The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

The Brave Boys of Anyox part 3
August 17, 0430. Alice Arm, BC

The birds started to sing at 4:30 in the morning as the very first bit of colour came into the sky from the east. Magnus listened quietly for a minute, then sat bolt upright. The events of the day before returned to him all at once. Zacharias noticed his friend wake up, and he rolled over onto this side.

“Zach,” Magnus whispered. “I’ve been thinking. The adults just won’t believe the Germans are here until they see it themselves.” Zacarias nodded, following along. “By then it will be too late.” Magnus continued. “We gotta keep going ‘til we can find a telegraph that still works, or something. Can we get to Stewart if we keep going up this valley?”

“Yeah, I think so,” replied Zacharias. “You just follow the river until it you cross over the high ground and start following a different river. To Meziadin Junction. But it’s really far. Days and days. The Germans would get away by then. Or be in Vancouver.

“We have to keep trying,” said Magnus. “We can’t just give up.”

“There is another way,” said a grown-up’s voice. The two boys were startled. Sitting in a chair on the veranda, in the dim light, was Joe McGrath, the prospector from the night before. He drew a cigarette case from his jacket and lit one. The boys could not tell if he had come back to this spot, or if he had been sitting there all night. “There is a mule trail up Lime Creek, across the bay. “It’s not much of a trail, and there is no good reason to use it. A boat can bring everything right here no trouble. But it takes you over the mountain, and down to the Nass River. I’m going to Lime Creek now. But first breakfast.”

They could smell bacon cooking. McGrath entered the hotel and the boys followed. In the dining room sat Constable Gordon at a table with several other men, well into their breakfasts. Two other tables were occupied by groups of what could only be miners, tattered and grizzled. Olaf Evindsen hovered over his dining room chatting, while the patrons ate their huge breakfasts. McGrath and the boys sat down at an empty table next to the policeman.

“Well boys,” said Gordon “you are either heroes, or this will be a prank for the history books.” Magnus started to say something, but Gordon interrupted. “You’ve convinced me to go, don’t talk me out of it now.”

“I still can’t believe the German navy would come here,” said one of the men at Gordon’s table. “I mean… here.” He was Harry Fowler, the owner of the steam launch Awake. He was trying to find his niche with a regular passenger ferry between Alice Arm and Anyox.

“There is a world war going on, Harry,” said McGrath. “The great empires are fighting to the death in Europe, and China, and Africa, and the Holy Land. Why not here?”

“We shall find out soon enough,” said Gordon, pushing his empty plate away. “Gentlemen?” The other two men at his table rose, and they all headed for the dock. Gordon grabbed his lever action Winchester that he had left leaning against the dining room wall.

Svea, Mrs. Evindsen, brought breakfast out from the kitchen to the boys personally. “Hello Magnus, hello Zacharias. I hear you have had an epic journey. Please eat.” A young waitress presented McGrath with his plate, and for a while the only sounds were of chewing. When they were finished, one of the tables of miners walked over to McGrath, and they all rose to leave. Mrs. Evindsen appeared again, to give the boys some very well provisioned bag lunches, and wish them well.

“We are prospecting up Lime Creek today.” McGrath said as they walked to the dock. The other two men each pushed a wheelbarrow full of supplies. “Someone staked a claim there on a vein of Molybdenite. Try saying that three times fast!” The boys did. “Don’t know what it’s good for, but someone will find a use someday. Then there will be a molybdenum rush. The owner has these guys doing some improvements to the adit ore dump, and he keeps me on retainer as a caretaker. I have a feeling there are other veins there, further up the valley, just waiting for me to find them.”

At the dock, the two miners loaded the boat. McGrath tossed in his backpack. All got in and the men started up the engine, a one cylinder diesel under a lid in the middle of the boat. The boat pulled away from the dock, making a slow put-put-put sound. First they stayed in the main channel of the Kilsault River, to avoid the mudflats, when they go to deep water the man at the tiller steered for the mouth of Lime Creek, due south across the bay, about a half-mile away.

“Don’t feel bad that those dullards didn’t believe you,” said McGrath. “The problem you will find with most adults is they lack imagination. You have to sit them right down in front of something for them to believe it. As for myself, I spend my days walking through the wilderness, hammering on rocks, imagining that just over the next rise is a vein of gold that will make me rich as King George himself. If I had been blessed with a lack of imagination, I would get to be a shopkeeper with a family in some little town, instead of wading through mosquito infested swamps, and falling off cliffs.” Further down Alice Arm, in the distance they could see the running lights of the Awake headed towards Anyox.

Most of the progress of the miners’ boat came from the tide going out rather than the engine. They cut across to the far shore, then let the current carry them to the outlet of Lime Creek, where a crude wharf had been constructed. They tied up to the wharf, unloaded the boat, and walked up the ramp to shore. McGrath opened up a log house, which turned out to be a stable for the mine’s mules.

“Keeps out the bears,” McGrath said of the stable. The mules were happy to be let out, and trotted around the clearing, before allowing themselves to be loaded with the miner’s boxes. A train was formed of 4 mules carrying cargo, and 5 bearing riders. Two more followed, unladen. It took them an hour uphill to reach the mine site. They climbed down and tied up the mules. By this time the sun was shining on the north face of the higher mountains. From the mine clearing, they got a fine vista down Alice Arm, but Anyox was hidden behind intervening mountains. They could just make out the omnipresent cloud over the town, the top of which was now up in the sunlight.

“This isn’t much of a mine,” said Magnus. McGrath laughed. Indeed it was not compared to the Hidden Creek or Bonanza mines of Anyox that Magnus was familiar with. This was one rough shaft, some diamond drill holes, a scatted pile of spoil, and some shacks.

“Behold, The Canadian Girl Mine,” said McGrath with a sweeping arm gesture. “Every mine starts like this. Most stay like this. This is still in exploration. When…”

The distant sound of explosions cut him off. Everyone stopped. More explosion sounds followed. With the echoes it was hard to tell how many.

“Those are not underground explosions.” said McGrath.

“No they ain’t,” said one of the other miners, and they both nodded. The miners did not talk much, but then knew explosions.

Magnus and Zacharias stood stock still, looking at the haze cloud above Anyox. They imagined they could see orange patches appear in the lower reaches, as if the cloud was backlit.

Explosion sounds continued, followed by echoes.

“We’re too late!” said Magnus “We’re too late.” He sat down and covered his head with his hands.

The party was silent, confronted with the dual calamities of the far away destruction and Magnus’s disappointment.

“No, we gotta keep going,” said Zacharias. “The Germans still have to make a get away. They can still catch them.”

The explosion sounds continued, sporadically. In between, by some trick of sound propagation in the mountains, the boys could hear the faint but unmistakable sound of foghorns.

https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/alice-arm-bc

Last edited:
Note regarding the previous image. It is the best picture I can find of the Alice Arm Hotel, but it was taken in the '20s. The railroad and some of the background buildings would not exist yet.

that will be about a 15 mile hike as the crow flies,a river crossing then a train ride down to prince rupert.then the obligatory trying to convince the old people they are right.

Petty Cash
August 17, 0445. Waterfront, Anyox, BC

Nürnberg and Prince Rupert started raising steam dockside. Another prize crew started getting up steam in the small tug Czar. Nürnberg moved forward one berth, so she could be moored directly to the wharf for crew access and to get clear from the coal barges.

Sailors are accustomed to going without sleep for long stretches when they must, and sleeping when they can. The crews that stayed up all night coaling took an hour’s rest, and were now being assembled into demolition teams. The teams varied in size depending on their targets. All teams had an armed guard contingent, who were responsible for securing the objective, evacuating any people, by force if necessary, and preventing anyone from interfering with the demolition team. And all teams had a demolition section, whose job was to set and detonate the demolition charges.

Kampfgruppe Adler was to take three ship’s boats and 78 men to land at the mouth of Falls Creek and attack the Smelter and Powerhouse. Kampfgruppe Krüger was to cross Hidden Creek on the rail trestle with 20 men to destroy the engine roundhouse. Kampfgruppe Lange was tasked with demolishing the wharves. And a Kampfgruppe Von Spee headed for the administration offices.

Lieutenant Von Spee was leading the group with the most limited objective, so that he could be back on the bridge of the Prince Rupert to command well in advance of departure time. Von Schönberg, did not like Von Spee being away from his ship at this critical juncture, but the young lieutenant promised not to kill anyone or to be killed. Apparently that was the reassurance Von Schönberg was looking for, and he relented. In the faint light of dawn, Von Spee’s team advanced past the wooden tennis courts to the administration office building.

“We must careful not to damage those courts,” he said to his second in command. “We may wish to come back here after the war. And play tennis.”

The office was still guarded by a detachment that had been there all night, so no effort was involved securing the objective. The guards even held the door open for them to carry in their 4 cases of mining Dynamite. The demolition team got right to work rigging Dynamite to crack the three safes. As they fussed with the explosives, on a hunch Von Spee jimmied the office door labeled E. E. Campbell, Chief Engineer and Mine Manager in gold leaf letters. On the wall hung a framed Masters of Science diploma from McGill University and pictures of various mine buildings in British Columbia and South Dakota. Von Spee pried open the desk drawer with a crowbar, and after a moment’s rifling produced a yellow lined pad with a series of numbers. He waved off the demolitions men, and tried these numbers in turn as combinations on the first of the floor safes, and voila! it opened. The men with the Dynamite looked disappointed. Von Spee swung open the door and inside were folders of legal documents and contracts, a cash box labeled Petty Cash with a small amount of bills and a large amount of coin, and 4 sheet metal boxes each containing $25,000 in Canadian Currency. These boxes were removed and stacked by the door.

The other smaller safe contained a bunch of important looking papers of no interest to the Germans. In their haste they did not notice that these papers included thousands of shares in the Granby Mining and Smelting Company worth several million dollars.

The vault they saved for last. Again, Von Spee read the combination from the notepad and opened the heavy door on the first try. That was fortunate, he reflected, because the door looked thick enough to resist the Nürnberg’s 10.5 cm armour piercing shells. Inside were metal shelves supporting wooden boxes the size of the Dynamite crates. These were protected by a brass grille, with a key lock. The key was probably hanging in a hook close by, but Von Spee forced it with his crowbar. Three of the crates each contained a 50 pound gold ingot. The other nineteen held 50 pound silver ingots. The wooden boxes had rope handles for ease of carrying. The team stacked the boxes two tall, and with a man on each end carried the precious metals and cash back to the German ships, along with their unused Dynamite. They were back on board ship by 0515.

150 POUNDS of gold? 950 POUNDS of silver! That is a LOT of money. The gold is worth close to 14,000 dollars, and there's a bit over 8000 dollars in silver--or about half a million dollars in 2019 money.

Would the shares even be worth anything if confiscated? I have no idea if stock is registered, or if stock certificates at the time are like paper money?

150 POUNDS of gold? 950 POUNDS of silver! That is a LOT of money. The gold is worth close to 14,000 dollars, and there's a bit over 8000 dollars in silver--or about half a million dollars in 2019 money.

Would the shares even be worth anything if confiscated? I have no idea if stock is registered, or if stock certificates at the time are like paper money?

not taken the shares, not blowing up the safes etc probably saved the mine and also the officers of the company and workers.. The money could be claimed by insurance the papers/stocks on the other hand

Insurance, depending on the policy, oft does not cover acts of war. There's no doubt--the mine will be rebuilt, but by who--that's a question for later.

Ideally by German pows. Quite possibly Naval ones. It's better than their other fate.

I believe the Geneva Convention prevents POW's being used for labor which has military character or purpose. Anything having to do with strategic materials maybe classified as military in character and purpose.

Things would go very badly
Aug 17, 0500. Anyox BC.

Kampfgruppe Adler had the largest contingent, 78 men, and the most ambitions objective: the Smelter and Powerhouse. Rather than walk all the way through the town and back, they rowed three ship’s boats to the beach on the far shore of Falls Creek. The first boat touched the beach under the Falls Street trestle at 0504. The beach was made of slag, and the enormous slag pile dominated the skyline. The fumes from the smelter were strong here, and Lieutenant Adler realized that the men could not help but give their positions away in the half-light by coughing.

Six men stayed guarding the boats, bolstered by a Spandau gun hastily dug into a slag foxhole covering the approaches to the boats and enfilading the Falls Street trestle. The majority of the party climbed the slope to the elevated plank road that led to the huge brick hydroelectric Powerhouse Number One. Big enough to be a garage for Nürnberg thought Adler. Light streamed from the long line of windows and reflected off the bay. Eighteen men headed for the powerhouse. All carried rifles and one end of a crate of Dynamite. The remaining 54 men climbed the set of steep covered stairs until they summited at the level of the smelter, coughing with the exertion. The vanguard advanced with rifles ready, as if infantry, but most moved in pairs carrying one end of a Dynamite crate. The powerhouse and the cascade-roofed smelter were all brightly lit by electric lights. The light cast deep shadows where eclipsed by some obstacle, and caused the fumes from the smelter to glow as if incandescent. At 0515, as per the planning meeting, with watches synchronized, the teams burst into the Powerhouse and Smelter at exactly the same moment.

The Powerhouse was one brightly lit enormous room. From the floor sprouted generators and the shrouded forms of industrial sized Pelton wheels. Steel pipes half a meter in diameter entered the building from the rear wall, and connected the penstocks to the turbines in long sweeping elbows. A rolling crane ran on tracks above the hall. The space was filled with the hum on the equipment. The few technicians who monitored the works for the night shift were gathered by the control panels on the back wall when the Germans burst in. They were rounded up, marched up the outside stairs and held in the Smelter Superintendent’s office. Then the crew started rigging explosives.

The Smelter was a warren of galleries and passages as it stepped up the hillside. The smelter team met only a few night shift workers at first, took them prisoner and moved up a procession of stairways until they arrived at the main furnace hall. This enormous industrial gallery looked like it went on forever, since the far wall was masked with the fumes that permeated the space. Here, 30 workers were presiding over the converters, half way through smelting a batch of copper. Despite the bright electric light, a red glow could still be clearly seen from each of three – two story tall converters. The giant rivet-covered vessels were themselves shimmering from the heat.

Lieutenant Adler ordered the workers to be marched off to the Smelter Superintendent’s Office at gunpoint, ignoring the workers protests that things would go very badly if they were interrupted. He then ordered powerful charges to be placed around the three converters and their support machinery. He also ordered a team to rig explosives on the overhead travelling cranes that ran along under the ceiling trusses of the hall. He rigged more charges throughout the building on the two story tall furnaces, any obvious looking control systems, tanks, and other pieces of machinery. Fuses were traced around the machinery carefully, so that they would not snag on moving parts or be burned by hot spots, all these were hooked to an electric detonator, so the whole lot could be blown at once.

Adler opened a door out the back of the uppermost level, and was refreshed by the cool early morning air. A locomotive hooked up to thirty ore cars was parked on the siding. The locomotive he also rigged for demolition.

A sufficient party was left to guard the captive workers and the rigged explosives. Adler led 24 men outside, and split up into 3 teams of eight. Two of the three teams headed north to rig for demolition both the ‘A’ and ‘B’ railway lines as they crossed the chasm of Falls Creek on high steel bridges. This would isolate the smelter from the mines that supply it. The third team went west, climbed up above the highest level of the mill and rigged the penstock for the hydroelectric power plant. This would not only deny power for the turbines, but also inundate the buildings below and damage by flood areas that were not to be destroyed by explosives. On the way back to the rally point, the team that wired the ‘B’ railway trestle used up the last of their Dynamite rigging the machine shop, with its heavy tools. And the team that rigged the ‘A’ trestle, on their retreat expended their last Dynamite on the Oxygen and Hydrogen Plant. As Lieutenant Adler explained “Oxygen. Hydrogen.” He pantomimed an explosion with his arms and lip sounds. Then he checked his watch.

https://www.rdks.bc.ca/sites/default/files/docs/Anyox_Plan_M_of_M_1912.pdf

These men are efficient--someone aboard seems to understand mines and explosions rather well. I have a bad feeling about the Oxygen-Hydrogen explosion pending--might be a Castle Bravo type oopsie...how big are the tanks?

Probably pretty large considering the area the question is are we looking at something on the level of Halifax or not

Funhouse targets
Aug 17, 0500. Anyox BC.

Kampfgruppe Krüger rolled along the waterfront trestle on a handcart train. They had hitched two small flatcars ahead of a handcar, and one behind. The four strongest men laboured pumping the walking beam. Most of the remaining 16 men lay prone watching over the dim landscape of the bay with their rifles, or sat on one of the Dynamite crates. With every dip of the walking beam, there was a loud squeak. One machinist was leaning over the A-frame with an oil can trying to locate and quiet the sound.

Hauptbootsmann Krüger shook his head thinking that they had almost undertaken this trip by walking on the ties, thinking it would be quieter than an electric train. The waterfront trestle was at least two kilometers long, from where it left the south end of the wharf, to where it landed again at the Roundhouse. In between it curved in an arc over the water, supported 6 meters in the air on a timber lattice. Krüger could smell the creosote over the fumes from the smelter. He looked down between the ties, into the dark water of Granby Bay.

This had seemed like such a clever strategy during the planning meeting. They avoided any populated areas of the town to approach the locomotive roundhouse from its blind side facing the sea. Now that he was actually on it, Krüger could not imagine a better analogue for ducks in a fall fair shooting gallery. The men were literally on rails, with no cover possible at all. On their way to the objective they should remain hidden by the dim light of dawn. On their way back, with everything exploding they would be lit up like funhouse targets. One man with a rifle on that point called Smith Bluff could pick every one of them off. If the handcar became disabled they would have to walk this route back, at a gait determined by the railroad ties. One mis-step and it would be a long drop into the bay.

At least walking would have been quieter than the handcar’s infernal squeaking. Krüger hoped that the sound would be masked at any distance by the background noise from the smelter and the ships at the wharf. They stayed to the right as the track took a wye, rounded a point of land, and were looking straight down the trestle as it crossed Hidden Creek. Ahead was the Roundhouse. It was not round. The track they were on splayed to a six line rail yard before entering the roundhouse through huge barn doors. A number of locomotives, were sleeping there, but since the sailors were looking at the rows of engines end-on they could not tell how many.

Finally, Kampfgruppe Krüger pulled into the rail yard, and they stepped off onto solid ground. The Roundhouse sat on the very point of land where Hidden Creek and Falls Creek together emptied into Granby Bay. The main track they had arrived on continued past the point and crossed Hidden Creek, toward the centre of town, the sawmill, and the foundry. Eight small locomotives, five steam and three electric, were arranged on the tracks of the rail yard. The yard and the building were deserted. Beyond the barn doors, inside the square roundhouse, were another two similar locomotives in states of disassembly. The roundhouse offered a very impressive machine shop lining the outer walls, with full parts bins and a substantial overhead crane above. Hauptbootsmann Krüger ordered them all rigged for demolition, including the bridge over Hidden Creek. He looked at his watch.