The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Nick P

Donor
The United States Navy started its ban on alcohol aboard ships on July 1st 1914.
https://news.usni.org/2014/07/01/hundred-years-dry-u-s-navys-end-alcohol-sea
Ah, but it's a REVENUE CUTTER not a navy vessel until wartime.

Good point.

The Revenue Cutter Service Regulations of 1907 says in part 720: "Ardent spirits shall not be admitted on board any vessel of the Revenue Cutter Service...."

But the rules for a wine mess suggest that officers only are permitted to drink wine, ale and beer on board. That rules out the Canadian troops!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...mAhVNPcAKHQa_BlQQ6AEIQzAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Its even worse, the USN and its affiliates are dry by this point so the beer supply is the only alcohol within at least a hundred miles
Thank you. All this boozy banter has reminded me that the Royal Canadian Navy of the period has a rum tot tradition that I have been neglecting.

Talk of the town
Aug 18, 1200 hours, SMS Leipzig, San Francisco.

Leipzig was the talk of the town. Captain Haun invited an army of journalists on board. Photos with the crew smartly turned out on deck, or close-ups of the main guns, or waterline shots of the ship with her pronounced ram bow, were front page of all the evening editions of the local papers.

Haun gave a speech that was widely quoted, especially his provocative finale. “We shall engage the enemy, whenever and wherever we meet him. The number or size of our antagonists will make no difference to us. The traditions of the German navy shall be upheld.”

Haun went ashore with an entourage, and met with the mayor of San Francisco. He made an appearance at the San Francisco zoo, and presided over a ceremony presenting the two Japanese bear cubs as a gift from the Kaiser to the people of San Francisco. All the festivities presented more opportunities for photographs, and large crowds turned out to watch, including a strong contingent of German-Americans, some whom waved German flags.

https://archive.org/stream/dailycolonist56y213uvic#mode/1up

Note on the chapter above: I wrote that scene with material from a bunch of different sources. Then I found this Daily Colonist story in the Aug 18 edition that is basically the thing I wrote verbatim.

That’s awesome; you could’ve been a Great War-era journalist!

Why is the Leipzig staying in SF? Did I miss them getting interned, or is this a public relations visit?

That’s awesome; you could’ve been a Great War-era journalist!

Why is the Leipzig staying in SF? Did I miss them getting interned, or is this a public relations visit?
Your confusion is understandable. Way back at post #527, the chapter entitled Welcome to the United States of America Captain, the Leipzig entered San Francisco Harbour for her 24 hours allowed by the Laws of War, and her load of coal to allow her to steam to Apia, German Samoa, the nearest friendly port. Things have been happening very fast on Nürnberg and company, while the Leipzig has been mostly loading coal. I may have to tweak the time frame a little to reconcile the timing. OTL, and ITTL Leipzig entered San Francisco at midnight on the 17th/18th, and lest at midnight on the 18th/19th.

Last edited:
Wonder how the two cruisers could use each other to max out losses and confusion.

Send a telegram to Leipzig from Ketchikan? That assumes Nurnberg knows where Leipzig is, or can make a good guess. Leipzig would then know where Nurnberg had been and can make a good guess as to where Nurnberg is going to be. This is the best idea I can come up with.

Where did the telegraph system go from Ketchikan? Was it cut off when Prince Rupert was cut off? Does it have connections north in Alaska at this point?

Stars and Stripes
Aug 18, 1200 Hours, SS Princess Sophia, Ketchikan Harbour, Alaska

STOP AND PREPARE TO BE BOARDED flashed the Revenue Cutter. The American swung to port to overtake them, its Stars and Stripes snapping in the breeze. The three ships were by now all steaming at 12 knots down the narrow forest-lined channel, the American continuing to slowly overtake until it was side by side with Princess Sophia.

“German Vessel!” yelled an American officer through a bullhorn from the bridge wing of the Snohomish. “You are in violation of Article 21 of the Hague Thirteen Conventions. As agents of the United States Government, we are empowered and required to enforce American neutrality, and order you to release the prize vessel and return it to its crew. Stop immediately and prepare to be boarded.”

“Wir sprechen kein Englisch Liebling!” shouted Kruger back through his bullhorn.

There was a moment’s pause as the American bridge crew spoke between themselves.

“That cheap ruse will not work!” yelled another American officer in German. “Stop immediately and prepare to be boarded.”

Scheisse,” said Krüger to himself. But he ignored the order. He watched the deck gun crew on the Snohomish receive instructions. They loaded their gun, and fired a shot across the Princess Sophia’s bow. He ignored that too. The Sophia was still accelerating, and it seemed like she was starting to nose ahead of the Snohomish. Up ahead, Galiano looked like she was pulling away. He checked that the engine room telegraph was at full, and spoke into the voice pipe. “Give me every revolution you have!”

Down the channel, fish boats and other craft were pulling over to the sides, to allow the racing ships to pass. Snohomish turned inward and brought her rail against Sophia’s flanks with a grinding crash. Krüger ordered the helmsman to flick the wheel back in the direction of the Revenue Cutter, resulting in more crashing and grinding.

“Sorry! Excuse me!” Krüger yelled across through the bullhorn. “Excuse me! Sorry!”

It became clear that Princess Sophia was faster than the American, and the Snohomish slowly fell astern. She seemed content now to chase the Germans, like a dog chasing an automobile, although Krüger noted that the smoke coming out of the Snohomish’s stack had not slackened. Sophia and Galiano had now worked their way up to their full speeds of just over 14 knots. The ships turned into Nicholas Passage, heading back towards the international border. After half an hour at this pace the Germans were well into the Passage, and Snohimish was a full nautical mile astern, still pouring smoke . After an hour, the Sophia and Galiano were looking off their port quarter at New Metlakatla, and they had doubled their lead on the Revenue Cutter. At 1600 hours the Galiano and Princess Sophia crossed over the international boundary and were riding on the swells of Dixon Entrance in Canadian waters on a stunningly beautiful sunny afternoon. The American Revenue Cutter was just a smudge of smoke 7 miles astern.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hague13.asp

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Princess_Sophia_(steamship)_(ca_1912).jpg

Driftless

Donor
Well that can't be good for American-German diplomatic relations

True - there's going to be some fists pounded on a table somewhere. On the other hand, did Kruger's refusal to stop avoid other diplomatic kerfuffles about who legally owned the ship and if the German crew should be interned as well? I could see those discussions as a real can-o-worms.

Ramontxo

Donor
The whole long range blockade. It was exactly the same policy for the same reasons that provoque the 1812 American/British war. This time there was business enough providing for the Entente (and a genuine pro British and Entente sentiment on large parts of America)

Well that can't be good for American-German diplomatic relations

Honestly I doubt the Customs guys really wanted the Germans to stop. It would have been messy and they probably were just going through the 'motions' in doing what they thought they should have to do. This way they could explain to their superiors that they tried but didn't think it was worth a gun battle.