The Realm of God on Earth, or, Kemaatme' 'Ekwaave

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by lou3004, Oct 10, 2019 at 1:08 AM.

1. Threadmarks: an introduction

lou3004 she/her

[​IMG]
    FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
    • a depiction of the patron god of Tenochtitlan, Huītzilōpōchtli
    • an 11th century Greek depiction of what was referred to as the "Second Coming" in early Christianity
    • a piece of Chumash rock art, from the vicinity of what was then known as Sajuchu, now named Kowagna
    before I start, an explanation:
    this is my first real timeline on this site outside of my (discontinued) Maps and Graphics TL, though it will still have a heavy focus on those. as such, it may not be Amazing at first. however, i've at least been reading TLs here for a few years, so i'd hope that some of your skills have rubbed off on me.
    this timeline has a few, in some cases slightly abstract PoDs that cannot be explained away with one single action.

in North America:
    • the Algic language family, OTL occupying almost all of the northern half of the Eastern Seaboard, is relegated to the West Coast and Columbia River Valley (where it originated). Iroquoian languages, henceforth referred to as the TTL term Ahohwkwean languages, for the most part take its place.
    • the Inuit, instead of migrating to the East displacing the Dorset Culture, migrate south towards Manitoba and Wisconsin during the Medieval Warm Period. this results in the Dorset (whose TTL name I haven't decided on) surviving in northern Quebec and Greenland.
    • an alternate Southeastern Ceremonial Complex forms in the East. traditions, art and religion spread throughout the Mississippi River (TTL name TBD) system from Louisiana to Canada. this comes with well-developed trade networks throughout the Eastern Woodlands region.
    • the forest gardening of the indigenous peoples of California develops into a strong, sustainable agricultural complex, incorporating native beans, maize spreading into the area from the South via Oasisamerica and groundnuts spreading from the East. the Tongva are able to harness it most effectively, and establish themselves as a dominant force in California.
    in Europe
    • in 1039, a man born as Theudas Rahman in Palestine suffers a severe injury to his left arm, and has a vision of an angel telling him that he is the reincarnation of Christ. he sets out on foot to Rome with little supplies, but manages to convince townspeople of his divine power by performing "miracles". by the time he reaches Constantinople, he had convinced thousands of peasants and even a significant amount of clergy to believe in his divinity.
    these two, somewhat self-contained worlds across the ocean are extremely different in premise and tone but i promise they'll eventually meet. the first chapter will be set in Southern California, a look into the nascent Tongva civilization, the circumstances surrounding their ascendance, and their immediate neighbors.
    i'll hopefully be alternating between the two continents for each chapter, though if something in one continent captures my immediate interest more I may break this rule. after the first chapter, I'll detail the early years of Jesus Christ the Second.

maps (will be updated):
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

a postscript: i'm aware that pre-columbian TLs have been popping up quite a bit as of late, and i absolutely love them. i hope that mine is unique enough for your tastes.
    a note: the phrase kemaatme' 'ekwaave in the thread's title means "they came from here" in the language of the Tongva.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 1:39 AM
  2. XFE Formerly Xianfeng Emperor

Subbed!

lou3004 likes this.
  3. Threadmarks: i. the kingdoms of southern califerne

lou3004 she/her

the scene: a gathering of hundreds are standing in the plaza of Povuungar[1], known as the ancestral creation-place of your people. men speak in tongues that are just slightly familiar, and you can just barely understand them. those you know as the wisest of your kiiy[2] are negotiating with men of a neighboring kiiy on a wooden platform in the center of the square. this had been a relatively common scene for the past few years. the Ivelkalem[3] expansion near an allied kiiy, Anonga has provoked your kiiy's wisest to search for allies. the rich land around the lake of Sa'mitah[4], supporting farming of goosefoot, mesquite, maize, beans, and squash. outside the city, the Basin of Tovaangar stretches to the ocean.

[​IMG]
    the outset of the 11th century is the most commonly given timeframe for the establishment of the Tongvan Hegemony in Southern Califerne. the term doesn't particularly describe a coherent "state" or even an "empire", merely a collection of allied city-states coming together for protection. it never had any central leader, nor a centralized government. however, the central peoples of the Basin of Tovaangar would enforce tribute from their neighbors, creating a system of hegemonic rule. what united the Tongvan kiiy were shared heritage and religion, though religious conflict would later lead to its end. its significance is primarily amplifying the rise of urban civilization in Califerne, and being the origin of a collective Tongvan cultural identity. names of Tongva figures of this time period are scarce, and those that are known of today were preserved through oral histories dating back to before the introduction of writing. some names of cities are believed to be named after chiefs or other local leaders of the area.
    the early years of the 11th century saw the creation of a system of roads, primarily within the Basin. the Basin of Tovaangar was the most densely populated area of pre-Exodus Califerne, with a population estimated to be approximately 150,000 at the time of the Exodus's arrival. regional communication was a necessity to maintain a flow of trade from the inland, and so a system of roads called in the Tongvan tongue the poh'a was carved out at first between cities in the relatively flat Basin, but then were imported into cities to aid organization. the Tongva used a square grid structure of roads to organize their cities, including a square in the center commonly used for public markets and oration.
    the neighbors of the Tongva were, by direction:
    • to the direct south, the Acjachemen. the Acjachemen were linguistic brethren of the Tongva, a branch of the Takic peoples, and were on good terms with the group. intermarriage between Tongva and Acjachemen was common in southern cities, populated by both peoples. they would later be vassalized by the Tongva, and their largest kiiy of Iisanchanga would be directly administered.
    • to the west , the Chumash. land contact between the Chumash and Tongva at first was uncommon, as both groups had a strong tradition of canoeing to the Channel Islands. at times they were enemies and at times trade partners, and in the end they too were vassalized. their chief kiiy was Lojostagni, directly west along the coast from Yaanga.
    • to the north, the Te'po'ta'ahl. they were poorly documented contemporarily, but sporadically traded with, due to speaking a language unrelated to any of their neighbors. however, they left archaeological records primarily at their settlement of En-'ne-sen.
    • to the east, the Madqwadabaya. their name meaning "Desert People" in the Yavapai language, they were the westernmost branch of the Yavapai groups. they inhabited the eastern extents of the Mojave Desert, and as such were not often contacted. they were much more involved in the Yavapaian sphere of influence than the Tongvan.
    • to the south, the Ivilyuqaletem, the traditional rival of the Tongva. they inhabited the shores of Sa'mitah and formed a proto-hydraulic oligarchy based around irrigation of the Sa'mitah Basin. through them, agriculture and irrigation were introduced to Southern Califerne by way of the Guwevkabaya.
    a map of the Tongvan hegemony, Ivilyuqaletem hegemony and surrounding locales in Southern Califerne, the mid-11th century:
    [​IMG]
    1. the second-largest Tongva village, located in OTL eastern Long Beach. in Tongvan mythology, it is the birthplace of the culture hero Chinigchinix and the place of emergence of their people.
    2. Tongva word for "house", metaphorically extended to mean a city-state comparable to the idea of an Aztec altepetl. divided along larger ethnic lines first and tribal lines second.
    3. Tongva exonym for the Ivilyuqaletem (Serrano), their southerly neighbors
    4. Lake Cahuilla (in modern times, the Salton Sea), which was at this time considerably larger and less saline than OTL's equivalent. it supports irrigation and agriculture around its shores. it is home to the Ivilyuqaletem, but at this time Takic peoples (Tongva, Tataviam, Maarrênga'yam, Acjachemen) are expanding into it.

4. John7755 يوحنا Historical Inquiries

A very interesting premise. I look forward to the timeline.

Regarding the Ivilyuqaletem, there is mention of a hydraulic oligarchy. Is this a similar occurrence to some theorized origins for powerful lords in Mesopotamia? Such as, Sargon ‘the Gardener’ or more grandiose: Sargon, ‘He who Hath Irrigated.’

It is also quite interesting how very early in development, the Califerne peoples have developed roads. Perhaps a less necessary reliance upon riverways than many old world cultures.

5. lou3004 she/her

that's what I was thinking of while plotting out the civilizations of the Southwest. OTL we know that the Hohokam (ITTL referred to as Hisatsinom, might actually retcon that to Othama) and Ancestral Puebloans (ITTL coterminous with the Guwevkabaya and other Yavapai) had complex irrigation systems similar to that of the Near East and Egypt. they were a pretty sedentary society mostly based around agriculture in the Gila and Salt River Valleys, and they were able to support cities of thousands of people. he who controls the water supply controls the populace pretty much in a society like this.
    yeah, there aren't really a ton of arterial rivers in SoCal. that's not to say the Tongva don't like water though, they (and the Chumash) are well known for their tomols (ITTL i'll be referring to them as ti'aat, they'll come back later) which were built for travelling along the coast, primarily to the Channel Islands. Santa Catalina in specific was a center of the Tongva; it had a large soapstone quarry and abundant fish. the Tongva are quite adept at seafaring.
    you might be pleased to hear about the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers and their influence on civilizations in Central California later though. they're much longer than anything in SoCal, and essentially run straight down through the Central Valley.

John7755 يوحنا likes this.