The Real-Life Administrative Divisions Changes/Updates Thread

Make people in here aware of any changes in administrative subdivisions going on around the world as the time goes on, mainly in order to keep updating contemporary maps, these subdivision changes can be of all levels you wish, no matter how miscellaneous or small the changes are.

Posts do not need to be "recent" boundary changes per-se, I have some examples in here which are not that recent, but they rarely appear in recent maps, or simply some boundary changes that most people might be unaware of, you can post changes that might not be new, but they are so obscure that most maps in here do not show, for example:
  • Angola's Luanda Province was enlarged in 2011, this happened ten years ago - yet the overwhelming majority of online maps still do not show the changes in question (I only found 3 maps of it online), the 8K-BAM map is as an example of this.
Map_of_Luanda_Province_2014.png
  • Angola's Bengo Province also changed in that same year, and yet only 3 online maps that I could find show the update.
Map_of_Bengo_Province_2014.png
  • Equatorial Guinea as of 2015 has a new province named Djibloho, where its new planned capital, Ciudad de la Paz will be located in.
location-map-of-the-djibloho-province-of-the-republic-of-equatorial-vector-id1306291750
  • The Philippines established the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in 2019
550px-Map_of_Bangsamoro_%28local_government_units%29.svg.png
  • Ethiopia's Sidama Region was separated from the SNNP Region in 2020 after a referendum on the previous year
Map_of_Sidama_Zone.png

Last edited:
France and Norway both have less subdivisions
Algeria has more subdivisions in the south
1637638825205.png

(Lighter shading indicates new subdivisions, darker indicates mergers)
Latvia has new consolidated municipalities
1637639053702.png

India dissolved Jammu and Kashmir and replaced it with territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh
1637639578291.png

Ukraine has new consolidated raions
1637640068749.png

Just found out that in 2017 Sierra Leone established a fourth province, the North West Province, and almost all maps you can find do not show it.
480px-North_West_Province_in_Sierra_Leone_2018.svg.png

After the 2020 peace agreement to end its civil war, South Sudan now has 10 states, 2 administrative areas, and the special condominium of Abyei, as most people in here might already know, the latter is co-shared with North Sudan.

2560px-SouthSudanStatesandAdministrativeAreas.svg.png

France and Norway both have less subdivisions
However, this merge between Troms and Finnmark has been very unpopular, and will eventually revert to being 2 separate counties again:
On 28 October 2021, the Norwegian government confirmed that Troms and Finnmark will become two separate counties again;[4] the goal of the Cabinet is that the demerger will take place as soon as possible; the demerger will take place [in 2022 or] well ahead of the County council elections in 2023.[5] However, in 2022 media said that county council has asked that the demerger happens prior to 1 January 2024.[6]

I made a quick map to show the three new Indonesian provinces (Central Papua, Highlands Papua, and South Papua). The borders should be accurate, but since it's only been a day, it wouldn't surprise me if I messed up somewhere due to the lack of resources available. I don't believe the borders of regencies, cities, or districts have changed.

Attachments

• Papua20220630.png
    Papua20220630.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 174
Pakistan & India in August 2021 and August 2022, updating geographical changes to the world will be extremely depressing from now on.
1024px-2022_Pakistan_Floods_-_August_27%2C_2021_vs._August_27%2C_2022_in_Sindh.jpg

Did BG lose that tentacle under Amhara Region?
Good question, I am also needing some confirmation of this change, Wikipedia also shows Benishangul-Gumuz without that pointy thing it used to have, but I cannot find a source about this alleged change so far.

The first Wikipedia image of this change dates from 2012, so this change must have happened long ago, but few people are aware of it.

Edit: The name of the district that included this is called the Yaso district, some other maps show that it indeed lose this "tentacle" some time ago, but I still want any official confirmation of that boundary change.
1263px-Benishangul-Gumuz_in_Ethiopia.svg.png

Last edited: