The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

The Shannon would have historical weight to it, stemming from the taking of the Chesapeake.

I didn't think of that but yes, especially considering how historically Canadian ships from the RN kept their original names. Funnily enough, the late WWII era Minotaur class leader HMS Minotaur was transferred to the RCN as HMCS Ontario. All kind of fits together huh :p

Errolwi

Monthly Donor
The RAN was basically put under the RN during wartime, so they have little say in where they are going. Australia being retained in home waters/the chasing of the East Asia Squadron is basically a coincidence in her being the main large combatant in the area at the time she was needed. Unless the raider threat is immediately present off your shores when a war is started (not a sure thing), it's very likely the RN is going to send your large ships off to do something else to deem more important, especially if this is into the interwar period and Canada is cutting into Britain's overall tonnage to get these ships.

You think HMAS Australia being in the area and well suited to addressing the significant threat to the Empire's trade is 'basically a coincidence'? You might want to look up the 1909 Imperial Conference on Defence, and the arguments put forward to the Australian Government by Jacky Fisher.
Immediately post-war, the White Dominions were willing to only declare war if they wanted to, it just took an extra decade to sort out the paperwork. This is the environment that RCN decisions will be made in, with assets being made available subject to negotiated agreement.

You think HMAS Australia being in the area and well suited to addressing the significant threat to the Empire's trade is 'basically a coincidence'? You might want to look up the 1909 Imperial Conference on Defence, and the arguments put forward to the Australian Government by Jacky Fisher.
Immediately post-war, the White Dominions were willing to only declare war if they wanted to, it just took an extra decade to sort out the paperwork. This is the environment that RCN decisions will be made in, with assets being made available subject to negotiated agreement.

I'm well aware of the acquisition of a fleet by Australia and Canada effectively sitting around on it's hands during the same time. Yes Australia is obviously HMAS Australia's home port and operational area and I would agree that coincidence is likely the wrong word for the situation as HMAS Australia was recalled home before the war but again, the reason for this is due to the location of the present East Asia Squadron. If the assigned area of the ship isn't under threat from enemy forces from the general beginning of a conflict, the chances of the ships being ushered away for other purposes goes up drastically. The Dominions (Canada) in the situation of operating relatively large ships even into the interwar period almost always offered their ships for RN service regardless of the RN asking or not, which they would usually not be in a position to say no anyway, as the RN is effectively the big brother who's funneling it's resources into these smaller navies. This would be even more so if something like a capital ship was operated into the interwar period.

Post war is definitely different as the Dominions are exercising much more free reign of their own nations but it's still a very real issue.

G-6

Banned
What the biggest ships the Canadian can have at the end of war a cruiser,battle cruiser,battleship and how many?

What the biggest ships the Canadian can have at the end of war a cruiser,battle cruiser,battleship and how many?

If they really put their effort to it, a Canada with enough political support and personnel could very easily operate a few cruisers, Canada historically operated HMCS Aurora post WWI for a small period before it was decommissioned due to a lack of funds and personnel. Depending how far you push it and what size cruisers, you might get a pair per coast depending how destroyer heavy the navy is.

Anything larger I don’t particularly see happening for any length of time, there’s plenty of second hand Royal Navy capital ships but Canada isn’t reasonably equipped to operate them long term, even treaties withstanding.

I think the problem (as brought up by others) is that Canada's population and industrial base isn't large enough to support much. They for sure didn't have enough trained personnel to expand the number of ships they could crew. Then there would be the support facilities and personnel needed to maintain a fleet. I have no idea what the support ratio was for the navy but I've seen that the ratio of support personnel for the WWII air corps was like 15 for each plane flying combat. Even if it's 3-1 for the navy that means for every 1000 sailors you need 3000 base support people. I don't think Canada could support that from a population standpoint unless you strip their industrial manpower. Which in effect might be the ultimate German desire anyways!

Perhaps not call them battlecruisers but fast armored cruisers. Small enough NOT to be put into the line of battle, but intended to hunt down enemy cruisers,

But are you confusing the mission here? We've been talking about defense of the Canadian West coast. To me that implies something different than having a vessel that can hunt down and destroy the raider. I was envisioning something that was heavily gunned and armored but slow and not 'deep ocean' worthy. I think more then a monitor, but less then a full blown armored Cruiser.

For Canada they needed a force for the West Coast (The RN could look after their East coast). That force would need to be replicated in Australia, South Africa, India and the Caribbean. Any place where a raider could do what this TL is showing could be done.

I personally do not see this as a wank. Everything that has happened in the story is very plausible and quite frankly probably would have happened had the Captain of Nürnberg would have made said decisions. The result could be different of course as every encounter has the random element that could change things.

By the way I do not see the Nürnberg having mechanical or damage issues before supply (Ammunition) causes her to intern herself.

Nick P

Donor
Before the RCN gets any ships there will be an overwhelming demand for field guns at every harbour mouth and port. The same guns that the Army needs in France but these will be easier to deliver than any ships.
Would it be possible for purely coastal defence guns to be supplied from overseas, say the USA?
Mounting cannon on large trawlers would be a strong stopgap measure to be seen to be 'doing something'.

Of course, once the German Navy in the Pacific has all been sunk there will be less need but they might send a bunch of Q-ships. Or submarine raiders. Or land a force of spies! Defend BC today - do your bit!
Knock on effect will be fewer men joining up.

Fisheries Protection
Aug 18, 1510 hours. Fisheries Protection Launch Kingfisher, Fitzhugh Sound.

ESQUIMALT HMCD TO FISHERIES LAUNCH KINGFISHER REPORT TO BELLA BELLA RENDEVOUS WITH HMCS RAINBOW TO RECEIVE ARMAMENT AND CREW FOR WARTIME PATROL STOP RAINBOW EXPECTED 0800 AUG 19 STOP

So had read the telegraph message they had received at the Department of Marine Station Bella Coola at 1015 that morning. Fisheries Officer Rowland Mees had readied the launch with his crewmate Harold Aslett. Bella Coola was connected via telegraph overland to William’s Lake, and from there ultimately to the rest of the modern world. If they were out on patrol, as they often were in this season, the Kingfisher was without a wireless and thus incommunicado. Mees thought it fortunate that the Kingfisher happened to be tied up in town when the telegraph message arrived.

Mees thought it unfortunate that he was stuck with his partner. Aslet was an Orangeman, and a hater of Germans, and frantically eager to volunteer for the army and go fight the Hun in France. Aslet had been so eager to enlist that he had just threatened to desert, and leave Mees by himself, which would have hamstrung their fisheries patrols on their tiny station until a replacement was found. At least it would have been quieter.

Now that they had been offered an actual military role, Aslet was almost beside himself to get into the action. All the way down Burke Channel, Aslet had been delivering a monologue at great length on how many Germans he was going to kill and how, and the depravity of all German civilization. “A machinegun Rowley!” Aslet said, his eyes atwinkle. “They’re gonna give us a machinegun! Isn’t that keen!” Mees had come to the conclusion that his partner was mentally unbalanced, and the last thing any responsible person should do was put a weapon in his hands.

The only thing for Mees to do was stick his head up above the windshield, so that the wind drowned out Aslet’s endless monologue. He had mastered the art of saying “Uh-huh,” at the correct interval to appear to be listening, which seemed to appease his partner. The Kingfisher had made the presence of the Fisheries Protection service felt in its patrol area over the last few years, and the locals had become observant of the regulations. The boats they passed seemed not to be committing any flagrant violations. But they had no time to stop now.

The unbroken forested mountains on both sides of the channel passed slowly. The launch was fighting the incoming tide. Her gasoline engine gave her a top speed of ten knots, so she definitely felt the advantage or penalty of the tidal current in these long ocean inlets. Today there was a stiff breeze, but not enough to throw spray, so they had the canvas top down. The folding top was a constant irritation with the launch. When they really needed it, the canvas did no good keeping the weather out. The Fisheries Protection Service had promised a wooden cabin, when time and budget allowed. For now they would have to make do.

Around 1330 hours, as they were rounding Haaksvold Point and entering the last reach before Fitzhugh Sound, what sounded like a distant explosion had echoed off the mountains.

“What was that!” asked Aslet, suddenly serious. Both men listened, but the sound did not repeat itself.

An hour later the Kingfisher rounded Walker Point and turned north into Fitzhugh Sound. Eight nautical miles up the Channel, just visible in the bright afternoon light was the white cube of Pointer Island Lighthouse, marking the channel to Bella Bella. Just passing by the lighthouse were two ships, coming down the channel side by side. Both were trailing impressive clouds of black smoke. In 10 minutes the distance to the approaching ships had halved.

“I’ll say those ships are moving smartly,” said Aslet. “Twenty knots I’ll warrant.” He picked up a pair of binoculars. “The one to port looks like a CPR Princess, either the Victoria or the Charlotte. But what is that to starboard.” The ships continued to close. “She’s a warship alright. Doesn’t that make you proud, Rowley? She’s not the Rainbow though, is she? She has two guns forward.” Aslet paused, and frowned. “And the Rainbow isn’t due until tomorrow.” Mees maneuvered the Kingfisher to the east, to clear the channel. The ships were now close enough that Aslet had to raise his binoculars to look at the warship’s bow.

“You know Rowley, that doesn’t look like any British warship I know.”

“Maybe they built some new ones?” said Mees. He had seen the Rainbow several times, when the cruiser was on fisheries protection patrol, but he was not a navy buff.

Aslet was fixated on the scrollwork on the warship’s bow. Now the ships were only 200 yards away. The figurehead was all painted grey, so detail only stood out in relief. “That… That… That is a German Imperial Eagle! That is a German ship!”

Mees heard a click, and turned to see Aslet had pulled the Magazine Enfield out from the berth under the foredeck. He was chambering a round.

“What the hell are you doing?” yelled Mees.

“I’m going to get me a German!” Aslet raised the rifle to his eye.

Mees let go of the wheel and grabbed at the rifle barrel. “You’ll get us killed, you lunatic!” The two men fell over, and Aslet furiously fought to regain the rifle. He was surprisingly strong, but Mees was bigger, and on top.

“I knew you were a traitor!” shouted Aslet, his face getting red. “Dutch, German, you’re all the same!” They rolled around the bottom of the boat, wrestling.

“I have two kids, you idiot!” said Mees, through gritted teeth. “I want to see them again.”

A ship’s horn sounded a collision alarm, very loud and close.

Mees looked up. The Kingfisher, with no one at the wheel, had wandered out into mid-channel. The cruiser’s bow loomed above them, then it passed them by to starboard. They were cast in shadow by the bow of the liner, to port. The Kingfisher leaped over the combined bow waves. They she spun around in a maelstrom of waves and spray. To Mees, the launch seemed to be running the rapids in a narrow canyon, a canyon with metal walls. Faces looked down on them from both sides above. A wave washed over the side of the Kingfisher, and she was swamped. The ships passed by, their screws thrashing the ocean a few yards away. The launch was still upright. Aslet was crouched down by the engine cover, up to his waist in seawater. His hair was plastered to his face. He still had a grip on the forestock of the rifle, Mees had the butt. Mees pulled the bolt and cycled the action, ejecting a cartridge. He did this repeatedly until the magazine was empty. The sterns of the two ships pulled away. The fantail of the cruiser had two embrasures through which casemated cannon barrels aimed at the Kingfisher. Above on deck, countless more weapons were trained on them. The white ensign and the red ensign flew from the respective masts of the cruiser and the liner. The Fisheries officers read the ships’ names, Nürnberg and Princess Charlotte.

“They are not going to fire,” said Aslet, as if in a dream. “They would have to drop their ruse and raise their battle flags. I read it. It’s the rules of war.”

The Kingfisher’s engine had stalled. She was half full of water, but her gunwales were not awash.

“Help me bail,” said Mees, “or we will capsize.”

The two ships shrank into the distance, while Mees and Aslet tossed buckets of water overboard, in silence. After a while, a fish boat came and took them in tow.

https://www.alamy.com/saunders-motor-launch-1914-image221518982.html

Found the Germans a bit too soon. That guy is a madman--bad enough to contemplate taking on warships with a machine gun, but to see a genuine cruiser and decide to shoot someone...madness.

Coal port
Aug 18, 1720 hours. HMCS Rainbow, Georgia Strait, off Nanaimo Harbour.

HMCD ESQUIMALT TO RAINBOW RECEIVED 1300 HOURS SS COWICHAN TO ALL SHIPS SWANSON BAY BOMBARDED BY GERMAN RAIDERS 0730 THIS MORNING HEAVY LOSS OF LIFE STOP ONE OF ATTACKERS IS CPR SS PRINCESS CHARLOTTE OTHER IS CRUISER STOP SEND ALL ASSISTANCE STOP

HMCD ESQUIMALT TO RAINBOW AT NANAIMO TAKE ON BOARD MILITIA TO CREW MACHINE GUNS ON FISHERIES VESSELS STOP

The first stop for Rainbow on this leg of the journey was the coal port of Nanaimo, to deliver a deck gun and ammunition to the Fisheries Protection steamer Alcedo. Rainbow rounded Malaspina Point on Gabriola Island. A forest of masts showed the location of the harbour. Commander Hose established wireless contact with the Alcedo, and arranged to meet her at the government dock, where the Fisheries vessel was finishing an engine overhaul. The port of Nanaimo was sheltered by Newcastle and Protection Islands. At Gallows Point, on Protection Island, Brown saw the first evidence of the coal industry, the tall head frame of the pit, and the timber trestle of a coal bunker dock. A scow and an American 4 masted barque were in the process of being loaded, and were shrouded in a dark cloud of coal dust. Brown remembered that Gallows Point was once fitted with a battery of muzzle loading cannon back in the 1850s, to protect the city from the Haida, or the Spanish, or the Russians. In light of current events it was unfortunate that the defences had not kept with the times.

“Coal miners are working under our feet right now,” said one of Brown’s crew on the aft bridge. “They are can hear our screws. They’re probably noticing that we don’t sound like one of the usual steamers.” He gestured at the expanse of water that was Nanaimo harbour. “The ground under the harbour is all hollow, with galleries and galleries of stalls. You can walk from town to either of these inlands underground. Water dripping on your head all the way. Done it myself. They leave just enough of the coal seam as pillars to keep the whole damn thing from collapsing. Not that the bosses mind when a few miners get killed. But it cuts into their profits.”

“You used to work in the mine?” asked Brown. One thing he hadn’t picked up in his new status as officer was making his men address him as “Sir”.

“Yeah, and my dad, my brothers, my uncles, my cousins. But I am never going down there again. I ain’t never working for no Dunsmuirs no more.” He spat over the rail. “Not since the strike.” Then the sailor seemed to remember he was talking to a sub lieutenant. “Excuse me sir.”

Nanaimo Harbour basin was bustling, with launches and coastal freighters, dugout canoes, and assorted tugs towing scows and a log boom. At the wharf on Newcastle Island picnic grounds, the CPR steamer Charmer was moored. The Rainbow entered the channel between Newcastle Island and the downtown. Now Brown could see that the harbour, and Departure Bay beyond, were ringed with coal works and loading facilities. Ships with a dozen flags sat in the harbour. Steamships and tall sailing ships and barges stained black. Japanese, American and South American ships were busy loading, and scows too, but the ships flying the British Red Ensign sat idle at anchor.

Small crowds gathered at places in the city to watch the warship arrive. Nanaimo’s downtown was populated with some impressive stone and brick buildings, and was watched over by the empty cannon ports of a decaying Hudson’s Bay Company octagonal timber blockhouse. The Rainbow tied up at the government wharf alongside the CGS Alcedo. The 65 foot long Fisheries Protection vessel was converted from a tugboat, that had previously been converted from a fishing schooner. The crew made haste to swing one of the Hotchkiss 3 pounders over to the Alcedo’s foredeck with a cargo derrick, while other crewmen made a chain to pass over a machine gun and ammunition crates for both weapons.

A platoon of militia soldiers marched onto the wharf, rifles on their shoulders, boots tramping in unison. The unit came to a halt and stood at attention beside Alcedo. Hose had to cross over the tug’s deck to meet the militia lieutenant on the wharf.

The officers saluted each other. “Second Platoon, fourth Company, 88th Fusiliers,” said the militia lieutenant. “We relieved the 5th Regiment when they were called to man the guns in the Capital. Good afternoon Commander,” A dozen militiamen stepped forward. “These men have had their technical and range training on the 1895 Colt-Browning machinegun.”

Hose addressed the men. “You will be working in pairs, independently, on small patrol vessels. The Fisheries Service is providing the boats and crews, the militia the armament. You may be out of contact with the chain of command for extended periods.”

“They are good men,” said the militia lieutenant. “I have the utmost faith in them.”

“Well, let’s come aboard then,” said Hose, and let the militia back across the Alcedo’s deck. “Actually, two of you can stay here. This ship will be your assignment, when she is ready to put to sea.” A pair of militiamen were seconded to the Alcedo’s captain, the rest boarded Rainbow.

Commander Hose appeared at Brown’s station on the after bridge, since the Rainbow would have to back her way out into the harbour.

“So I have to detach two of my precious crew to man that Hotchkiss gun,” Hose grumbled to Brown, quietly enough that none of the enlisted sailors could overhear. “Don’t worry, not you Sub Lieutenant. The good news is the recoil on that peashooter is mild enough they will not need to reinforce the deck. Of course the bad news is that we lost all this critical time coming into port to load a useless weapon onto a broken ship.”

Hose made sure the Rainbow left the dock as soon as her task was done. At his commander’s invitation, Brown issued the series of orders to have the cruiser cast off, backed out into the channel, and brought about ready to depart. Hose watched, and acknowledged with a subtle nod that Brown’s work had been satisfactory. The engine telegraph was shifted from dead slow aft to dead slow forward. The cruiser began to nose her way down the channel northbound, and crowds on shore cheered and waved. The Rainbow left Newcastle Island Passage, passing to starboard the ocean loading wharves for the Brechin and Newcastle coal mines, and, then a row of salteries where the herring catch was packed for transport. Out in Departure Bay, to port, lay more idle British flagged sailing colliers.

https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/boat-harbour-wharf-pacific-coast-coal-mines-nanaimo

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca...fcd-3bce-4df1-be40-977555428a9d-CVA770-68.jpg

https://www2.viu.ca/lib/SpecProj/Coal/CoalMines/NanaimoCoalMines.html

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_3pounder_H_mk1.php

One errant depth charge or magazine explosion at the wrong time, over those mines? No depth charges yet, but plenty of magazines...

Can someone give me a summary of the TL please?
1914 German East Asiatic Squadron sends two cruisers to Western Canada to conduct commerce warfare. SMS Nürnberg arrives first around Aug 16, 1914. SMS Leipzig currently in San Francisco, perhaps looking north Aug 18, 1914. Canadian defences scramble to prepare, but suffer from information vacuum, shortage of resources, and the communications of the era made more difficult by distance and remote locations. Civilians in state of panic, but the coast is on its own until Royal Navy forces can arrive from other side of Pacific or Japan declares war on Germany.

That might be the blurb on the back of the book jacket, but it's a story. The fun is in reading it, I hope.

Edit: Some slight spoilers edited. I sometimes forget the difference between what I have written, and what is posted.

Last edited:
Nanaimo is a nice juicy target. I don't know how much ammunition would have to be expended to sink all those ships, plus wreck the harbor and mining facilities. Landing demolition parties might not be worth the land battle due to expected losses among the sailors