The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

The tanker isn't capsized; it's been taken. It it also in serious violation of American law. It's a British ship. ONLY ships registered in the USA are allowed to transport cargo or passengers from one port to another, if both ports are in the United States. If the owner of the cargo protests, Germany can point out that, since it was in a British ship, it clearly wasn't going from California to Alaska. Hmmmmm....False papers?

Ah, it was the ship mentioned just above the tanker's introduction that was capsized.

I suppose the Germans could decide to leave the tanker be, thinking the American cargo isn't worth the possible hassle.

Oh, a crazy theoretical situation. Say the Desabla is taken as a prize. The Germans then deliver the oil to its intended destination. Then leave the tanker in Juneau. The prize crew goes wherever, maybe on another prize ship. Question is, does the tanker revert to a British ship, or would it be considered a German ship?

Ah, it was the ship mentioned just above the tanker's introduction that was capsized.

I suppose the Germans could decide to leave the tanker be, thinking the American cargo isn't worth the possible hassle.

Oh, a crazy theoretical situation. Say the Desabla is taken as a prize. The Germans then deliver the oil to its intended destination. Then leave the tanker in Juneau. The prize crew goes wherever, maybe on another prize ship. Question is, does the tanker revert to a British ship, or would it be considered a German ship?

The various Hague Conventions cover all of these rules in detail. Since I read Letterstime back in the day, I well remember how detailed the rules were, and I'm sure this is covered.

Laws of War are here:
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/lawwar.asp

Edit: The Hague 1907, XIII
CONVENTION CONCERNING THE RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF NEUTRAL POWERS IN NAVAL WAR Articles 21-23
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hague13.asp

Last edited:
Purchase Order
Aug 17, 2050 hours SMS Nürnberg, Prince Rupert harbour.

SS DESALBA CARRYING 4000 TONS OF NUMBER 6 HEAVY FUEL OIL FROM SAN LOIS OBISBO CALIFORNIA TO JUNEAU ALASKA.

“Hmm,” thought Von Schönberg out loud. “That ship would make a perfect tender for the Prince Rupert, if we detach her as an auxiliary cruiser. She is a belligerent ship, but carrying a neutral cargo, and an American cargo at that.” He considered for a moment.

HAVE DESALBA CAPTAIN STAND BY.

The Nürnberg lowered her one good dinghy. The Desalba’s crew were in two boats side by side at the tanker’s landing stage when the dinghy arrived. The Desalba’s astonished captain was handed a hastily written purchase order, and two 50 pound gold ingots. “Please deliver that as payment to the owner of the cargo. And sign this as receipt of payment.” instructed the German petty officer commanding the dinghy.

When the Desalba had enough head of steam to make way, the Nurnberg’s wireless operator ceased jamming, and transmitted.

NURNBERG TO ALL STOP WITHDRAW STOP AM SOUNDING SIREN AND ILLUMINATING

DESALBA ACKNOWLEDGES

BENGROVE ACKNOWLEDGES

KRUGER ON GALIANO ACKNOWLEDGES

VON SPEE ON PRINCESS CHARLOTTE ACKNOWLEDGES

“Very interesting,” said Von Schönberg. “I expect we get the whole story soon.”

The scattered German prize fleet headed for Nürnberg’s siren, at dead slow, until they could see the glow of her powerful searchlights. At times they passed lifeboats rowing towards land. In the distance, from the city of Prince Rupert, could be heard fire bells, and vehicle engines, and the occasional gunshot. Von Schönberg noted that the Prince Rupert was lashed alongside this new coastal liner prize, the Princess Charlotte, and work parties seemed to be passing supplies across to the bigger liner bucket-brigade style. Not visible, between the ships, a bridge had been built of timbers across the gap between the two liners’ side cargo doors. Barrels of fuel oil were being rolled over, and sacks of coal that not been burst by the Anadyr’s shells were being lugged across.

The ships formed up on Nürnberg, and arranged themselves in close convoy with the Princess Charlotte and her experienced navigator in the lead. The Prince Rupert, lashed alongside and uncrewed, caused the Charlotte to move somewhat crabwise, but this was still considered to be much safer than towing her in the narrow current-swept foggy channel. Likewise, the Galiano had been retained rather than scuttled for now, but been left with the barest of skeleton crews to sail her, rather than being towed.

With Radl sounding the fog horn to echolocate their way, the convoy threaded the needle that is the entrance to Prince Rupert harbour. When the ships passed between Lima Point and Ridley Island, they could smell the open Pacific, but also a heavy burnt creosote odor. Red flares appeared overhead, and the two steam powered boats carrying Lieutenant Adler’s landing party approached and were recovered by Nürnberg. The two militiamen were taken below as Prisoners of War. The ships reached the southern end of Chatham Sound and stopped.

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca...ad8c54-e366-4c00-b2ea-4899d67e9d20-A23982.jpg

Well, if the gold makes it to the USA, the owner of the oil made a nice profit--and doesn't even have to pay for delivery of the oil. Now we have to hope that the British don't confiscate the gold, saying it was stolen to begin with!

Showing my math:

4000 tons of bunker C = 29320 Barrels
1914 price of crude oil = $0.81/barrel
29,320 x $0.81 = $23,749.20

100 lbs of gold = 1458 troy oz.
1914 price of gold (av.)= $18.99 USD
$18.99 x 1458 = $27,702

Bunker C, or Number 6 Fuel oil is a refined product, but it is a residual oil, meaning it is left over after the good stuff is refined out. Looking at the current price of Bunker Oil vs. Crude oil the price is in the same ballpark.

I expect there would be lawsuits, Granby Mining and Smelting Company vs. the owner of the oil, who was paid with the gold. Or owner of the oil cargo vs. the Bank Line/ Andrew Weir Shipping Company, former owner of the SS Desalba, if the gold is not passed on as payment for the cargo. But the gold was contraband and seized as a war prize, it was not “stolen.” What the German government does with the gold after it is seized is none of the previous owner’s business. Von Schönberg could throw it in the sea, or use it to buy supplies as he wished.

https://www.nma.org/pdf/gold/his_gold_prices.pdf

https://onlygold.com/gold-prices/historical-gold-prices/

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Complete-History-Of-Oil-Markets.html

Last edited:
I have a question, anyone. How would German naval officers of the day refer to the caliber of British naval guns, in conversation? The metric equivalent, I would expect. So would a 9.2 inch gun be a 23cm gun, or a 23.3 cm gun? And a 12 pounder gun be a 7.6 cm gun?

But the gold was contraband and seized as a war prize, it was not “stolen.” What the German government does with the gold after it is seized is none of the previous owner’s business. Von Schönberg could throw it in the sea, or use it to buy supplies as he wished.

While this is true, it isn't at all unlike the British to say such things, especially for public consumption. Shout it loudly, you might get a bit of public sentiment on your side in the US.

I have a question, anyone. How would German naval officers of the day refer to the caliber of British naval guns, in conversation? The metric equivalent, I would expect. So would a 9.2 inch gun be a 23cm gun, or a 23.3 cm gun? And a 12 pounder gun be a 7.6 cm gun?

From what I've read, metric equivalent. That said, if you choose to use the British terms to avoid confusion, I'll not complain.

Ramontxo

Donor
I suspect they would use a translation of the weapon original name. In the sense of nobody speaking of the "once kilos y cuarto gun" in Spanish.. But this is pure speculation from my part and expect to learn about this like of many other things in your really good time line. Thanks a lot for your work.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned

a Naval cannon would be Schiffskanone, while Coastal gun would be Küstenkanone

From the 2nd war, the 2pdr, captured in quantity in France, was cataloged as the
4cm PaK 192(e) with PaK abbreviated from Panzerabwehrkanone. The very similar PaK 154 (b) was the same cannon in Belgian service

and was 7.5cm FlaK (e) for the QF 3-inch 20 cwt AA gun, 18 pdr as 8.38 cm Feldkanone 271(e) and 25 pdr as 8.76 cm Feldkanone 281(e)

(e) was for Englisch (b) for Belgisch

So would be called in barrel diameter in centimeters, not millimeters. mm was a French thing ;)

I have to say that this story is brilliant and compelling. Excellent work!

ITTL Von Shönberg is certainly going to be rembered as one of Germany's great naval heroes, and the Nurnberg's exploits rembered well by both sides for their audacity and honour.

In OTL there was a German protected cruiser, SMS Geier, which was interned in Honolulu, due to lack of supplies and needed engine supplies. A local USRCS Officer had to convince the IJN that they couldn't come and take her out, she was interned in US waters. If Nurnburg heads to Alaska for whatever reason, and is interned there, the IJN may not be as willing to comply with the rules. That would be an interesting WI, Japanese cause US casualties, wonder how that'll shake out....

SMS Geier would have made an interesting addition to this story. Maybe the old cruiser will still make an appearance.

With this TL, there could even be an IJN/RN (or RCN) joint attempt to take a German cruiser in a US port. That would make things even more 'interesting'.

SMS Geier would have made an interesting addition to this story. Maybe the old cruiser will still make an appearance.

With this TL, there could even be an IJN/RN (or RCN) joint attempt to take a German cruiser in a US port. That would make things even more 'interesting'.

I don't think that anyone would be that stupid. Getting the USA involved in a war is a bad idea...

Especially by, you know, violating their neutrality to take a ship that they're holding out of the war and thus isn't doing anything against the Entente.

In OTL, the Geier did not make much of a contribution, other than tying up the Hizen and Asama for a while as they were blockading her in Honolulu harbour. I considered her early as I was developing the plot of this story. But she was far too slow and broken down to reach BC. Geier's assets were her armament, and her crew. The ship itself was a clapped out piece of junk. If she had been able to meet up with a German fast liner, arming the liner with Geier's guns would have had some potential. But Geier was unable to chase down any prize useful as a Hilfskrauesr, because she was only capable of 8 knots, when her machinery was working at all. Part of her trip to Honolulu she was towed by her collier.

This is too bad, because the anime version of her rampage would be sure to show off her secondary armament of 5 Hotchkiss revolving cannon, the coolest naval weapon ever.

Geier will be mentioned by name in an upcoming chapter, but I would not count on her making an actual appearance.

Sidebar: An alternate scenario for Geier would be to forget her engines and have her rig her sails and make like a Seeadler.

Last edited:
Languages
Aug 17, 2100 hours. Prince Rupert

Fry continued east towards the roaring shipyard. He at least needed to be able to make a report. As he and his detachment advanced through the waterfront terrain, the fog began to swirl, then burned off entirely. Suddenly revealed, the shipyard was a shattered hellscape. The heat was powerful. A bonfire the size of the Legislature buildings in Victoria was blazing. In its center sat an ocean liner. Her upper works were already fully engulfed and half burned away. Her funnel and masts leaned at crazy angles. The overall effect was as of a giant Viking funeral pyre. It was hard to tell if the hull of the liner was reflecting light, or glowing from the heat. Fry had to blink frequently.

The fire brigade had a truck deployed in the shipyard, hoses spraying. But they had given up on putting out the wharf fire, they were wetting down the machine shop buildings and power plant to keep them from catching fire. A flaming oil slick was spreading on the water of the harbour and igniting the adjoining shipyard eastern wharf from underneath. The roof of a huge ship construction shed was sagging like a wet tarpaulin. Fry had to retreat the way he came, the heat was too intense.

His path took him back past the shoreline where the Russians had landed. Fletcher and his men were helping them carry their worst wounded, including two men that had been shot by the militia. He saw no officers among the surviving Russian crew. A fierce petty officer with a very loud voice seemed to be in command, and as Fry took in the situation, the Russian NCO’s rage seemed to be magnified by his not sharing a language with the Canadian militiamen. The Russian crewmen were very quickly and efficiently improvising stretchers for their most badly wounded from oars and lifeboat sailcloth on the boat benches.

Fry surveyed his men for languages.

“Français?” he asked the Russian.

The petty officer thought for a moment. “Kto-nibud' govorit po-frantsuzski?he yelled at his men.

“Tol'ko ofitsery govoryat po-frantsuzski”, one replied, apparently insulted.

“Polish? Polski?” asked Fry.

Kto-nibud' govorit po-pol'ski?” the Anadyr’s petty officer yelled again.

Polski! Tak!” called out a Russian sailor with a bandaged hand.

Fry asked his Polish-speaking militiaman to tell the Anadyr’s petty officer they should all come with him to the hospital. The militiaman asked the Polish-speaking sailor in Polish, who in turn asked the petty officer in Russian.

“Da. Spasibo,” replied the petty officer.

There were a few more than 70 survivors of the Anadyr on the gravel beach, of whom at least 30 seemed to be badly wounded. With stretchers, piggy-back, or supported on a shoulder, all of the wounded were picked up by their ambulatory comrades, and the group shambled away from the waterfront towards the hospital.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
Fry asked his Polish-speaking militiaman to tell the Anadyr’s petty officer they should all come with him to the hospital. The militiaman asked the Polish-speaking sailor in Polish, who in turn asked the petty officer in Russian.

I wonder how many times variants of this scene have played out in world wars?

marathag

Banned
I wonder how many times variants of this scene have played out in world wars?
Not just World Wars.

My Minnewegian and another guys Glaswegian accent did not mesh at all. It was Trainspotting meets Fargo, before either of those films came out.

We ended up happily conversing in bad German rather than unintelligible 'English'

See it often on wildfires. Crews speaking a common 3rd language instead of what you’d expect. Cree and slavey crews speaking French. Canadian and South Africans in Dutch. Alberta and Quebec in Spanish. Mexico and Ontario in Cree. Amazing the skills that pop out at unexpected times.