The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Hey! "Zion's King Shall Reign Victorious" is a great, rousing hymn!
(Although, I do remember the reaction of our choir master's dad (Dutch, had fled during/immediately after WWII) to hearing us sing it.....)

And we stole it from the Austro-Hungarians, not the Nazis.

Das Deutschlandleid is a nice song, heard often by Formula 1 and Soccer fans, but it became the Anthem of the Wiemar Republic in 1922. The anthem of Imperial Germany was Heil dir im Siegerkranz, paradoxically sung to the same tune as God Save the King. This creates some confusing moments for the Anglican minister brass band conductor in the chapter entitled Heil dir im Siegerkranz.

@YYJ Was looking over this magnificent timline again and I remembered that awhile back I had asked if you had any maps of the exact routes ( specfically during shenanigans in British Columbia) of the important vessels of the story. I.e, German raiders, Rainbow, CC-1/CC-2. If memory serves me correctly, I think you said you had something along those lines but that they were a complete mess and that you might clean them up when the timeline came to a close. Do you think that would still be possible? I think it would make for an excellent reading aid. If not though, I completely understand.

Thanks!
BP

@YYJ Was looking over this magnificent timline again and I remembered that awhile back I had asked if you had any maps of the exact routes ( specfically during shenanigans in British Columbia) of the important vessels of the story. I.e, German raiders, Rainbow, CC-1/CC-2. If memory serves me correctly, I think you said you had something along those lines but that they were a complete mess and that you might clean them up when the timeline came to a close. Do you think that would still be possible? I think it would make for an excellent reading aid. If not though, I completely understand.

Thanks!
BP
I agree. I still have the notes. I am editing the main text now for continuity and to fix some glaring problems. I think some maps would be a helpful edition in whatever the final product is.

I had the good fortune to come in out of the rain for a pint at the old Union Steamship Resort at Snug Cove on Bowen Island. Noticing the decor, I said, "what will make this perfect now will be a map on the wall with Anyox as a destination." This map was hanging beside the next table. Note the stops at Anyox, Alice Arm, Swanson Bay, Butedale, Ocean Falls, Namu, and other places that figure in the story, but no longer exist, or just barely exist today. ITTL SS Cardena, pictured, was tied up at the wharf at Butedale, when Von Schönberg and Von Spee passed at dawn, and later sounded the alarm that Swanson Bay had been shelled.

Attachments

• Union Steamship Map copy.jpg
    Union Steamship Map copy.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Because this has sunk so far down, the only way I can find this thread to see the viewing stats is to make a new post. Hope that is not bad etiquette. The timeline isn't necroed, yet.