes difficult on it around where their territory begins. they live in large villages between 700 to 2000 people, and largely subsist agriculturally.
the Cahto: one of the odd ones out. they speak a Na-Dene language and don't associate much with outsiders. their largest city of Nachulna' is said to be rich from trade with those to the far north. contact with the Miwok is sparse and generally hostile.
the Wiyot and Yurok: another regionally isolated group, speaking an Algic language. they too associate more with the people of the north, and come into contact with them much more.

1. Sacramento River
2. San Joaquin River
3. SF Bay
4. SF Peninsula

Very very interested in this timeline, there has been a large uptick in Pre-Columbian timelines recently, and another is never not wanted.

Kudos and good luck though, the detail already in just the region in California is impressive, yet you have taken on the onerous task of changing the Old World too which is a stark change from most Pre-Columbian timelines who like to just keep the Old World the same until 1492.

Excited to see where this goes.

Interesting. I take it this results in the followers of "Jesus" eventually fleeing across the Atlantic like the Nephites and others in the Book of Mormon?

How has the cult of Chingichngish (aka Quaoar) spread/developed amongst the more numerous/sophisticated Tongva TTL? Or for that matter the cult of Kuksu amongst the Miwok and Patwin?

I take it this results in the followers of "Jesus" eventually fleeing across the Atlantic like the Nephites and others in the Book of Mormon?

sort of. the situation in Europe around 1100 AD is going to be vaguely analogous to the Taiping Rebellion in concept (guy claiming to be Jesus (or related to him) and starting a terrifying rebellion/movement/nation) and scale of destruction. his empire sends nonbelievers of the new Christ into the sea, and many settle in places outside the theocracy's control like Britain, Africa and Scandinavia. some of those that make it to Norway end up in Iceland/Greenland, settle colonies there, and from there mirror Norse explorers and eventually land in Labrador. i don't intend for European cultures to be at all dominant in NA though, at least for a few centuries. Europeans having knowledge of another continent in the 1000s AD without being able to extensively colonize will be interesting though.
the followers of "Jesus" will end up in secluded areas, like the mountains of Georgia and Anatolia after his death and the general collapse of order in Europe, and eventually fade out.

How has the cult of Chingichngish (aka Quaoar) spread/developed amongst the more numerous/sophisticated Tongva TTL? Or for that matter the cult of Kuksu amongst the Miwok and Patwin?
i plan to write a chapter about the contact between the religions of Califerne, since the Tongva are very much in contact with the area. my first draft for the first chapter had more of a focus on this, but i scrapped it for the time being to develop it more.
speaking of, Califerne is a French exonym for the area, which should tell you something about the future of North America (it's NOT french colonization of the west coast though). the tradition of navigation among the Tongva does make me want to start using a proper autonym for the area, but i'm not really sure what i'd use as resources on the language are a bit scarce. i'm also not entirely sure if the people of the area would really consider such a large area as one entity anyways.

sort of. the situation in Europe around 1100 AD is going to be vaguely analogous to the Taiping Rebellion in concept (guy claiming to be Jesus (or related to him) and starting a terrifying rebellion/movement/nation) and scale of destruction. his empire sends nonbelievers of the new Christ into the sea, and many settle in places outside the theocracy's control like Britain, Africa and Scandinavia. some of those that make it to Norway end up in Iceland/Greenland, settle colonies there, and from there mirror Norse explorers and eventually land in Labrador. i don't intend for European cultures to be at all dominant in NA though, at least for a few centuries. Europeans having knowledge of another continent in the 1000s AD without being able to extensively colonize will be interesting though.

That's even worse for Medieval Europe if this guy gains that much power. You mentioned some go to Africa, and 1100 AD is before the final extinction of African Christianity at the hands of the intolerant Almohads (African Romance was still spoken, and a few decades before they had three active bishoprics and the community wrote to the Pope asking him to help their rather dire situation). Does the mean a Christian Kingdom of Africa/Carthage, even if it isn't quite an African Romance-speaking one? I couldn't imagine Christians fleeing from this false Christ's rule would be accepted by the Muslim states there, but said Muslim states wouldn't much accept the false Christ to begin with.

i plan to write a chapter about the contact between the religions of Califerne, since the Tongva are very much in contact with the area. my first draft for the first chapter had more of a focus on this, but i scrapped it for the time being to develop it more.
Don't forget the "World Renewal Cult" amongst the Yurok, Karok, and neighbours, since it's usually mentioned alongside the cults of Kuksu and Chingichngish as one of the major classifications of indigenous religions.

Have to give huge credits for the maps--those are beautiful. Although I notice you have the anachronistic dam lakes (like Fort Peck Lake in Montana, the dam lakes on the Columbia, or the TVA lakes in Tennessee/Alabama/Kentucky). Still, I'd be curious what groups you've displayed like the Yuchi might do, since they occupy the same spot as the Middle Tennessee Mississippian and their major centers like Mound Bottom, Castalian Springs, or the long-since demolished/pillaged mounds in modern Nashville whose influence stretched far beyond their immediate vicinity.

Do the enigmatic cog stones/cog wheels of the Los Angeles Basin play a role in the spiritual or religious beliefs of the ATL Tongva?

Cog+Stone+group+image.jpg

Do the enigmatic cog stones/cog wheels of the Los Angeles Basin play a role in the spiritual or religious beliefs of the ATL Tongva?

from what I know, the cog stones were created at the least 4,000 years ago, while the ancestors of the Tongva arrived in California from Nevada only about 3,000 years ago. they are quite intriguing, though.

iii. the path of christ, part 1
Ca9ovzeW8AAqbaQ.jpg

on March 3rd, 1013 AD, near the Fatimid city of Aqaba, a man named Theudas Rahman was born into a community of Christian dhimmi to unknown parents. as a young adult, he became a carpenter of not much note. he was known to be able to read and write in Arabic, Latin, and Greek, the latter of which he had taught himself. he used this ability primarily to study theology with what little resources were available to him in Aqaba. Rahman was even perhaps a more capable theologian than a carpenter, as exemplified by the injury that triggered his "epiphany".

in 1039, at the age of 27, Rahman suffered a traumatic injury to his left arm. the exact source of this injury is unknown, but stories vary from a great fall from a castle wall, to his arm being crushed by a falling crate, to even a violent altercation. no matter the cause, the injury resulted eventually resulted in the limb's amputation. Rahman at first eschewed treatment from local doctors, believing faith to be sufficient to heal him, but eventually resigned himself to enlisting a surgeon to amputate his arm, which had became infected and life-threatening. according to his own account, he lost consciousness from pain and while unconscious, saw God and Christ himself, who told him that he was chosen to prepare the world for them, and that he must create a Kingdom of God on Earth. they granted him the title of Jesus Christ the Second. and so, Jesus Christ II set out on a disastrous, likely schizophrenically-induced quest across Europe resulting in a great plague, numerous political murders, immense wars of religion, expulsion of thousands across the sea, and the eventual collapse of all order on the continent.

16e66bf114e146ee16a70cd95e393c45.jpg

THE CONVALESCENCE PERIOD
Rahman, at this point still in recovery from the full amputation of his arm, was planning furiously from his home. his prescribed bed-rest allotted him ample time to refine his plans for the spread of the good word of Jesus Christ. according to various accounts, he acquired the Holy Wounds minus one (the nail through his left hand) either during the amputation or while resting at home. modern historians generally accept them to be self-inflicted in religious fervor. the Greek and Latin books of theology he so beloved as a "mortal man" were thrown out the window, as he penned his own interpretations and commentary on the Holy Scripture, his authority to do so based on him supposedly contacting God himself. Rahman never did claim to be able to communicate directly with God and Christ after his vision. in Greek, he penned in a frenzied pace what he christened the Epilogés, essentially a strange synthesis of Eastern and Western ideas that he had read before his injuring, citing such names as Aristotle, Ibn Sina, Al-Farabi, John of Damascus and Paul the Apostle. this book was written as a series of short articles, designed to teach his future theoretical followers. he transcribed at least 20 copies of the 600,000 word book, which were revered as holy artifacts by the remnants of his cult after his death until the 17th century.

knowing that he lived in the Fatimid Caliphate, Rahman knew that a Muslim-majority region would not be as receptive to a Second Christ as, well, Christian regions. so, he resolved to leave the Caliphate and travel through the Levant and Anatolia to Constantinople to attempt to convince authorities there, and by extension those in his path of his divinity. after completing his first batch of copies of Epilogés, he left Aqaba on horseback in late 1039, books in tow, hellbent on establishing a Kingdom of God on Earth.

500px-Fra_Angelico_-_The_Last_Judgement_%28Winged_Altar%29_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

So, all the fervor of the Crusades is essentially turned inward, as the Europeans highborn and lowborn who might have otherwise sailed to Palestine instead join the westward-bound procession of the returned Christ? A disaster like this so soon after the tail-end of the Viking and Magyar raids... Whatever new order emerges out of this, the old order will most certainly be obliterated.

Recently I've been reading about some of the oddities of the various conquests of Ireland, in which nearly every group of conquerors- Norse, Normans, etc.-- seems to have assimilated culturally to the point of adopting Gaelic, but settled into a unique economic niche, like the Norman merchant families of Galway (who recognized a distinction between themselves and the rural Gaels, even as they remained tied with them economically and increasingly like them in habit). Thus rooted in Irish society, they resisted whatever new invaders were on the way (keeping Catholicism in the face of Tudor/Stuart/Commonwealth persecution, joining armed revolts, etc). Might the European intrusion into the Dorset and Ahohwkwean worlds be similar?

Last edited:
Recently I've been reading about some of the oddities of the various conquests of Ireland, in which nearly every group of conquerors- Norse, Normans, etc.-- seems to have assimilated culturally to the point of adopting Gaelic, but settled into a unique economic niche, like the Norman merchant families of Galway (who recognized a distinction between themselves and the rural Gaels, even as they remained tied with them economically and increasingly like them in habit). Thus rooted in Irish society, they resisted whatever new invaders were on the way (keeping Catholicism in the face of Tudor/Stuart/Commonwealth persecution, joining armed revolts, etc). Might the European intrusion into the Dorset and Ahohwkwean worlds be similar?

when in Rome, do as the Romans do. the first wave of European "settlers" aren't really in any position to have conflict with the natives (being a haggard, starving, freezing convoy of a few thousand Gnostics, Jews and other "heretics"), so instead they'll adapt to the new environment with their aid. for the most part, they assimilate. this in addition gives the locals the helpful bonus of resistance to European diseases, for when Europe is stable enough to come back to the New World a few centuries later.

Very interesting update. A question: is Theubias Rahman an Arab by origin? It is curious for a non-Arab Christian to have had Arabic as their mother tongue at this period. Quite interesting.

iv. some terminology, history of settlement and major alt-language families
1XPB8Ny.png
in this update, I'll mostly be focusing on putting together some terminology and locations to be Canonized, mostly for my personal organization purposes before we go back to check on Jesus Christ II. above is a (very simplified) map of the language families of North America i put together to straighten out some ideas floating around in my head.

the languages:
Ahohwkwean
- ATL name for Iroquoian. originated in the Appalachian Mountains and spread out into 2 major groups, Western Ahohwkwean and Eastern Ahohwkwean. Western groups migrate a. down the Ohio River to the American Bottom (the Kahqua), b. through Illinois to Michigan (the Tionantani) and c. to the Carolinas (Tsalagi and Cheroenhaka). the Eastern groups (in chronological order) form a. the not-yet-united Haudenosaunee groups (Mohawk, Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, and Seneca), b. the Wyandot, c. the Ganaraske, closely related to the Mohawk, d. the Maritime groups of the Mikmwea and Abenehke, and e. the Toudamon, Stadacona and other Laurentian groups.
Ahohwkwean divisions:
Northern Ahohwkwean
Inland/Lake Ahohwkwean
Five Nations
- Mohawk-Ganaraske
- Onondaga
- Cayuga
- Oneida
- Seneca​
Wyandot
- Wyandot
- Attawandaron​
Atlantic Ahohwkwean
Maritime
- Abenahke
- Mikmwea​
Laurentian
- Toudaman
- Stadacona​
Tuscarora
- Tuscarora​
Wenrohronon
- Wenrohronon​
Southern Ahohwkwean
Ohio Valley
Shanwan
- Meherrin
- Kahqua
- Arendahronon​
Agansean
- Tionantati​
Katenuakan
Skuarureakan
- Cheroenhaka​
Tsalagi
- Tsalagi

Muscogean - the people of what in OTL is the Deep South (Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia) + northern Florida. most of these are the people that Hernando de Soto travelled through the lands of on his expedition OTL. divided into 3 groups, Chikahta, Guala, and Altamaha. it originated in the vicinity of where the Arkansas River meets the Mississippi.
Muscogean divisions:
Chikahta
- Chikashshanompa
- Chahta​
Guala
- Mvskoke
- Simanoli​
Altamaha
Alabama–Koasati
- Alibamu
- Koasati
- Apalachee​
Hitchiti-Mikasuki
- Hitchiti
- Mikasuki

Siouan/Sakowian - the language family of most of the Great Plains. groups on the fringes inhabit Ohio and the Algic homeland, and others inhabit the mouth of the Mississippi. their area of origin is located in the central Plains, earlier than OTL where they originated in the Ohio River Valley.
Sakowian divisions:
North Sakowian
Mandan
- Nuetare​
Dakotan
- Lakótiyapi
- Isanyathi
- So'taeo'o
- Ihankthunwan​
Chiwere-Winnebago
- Chiwere
- Winnebago​
Canupawakpa
- Canupawakpa​
South Sakowian
Mississippi
Missouri
- Absaroke
- Hidatsa​
Tenasi
- Omaha-Ponca
- Kansa
- Osage​
Thithunwan
- Thithunwan​
Bay Sakowian
Biloxi
- Biloxi
- Mdewakanton​
Ofo
- Ofo​
Catawban
Catawban
- Catawba
- Wacamaw
Algic - language of the central West Coast up into the Columbia River Valley. They originated on the upper Missouri River, but were displaced after the Sakowian expansion to the west. They split into two groups, the Ritwan of northernmost Califerne and the Algonquin of the remainder of their range, with the isolated Ktunaxa often grouped with them.
Algic divisions:
Algonquin
Interior Algonquin
Arapahoan
- Nawathinehena
- Besawunena
- Ahahnelin
- Siksiká​
Cree
- Nehiyawewin
- Nīhithawiwin​
Omaeqnomenew
- Omaeqnomenew​
Coast Algonquin
Ochepwa
- Onanghisse
- Washee​
Mesgukee
- Sautnee
- Meskwakiatoweni
- Thakiwatoweweni​
Myamin
- Myamin​
Ritwan
Ritwan
- Yurok
- Wiyot​
Ktunaxa
- Ktunaxa

Tanoan - a comparatively smaller language family, but relevant due to their role in the cultural complex of Oasisamerica at the sacred city-states of Kaui-kope and Ohkay-owingeh. the Tewa and their cultural kin, the Kiowa of the plains, have largely grown apart.
Tanoan divisions:
Puebloan
Tewa
- Tewa​
Tiwa
Northern
- Taos
- Picuris​
Southern
- Piro
- Sandi​
Kiowa
- Kiowan

Yuman - another language family of the Oasisamerica civilization. they rule the powerful states of the Havaasu and Guwevkabaya, in coalition against the Othama and Huatepec.
Yuman divisions:
Inland
Pai
- Yavapai
- Havasupai
- Walapai
- Paipai​
Colorado
- Quechan
- Maricopa
- Mohave​
Coastal
Delta
- Ipay
- Komeyaay
- Tipai
- Cocopah​
Cochimi
-Cochimi​

Othama-Huatepec - ATL Uto-Aztecan. i don't want to reveal too much about them yet since I've yet to write an update about the Huatepecs, Othama, and other Oasisamerica cultures, so I'm not writing a family tree for them (yet). it is important to note that the language of the Tongva, and their immediate neighbors are Uto-Aztecan, of the Serran family.

Penutian - the widest-spread language family of the West Coast, and also one of the broadest. OTL this classification is... debated but for this TL I'm invoking Artistic License: Linguistics. the family was accepted up to the mid-20th century, when scholars began to doubt the classification. however, there are still linguists that support this theory today. if you're really titillated by the prospect of a Penutian family, then you should research it for yourself as I am not a professional linguist.
Penutian divisions:
Maritime
Coast Oregon
- Alsea
- Siuslaw
- Coos​
Tsimshianic
- Tsimshian
- Nisga’a​
Chinook
- Clatsop
- Katlamat
- Kiksht​
Wintuan
- Wintu
- Nomlaki
- Patwin​
Inland
Yok-Utian
Utian
- Miwok
- Ohlone​
Yokuts
- too many dialects to count​
Maidu
- Maidu​
Plateau Penutian
Sahaptian
- Niimi'ipuutímt
- Sħáptənəxw​
- Molala
- Klamath-Modoc​

map: western hahnunah in 1050
yhPV223.png

made an annotated map of what we currently have going on in AD 1050. on a side note I've decided on a name for North America, "Hahnunah" from Seneca Hah-nu-nah "The Turtle" (in the mythological sense of the turtle supporting the world), distinguished from Ha-no-wa "turtle" (regular).