The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

In a dream like state
Aug 3 Esquimalt Naval Dockyard. 1800 hours

GERMAN CRUISER LEIPZIG REPORTED OFF MAZATLAN MEXICO STOP

GERMAN CRUISER NURNBERG REPORTED OFF VLADIVOSTOK STOP

Lieutenant Pilcher was trying to make order out of the muddle that was the mobilization for the defense of the West Coast of Canada. He had been taught at Dartmouth that information helped one make sense of a situation. But the more information Pilcher received, the less he felt he had any control. Reported sightings of the German cruisers Leipzig and Nürnberg were presented to him frequently, sometimes hourly. Their reported positions were contradictory and in the whole impossible. What was true? Who knew?

The state of the civil population in Victoria was also reported to him. These forty thousand souls were ultimately in his charge as well, although he had not seen the city, left the dockyard, or even slept since this crisis began. Some said the civilians were in a dream like state, oblivious to the war because Europe was so very far away. He did receive police reports that certain gangs of Victoria’s men considered it their patriotic duty to rough up their German neighbors and threaten German-Canadian owned businesses. Windows had already been broken.

His cables to Ottawa seeking direction and authority regarding the submarine purchase went unanswered.

Pilcher has started drafting a document on Navy involvement in the potential enactment of martial law, when a man entered into his office. He recognized the man as Ryan, one of Premier McBride’s staff. Ryan handed Pilcher a cheque for $1,150,000. Pilcher stared at the line of zeros. Ryan informed him that Logan was taking a ferry to Seattle first thing in the morning to arrange the purchase of the submarines, and that arrangements needed to be made to receive the boats at the maritime boundary. Then he left.

Pilcher felt the weight of the world pressing him into his chair. After a moment he recalled something, leapt up, rifled the papers on his desk until he found what he was looking for, and bounded out the door. The key to proper command is to delegate!

He trotted across the cobbled square, weaving around a line of marching men in civilian clothes with military hats and sam-brown belts. Pilcher found the man he was looking for, whose letter of introduction he clasped in his hand, across the brick quadrangle in the officer’s mess. Inside, a gaggle of men in assorted uniforms were finishing their evening meal.

“Lieutenant Bertram Jones?” called out Pilcher over the hubub. “Here!,” replied a proper, older mustached man. Jones put aside his finished plate, rose to his feet and saluted. Here the impromptu command structure of the situation again made things awkward. Jones was of equal rank to Pilchard, and older, yet somehow Pilcher was in command.

“Let’s step outside shall we?” said Pilcher. The two men strolled down beside the harbor, where across the water, rocky bluffs supported a forest of those odd gnarled Gary Oaks, some local cousin of the English variety more familiar to Pilchard. Now that the August sun was down the air was beginning to cool.

“So Royal Navy?” Jones observed of Pilcher’s uniform.

“Yes,” replied Pilcher. “I understand you were as well, not so long ago.”

“True,” confessed Jones. “I retired and moved here to Victoria 2 years ago. Thought I had put it behind me. But what with this war business I thought it my duty to volunteer and see where I could make myself useful. Showed up here two days ago and they accepted me right away. I haven’t had time to be issued a proper summer uniform yet.” Jones gestured to his dark blue Canadian Navy jacket.

“Yes, much is in short supply,” answered Pilcher, his body tensing and perhaps showing more emotion than he intended. Then he startled and snapped back to the moment. “So I understand you know something about submarines? I read your letter of introduction.”

“Indeed!” said Jones. “ I commanded a C-Class submarine when I retired.

“Funny that. We are looking at getting a brace of something like C-Class submarines of our own. Tomorrow.” Pilchard startled again. “ I was wondering if you could help us with that.”

Jones was attentive. “Do tell…”

Pilcher described the scheme.

“Extraordinary!” exclaimed Jones. “ Yes, I could have give the boats a good looking over. Ideally I would have a proper naval engineer along.”

Ten minutes later the two men were in the dockyard machine shop, standing in front of Chief Engineering Artificer WH Wood. Together they told him the tale.

“Aye, I could help you give those boats a right inspection.” said Wood, clearly intrigued with the novelty of it all. “Can’t say as I’ve been on a submarine before, but I’m sure they are like any other ship, mostly. All valves and gauges and suchlike.”

Wood thought for a moment. “ We will need a vessel to take us to the rendezvous. We could requisition the Salvor. She is a civilian tug, just about right for the job. I know her master.”

Pilchard hurriedly drafted orders for them, and to the captain of the Salvor. He had them typed up and handed the orders and envelope containing the cheque to Jones.

“Be careful with that,” he said.

Now, just one more thing, Pilcher thought.

On the way back to his office, he stopped a little ways back from the line of recruits drilling in the yard going about their paces. He needed a man. A resourceful man. A discreet man. A loyal man. How does one find this sort of person? Pilcher looked at the faces in the line. He stopped at a young face, a face not unlike his own, except that the man did not look at his wit’s end.

“You,” he pointed “Come forward.” The petty officer presiding looked surprised at the interruption, but did not protest.

“Name?” asked Pilcher.

“Able Seaman Thomas Brown!” said the recruit, standing at attention. The petty officer watched from a distance and nodded approvingly. Only a couple of hours of training, but the lad seemed to have picked up snapping to attention.

“PO!” Pilcher addressed the petty officer. “I am requisitioning this man.”

“He’s all yours, sir.”

“Well Brown, at ease. Come with me.” The petty officer waved them along. Pilcher walked Brown out of the square and into the alleys of the base. “You see, I need an agent.” As they strolled he described the submarine scheme in a rambling yarn, including small details, and forgetting large ones, then going back to the beginning. “Anyway, what I need you for is to watch over all this cloak and dagger and make sure that the navy’s interests are taken care of. These main actors on our side are politicians and business men, but I want someone who reports to me. And then, I expect, the Seattle shipyards are alive with German spies, and Communists, and there is the Chilean navy to worry about, and I suppose the American naval intelligence and police. There are so many ways this could go wrong. What if the transfer crews are talking about sabotaging the boats?” Pilcher came to a sudden halt. “So you will be a counter intelligence agent. Reporting to me. My eyes on the scene. Do you think you are up for it?”

“I’ll give it my best sir.”

“ Very good. Very good. I will have some orders written up just now. You will be meeting Mr. Logan at the Black Ball Ferry first thing in the morning. And wear civilian dress.”

“That part should be easy sir. They haven’t issued me a uniform yet.”

Last edited:
I LIKE Lieutenant Pilcher more and more each post, and that Able Seaman is probably about to be looiing at both higher and lower places...not much lower than a submarine!

Pretaporter

Banned
The resourceful immigrants had rioted and showered police and immigration agents with lumps of coal. That was when the authorities had called on the Rainbow. Rainbow’s guns were convincing. Hose had watched through binoculars as one of the immigrants, presumably a veteran, had stood on the ship’s bridge roof and signalled to Rainbow by semaphore OUR ONLY WEAPONS ARE COAL. The worst of it, Hose had been forced to board Komagata Maru and look the immigrants in the eye accompanying the intransigent Chief Immigration Inspector and the pompous Conservative MP who instigated the public panic, while holding his peace. And Hose had to break the news to the immigrant men that they were being returned to the Punjab. At gunpoint. His gunpoint.

A very informative, as well as entertaining, read there. I had never heard of this incident before.

It will never have happened, but I'm now imagining Indian Army troops bound for France transiting across Canada to serve the Empire; each man never saying a word all the way, but pointedly tossing & catching a single lump of coal in their hands.

Unless untoward incident occurs
Aug 4. 0800 Black Ball Ferry wharf, Inner Harbour, Victoria, Canada

AFTER CONSULTATION WITH BURELL AND NAVAL OFFICERS HAVE ADVANCED TONIGHT ONE MILLION ONE HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS TO LIEUT PILCHER FOR PURCHASE OF TWO MODERN SUBMARINES LYING IN SEATTLE HARBOUR AND BUILT FOR CHILE STOP ALL ARRANGEMENTS COMPLETE FOR THEIR ARRIVAL TOMMORROW UNLESS UNTOWARD INCIDENT OCCURS STOP CONGRATULATE CANADA IF THIS OPERATION SUCESSFUL ON ACQUISITION OF SUCH USEFUL ADJUNCT DEFENCE OF COUNTRY STOP – Premier Richard McBride to National Service HQ.

Thomas Brown was enjoying his time in the navy very much so far. He had signed up on a lark, as much as hearing the call of duty. In his first several hours of training he had already been promoted from seaman to spy. He used his spying powers to identify Captain Logan in the ferry passenger lineup, based on the description Lieutenant Pilcher had given him.

Brown introduced himself. Logan was a bit suspicious, so Brown showed him the written orders that Pilchard had given him.

“My God,” said Logan, “ You had better get rid of those. Before we go through the Immigration gate in Seattle.”

Brown took a step towards a trash can, but Logan stopped him. “No, better throw them overboard once we get under way. Pilchard has a point sending you along. You never know who is watching.”

“I made sure to dress so I could mingle with the transfer crews and yard workers.” Brown said, and made a shrewd expression.

“You look like a Hobo.”

By now the ticket line was moving, and the two men soon boarded.

Logan bought a Victoria Daily Colonist paper and sat down inside. “French Troops Now Engaged with Germans in Frontier Fighting,” he read to Brown. “ British Policy Not Announced.”

“So when does it all kick off then?” asked Brown.

“Let’s see what it says here…” Replied Logan. “Britain Awaits German Action… Belgian Neutrality must be respected… The most important event in the last 24 hours was Germany’s demand upon Belgium in the form of a twelve hour ultimatum that German troops be permitted to cross Belgian territory to the French frontier…” Logan scanned ahead impatiently “… British Foreign secretary made a statement in the House, indicating that Great Britain’s interests and obligations could not allow her to submit to the crossing of Belgian territory…”

“So I expect that is the thing there. Britain issues Germany an ultimatum, and when the clock runs out, the lights go out in Europe.” said Logan.

“Those politicians sure can talk, can’t they?”

“They certainly can. Oh, here is a good one. ‘The Hon. Martin Burrell, Agriculture Minister… In respect to the danger threatening the position of the British Empire, there is one thing to say. Canada is ready to do her duty to the last man and the last dollar…’”

The two men burst out laughing and rocked forward in their seats in reverie. Brown remembered that he was supposed to be a spy, and looked around to see if he had drawn attention to their party. But the other passengers, holiday goers and businessmen, seemed to be likewise absorbed in their papers or conversations about the war.

Brown though it would be more discreet for him to not spend all his time with Logan, so he wandered out onto the deck. The weather was fair, and he enjoyed the breeze and the view. He was very familiar with these waters, as a weekend sailor. The mountains of the Olympic Peninsula poked their snowy peaks above the clouds to starboard, in the United States. To port the southern end of Vancouver Island was all dark green trees, and a calico pattern of exposed grey rock and golden dry grass. Dead ahead was the impressive volcanic cone of Mount Baker, snow covered well down its slopes even at the height of summer. He crumpled his written orders from Pilcher into a ball and dropped it over the side.

https://archive.org/details/dailycolonist56y201uvic

Last edited:
Time is of the essence
Aug 4, Black Ball Ferry wharf, Seattle, Washington.

The ferry arrived in Seattle at 1400 hours. Paterson was waiting at the arrivals gate. “Come. Time is of the essence,” he said.

Logan grabbed a Seattle Post-Intelligencer from a newsboy. They took a taxi to The Seattle Construction and Drydock Company yard. On the way Logan read the paper. “An ultimatum has been issued by the government of Great Britain to Germany to remove their troops from Belgian soil… The ultimatum will expire at 3:00 Pacific Time… It is expected that the president will sign the American Neutrality Act the following day… that would be tomorrow.” Paterson kept staring straight ahead, but started tapping his finger rhythmically on the window sill.

Once they arrived at the sprawling shipyard, Brown got into character. He pulled his hat brim down low and vanished as soon as the car came to a halt. Logan followed Paterson to the yard offices, but realized that he did not really have much to do. The evaluation of the boats would be done by other people at the time of exchange. All was waiting until darkness. However nervous, Logan was, Paterson seemed twice so. Paterson produced a bottle of bourbon from a desk drawer and poured them each a stiff shot.

“We need to keep in mind that the Chilean Navy inspectors are right here in the shipyard.”said Paterson. “They are living in a hotel downtown, but have taken over an office here. You may see them. They have impressive moustaches. Ahhh, the back-and-forth on this contract has been going on for months. Of course they have lawyers. If they get any inkling of what is happening they will pounce with an injunction and an army of Pinkertons.” Paterson helped himself to another drink. Logan politely declined.

After checking his messages and pacing around his office several times, he invited Logan out “to look at the these boats.”

Paterson led Logan through the enormous shipyard, with its massive tin-roofed buildings labeled Pattern Shop, and Boiler Shop and Ship Shed A in sans serif letters a story tall. Cranes swung overhead through clouds of coal smoke. The din of riveting came from all directions. The air smelled like creosote and ozone. Logan was startled to see two submarines sitting on the ways, festooned with plank scaffolding and very obviously incomplete. He tugged on Paterson’s coat sleeve to get his attention. Paterson leaned close, to be heard over the racket. “Those are N–Class boats, for the US Navy. Yours are this way.”

The men crossed a busy rail yard to a basin with all manner of ships, big and small, some complete, some still fitting out. Fully rigged sailing ships and a steam ferry in a floating drydock, fish boats and a pile driver barge. Anchored close by were more sailing ships, and what looked like an armoured cruiser. Paterson had to point out the two submarines, they were so small relatively.

Paterson and Logan looked down on them from the dock above. The Antofagasta and Iquique were side-by-side, moored to a float at the bottom of a ramp. Their bows pointed out towards the ocean. They were each about 150 feet long, very slender on top, with the pressure hull bulging at the waterline A man lying crossways on their beam would have his hands and feet hanging over both sides. Each boat had a small conning tower a man’s height with 2 periscopes, and a mast bow and stern. The Antofagasta came to a finer point at the bow. They were both sporting a light grey paint job and looked fresh and new.

Workers were loading the subs, and fussing with various parts. Logan was concerned that it could be seen that the boats looked like they were readying to depart, and that some authority would notice. But then, for as far as the eye could see, like a real life Bruegel Painting, were men working on ships.

“Do you care to go onboard?” asked Paterson.

Half an hour later, back at his office, Paterson telephoned Premier McBride. Arrangements were made for the Salvor to meet the two submarines five miles south of the Trial Islands, in international waters at 0500. Inspections would be made there, and if found satisfactory, the cheque would be exchanged for the submarines. Logan had spent some of the intervening time making what he hoped were discrete offers to American submarine crew enlist in the Canadian Navy. There were no takers.

Around this time Brown reappeared. “I have not discovered any spies.” He whispered, close enough for Logan to smell the whiskey on his breath.

“I have not discovered any future Canadian submariners.”

“You heard that Britain declared war on Germany at 4:00?”

“Yes,” said Logan, “I am aware.”

Around 1700, Paterson let the trials crews know that he wished to take the boats out for special night trials, so they should eat supper and return at 2000 hours. And that they could expect double-time pay. Brown joined them to get a sense of their mood. Was this last request wildly suspicious? Would the word make its way back to the Chilean delegation? The trials crews seemed to take it all in stride. “Does anything the bosses say ever make sense?”

I just changed the thread title because there is another timeline running concurrently with a vey similar title to my original.

I am loving this. I especially like the way that people FAR too junior for their jobs are making things work--perhaps in some cases because they ARE junior, so just do what works, rather than what The Book says.
MORE :)

War Message
Aug 4, 2007 hours. HMCS Rainbow, Pacific Ocean off Washington State

WAR MESSAGE A STATE OF WAR NOW EXISTS BETWEEN GREAT BRITAIN AND THE GERMAN EMPIRE STOP

“Shape course south,” ordered Commander Hose. Rainbow heeled over as she came about. The ship had just 20 minutes ago turned north from the southern leg of her patrol pattern off the Washington Coast. Now she was heading south again, towards peril, to protect shipping at the approaches to the harbor of San Francisco. It was starting to get dark, with the low sun filtered through clouds on the western horizon. Hose made sure to set a course that would keep them well clear of the treacherous reefs and islets offshore as they travelled through the night.

Rainbow had spent much of the last two days conducting drills of coming to action stations, and firing the guns, and probably more useful in Hose’s estimation, fire-fighting and damage control drills. Without an accompanying ship to tow a target, there was not a real possibility to practice shooting at a moving adversary. Rainbow did make some firing runs at a floating canvas target, with mixed success. As a confrontation with a German cruiser seemed to be becoming more and more certain, Hose put his mind to ways the Rainbow could make her best showing.

Right now visibility was good, but the whole day before Rainbow had been enveloped in the thick fog that often blanketed Cape Flattery and the approaches to the Straits of Juan de Fuca. These fog banks were a feature of this coast, at least as far south as San Francisco. If he could use the fog to pounce on the Leipzig or Nürnberg at close range, he could equalize the German’s twin advantages of longer range guns and crack gun crews. In a close range knife fight, rate of fire would tell more than accuracy. At close range the Rainbow’s secondary broadside of three 4.7 inchers and two 12 pounders would count for more than her main armament of two six inchers. And would deal out a heavier weight of fire than the Germans cruisers’ five 4.1 inch broadside. Rainbow might even have an opportunity for a torpedo shot, up close.

There was an old mariner’s trick, one used by the steamboat captains navigating the long steep channels of British Columbia’s coast in fog. They would sound the fog horn, and count the seconds until the echo arrived back from the shore. Hose figured he could use this trick to zero in on a German cruiser, if they were circling each other blindfolded in a fog bank… It was a long shot, but then so was this whole enterprise.

As the engines propelled Rainbow closer to her destiny with each revolution, Hose contemplated that what was needed now was an inspirational speech on his part. A Lord Nelson speech for the officers and men. Several attempted drafts were sitting on his sea desk. Many of these men were here as volunteers in an organization he himself had created. Hose had seen the need for a volunteer reserve of seamen, even when the government of Canada had not. These men would and perhaps already were following him into the gates of Hell. He only hoped, when the time came, that he would be worthy.

I am loving this. I especially like the way that people FAR too junior for their jobs are making things work--perhaps in some cases because they ARE junior, so just do what works, rather than what The Book says.
MORE :)
Well, there's that, and civilians are just inviting themselves into the fray and doing clearly military jobs with no oversight. I'm surprised more people are not objecting that this is unrealistic.

Well, there's that, and civilians are just inviting themselves into the fray and doing clearly military jobs with no oversight. I'm surprised more people are not objecting that this is unrealistic.

I’d imagine that’s mostly because the number of people actually versed in the RCN of this time period don’t really exist hahaha!

I’d imagine that’s mostly because the number of people actually versed in the RCN of this time period don’t really exist hahaha!
You would know that, having done the research. But I can't help thinking that a lot of folks reading this would think it is far fetched. Even though it is absolutely as historical so far.

I think it's likely that chaos diminishes oversight and produces opportunities for cleaver civilians.

To me, that seemed perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. A crisis, not enough people to do the jobs needed, enemy cruisers rumored to be about, and two more ships to get collected, manned, and put to use. Today, I suspect that jobs wouldn't get done since T's weren't dotted and I's not crossed.

Think of TR and the "Rough Riders" in the Spanish-American War, basically recruited, and equipped (including some machine guns) privately and "presented" the the US military more or less ready to go...

To me, that seemed perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. A crisis, not enough people to do the jobs needed, enemy cruisers rumored to be about, and two more ships to get collected, manned, and put to use. Today, I suspect that jobs wouldn't get done since T's weren't dotted and I's not crossed.
Like I hinted at above, everything so far is as OTL except for the dialogue that I made up.

The Future of Warfare
Aug 4, Seattle Construction and Drydock Company Shipyard.

By 2100 the last of the dockyard crews left the submarine float. The boats were now, in fact, completely ready for sea. The yard shut down section by section, and by 2200 the last of the mercury vapour work lights was turned off and the yard was dark and silent. Several of Paterson’s managers joined him and Logan in the office. All looked like they had spent time at sea. Paterson looked at his pocket watch for the hundredth time. “Alright, lets go,” he said.

They moved through the darkened yard like cats. In the lee of the blacksmith shop they heard quiet chuckling, and encountered Brown passing his flask around with some men from the trials crew. Paterson gestured to them and they fell in step. Brown made eye contact with Logan and flashed him the thumbs up. The rest of the trials crew waited by the submarine float, smoking.

Brown sidled up next to Logan and spoke under his breath. “ You, know,” he said “that Pilcher had it wrong about having me as a spy. What we really are is pirates.”

Lit only by the ambient light from the city, the crews very quietly and efficiently made their way onboard and disappeared into the submarines. Paterson and Logan went aboard the Antofagasta, to be the lead boat, and Brown aboard the Iquique, to follow. Brown took a position on top of the conning tower, out in the cool night air. The boats were cast off, the electric motors were engaged, and the boats nosed out into Elliot Bay. They showed no running lights.

Running on their electric motors, the submarines cut through the water almost silently. The sound of their wakes and waves lapping against the hulls was the only tell of their passage. To port on the way out of the shipyard was a chain of log booms, material for the sailing ships under construction. Logan looked ahead at the line of anchored windjammers, silhouettes towering above them. And he looked back at Brown in the Iquique, staying within hailing distance behind, just in case. Over top of the Iquique, one light was lit in the shipyard at a wharfside office. Logan imagined he could see two mustachioed men, staring into the night.

Brown looked forward from the conning tower of the Iquique, feeling like his decision to join the navy had definitely been the right one. He marvelled at how the boat cut through the harbour as quietly as a sailboat. The city was lit up, and he could hear the bark of a dog, then the bell of a streetcar, carrying clearly across the water. He also suddenly remembered that he was on a warship, and realized how deadly a warship she could be. Low in the water, silent and invisible, weaving a path through the slumbering fleet. And all this while running on the surface, never mind what she could do submerged. Iquique steered a path beneath the stern of a five-masted steel barque. This, Brown thought, was the future of warfare.