The R-QBAM main thread

Hello, I have done some minor fixes/contributions to the 1914 map and river map for Europe
1658667142765.png

1658666465624.png

Last edited:
1658698691991.png

California, Nevada and Utah are fully done! And Columbia and Frasser (althrough this will need clean-up when Canada costline get's done) basins are in the workings; after this 2 I'll probably chop up the Mississippi basin and do it in chunks, so yeah.

Hello, I have done some minor fixes/contributions to the 1914 map and river map for Europe
Oh thanks for the update on the mouth of the Vistula and Danube, I missed these ones; but the one you did in Vojvodina border at least in nowaday actually the older path I did is more correct, a chunk of the Sava Rivers don't go through the political border and enters Vojvodina territory, either way I cleaned it a little. Here how the current river world map looks right now;

1658697454721.png

One last thing, techinically speaking shouldn't Saint Kitts and Nevis have a administrative division since they are a federation (of 2 tiny islands, but still)? Idk how subdivision borders on water should look. Also other tangent, I know Mount Athos has a different pixel color from Grecee, but a territorial border on water could help to indentify it I guess?

One last thing, techinically speaking shouldn't Saint Kitts and Nevis have a administrative division since they are a federation (of 2 tiny islands, but still)? Idk how subdivision borders on water should look. Also other tangent, I know Mount Athos has a different pixel color from Grecee, but a territorial border on water could help to indentify it I guess?

My general solution to this problem is to just draw a line within the outline box in the autonomous region border colour and call it a day. It's not a solution that I particularly like, but it's the best one I've been able to think of. The change is just one of many added to the latest patch.

And apologies in advance, as I feel like I've just retroactively messed up a load of your work on the rivers patch. Hopefully its as easy to integrate as Europe was.

Patch 46 - North America overhaul;
- Added Honduras
- Added Nicaragua
- Waaay too many geographical patches to count, mostly removing lakes, although in some cases adding them. Seriously, this took ages to finish, but its done.

1658921033628.png

qazse

Gone Fishin'
My general solution to this problem is to just draw a line within the outline box in the autonomous region border colour and call it a day. It's not a solution that I particularly like, but it's the best one I've been able to think of. The change is just one of many added to the latest patch.

And apologies in advance, as I feel like I've just retroactively messed up a load of your work on the rivers patch. Hopefully its as easy to integrate as Europe was.

- Added Honduras
- Added Nicaragua
- Waaay too many geographical patches to count, mostly removing lakes, although in some cases adding them. Seriously, this took ages to finish, but its done.

View attachment 761839
I didn’t realise the Miskito Coast was THAT large.

Last edited:

qazse

Gone Fishin'

- Added Honduras
- Added Nicaragua

View attachment 761839
I think you should give the dark US colour to the District of Columbia as the District’s not a state.

Oh hi guys, quite a busy week I had, but I'm fine;
Just a few missing pixels but it was pretty easy to fix it in general.

So, here's how thing looks right now in N. America:
1659205387375.png

1659205415116.png

A little note: Fraser basin has a good chunk of it's river paths going through lakes, so once B. Columbia gets done it'll need revision
So current plans, finishing the Mississippi basin and Texas rivers, then the rest of US and later the new parts on Central America; and that's all for today.

I'll probably don't much time through the next week, so one more updade before I go afk: Mississippi basin is done! + most of the Dixie and US Great Lakes part too. So yeah, see you guys latter

1659293272248.png

1659293327909.png

Predictably, Syria took a while to complete because Civil War. I had the borders and lakes done after about a day, drawing on everything else, that was the kicker. As a side-note, I once again feel the need to mention that I'm using my own idiosyncratic version of Colour It Whatever You Like, hence the ... interesting colour choices for the various factions. And yes, many of these colours were drawn from many different colour schemes or even invented specifically for this map.

It's become practically a motto of mine that if you aren't breaking the colour scheme/making things up as you go along at least once when making a map, then you aren't doing things right.

Patch 47 - Levant 1;
- Added Syria, showing the ongoing messy civil war. Syrian government in purple, Rojava in red, areas jointly administered by the above two factions in mauve, direct Turkish occupation of the north in Turkish green with Turkish proxies in a lighter shade and the other minor factions in beige. And yes, I did go to the effort to show loose control over mostly empty desert by all applicable factions. I felt it matches with other maps I've done in the past.
- Added the Russian leased naval base at Tartus (its an official lease, I felt like showing it).
- Added Lebanon, including the areas currently de-facto controlled by Hezbollah.

1659381898050.png

Next up, finishing the Levant (Israel, Palestine, Jordan), then jumping back to North America to finish Central America (Costa Rica and Panama), followed by a push to finish the Mediterranean.

Having gotten Syria out of the way, the rest of the Levant was finished much quicker - the joys of few lakes, smooth coasts and straight-line borders through empty desert. That said, the whole Israel-Palestine thing was fiddly to map, though hopefully I've represented it well enough here.

Patch 48 - Levant 2;
- Added Jordan
- Added Israel
- Added Palestine. Gaza gets its own colour as it is currently governed separately from the rest of the state by Hamas. As for the West Bank, only those portions under Palestinian civil administration are highlighted, with the rest under Israeli occupation.

1659465431432.png

I know I said earlier that I was going to do Costa Rica-Panama next, but I honestly didn't feel like it today. Any schedules I announce here should be considered advisory and can be changed at a moment's notice if I feel like it. Right now, I just want to get the Mediterranean finished. North America can wait.

Patch 49 - Morocco;
- Added Morocco
- Added Western Sahara, showing the bits controlled by SADR and the rest by Morocco.

1659555569994.png

1659571545199.png

Not much time to do full things right now, but hey in the meanwhile, here's a quick little progress on the US's east coast.

And congratulations on the Syria mapping! Doing de facto maps of conflict zones is quite a endevour, and there's a ton messy places like that, not sure if you already know it but the Apolitical World Map might help at some extend on that, althrough it shows Libya being fine? So yeah, take that with a grain of salt...
Also, there's the rebel Zapatista municipalities in Chiapas, Mexico, that are a de facto indepedent area, but not claim independence... So idk, not sure if they should be included or not?

I feel like I'm on a roll this week. As I mentioned a few days ago, the smooth coasts, few lakes and straight-line borders of the Middle East means progress is happening surprisingly quickly. I should get Egypt done tomorrow (more straight lines, yay), then I'll spend a couple of days on the mess that is Libya before moving east to Iraq.

And congratulations on the Syria mapping! Doing de facto maps of conflict zones is quite a endevour, and there's a ton messy places like that, not sure if you already know it but the Apolitical World Map might help at some extend on that, althrough it shows Libya being fine? So yeah, take that with a grain of salt...
Also, there's the rebel Zapatista municipalities in Chiapas, Mexico, that are a de facto indepedent area, but not claim independence... So idk, not sure if they should be included or not?

Thanks for the link - I actually stumbled across that map on reddit about a month ago but never bothered to look up the original source, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Incidentally, do you know if they have links available for previous maps? Their mid-2022 map is decent, but I'm trying to map January 1st 2022, and after an admittedly brief peruse of their website I couldn't find any earlier maps.

And you raise a good point on accuracy. I have other sources/maps I'm using, which mostly corroborates their information, however there are a few problems. Regarding Libya, I think their map is right on a technicality. As I understand it, the civil war in Libya is officially over. Both major factions really went at each other through 2019 in an attempt to clinch a win, with inconclusive results. Then covid hit the following year, which combined with the above led to the signing of a peace of exhaustion type ceasefire. Their map is technically correct in that the civil war is indeed over, however though fighting has largely ceased, de-facto control of the country is divided between half a dozen factions and nearly as many mixed-control regimes. Which I'll soon be trying to map. Fun.

And I've been meaning to add the Zapatistas for a while - I wanted to add it during the last North America overhaul, but ran out of steam before I got around to it. It'll probably be added when I add Costa Rica and Panama.

As for my own sources, there are some pretty good conflict maps on wikipedia if you know where to look, which I've been using so far. Here's just one good example showcasing instability in Africa.

Anyway ...

Patch 49 - the Maghreb;
- Added Algeria
- Added Tunisia

1659638048635.png

Incidentally, do you know if they have links available for previous maps?
Unfortunately not. If I'm not mistaken, they usually do biannual updates, but this last year there were at least 4 editions I think because of Ukraine, the closest edition to January 2022 is the one they did I think is on December 1, 2021.
But in the middle of my research here I came across this QBAM here, I don't know if the author is also part of this forum, but regardless of that it's also a great reference too.

After five days of daily patches, this is probably the last for a few days. As mentioned previously, de-facto control in Libya is messy, and'll probably take a couple of days to map out.

In the meantime, Egypt. Quick note, there's another annoying geography patch to raise with this one - the Toshka Lakes. In the late 90's, excess water stored in Lake Nasser was allowed to overflow into a chain of depressions to the north west. By 1999, small lakes were forming, and over the last 23 years these lakes have appeared, disappeared, grown and shrank multiple times depending on just how full lake Nasser is.

You can get a good idea of the sequence of changes by looking at historical satellite imagery of the lakes available in Google Earth (might be a good idea to make a year-by-year patch for that), but for this map I turned once again to zoom.earth. The region is clearly visible in this screenshot from the 2nd of January, showing that basically all the lakes were completely or almost completely filled, hence what I've tried to show here.

The patch also features Bir Tawil, one of only three remaining chunks of terra nullius alongside Marie Byrd Land in Antarctica and a tiny island on the Serbo-Croatian border.

Unfortunately not. If I'm not mistaken, they usually do biannual updates, but this last year there were at least 4 editions I think because of Ukraine, the closest edition to January 2022 is the one they did I think is on December 1, 2021.

Eh, close enough. I'm using multiple sources, adding in another can't hurt, even if its off by a month.

But in the middle of my research here I came across this QBAM here, I don't know if the author is also part of this forum, but regardless of that it's also a great reference too.

I always find it amusing to see a QBAM in the wild as it were. If I had to make a guess, I'd say whoever made that map was at least lurking on the forum around 2011-2015. The version is what I'd call a second generation QBAM - its after the big 2011 overhaul, but before the QBAM got further patched more extensively by about a dozen people (myself included) cumulatively starting around 2016. And then there's the colour scheme they used - there are a lot of recognisable colours used but also some very odd choices as well, implying that they were here for a lot of modern colour scheme development but not all of it. Interesting map nonetheless, and useful too.

Patch 49 - Egypt;
- Added Egypt
- Added Bir Tawil (Terra Nullius)

1659728302620.png